Challenge #3:Trials of Fire and Shadows

Courage is our most powerful weapon

Anyone who followed my previous challenge will know that I’ve been planning to take a trip to New Zealand to visit the woman I’ve been in love with for 7-8 years.

There are so many barriers keeping us apart it feels like a losing battle in my moments of weakness. The financial barrier is the most obvious,

but there are other emotional and mental barriers that are preventing this. Working out gives me an outlet to vent my frustrations,

hone my body, improve my overall mood, and makes me feel like I can take on the world, and win.

So this challenge I am increasing my minimum workouts to 4x/week, to keep my body functioning at its peak,

both physically and emotionally so I’m prepared to withstand anything life throws at me.

A: 24+ workouts - B:20+ - C:18+ - D:16+ - F: anything less

(+3 STR, +2 DEX)

The most difficult choices are often to best

As some of you may know I officially got approval for the name of my company, which will be Righteous Blade Studios.

Now the next step, I have to get my company registered with this name now that I’ve gotten it approved (Long tedious process… making a company).

This should hopefully be fairly straight forward, but I want to research some more and make absolutely sure I’m going about it the correct way to meet my needs

(all these legal documents are going to do my head in).

I want to keep it sole proprietorship, so that I don’t get screwed by some board or majority shareholders or something that don’t give a damn about the games,

and corrupt my company just to pad their bottom line. So I need to make sure I take appropriate measures so this cannot happen.

This is a pass or fail.

(+2 CHA)

Shields up, and smite the smirking face of adversity

Before I can start to publish I also need a way to protect my intellectual property, which means trademarks and/or copyrights.

So I need to figure out exactly what I need for the type of products I’ll be creating and how I go about getting it.

This is another pass or fail.

(+1 WIS)

The path to glory is a difficult one, because there is no end in sight

This one will be a huge milestone for me, and my company.

My goal is to release my first game, under my own company. Our first title is well on its way already, so I don’t think this will be too difficult to achieve.

This one will be a bit difficult to grade, but I will consider it an A as long as all the mechanics are solidified and completed.

If we are still expanding on the storyline, as it is a very story dependant game, I’ll let that slide because that’s a moving target. We won’t know we’re done until we are.

(+1 CHA, +1 WIS)

Fight the shadows within

Now, I’m sure a lot of people think I spend a lot of time working on all these things I’ve accomplished, or are currently working on.

But the truth is I spend an irritating amount of time just procrastinating, just I work very fast and effectively, so it seems like I’ve spent way more time than I actually have.

And being self-employed makes it a challenge to manage my time effectively when I can spread it out however I please. So, for this challenge,

I going to spend a minimum of 3 hours working on actual game development (not researching or working on business aspects of my other goals), at least 5 days/week.

A: 30+days - B: 27+ - C:20+ - D:12+ - F: anything less

(+2 STA)

Dream of the light

When you’re in the trenches day after day, just trying to keep it together and keep pushing to make a difference, it’s easy to lose sight of what you’re fighting for.

And when this happens, it can be very difficult to keep moving forward. So, sometimes we need to be reminded of why we do what we do.

To keep myself motivated, I will meditate for at least 20minutes a day to reflect and remind myself what I’m fighting for.

I feel this is a very important goal for me, because this challenge is going to be very tough on me, both mentally and physically.

Plus I tend to do everything on my own, so my triumphs are entirely my own, but so are my failures, and there’s nobody to pick me up and push me forward when I fall.

So I can’t afford to lose sight of what I’m striving for, this has happened in the past, and completely devastates my productivity. This is unacceptable this time around.

A:36+days - B:32+ - C:24+ - D:18+ - F: anything less

(+1 WIS, +2 CON)

To sum up, I know I've made some pretty lofty goals, but I feel they are definately achievable, it will just take a bit of work.

The first and last of my goals are more designed to help keep me on track with the others, which are the most important. So hopefully they help keep me focused and my mood up.

Ultimately I'm not sure if I'll ever achieve what I'm striving for, but I am sure as hell going to try.

AA-Courage-Eleanor-e1335514631476.png

LV 3 - Lawful Good - Spartan - Ranger Current Challenge: One Momentous Word

Previous Challenge: #1 #2 #3

Battle Log - Epic Quest: To become a Spartan

Current Attributes:

STR - 6.75   DEX - 8   STA - 7

CON - 6   WIS - 9   CHA - 7

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Its not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not.

An epic quest of romance and riches.

You'll be great, man.  Keep the end game in sight and you'll go far.

I'm keeping a look out for Righteous Blade!

49 is the new 53

Fourth Level Half-Elf Ranger

STR [6.5] DEX [6] STA [17] CON [5] WIS [3]  CHA [5]

Current Challenge

My Third Challenge  > My Second Challenge > My First Challenge

"Don't ever tell me there's no way."  Agent Phil Coulson

Hey questing buddy!  

Popping in on your thread!  

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."  - One of my all time favorite quotes and one I used in the montage I put together for my women's hockey team.    Playing hockey, for me, was one of my biggest 'do the thing I think I cannot do'.   The first time I ever wore ice skates I was 32.   In 3 years, I made it to the second highest level on my clubs team.  (First highest was for college players, um yikes!)   So yes, very much yes.    DO THE THING!

Wishing you all the best on this challenge, but I've seen what you can do climbing mountains (wink) so I have all the faith in the world that you'll get this done.

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you :)

Wishing you all the best on this challenge, but I've seen what you can do climbing mountains (wink) so I have all the faith in the world that you'll get this done.

Plus I did that with a silly half-orc yelling up at me :P

Current Attributes:

Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength.

Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying, get the hell out of my way, I've got things to do.

Love your goals, and challenge!  

My previous job was in a games studio and was my fave job ever.  Glad to hear you plan to live the dream! :)

Good luck!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Rockin all the way man. Love the name for the new studio and I will definatly be grabbin your first releases! what will you be doing for a workout? going to stick with the spartan or are you going with something else?

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

It may actually turn out to be two releases... but we'll see. I'm actually beginning to write another story for a whole 'nother game, which will be very similar from a mechanics stand point, but entirely different story. So while my friend continues the other story, I'll be working on this new one while still helping her with the other. If I work fast enough they may end up getting released around the same time, as obviously the other game is way ahead already.
As for the workouts, I'm just going to stick with the spartan warrior workouts, because if you've see my wrap-up post(s) from last challenge... I'm sure you'd agree I've had some pretty good success with them, and I'll be working out more this challenge. Or at least that's the plan.

Current Attributes:

you are going to be so awesome... I don't play many video games (especially not newer ones because the motion can make me sick) but I might pick up a copy for the boy :) he loves him a good game

so if you want play testers... I have a house full of teenagers who love video games :wink wink:

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Oh oh and if you need play testers from the female clientele side of things!  Me me me!

Level 74 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Ok so, first day... went pretty good. Did my meditation this morning, kinda new for me, more just... thinking about stuff, but hey, progress.

Then my workout:

Deadlift: 1 x 15 @135lbs

Upwards/downwards dog: 5 x 30sec/30sec rest

RFESS: 4 x 20sec/leg / 20sec rest

Unicycles: 3x30sec/side / 30sec rest

Dead clean and press: 1 x 5 @ 100lbs (really wasn't feeling these today)

Floor press: 2 x 10 @ 100lbs

After food, smoothie and shower I went to pay off the last of my school fees (yay don't owe them a dime now), and also stopped in to chat w/ one of my old teachers. Had quite a lengthy conversation about different types of business and the major differences to kinda help me figure out what kind I'm going to register mine as... I'm starting to lean towards a Corporation now, but I think I might need to seek some professional advice. Also hung out for a bit w/ one of my old classmates. And then finally worked on my actual work for a few hours... and now im friggen tired and gonna go crash. All in all, good first day.

Current Attributes:

I went to pay off the last of my school fees (yay don't owe them a dime now),

How frakking cool is that!?!!  Congrats.

Good job on the first day. It's great to own it when you don't feel a workout or a move. Give it a hug and move on.  Nice job.

49 is the new 53

Fourth Level Half-Elf Ranger

STR [6.5] DEX [6] STA [17] CON [5] WIS [3]  CHA [5]

Current Challenge

My Third Challenge  > My Second Challenge > My First Challenge

"Don't ever tell me there's no way."  Agent Phil Coulson

Ok so, I didnt post the last couple days cause they were fricken chaotic. So, day 2 I did my bit of meditation/reflection, had this whole big plan, which got smashed to pieces when I ended up doing all this stuff, helping my mom get ready for her trip... so that day turned into a very chaotic rest/off day for both work and exercise. Same thing happened yesterday, though luckily I managed to get like 4 hours of work done before the s**t hit the fan and I was back to helping get ready, and also went for groceries for the next two weeks. I mentioned this is another post... but I'll say it again... my roommates contribution to the shopping list was marshmellows and poptarts... would you believe hes 24? and gonna live off marshmellows and poptarts, really? *sigh* I have a feeling hes going to be eating all my food, and I'm not going ot be very happy about it, as usual. He actually had the audacity to say flat out "your diet really sucks" and then when I challenged him to come up with one single dish that I had made that he thought was anything less that friggen delicious he couldn't do it, not one. So maybe I'll not share my cooking with him for a few days, that'll learn em :P. Oh I'd also like to note that his gf is Celiac... so she absolutely loves my cooking... cause she can eat it! She can't eat all the trash he eats. Anyways, forging onwards!

Today, I've done my meditation, and I've got my plan for today... I'm going to workout(I'll post a bit later after I've done so), I'm going to call this financial adviser dude thats a friend of the family, he said he'd help me with figuring out what type of business im going to register mine as for free, so that's awesome, and then I have a whole day of nothingness planned. So I'll mostly be working, interrupted by the occational bout of Dota2... since my friends can't seem to let me just work, and they NEED their 5th man or risk not have an adequate team mate to fill the apparent gaping chasm that is left in my absense... :P so, hopefully a fairly productive day today.

Current Attributes:

Oh, and I'm going to make chili today... can't forget that. Maybe I'll stick a note on it saying "Gross paleo food, keep your paws off" lol. God knows I could eat it all myself... mmm chili... so good.

Current Attributes:

Today's workout:

Deadlift: 1 x 30 @ 100lbs

Push-ups 1 x 40

Static hold: 1 x long as possible, did 49sec with 125lbs

Russian twist 2 x 30sec

Dead clean: 1 x 5 @ 100lbs

Overhead Press: 1 x 5 @ 100lbs

I'm really not feeling that well today, was hoping it would go away once I got going but it hasn't. Got everything done at least, and my chili is simmering... gonna take a little rest then get to work on my actual work.

Current Attributes:

chili sounds amazing

sorry you don't feel well :(

chili always makes me feel better :D

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Boo on your roommate for not having the sense to know good food.   Especially since it sounds like he helps himself to it whenever he wants. 

A whole day of nothingness.. That would be so nice.  I hope you feel better soon.

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Level 6 Ranger. Level 1 Monk. STR 11.5, DEX 5.5, STA 11, CON 14.5, WIS 15, CHA 12.5

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Challenge 4 Challenge 5 Challenge 6

Fitbit MyFitnessPal Battle Log

Yea, luckily he was gone all yesterday... so I pretty much ate chili all day... and finished the last bit this morning lol. He only got like one bowl :P (which he commented was "fricken awesome"). Got my meditation and work done yesterday, and here's my workout from yesterday as well:

Inverted Row: 1 x 10

Deadlift: 1 x 50 @ 135lbs - the idea was to do them with as little rest as possible, I took about 20sec after the first 25 to switch my grip then finished up the second half. (I use an alternate grip: one palm up, one palm down, so i swapped which palm was up/down)

Push-ups: 1 x 30

BW squats: 1 x 10

Plank/Bird dog/high plank circuit: 30sec each, 30sec rest at the end, 2 circuits

Overhead Press: 2 x 20 @ 70lbs - I've noticed I cheat a little bit, using a bit of momentum from my legs, because half the time they're following a dead clean, so I'm now forcing myself not to do that, so they're much harder, and it's clear this is by far my weakest lift, and my shoulders definately felt that

Today I'm taking a rest day for my workouts, tomorrow, day7, will be my last for the week to make 4/4 for my challenge. I meditated/reflected earlier, and I'm now programming. Hoping to get a lot more than 3hrs done today, but we'll see.

Current Attributes:

glad your chili was awesome...

I think I am gonna soak some beans when I get home in the morning and make some on monday... you have inspired me :D

Spoiler

ok, so, it's day 1 of week 2 now. Time for a recap of the previous week I think.

Yesterday I did 7-8 hours of work on a prototype for the choose your own adventure style games I'm developing atm, so that totally crushed my 3 hour minimum for the day...  Although I did crack and eat a whole pizza... I was so engaged in what I Was doing I didn't want to stop to do any real cooking, so I just threw a pizza in the oven... considering I eat pretty much full paleo + dairy like 95% of the time... I can let that one slide lol.

I also did a light workout:

Renegade Rows: 1 x 20

2 hand / right hand / left hand / hand-to-hand kettle bell swing circuit: 30sec each, no rest in between, 3 circtuits, 60sec rest between circuits

Decline push-ups : 3 x 10, 30sec rest

leg raises: 3 x 10

So with those out of the way... for the week I stand at:

4/4 workouts

either 5/5 or 6/5 days with 3hr+ of work, I know I did at least 5 days, but I forget if I took my 2nd day off...should probably track that better

and finally 7/7 days meditation/reflection.

So I'm quite happy with this weeks progress, and I've made some tremendous strides towards the completion of my first title, as well some good progress on the contract game I'm still working on. Also I find the meditation at the beginning of the day really helps, and thinking about how great it'll be to finally go to New Zealand gets me pretty fired up to go greet the day and then decimate it. So, good week overall.

Current Attributes:

glad your chili was awesome...

I think I am gonna soak some beans when I get home in the morning and make some on monday... you have inspired me :D

Solid plan, can never go wrong with Chili :P

Current Attributes:

I gotta giant pot of chili on the stove :D

and... I found a recipe for gluten free cornbread :) so I am oh so very excited :D

Spoiler

where'd you go buddy? we need to hear more of this awesomeness you ahve been achieving!!!!!! (that and I need new paleo dinner ideas.)

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines