Shit Warriors Eat

Everyone's welcome! No one ever comes to my house, and I'd love to cook for a crowd. (That said, having a ginger beer festival on Friday - along with chicken skewers and a kickass salad!)

Scraping the ice cream from the side - this will sound super-lame, but the sound of the scraping was like nails on a chalkboard. And it was stuck somethin' fierce. I kept thinking it was like ice, which is why I thought maybe the extra water in the coconut milk was the problem (so trying to separate the cream was the solution). And when I would scrape it away, I'd turn it back on and it would re-freeze. The reviews on the product were pretty good, so I feel like it's user error. Only I could screw up ice cream! :) 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Everyone's welcome! No one ever comes to my house, and I'd love to cook for a crowd. (That said, having a ginger beer festival on Friday - along with chicken skewers and a kickass salad!)

Scraping the ice cream from the side - this will sound super-lame, but the sound of the scraping was like nails on a chalkboard. And it was stuck somethin' fierce. I kept thinking it was like ice, which is why I thought maybe the extra water in the coconut milk was the problem (so trying to separate the cream was the solution). And when I would scrape it away, I'd turn it back on and it would re-freeze. The reviews on the product were pretty good, so I feel like it's user error. Only I could screw up ice cream! :)

Could be that it's freezing too fast for the paddle to keep up; is it electric or are you using ice? If it's the former, water content might be a factor (though it could also just be freezing too high) since I know sorbets tend to be icier than milk based things when we make gelato. We've also had problems when the mixture is too thick, which does make it stick but not in an icy way.

Ice on metal in the freezer and I'm a puddle in the floor.  Something about that sound un-nerves me...  I've never had much luck with those frozen core ice cream makers.  The old fashioned ones with the ice and the salt always seem to work better for me.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Could be that it's freezing too fast for the paddle to keep up; is it electric or are you using ice? If it's the former, water content might be a factor (though it could also just be freezing too high) since I know sorbets tend to be icier than milk based things when we make gelato. We've also had problems when the mixture is too thick, which does make it stick but not in an icy way.

It's electric. (Boogy-woogy-woogy?) I have also considered whether I didn't let my mixture cool enough. It definitely wasn't too thick, but if I take out just the cream, it might be. 

Ice on metal in the freezer and I'm a puddle in the floor.  Something about that sound un-nerves me...  I've never had much luck with those frozen core ice cream makers.  The old fashioned ones with the ice and the salt always seem to work better for me.  

At least I'm not the only one. Not that I revel in your pain. I ALMOST got the real deal, but really wanted smaller servings. I'm sure they make a smaller one with the ice/salt setup. Just need to look more. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

It's electric. (Boogy-woogy-woogy?) I have also considered whether I didn't let my mixture cool enough. It definitely wasn't too thick, but if I take out just the cream, it might be.  

Hee.

No idea on the cooling; I've yet to do a recipe which required cooking anything first except for when I made simple syrup for something and that I prepared a day in advance, so it was cold when I used it.

At least I'm not the only one. Not that I revel in your pain. I ALMOST got the real deal, but really wanted smaller servings. I'm sure they make a smaller one with the ice/salt setup. Just need to look more. 

I was listening to the Alton Brown podcast the other day and he was talking to an ice cream guy.  He said something about letting it sit at least eight hours, preferably 24 though.  Not only for the chill factor, but it helped the flavors mellow better.  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

I was listening to the Alton Brown podcast the other day and he was talking to an ice cream guy.  He said something about letting it sit at least eight hours, preferably 24 though.  Not only for the chill factor, but it helped the flavors mellow better.  

yeah, he pre-chills his icecreams (but not freeze).  this way it freezes faster in the churner and creates smaller ice crystals.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't cooked anything either. I read the chilling thing for what Thirster said. I'm just doing coconut milk and seasonings. Usually a sweetener (honey) and then sometimes seasonings like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc. So I'm not cooking or heating anything. Maybe I should be?? I can't have eggs, though, so I'm not sure what else I'd heat. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Yep, I stir my spices (generally smoked paprika, garlic powder or smashed/finely diced garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne) in butter, then baste it on the chicken. If I'm super-motivated, I'll sometimes pull the chicken out halfway through and baste again. But mostly I just stick it in the oven and forget it. 

I also always rinse and pat dry my chicken with paper towels. I have no idea if that makes a difference? 

I always put a beer or soda can in the cavity of the chicken, filled 1/2 or 1/3 full with some type of liquid. Then stuff the neck of the bird with something (usually onions or citrus fruit) to hold the steam in. 

I bake at 350 degrees. The heat in the center makes the bird cook faster. (I also pull out of the oven and let it rest in a high pot, covered in foil for about a half hour. But that has no impact on the crisp.) 

That skin. OMG. I dream about it. 

How do you not like soup? I live for fall and soup! Although, admittedly, trying to cut back on tomatoes makes soup a bit less desirable. 

I do have an ice cream maker, albeit a cheap one. Maybe too cheap. It's one of the ones you freeze the bowl. It's like it didn't mix up right and a lot of it froze to the side of the bowl. Did you just do coconut milk, cocoa powder and maybe some sweetener? (I tried coconut milk and honey. I added a little salt b/c I was craving salted caramel.)

That's the kind I have (i think, sounds like it).  Cuisinart or something. Super cheap :)  I've done it a couple different ways. I don't care for super hardpacked ice cream but I like it harder than soft serve (like hard packed has been sitting out and gets soupy around the edges) and this is what I find does that for me:  mix up ingredients (1 can coconut milk, 1/4 cup +2 tbsp  cocoa powder, 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey, 1 tsp vanilla) and stick them in the freezer for 20 mins or so. You can do fridge, too but it sits longer.  Turn on ice cream maker and pour that deliciousness in.  I usually only have to wait 10 minutes or so before mine is done to my liking though the directions say 20 (and 20 is good if you don't pre chill it).   To do hard packed you'd put it in a freezer friendly container, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for some hours.  but ain't nobody got time for that!

YES! Me too!  Dude!  Seriously, it's the worst.  Growing up my Grandma had one of those old freezers that required cleaning in the manner of ice scraping. God, it was the worst thing EVER. EVER.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I know this is supposed to be for shit we eat... but I'd like to issue a challenge for someone to make this... and if that's not allowed then feel free to delete this

20091030-bacon-burger-in-hand.jpg

That is a ground bacon patty served with bacon and bacon fat mayonnaise on a bacon fat and bacon-studded bacon bun... That is a thing that exists and I wish I had thought of it first.

Recipe and explanation (http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-bacon-attack-pork-butt-bacon-burger.html) please please please someone do this and post pictures...

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

I know this is supposed to be for shit we eat... but I'd like to issue a challenge for someone to make this... and if that's not allowed then feel free to delete this

20091030-bacon-burger-in-hand.jpg

That is a ground bacon patty served with bacon and bacon fat mayonnaise on a bacon fat and bacon-studded bacon bun... That is a thing that exists and I wish I had thought of it first.

Recipe and explanation (http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/10/the-burger-lab-bacon-attack-pork-butt-bacon-burger.html) please please please someone do this and post pictures...

cBvuHDM.gif

That is it.  I am going to finish this challenge, and I am going to start lifting heavy things.  Because I want to eat all the good things.

No picture,  but here's a delicious one:

10 minutes and it has bacon.  Even my kids eat it.  It is my favorite thing to find hiding behind something else when I'm eating leftovers for lunch.

Yeah.  I like to eat.  Plus, you guys crack me the hell up.  Must consider this warrior thing.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

That is it.  I am going to finish this challenge, and I am going to start lifting heavy things.  Because I want to eat all the good things.

No picture,  but here's a delicious one:

10 minutes and it has bacon.  Even my kids eat it.  It is my favorite thing to find hiding behind something else when I'm eating leftovers for lunch.

Yeah.  I like to eat.  Plus, you guys crack me the hell up.  Must consider this warrior thing.

Ok, I just bookmarked that!

Plus, I'm totally with you- Warrior for sure! :playful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I was going with bone broth... Thirster! What is it? 

Woot for the penguin mug, though!

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost

Up the eggs Mir! I'm considering going from 6 to 8, but starting to think it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Learned this morning that the time it takes to roast bacon in the oven is the same amount of time it takes to get ready for work. This can't be mere cosmic coincidence.

It's not.

Up the eggs Mir! I'm considering going from 6 to 8, but starting to think it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

We only had 6 left...and Mr Mir got half.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Totes! When I could eat eggs it was a minimum of 6 each serving.  I miss eggs.

Mir, you're so nice to share with Mr. Mir!

Totes! When I could eat eggs it was a minimum of 6 each serving.  I miss eggs.

Mir, you're so nice to share with Mr. Mir!

I know. I'm a saint.

I actually considered taking all the bacon for myself....

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines