Shit Warriors Eat

I suggest you send me a gift basket.

I'd be scared to eat anything I send via mail. Buuuuutttt... Deal? 

I suggest you invite me for dinner. 

Deal. Come any time! I keep trying to do a KS NF meetup. Maybe this is how I need to reel 'em in! 

Boys.

*facepalms on behalf of Squatcake*

Hah. Thanks for the support! :) I think I need to call the butcher, get his advice, and then call him back. New plan. 

ETA: Talked to butcher. I got:

• 1" pork chops, 2 per package
  • Pork shoulder, cut into steaks
  • Approximately six three pound hams, uncured
  • Pork belly, in 1# chunks, uncured, unsliced
  • 5 pounds German sausage, the rest ground pork, 1# packages (the Italian had HFCS and the spicy had red peppers in it - stupid pepper intolerance)
  • I took the bones and liver, because they were included. Not sure what I think about pork liver. So I'll research that, but will definitely use bones for broth or green bean soup (this is a thing in Kansas and it's better than you think - way better)
  • 4lbs lard - I've never had lard, so I'm excited to see if I like it for cooking!

That's it. Hopefully I made good choices! 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

2" washers for smaller weight increases

Squatcake... you are awesome. For reals.

Now I'm super excited to get my cow in November. I'll have to take before/after pics of my chest freezer.

I want half a cow. For me. My friends are judging.

With my luck, I'll get half a cow then get bit by the lonestar tick. For shame, Texas. You did this. (Totally kidding. No one get mad. It's kind of a punch drunk Monday for me. So I think I'm clever when I'm being obnoxious.)

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

I took out one of my 1# packages of grassfed beef from the freezer this morning for dinner tonight. I've never had grassfed ground beef and I feel like I should be making something special with it or something where I may be able to really taste the difference. Any suggestions?

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I took out one of my 1# packages of grassfed beef from the freezer this morning for dinner tonight. I've never had grassfed ground beef and I feel like I should be making something special with it or something where I may be able to really taste the difference. Any suggestions?

Ground beef is great for stuffing peppers! That's what I've been having this week.

@primalbeauty

As I began to love myself, I freed myself of anything that was no good for my health-food, people, things, situations, and everything that drew me down and away from myself.At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism.Today I know it is "love of oneself."-Charlie Chaplin

Yesterday's dinner:

8ecf2e2403a811e386a022000a9e06e7_7.jpg

2 lb rump roast wined, brined and slowly roasted over coals w/mesquite chips.

That is what I envision heaven looks like............ :angel:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I ate up a lot of my grassfed ground beef just sauteing in a cast iron skillet with some onions and seasoning salt. Reheated super well for lunches. Sometimes I did more veggies and used fish sauce to season, super good!

I love letting my ground beef caramelize in my cast iron skillet, too! Just stir it less often and let the meat really cook to the bottom of the pan. Don't panic, it does scrape away (I used to think it would stick and burn). A friend of mine told me in the culinary world there's a word for what happens when you brown meat, and for a long time they considered it "magic" how the flavor would change when you browned it. So I always think of him when I'm ALMOST ready to scrape.

I also like to brown it up with onions, garlic, ghee and seasonings. And my newest thing the last few months is tossing that on top of a generic salad. So. Good. Kind of like a taco salad. But you can dress the salad up however you like.

My favorite ground beef thing to make is bun-less burgers. I love some blue cheese on my burger and a few slices of bacon. Then top with avocado. OMG. Livin. L-I-V-I-N.

tumblr_m7w1w9XBIk1r08q9io1_500.gif

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Ground beef is great for stuffing peppers! That's what I've been having this week.

I ate up a lot of my grassfed ground beef just sauteing in a cast iron skillet with some onions and seasoning salt. Reheated super well for lunches. Sometimes I did more veggies and used fish sauce to season, super good!

I love letting my ground beef caramelize in my cast iron skillet, too! Just stir it less often and let the meat really cook to the bottom of the pan. Don't panic, it does scrape away (I used to think it would stick and burn). A friend of mine told me in the culinary world there's a word for what happens when you brown meat, and for a long time they considered it "magic" how the flavor would change when you browned it. So I always think of him when I'm ALMOST ready to scrape.

I also like to brown it up with onions, garlic, ghee and seasonings. And my newest thing the last few months is tossing that on top of a generic salad. So. Good. Kind of like a taco salad. But you can dress the salad up however you like.

My favorite ground beef thing to make is bun-less burgers. I love some blue cheese on my burger and a few slices of bacon. Then top with avocado. OMG. Livin. L-I-V-I-N.

Thank you guys! I don't have a cast iron skillet (gasp!). I have a regular non-stick and a stainless steel one. Would this still work? I'm thinking of using up the eggplant and carrots from last weeks share. And maybe the fennel which i'm sort of scared to use since I hate the taste of liqorice and that's what i've read it tastes like. 

Instagram | pinterest

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

I want half a cow. For me. My friends are judging.

With my luck, I'll get half a cow then get bit by the lonestar tick. For shame, Texas. You did this. (Totally kidding. No one get mad. It's kind of a punch drunk Monday for me. So I think I'm clever when I'm being obnoxious.)

Let them judge.  We know what's up.  I've reserved my 1/4 cow for the fall--cannot wait.

Amazon Warrior
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Druid Side Project
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--Annajanska, George Bernard Shaw

I would suggest the stainless steel one, since you'll get more of a browning. Use some cooking fat to keep it from burning to the pan though.

I've used fennel in recipes, and it's flavor mostly got covered up. I wasn't a fan of it on its own either.

I'd like to admit (after reading another story) the Kansas news was wrong (gasp! that never happens in hysteria media!). The lone star tick is NOT from Texas. For shame, kansas.com. You did this! :) I would like to formally apologize to all my Texas friends. Texas forever! 

Also, isn't fennel used in sausage? You could try to make some type of sausage if you wanted to wait and use it separately. 

You could make a simple hash with the veggies you have (that's what I do, just dump everything in a pan, cook, season). 

Or... You could use the eggplant and make sort of a baked eggplant Parmesan sort of dish, making a meat sauce with the hamburger. And using the carrots in the sauce. But that would require more ingredients than you might have. I bet the fennel would compliment this if you didn't go too heavy on it. 

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

Also, isn't fennel used in sausage? You could try to make some type of sausage if you wanted to wait and use it separately. 

You could make a simple hash with the veggies you have (that's what I do, just dump everything in a pan, cook, season). 

Or... You could use the eggplant and make sort of a baked eggplant Parmesan sort of dish, making a meat sauce with the hamburger. And using the carrots in the sauce. But that would require more ingredients than you might have. I bet the fennel would compliment this if you didn't go too heavy on it. 

Omygosh you're brilliant! I have ground pork in the freezer.

I think that's what I'll end up do - the hash. I thought about doing something like the baked dish you mentioned (I always have plenty of canned tomatoes, etc.) but I usually have to limit my tomato-ey meals to once or twice/week. The SO isn't a huge fan of tomato-ey dishes...

thanks ev'rybody!

rdj_thanks.gif

Instagram | pinterest

Wow! What an interesting idea.

Is this coming from a smallholder you know or a regular butcher?

How much does half a pig cost?

I bought from a small local farm.

I'm a little unclear on total cost. However, to buy, it's $1.85/pound hanging weight. The definition of hanging weight varies by butcher. But my half came to 63 lbs, which was around $115. But, then you pay the butcher to process. Im not totally aure what that cost will be. I am not having them cure my hams or bacon (doing fresh, and ill brine my hams before cooking or do other things with it and have a few ideas besides bacon for the belly). I also only had them make 5lbs of German sausage and did the rest ground pork and I'll make any other sausage myself. I didn't get spicy because I'm avoiding peppers. And the other options two options had HFCS.

Pastured hogs are smaller/leaner than conventional hogs, so the hanging weight is generally less.

I believe brining and making sausage was around 40c/pound. And I think the butcher charges 55c/pound for processing. But I can report back on that later.

I go into these things blind and learn from my mistakes. :)

When I got part of a cow it was a straight $5/pound for meat, and $2/pound for bones/organs/fat. I don't remember what weight I ended up with for that. I think some farms sell this way and pay the butcher outright. But in my case, for the pig, she charged for the pig, and then I pay the butcher for whatever I have done.

Shape-Shifting Ginger
Current Battle Log

That's a great way to get your meat, single animal and you know exactly where it came from and how it was raised. It sounds like it won't come out that much more expensive and I expect you get much better quality :encouragement:

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

60 days to 5k (July-Sep 2021)

Recipe? Please? A monk's gotta eat well, too!

OK, a little late to reply but here you go: 

INGREDIENTS

1 head of cabbage ( nappa or bok choi)

Salt

1 daikon radish

green onions

garlic

hot chillies depending on your tastes (sometimes I use dry chili flakes/powder)

ginger! 

PROCESS 

Brine - 4 C water to 2 tablespoons salt 

Cabbage - coarsely chop and let it soak in the brine overnight. Remove from brine and rinse throughly. 

Slice - everything (Grate the ginger, ok to crush the garlic)

Paste - mix the garlic ginger, and chili into a paste

Mix - Mix all the things! Real good. Add ~ TBS salt

Stuff - into a jar, push down on it so it is super packed, pour water over it until submerged

Store  - it out of the way, but where you won't forget about it. Taste the kimchi every day until you like it, then throw it in the fridge to slow down the fermentation. 

Human Warrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines