• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nusuth

Nusuth's 2nd Challenge - Resist the Heat

10th day of no drinking.  2nd week was actually harder.  While sleep felt better, I woke up with the need to have slept the double.  Deskjob was hard with the screen resembling a radiating nuclear reactor.  Had a lot of headaches & mood-swings resulting in bad food choices.  While I stayed within the boundaries of the challenge (no alcohol/soda) , a bottle of chocolate milk with chips is hardly to be considered a 'healthy snack' ...

all in all :  waistline stays hovering around 103cm this week.  I'm all ready content with the result in the mirror & am confident i'll pinch another 1-2cm off by next Tuesday. 

I'm projecting myself at the Dojo next week & this made me realize I need to plan in a couple of hours of maintenance on my 2years not used bicycle in order to get to the place :numbness:

Maybe chocolate milk and chips are not the optimal choice, but if that is what is required once in a while to keep you going towards your goals, so be it. Changing drinking habits is incredibly difficult and yet you persist. You are admirable Nusuth! =D

Workout 0/3  (I did some BWW, but they still don't count in this challenge...)

Diet 6/7 

Life 0/7  (too much headache's & tiredness)

I'm ready to really believe this story about limited Willpower.  Now that I'm acing the Diet I was totally wrecked to do some studying.  With the headaches & tiredness I've been sleeping on the train & really couldn't be motivated to study anything in the evening.

My 13th day of no booze. Sunday, after a really good night sleep, I woke up into a constant medium headache.  It drove me insane.  At last I made walk to other side of town to a friends house,  & drank there a 0.5bottle of cola with 2 cigarettes(I quit smoking years ago) in the hope the sugar or caffeine or nicotine would sooth the pain. 

September: re-opening of the evening-classes.   Tonight yoga  ; looking forward to the Aikido tomorrow .  Didn't fix my bike(couldn't find the damn key :)  , so i'll have to go there by bus.

And apparently I get a chance to slightly redeem myself on the 'Resist the heat'-theme of this challenge.  Weather forecast indicate a constant rising of the ° this week till we end up at 30°.

A good final motivation to do some morning-workouts.

This weekend I noticed I'm almost through my flask of White Pepper.  This is the first time in my life I've ever needed to buy a new one for running out.    A symbol of my cooking frenzy these last challenges.

Allso : This lunch I opted for the 'healthy choice' on the menu at work.  Asperge rolls with salad.   Having cooked these fresh a couple a weeks ago, the comparison was appalling.  They were clearly out of a container, and even the lettuce seemed .. artificial.. 

I guess once you go fresh, you cant go back ....

And so I went to my first Aikido-class, and injured a muscle at the left side of my chest :numbness:    Probably nothing, I only feel it when I do certain stretches.

Aikido is fun tho & I liked the group of people practicing it.  I'm probably set for a few months.  Only thing that can make me crash is the feeling of total uselessness.  at some point I felt as a total idiot.  I was totally adrift as to.. which foot should be infront, what direction the punch would come from, how to do a proper punch myself.   The ritme & quick succession of different exercises pulled me through.  I sure hope those moves will become more natural quickly ...

I'm ready to really believe this story about limited Willpower.  Now that I'm acing the Diet I was totally wrecked to do some studying.  With the headaches & tiredness I've been sleeping on the train & really couldn't be motivated to study anything in the evening.

My 13th day of no booze. Sunday, after a really good night sleep, I woke up into a constant medium headache.  It drove me insane.  At last I made walk to other side of town to a friends house,  & drank there a 0.5bottle of cola with 2 cigarettes(I quit smoking years ago) in the hope the sugar or caffeine or nicotine would sooth the pain. 

September: re-opening of the evening-classes.   Tonight yoga  ; looking forward to the Aikido tomorrow .  Didn't fix my bike(couldn't find the damn key :)  , so i'll have to go there by bus.

And apparently I get a chance to slightly redeem myself on the 'Resist the heat'-theme of this challenge.  Weather forecast indicate a constant rising of the ° this week till we end up at 30°.

A good final motivation to do some morning-workouts.

Man, I hear you! I used to be able to study like 4 hours a day during university. Now 1 hour is enough to make groan. Concentration is a muscle too... Also headaches don´t help. The walk was a fantastic idea. Just be careful with the cigarettes =).

Well, it´s not like we can control the weather anyway. I haven´t been able go out to run in half this challenge because it rains every morning where I live! XD

This weekend I noticed I'm almost through my flask of White Pepper.  This is the first time in my life I've ever needed to buy a new one for running out.    A symbol of my cooking frenzy these last challenges.

Allso : This lunch I opted for the 'healthy choice' on the menu at work.  Asperge rolls with salad.   Having cooked these fresh a couple a weeks ago, the comparison was appalling.  They were clearly out of a container, and even the lettuce seemed .. artificial.. 

I guess once you go fresh, you cant go back ....

I have noticed I only cook elaborate things when I´m very hungry, what about you?

Good call on the choice! Shame it wasn´t up to your taste, but let´s be honest: many places can´t keep up with homemade deliciousness.

And so I went to my first Aikido-class, and injured a muscle at the left side of my chest :numbness:    Probably nothing, I only feel it when I do certain stretches.

Aikido is fun tho & I liked the group of people practicing it.  I'm probably set for a few months.  Only thing that can make me crash is the feeling of total uselessness.  at some point I felt as a total idiot.  I was totally adrift as to.. which foot should be infront, what direction the punch would come from, how to do a proper punch myself.   The ritme & quick succession of different exercises pulled me through.  I sure hope those moves will become more natural quickly ...

Congratulations on your first class! Hope the chest muscle won´t give you trouble.

Don´t worry. You will get to it soon. If you feel you have trouble here are 3 tips that may help you:

1) Don´t think too much: Go with the flow. Even if you make a mistake, don´t worry. Correct your stand, position, or movement on the next rep, circuit, etc. Don´t stop. The less your think about your body doing the movements the better you will do. But always observe carefully. Don´t worry if others look at you funny or anything, you are learning and you have all the right in the world to make mistakes.

2) Slow then fast: When at home, practice the movements that give you trouble. Do them as slowly as you can. This will set a precedent for muscle memory. The principle is that if you can do it slowly you´ll eventually will be able to do it faster.

3) Sleep on it: Practice a bit before going to sleep but don´t increase heart rate (Goes with 2). Only a few minutes are necessary. Then go to sleep. We "rewire" our brains when we sleep. Just a few days, and you´ll find yourself having developed the new muscle memory.

I hope this helps =D. Rock on!

Yeah to sports injury. You don't really know if you actually injured it or if it's just a pull or something from having not been used in so long. I'm not saying you should drop and start doing push ups off of it, but it shouldn't stop your training either. You should have other things you can use to warm up, and since aikido focuses more on joint throws than anything else, you shouldn't have to worry about freaking out your chest via punching things.

Also, focus on beating the drink. You can fix the rest of your diet later, but right now beating the drink is the most important thing. Beat that first. Then start to focus on something else.

Congratulations on your first class! Hope the chest muscle won´t give you trouble.

Don´t worry. You will get to it soon. If you feel you have trouble here are 3 tips that may help you:

1) Don´t think too much: Go with the flow. Even if you make a mistake, don´t worry. Correct your stand, position, or movement on the next rep, circuit, etc. Don´t stop. The less your think about your body doing the movements the better you will do. But always observe carefully. Don´t worry if others look at you funny or anything, you are learning and you have all the right in the world to make mistakes.

2) Slow then fast: When at home, practice the movements that give you trouble. Do them as slowly as you can. This will set a precedent for muscle memory. The principle is that if you can do it slowly you´ll eventually will be able to do it faster.

3) Sleep on it: Practice a bit before going to sleep but don´t increase heart rate (Goes with 2). Only a few minutes are necessary. Then go to sleep. We "rewire" our brains when we sleep. Just a few days, and you´ll find yourself having developed the new muscle memory.

I hope this helps =D. Rock on!

All of what Zuel said.  All of it.

I think it took me 3 months of going fairly regularly to start understanding what people meant by certain attacks, another 6 to understand what certain throws looked like, and another 3 to get comfortable enough that vague body positions were enough for me to get the idea of the throw (which meant I could skip wearing glasses and not worry about breaking another pair).  It's taken another 6 months to get comfortable with letting people attack me regularly and just letting my body do whatever throw comes naturally.

Few things though to add to what Zuel said:

1) Attack Directionality: Unless the style you're doing is weird, always look at the thrower's front foot.  You should imagine stepping through and attacking that foot with the back leg (if their right foot is forward, you'll likely be attacking with the left hand and vice versa).

2) +1 to Zuel's Slow But Fast: While practicing without a partner won't help you later on (since you'd be lacking the momentum and breakpoints that most techniques rely on), it will help cement the basic movements.  Let your arms flail around a bit early on.  Get the arm and foot positions in place, THEN worry about where and what your center is doing.  It wasn't really uncommon to see me waiting in the lab and practicing different techniques against ghosts.

3) ASK: Don't be shy.  Ask people before class and after class to help you work on things.  I am a shy mother fugger, and I wish I had done that earlier.  Grab an advanced student, ask how to do techniques from the class you just were part of.  Ask how to roll better.  Ask if they can show you something cool.  Not only will it help you learn more, it will also help you become more familiar and comfortable at the dojo. (It's not over uncommon for me now to hijack a shodan and poke them with questions.  Actually, a few people now purposefully "pick on" me since they know I'll try to get them to break things down... which helps them.  I'm at the point where very basic techniques I can almost describe to very new students, and it is one of those moments of "teaching improves you" moments.)

4) Watch: Watching senior students can be epic.  And you can glean things once you're mind starts understanding how to watch the tori-uke relationship.  You can end up seeing really awesome techniques that aren't frequently found in classes, which is always a way to impress instructors later on down the line.

5) Have FUN: Seriously.  Yes, be serious during class as appropriate, but I've come to understand that playing around on the mats afterwards will get you just as much information as a strict class.  Find a few people who are also new, ask if they want to try a few different attacks against you so you can see what your body said.  (I have a hard time doing this, while a friend of mine does it ALL THE TIME.  I'm really jealous, actually, because I don't have that type of creativity.  Maybe someday, once I get comfortable enough with the material I'll then futz around like he does, but for now I find it difficult.  That being said, I feel like my body finds techniques a bit easier than his does during randori, so it's a trade off...)

Okay, I'm going to stop now because apparently I can write novels.  I don't want to bore you.  Keep up the good work though, Nusuth! :)

I have noticed I only cook elaborate things when I´m very hungry, what about you?

Oh, I do not cook elaborate at all.   I usually just chop up a vegetable & steam it + a piece of meat.

I follow www.theguycancook.com  ,  it's all very minimal , I think a 'pot roast' is the most 'complicated' thing I made so far , it had 3vegetables :)

We "rewire" our brains when we sleep. Just a few days, and you´ll find yourself having developed the new muscle memory.

Aye, that's actually the same advice as my old Tai-Chi teacher, he called it Cell-memory or body-memory.. same thing

I should remind myself of this often as anti-stressant.

Few things though to add to what Zuel said:

I'll reread these from time to time  ;  tnx !

Oh, I do not cook elaborate at all.   I usually just chop up a vegetable & steam it + a piece of meat.

I follow www.theguycancook.com  ,  it's all very minimal , I think a 'pot roast' is the most 'complicated' thing I made so far , it had 3vegetables :)

Aye, that's actually the same advice as my old Tai-Chi teacher, he called it Cell-memory or body-memory.. same thing

I should remind myself of this often as anti-stressant.

I'll reread these from time to time  ;  tnx !

Haha, you do well. I just went into the link you posted:

...the pros just don’t know what it’s like for cooking to just be a part of your life rather than its main focus.

I ctrl+D´ed  so fast after reading that line. XD Good philosophy.

You deserve to get a lot from your classes. Wish you luck and success! 

Weekly challenge:

Workout 0/3  (I did some BWW, but they still don't count in this challenge...)

Diet 4/7  (Free choice again since last Friday, soccer game & birthday-fest weekend: anticipated )

Life 0/7  (this went out of scope totally ..)

Challenge summary :

workout :  2/15  : well, that kinda kills the topic of the challenge 'resist the heat' ... didnt happen.

diet : 15/42 : not even half, but made a 'last shot' effort to get me on track before september.

Life : 17/42 : I tought I only crashed on the study the last 2weeks, but apprantly it's 3.

Aight, numbers don't lie: I guess I didnt lvl up at all this challenge. 

But as NF boards are not about the past but focussing on the future, I'd better get something positive out of it:

As Kishi pointed out : the primary-focus is the booze-controll..   I made myself a certified daily binge-drinker in 4years, i guess I need at least 2years of soberness to compensate.. ( /ugh ... )  No point in counting grain-less days, paleo-cooking days, eating fruit, or whatever as long as the weak-point of them all is the 'evening-before' .

Life-quest : studying farang language:  plain easy as long as keep your body healthy & your sleep plenty.

workout : you did it twice, it's possible.  Switch the time-table. get addicted to workout by next heat-wave.

Hey, like you said, borked challenges are never really borked unless you don't learn from them.  It looks like you have, and from that you can progress.  Yea, you might not have leveled up in the Rebel way, but you certainly leveled up in the Human way.  Which in the grand scheme of things is really the most important thing.

You'll rock the next challenge, I know.

Don´t be discouraged at all. Every little step we take is worthy. And staying away from booze is a big one!

Also: you started Aikido! How cool is that? =D

I hope to read you in the next challenge!

Hmmmm,  True  :

This last is also my Motivation for this challenge ‘Feel good enough to enter a Dojo’

I know if I’m living the slacker-life in August, I’ll be feeling so ashamed of myself start September I won’t dare to enter a Dojo.

I might have flunked the first weeks with the heat and all.  But in the end, the last weeks were that good, I felt on top of the world when going to the Dojo.  

No sense in feeling down about the challenge, it did what it was supposed to do :)

Exactly! This challenges are not about 100% completion. Are about instilling healthy choices that stay with us for longer. If you keep at least those 2 goals with you (booze control and going to aikido classes) you are on the right track.  :onthego:

You did good all things considered, these challenges always teach us how we can be better and each one we face makes us stronger. I look forward to seeing you in future challenges! Remember the two benefits of failure. First, if you do fail, you learn what doesn't work; and second, the failure gives you the opportunity to try a new approach.