• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nusuth

Nusuth's 2nd Challenge - Resist the Heat

Longer version live by Cinema Symphony for the fans : www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64HCi2rQkE

(had to delete the http:\\ for it not to embed automaticly)

Main-Quest :

To be alive so I can die content.

My fascination for Zombies is due for a big deal from the idea that most people are actually ‘walking dead’ in their daily shuffle.  With people starting to live when life becomes surviving.

So I’m taking this ‘Zombie apocalypse preparation’ dead-serious :panda:

In a few months from now I want to be a man that looks back at every week, even day, as time I’ve improved myself instead of just ‘doing my time on earth’.

Challenge: Resist the heat

All motivation, gains & habits from my first challenge are melting away in the summer-heat.  Save your soul by :

Workout : in the morning 3x week (2STR, 2STA, 1CON)

• Set alarm at 06:00
  • Go for an interval-run in the nearby park
  • Every round hit the children playground & do chin-ups or body weight rows
  • Set alarm at 21:00, enter no-technology chill down period, be in bed by time it’s dark.
  • First 2weeks:  Start with 1week-run & 1weekend-run as proof of concept
  • Next 4weeks:  Up to 2week-runs & 1weekend-run.

Diet : Make ‘healthy’ snack in the evening, first thing after shower. (3CON, 1STA, 1CHA)

• Anything that isn’t alcohol or Soda is allowed
  • Thinking smoothie / milkshakes / tea with nibble / nuts / fruit

Life goal : Learn Thai language 30min/day (3CHA, 2WIS)

• Make sure learning material is in bag to work.
  • Try to use the time on the train (2chances of 40min)
  • Buy mp3-player or phone to listen to audio-files
  • Eat vegetable meals as lunch(prep in evening) so I don’t get struck by after-lunch sleepiness and sleep on the train home.

Helpful l Tasks :

• Construct a mosquito screen (I’m not a handy jack, got to go buy the material, lend the tools, construct the thing ;  The added value to my sleep in this heat would be invaluable)

Life goal Task

• Give myself a life changing birthday present by subscribing to an Aikido Dojo at start of September.

This last is also my Motivation for this challenge ‘Feel good enough to enter a Dojo’

I know if I’m living the slacker-life in August, I’ll be feeling so ashamed of myself start September I won’t dare to enter a Dojo.

There's a line in a song that goes, "Just because you're breathing/Doesn't mean you're alive." I think your challenge exemplifies that well.

Go for it!

Life goal Task

• Give myself a life changing birthday present by subscribing to an Aikido Dojo at start of September.

I fully endorse this goal for awesome points.  You can't do anything with awesome points beyond being more awesome, however.  It's like a gamer score... of awesome.

Challenge looks good, brothah!  Definitely should get your blood pumping.  Or maybe that's mostly the morning workout (good luck with that, by the way.  My body throws a revolt any time I try it.)

Tnx for the endorsments/supports

added music that sounded suitable at beginning of post, as it seems to be a custom here :) (couldnt do this at work)

YES, GitS. I love that song in particular. And you said that someone did a DnB of it? Crazy awesome.

jup, that DnB version was for free on soundcloud, it was a recording of a 3hour set of some party in the netherlands, but then they changed the layout/searchmachine of soundcloud & I cant find the guy back.  I think i've downloaded his set tho, so it's a lead to refinding the data; i'm on it..

and yes, my hd is a junkyard  ...

Hi Nusuth! I like your theme and the concept of being alive as an active choice (listening to the long version, not used to this kind of music but liking it!). 

I really like your goal of doing exercise in the morning, I have found that doing so leaves you full of energy for the rest of the day. Keep it up!

Your next challenge will surely include your dojo adventures, I´m looking forward to that too.

Love how this challenge combines zombies and Aikido. Can't wait to see how things turn out.

It's funny you say that. There's an instructor at my dojo who does a randori where the ukes pretend they are zombies with the sole goal of mobbing the tori. Tori just is supposed to survive as long as possible.

Excellent, Nu. And I see I'm not the only one liking your philosophy of actively living versus being a 'walking dead' type just going through the motions. Morning exercises are the B E S T. I'm in Florida, so anything after 8am is hot, humid misery. As a bonus, getting out around 6:30 usually has me out long enough to see the sunrise. Watching the world wake up is a fantastic mood booster. Good luck!

It's funny you say that. There's an instructor at my dojo who does a randori where the ukes pretend they are zombies with the sole goal of mobbing the tori. Tori just is supposed to survive as long as possible.

First time I ever went into my dojo they decided at the end to go over some of the techniques you could use against zombies. :D 

I can't remember most of them now (things take a while to stick with me) but they were pretty fun.

I need to find an Aikido club that does that. It sounds like so much fun~!

Nusuth:

Hecka awesome challenge, mate!

I'm starting to think I oughta do a zombie-themed challenge sometime soon. Though, I freak out at the mention of anything similar to horror. Can't handle it...

Fantastic goals, though! I love the incorporating the park. You're giving me the idea that, if I can work up to doing pull-ups next summer, I should run to a close by park and do that for a while. :3

on a funny note... I totally read "hit the children in the playground" instead of what you'd written. Apparently Mouse hasn't had her morning coffee yet.

Fantastic goals, though! I love the incorporating the park. You're giving me the idea that, if I can work up to doing pull-ups next summer, I should run to a close by park and do that for a while. :3

that's my minor reason for using the playground: i cant do pull-ups by far, but they have a lower bar on that playground.  Perfect excercise to work up to a proper pullup.

on a funny note... I totally read "hit the children in the playground" instead of what you'd written. Apparently Mouse hasn't had her morning coffee yet.

Mjep ..  that would be my Major reason for doing this in the morning b4 8am.  After we locked up a Pedofile like 10years ago, some 4years ago we had a sicko Knifing infants in a nursery.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendermonde_nursery_attack

Approuching a place with children without having one is .. 'heavely frowned upon' these days.  I'm sure if we hadn't have an anti-gun legislation, I would get gunned down on nearing the playground during daytime.

Top reason stays offcourse the heat,  cant get myself to do anything in this summer-heat.

Awesome challenge, we both have different takes on similar themes. Just like AIkido is from the same roots as Hapkido. I miss my morning workouts, but starting work at 5:30am every morning makes it kind of hard to get up any earlier so i have to opt for evening ones. I really envy you there. Let's watch each other's backs while we fight off the undead hordes!

that's my minor reason for using the playground: i cant do pull-ups by far, but they have a lower bar on that playground.  Perfect excercise to work up to a proper pullup.

Mjep ..  that would be my Major reason for doing this in the morning b4 8am.  After we locked up a Pedofile like 10years ago, some 4years ago we had a sicko Knifing infants in a nursery.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendermonde_nursery_attack

Approuching a place with children without having one is .. 'heavely frowned upon' these days.  I'm sure if we hadn't have an anti-gun legislation, I would get gunned down on nearing the playground during daytime.

Top reason stays offcourse the heat,  cant get myself to do anything in this summer-heat.

Oh, I wish mine had that. I have to use the Smith Machine at the gym to set up for inverted rows. Though I think I might re-start my progressions on that one.

Ergh, that's crazy. I can see why that would be a good choice to do that in the morning then.

Though, I've always wondered - do you think "adult playgrounds" will come about? Like, y'know, bigger versions of monkey bars and slides and bouldering areas and those metal constructs that we can climb on? I think it'd be a great way to reintroduce a "play as exercise" mentality. What do you think?

Though, I've always wondered - do you think "adult playgrounds" will come about? Like, y'know, bigger versions of monkey bars and slides and bouldering areas and those metal constructs that we can climb on? I think it'd be a great way to reintroduce a "play as exercise" mentality. What do you think?

I think the world would be a nicer place if it would.  It's not likely to happen tho i'm afraid, people are moving away from sport & excercise.  Maybe if programs as the '10k steps' become a succes in the future, 'play as excercis' could be a great follow-up

Hey Nush, I really like how you laid out your challenge. And the motivation to join a Dojo... you won't regret doing that! Many of the most awesome days -sport wise and social wise- in my early twenties were somehow related to kick-boxing and the people I met at my Dojo. 

Go for it!

From what I saw when I went on a 'field trip' with a friend, that's pretty much all a rock climbing gym is.  Then again, I was very much glasses-less and confused as hell.

Well:  my start aint the best.  Learning language 2/3, healthy snacks in the evening 0/3, morning-exercise.. my gear is spread out ready next to bed.  but If i'll have the strenght to get out at 06:00.. I hope so, only 2days left to get that done ..

As I've commented on other people challenges which had 'sleeping-goals' , sleep is the key to all.  Eating healthy, working out, focussing, being happy; all comes forth out of sleep..

It really does. The willpower to develop new and better habits is totally built on the foundation of a well-rested mind.

Aaand, i'm half way of saving my week!  I actually did it.  Made healthy snack, no alcohol, went to bed 22:00, got out again at 23:00, read a book + warm milk & honey.  Back to sleep around 24:00; woke up twice, but already felt that the quality of sleep was way better.  06:30 alarm, 6:50 walking on the street still a little zombified.  All in all, the running wasn't that bad.  I did realize my knowledge on interval running is 'limited'.  So I just accelerated for a short distance, leaving a big gap so I could walk towards the Playground & catch my breath for the Chin-ups / Inverted rows. 

The Chin-ups were dramatic, if it doesn't improve over time, I might have to reconsider doing this inside a run.  Then again.. If I have a zombie on my tail, i might have to climb something at the end of a run as well so ...    The inverted rows felt good. 

Didn't do real stretching, I was dying against a wall while trying, and I was stressed about getting to work.(I got lucky catching a bus just in time, got there well inside limits).  If I do all of this one half hour earlier as planned, this will be a breeze.

Now I just have to repeat this Sunday-morning to have a good first week result.

Great job, you can finish the week strong. A good stretch to help lengthen your achilles tendon is pressing against a wall with one foot back, leg straight with the front knee bent. Something to do while you're dying against that wall. ;)

Well, it doesn't help any that chins and pull ups are just hard to start with. You add on the work of recovering from a run, and you make them harder. But if you're going to duck zombies, it's something you gotta learn to pair together.