Kiwi’s 6th: Globetrotting Kiwi goes further.

KiwiChick

Kiwi’s 6th: Globetrotting Kiwi goes further.

Goodness knows where I will be in 6 weeks or how I will get there, if all goes well I imagine I will be jumping around from Australia, New Zealand, USA (road trip!) and Mexico (Hola new home!).   My main aim of this challenge is not to let travelling derail the good progress I have made in previous challenges – keep up the running and general healthy goodness.  Last challenge I improved my running speed well but I want to be able to get back into my beloved half marathons so need to run further.

Main Quest: Be able to run for 2 hours* pain free. 

If anyone has tips on IT bands please let me know – I am so sick of this really messing with my running.  I need my happy running time in my life.

* So I can enter any half marathons that might pop up where ever I am in the world.  Long term I want to crack 1:45 for a half and 45 mins for 10km but that will come much later when I can safely improve my speed again once I have a better run base.

3 Goals for 6 weeks to help this:

1: Run Further

I will add a sensible time or km goal each week to increase my running slowly.  Week 0 is about tracking the time and km this week and I will base to improve on this each week. Im thinking of adding 2 km or 10 mins a week to my run total.

2: Run Stronger

Travelling and working out has never really worked for me – so I will aim for 3 types of strength sessions a week.

3: Eat Cleaner

When I eat well I am mentally in a better place and I have more energy for running as well as recovery.  Not sure how to work this goal yet as I’m pretty good at tracking my food but I can see this going out the window while travelling.  Also I see margaritas and tacos in my future which my taste buds love but messes with my body.  I don’t think a calorie goal is going to work – perhaps I should aim to eat X serves of vegis everyday or something.

Life Goal: Quality Mr Kiwi time

Poor Mr Kiwi has really been neglected this year as we both focused on work and I haven’t seen him since late Feb, which just sucks, I miss him so much.  So this goal isn’t just about being reunited – it is about adjusting to being together again and prior to that really putting in effort on the phone for quality talks not just a quick skype on my way to work.

Side goal - tbc

Details on goals, grading and attribute points to follow soon.

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

I hear you on the ITB thing.  I'm nervous about increasing my mileage again, but hopefully it's back in shape.

I'll be interested to hear which direction you decide to go on the food goal, too.  I was also tempted to aim for eating x amount of veggies/fruits a day instead of a negative "don't eat x" goal this time, but decided to just monitor what I eat (which hopefully will lead to more mindful eating habits without quantifying).

Yay new challenge!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

We'll be waiting for you eagerly on this side of the big pond!

And goodluck with your goals!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

USA roadtrip with a possible half? you'll have to let us know where you end up so we can join you.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

All the traveling sounds fun.  Excited for you to reunite with Mr. Kiwi!  I'm with you on the clean eating.  It makes a world of difference in my mental and emotional stability.

My right ITB was giving me issues during my first challenge.  I went to the chiropractor to find that I was really out of alignment.  So much in fact that my right leg was about an inch & a half longer than the left.  After the realignment and some stretching I was as good as new.  If I have rolled my legs out and stretched for a solid week and it still hurts I make an adjustment appointment.  It has really helped!  Also had a deep tissue massage, specifically on my hip flexor area.  Very painful, but helpful.

Best of luck Kiwi!

Scout

Battle Log - Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets

1st Challenge - 2nd Challenge - 3rd Challenge

"He must become greater; I must become less.†John 3:30

Updated Goals with points! and Life goal changed.

Main Quest: Be able to run for 2 hours pain free.

3 Goals for 6 weeks to help this:

1: Run Further STA 3 DEX 1

Last week I ran 22km in total, so each week I am aiming to run another 2km running either 3-4 times per week. Hopefully this enables me to increase my distance safely. Grading A=all weeks completed, minus a grade per weeks goal not met.

Week 1: 24 km

Week 2: 26 km

Week 3: 28 km

Week 4: 30 km

Week 5: 32 km

Week 6: 34 km

2: Run Stronger STR 4

Travelling and working out has never really worked for me – so I will aim for 3 types of strength sessions a week.

Usual kiwi grading system (minus part grade per workout missed). Will use gym while I am still in oz and switch to body strength while traveling.

3: Eat Cleaner CON 4

I am going to aim for a positive goal rather than elimination goal here - I am going to eat two bowls (or equivalent) of vegis per day! Will grade each week usual usual grading system.

4: Life Goal - Paper work WIS 3

Today I got all my mail sent to me from NZ and it was horrifying how much paper work I have to attend to! So I have to spend 2 hours a week catching up on all my business, tax etc paperwork. Minus a grade per hour missed.

Side Goal: Quality Mr Kiwi time.

Poor Mr Kiwi has really been neglected this year as we both focused on work and I haven’t seen him since late Feb, which just sucks, I miss him so much. So this goal isn’t just about being reunited – it is about adjusting to being together again and prior to that really putting in effort on the phone for quality talks not just a quick skype on my way to work.

So good news my usa visa has been all sorted out - it was a massive mission and I had to spend a few days longer in Perth than I had hoped, so today I had the fun 10 hour drive back into the middle of nowhere outback. I had a massive vegi salad for lunch and vegi soup for tea. Get back into exercise and normal crazy life again tomorrow. I opened all my NZ mail paperwork (was very traumatic) and hence decided this was a necessary life goal.

Great updated goals.

And I hate paperwork too.

german

monkey scout

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Tuesday - 3 big bowls of vegis, my work mates thought I was mad because after dinner I made of bowl of green beans, I was super hungry and thought hey good choice to fill up on.  Also worked 2.5 hours on my paperwork, but combined with 11 hours work no exercise time :(

Running is a priority today and I will be having a break from work before the sun sets so I can tick some km's off - plus my legs are super super twitchy so need to run them out.

I like the updated goals, although I hope in "Eat Cleaner", the second word is an adverb not a noun... Or has life in the outback turned you into a cannibal?

Anyway, lame jokes aside, glad to see things are moving along with the visa & what-not.

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Whoop Whoop - passport arrived safely back in the post so I can all cleared for USA!

Wednesday - Run was horrible, but I was expecting this after 2 x 10 hr car trips, no foam rolling, lack of stretching and gym, so managed a very slow 7.3 km.  Vegis - green beans (with coconut oil and chillis) a massive tomato and heaps of salads and vegis for tea.

I totally forgot about the pvp burpee challenge - so into that aiming to do 50 a day.  Today kinda hurt so I hope they get better!

Week 1 Run total: 7.3 km (16.7km to go)

@18ck - tehehehe nom nom nom cleaners  

Whoop Whoop - passport arrived safely back in the post so I can all cleared for USA!

Wednesday - Run was horrible, but I was expecting this after 2 x 10 hr car trips, no foam rolling, lack of stretching and gym, so managed a very slow 7.3 km.  Vegis - green beans (with coconut oil and chillis) a massive tomato and heaps of salads and vegis for tea.

I totally forgot about the pvp burpee challenge - so into that aiming to do 50 a day.  Today kinda hurt so I hope they get better!

Week 1 Run total: 7.3 km (16.7km to go)

@18ck - tehehehe nom nom nom cleaners  

just to clarify, tea is a time of the day, a meal, a beverage or all the above?, I think I've misunderstood some of your comments!

german

monkey scout

tea - beverage

tea (time) - dinner

Sorry about that! Yes I ate lots of salad and vegis for dinner, I will keep an eye out for my kiwi-isms :)

It must be a kiwi/aussie thing

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Thursday

many many vegis and salad for both lunch and dinner

50 burpees - check.

1 x gym work out done, it was only short but I did a decent squat and abs session.

Work is getting a bit crazy, but Im making some time out to exercise a priority as I need to stay healthy or else I cant function at work properly.

I have been very nice to Mr Kiwi all week on the phone, I got a blue tooth headset thingy which means we can actually hear each other properly now so I do not get frustrated as much by our combined remote locations having bad service.  Before we could hardly talk as both our lines were so bad.

Still to do this week: continue vegis and burpees, 2 more runs (should hit my total with that), 2 more gyms.

Looks like some great goals there! I'm sure that you can conquer this challenge, no matter how much travelling you have to do!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My running and especially working out usually goes out the window when I travel - fingers cross this challenge keeps me on track :)

Thanks too Shortstuff, hopefully I can get the double gym session in this weekend.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines