The Theft of the Hammer of Thunder (The Road to Asgard) - Vengefulpear Steals Mjolnir

Even the summer winds are chilly this far north. The lone figure trudging up the mountain path gave a brief shiver and pulled his cloak tighter about himself. The slow crunch of his feet on the path and the sigh of his breath was the only sound, the birds had all gone. He continued his way towards the base of the mountain, the great hulking shadow sending a cold chill down his spine.

It wasn't until later that day that he reached the true foot of the mountain. He could tell because the pathway suddenly veered upwards, almost into a vertical climb. The figure paused as his eyes followed the slanting path, searching up for his destination. And there it was. The top of the mountain shimmered and almost seemed to shine, ignoring the closing darkness as the sun made its way below the horizon.

The light from the mountain gave everything a mystical sheen, as though he had just stepped into a fairy tale. And the figure squinted as he looked up, trying to see the top of the mountain clearly. After a few moments he saw past the enchantment and with a sigh of relief saw what he was looking for. The top of the mountain wasn't the normal colour of rocks and mud, or even the pure white of untouched snow. The mountain peak shimmered like a multicoloured wave, and the rainbow that enveloped the peak shot off into the sky. His quest could finally begin in earnest. He had found it.

The road to Asgard.

This challenge I shall be performing a slight experiment, I'm going to try and have my next few challenges (at the moment I'm tentatively saying 5) shall be part of a larger story with each fitness challenge becoming more difficult as I reach the end of the larger quest. You might have guessed that this quest is going to be stealing Mjolnir, the hammer of Thor!
I know thievery isn't strictly Assassin territory :tongue: But I might push further with it and use Mjolnir to assassinate someone else. We shall see! :tongue: But anyway, that's getting ahead of myself! On to this challenge!

Main Quest

My main quest is very faraway from completion but I want to finally start working towards it. Well there are a few so I'll just say a couple :tongue: Basically it's a handstand. Ultimately I want to be able to do a one-armed handstand push up (DBZ reference for bonus points) and a 90 degree push up. So for now what I'm going to focus on is working towards a freestanding handstand that I can control my motion up/down. And by that I mean I don't have to kick to get up to a handstand and I don't just fall down on my way down. At the moment I'm still at wall headstand stage, hopefully I will be able to do some form of handstand (probably against a wall) by the end of the challenge.

Fitness Goals

1: The Skillful Ascent

Do at least 2 skill workouts per week (+3 DEX +1 STR)

To do my best to try and get to a controlled handstand I am going to do 2 skill workouts a week doing about 20-30 minutes of practice with things like crow stands, headstands. I have some idea of what I'm going to work on but am by no means an expert! So any help on that front would be appreciated! :tongue:

At least 2 skill workouts a week to work on:

Headstands

Crow Stands
L sits

Grading:
A = 2+ Skill Workouts every week

B = 5 weeks with 2 Skill Workouts

C = 4 Weeks with 2 Skill workouts

D = 3 weeks with 2 skill workouts
E = 2 weeks with 2 skill workouts

F =1 week with 2 skill workouts, or complete failure

2: Strength To Match the Gods

Do at least 2 Strength Circuits per week (+4 STR)

For this goal I will do circuit training at least twice a week, to try and give me extra strength to help with the free handstands. At the moment it's a fairly standard circuit: push ups, dips, one legged squats, bicep curls, dumbbell shoulder press, and then pull ups/negatives to failure. 

Mini Goals:

Make it to 10 pull ups

Do a proper one legged squat (all the way down and back up again)

Grading:
A = 2+ Skill Workouts every week

B = 5 weeks with 2 Skill Workouts

C = 4 Weeks with 2 Skill workouts

D = 3 weeks with 2 skill workouts
E = 2 weeks with 2 skill workouts

F =1 week with 2 skill workouts, or complete failure

3: The Build of the Aesir

Lost 3% Bodyfat (+2 CON +2 STR)

Current bodyfat: 18%

Weight: 159lbs (Lean Bodymass: 130lbs)

Plan:

Sprint twice a week

Eat at a deficit (2000 calories should mean lose 1lb a week)

Eat as paleo as possible going for about 80/20

With this plan I hope to lose 2% of my bodyfat. I hope that's achievable but I somehow manage to confuse myself whenever I figure out how much bodyfat I will have lost for 6lbs of fat :P I'm pretty sure it would be around 3%, but not 100% sure but we'll go with it anyway! The plan is to keep up with weight training, eat clean and at about a 600 calorie deficit (which should still mean I retain muscle) and make sure I eat about 140 grams of protein per day. 

And just to really embassy/motivate myself a few pictures to mark the beginning of the challenge and hopefully there'll be a slight different by the end! So here are the pictures with all the appropriate stupid faces: Front, Front, Side

Life Goal

4: Record Your Quest

Write 1000 words a day. +3 WIS

Based off the last challenge I'm also going to add in that if I write more than 1000 words that day I can take that off my total for the next day. So if I'm feeling particularly verbose I don't need to stop and if I have writer's block another day, I won't feel so bad. And this is also so that I can try and write up some blog posts before they're due and schedule their publication.

Grading will be percentage based, depending on how well I achieve this goal, so a percentage of how many days I achieved this.

A = 100% B = 80% C = 60% D = 40% E = 20% F = Total failure

Side Quest

Bonus Points for this one: Get a fitness blog up and running

I've had the idea for a bit now to start a health and fitness blog, to help me along with my own progress in between the NF challenges and also see if I can help other people. I'm kicking around the idea of calling it "Saturday Morning Fitness" because I'll probably be using 80s/90s saturday morning cartoons as my main inspiration! (power rangers, teenage mutant ninja turtles, dragonball z etc) But if you have any name suggests I would love to hear them!

That's it for now! Sorry for the wall of text! And I'll probably come along and edit/add in a couple of bits later! Good luck assassins!

Assassin Guild Leader  Trainee

STR: 2 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 3 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge: Vengefulpear Revives!

Level 1

High Score:

Level 7 STR: 14 | DEX: 10 | STA: 1 | CON: 12 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 4

Fun challenge! Can you already do a handstand and are now working towards the 1 handed one? My main quest is working on improving my wall handstand, working towards a freestanding handstand some day.

Ideas for skills to work that should improve your handstand too ( and the getting in and out of) cartwheel, round-off, crow into head or handstand, tripod extensions

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Those are some awesome suggestions, thank you so much :)

I can only do a headstand at the moment (right now against a wall, but I hope to upgrade that fairly quickly). I don't think I'll get to a free handstand anytime soon, for at least a few challenges, but as I would really like to get to the handstand push ups and things like that I thought it would be a good main quest to have!

Level 1

High Score:

Awesome goals! I would love to be able to do a one-arm handstand.(Like my avatar, haha.)

I love your idea for a fitness blog. I've thought about starting one a few times but I never got around to it. But I would definitely follow your blog once you get it started.

Lvl-2 Human Assassin

STR-5  DEX-3  STA-4  CON-4  WIS-2  CHA-2

The greatest pleasure in life is in doing what people say you cannot do.
-Walter Bagehot

The Challenge!

And the winner of the most epic challenge title goes to... :)

Haha, thanks :D I was definitely trying to make it a creative and epic challenge! 

Awesome goals! I would love to be able to do a one-arm handstand.(Like my avatar, haha.)

I love your idea for a fitness blog. I've thought about starting one a few times but I never got around to it. But I would definitely follow your blog once you get it started.

Thanks :) I definitely want to get it started during this challenge so I think I'll just go for it and have Saturday Morning Fitness as the name. There's no point in umming and erring over it if it's stopping me from doing it :) I'll post up here once I've made the first post, or maybe a couple of posts :P

Level 1

High Score:

Right I think that's all my goals updated :) Just in time for the weekend!

So now I should be fully and properly prepared for the challenge and so give myself the best chance I can to achieve all my goals! 

Good luck to everyone!

Level 1

High Score:

Great goals, man, looking forward to seeing you kill this challenge like the last one! Love the story element as always. And looking forward to some friendly competition in the BF department. I have myself pegged at 3% as well, which should be a bit more doable than my last BF goal, though still pushing it. So let the friendly competition/spurring one another on begin.

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

STR 20 | DEX 15 | STA 13 | CON 15 | WIS 12 | CHA 17

TN is Lookin' at YOU, Summertime!

"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." -Hebrews 12:12

Oh, oh, oh! A 90-degree pushup looks simply awesome. Had never seen or heard of that before, so many thanks for posting the video. Methinks it will be a future goal. Hopefully the 100 pushup in a row challenge I'm on (as of today) will help prepare me for it.

Good luck to you.

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

Okay so I actually just sat down for a second and watched that video. Holy cow, dude, that's incredible! What a quest!

I also like how the DBZ gift makes it look a little like he's pushing off of one finger.

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

Oh, oh, oh! A 90-degree pushup looks simply awesome. Had never seen or heard of that before, so many thanks for posting the video. Methinks it will be a future goal. Hopefully the 100 pushup in a row challenge I'm on (as of today) will help prepare me for it.

Good luck to you.

Thank you very much :D Yeah it's definitely a long way off but what's the point of having a quest if it's not suitably epic! :P

Great goals, man, looking forward to seeing you kill this challenge like the last one! Love the story element as always. And looking forward to some friendly competition in the BF department. I have myself pegged at 3% as well, which should be a bit more doable than my last BF goal, though still pushing it. So let the friendly competition/spurring one another on begin.

With vegeta it wouldn't shock me if he WAS doing it with one finger!

Some friendly competition sounds excellent to me :) And we've both for a target of 3% so that's even better! How are you grading that goal? I was thinking of going down/up for every 1/2% that I achieve. So A = 3% B = 2.5% C = 2% etc etc.

Level 1

High Score:

Yeah, I saw you were doing 3% and that was less than my last challenge goal—a very good thing! Plus, I wanted to keep things as even as possible so one of us wasn't at a potentially unfair advantage. That grading system sounds like a good plan to me. My plan is to go on an ABCDF scale, so anything 1% and below would be a failing grade. Is that what you were thinking? Going by the 1/2% would seem to work well for that.

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

Yeah I think 1/2% per grade is a good way to go about it. It makes it a nice and easy way to calculate it and helps for the fact it's very unlikely that it'll be an even percentage that comes off.

As an update I've pretty much failed the first week, so I think that it means I can't get higher than a B for any of my goals. Which is fine as long as I make sure I kick it up a notch for the rest of the challenge.

I wasn't eating super well this week and I didn't feel like exercising so, shocker, I didn't. I did check the scales on sunday (much to my dread) but I didn't put on any weight, so victory there!

So now to really kick it up I'm going to try for HIIT before I head off to work every week day and then strength training hopefully every other day do a strength workout as well. Couple that with some proper calorie counting and I should be okay to reach most of all of my goals.

I am having a little trouble motivating myself when I get home from work, so on the way back I'm going to look at some fitness magazines to read on the train home so hopefully I'll be pumped to do a workout when I get home!

Level 1

High Score:

Let me just encourage you by saying you are not a complete failure because of last week. And I think it's still possible for you to get an A in some of your goals. If anything, last week can be a good motivator for you to step it up for the rest of the challenge! And the fact that you didn't go up in weight at all is a huge victory! So everything is not lost. You've still got 5 good weeks to put on your hard hat and get to work. I'm rootin' for you! :)

How is your BF% goal going? Even though you stayed the same weight-wise doesn't mean you didn't move at all in the body fat department.

Regarding your workouts and motivation, I've found it helpful not to let myself go home after work until after I've stopped at the gym. Granted, I work at a university, so it's fairly easy for me to hit the gym before I head home. Is that an option for you? Any place you can go near your workplace where you could get a workout in, even if it's a park/playground?

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

Thanks so much :) I do feel a lot better after my work out today and I've decided to throw in with the mini challenges this time too! So I substituted my push ups etc for stuff in the challenge.

Well I think i'm about the same, i didn't overeat, just unhealthy stuff really so hopefully it evened itself out!

But i've set up another spreadsheet for our PVP if you want to check it out over here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmtRMwoMwJORdG9zYkU1TVAtSkduTXhMUHZkaFdZYXc&usp=sharing

Obviously if anyone else wants in feel free to add yourself to it! :D

Yeah I do have a park right next to where I work so it's tempting, but I normally don't get home till 7 and as it's a home workout it means i dont have to go anywhere. But the fitness magazine worked so I'll try it this week and then maybe start a workout just in/out of work.

Level 1

High Score:

Yeah, PVP spreadsheet! Thanks for setting that up!

Glad the fitness magazine got you sufficiently motivated. Hope it keeps doing its job! And good on you for throwing in with the mini challenges this time! They were a great motivational tool for me last challenge and hopefully will work similarly with you. :)

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

No worries! :D

Yeah it was quite good, and it was nice to see some ideas I hadn't thought of. But I can't believe I didn't think of using my pull up bar for hanging leg raises and things like that!

Definitely :) And it was nice to be one of the first assassins on the board! (I know that's probably more to do with my timezone but still :P ) I always see the challenges and think they'd  be nice to do but then avoid them so this time I'll help out in the assassin quest!

And I did also realise yesterday that this challenge ends just as I go on holiday with my girlfriend and as I won't be able to see her until the last week of the challenge I should use this time to try and surprise her with my fitness transformation!

Level 1

High Score:

That's the aim :D

Well I have been enjoying doing those assassin mini challenge work outs and I've been pleasantly surprised with my progress on pull ups! I guess it's like people say that it starts snowballing once you get there! (And it probably helps if I get the chance on a door frame or a stairwell I'll do random pull ups)

So I've been keeping up this week with workouts, although by the time I get home, worked out and had dinner it's 9.30PM coming up to 10PM, but that just means i'm tired when i go to bed!

On a slightly more epic note! The Thor 2 trailer was released yesterday!

So I think that I shall definitely be watching number one for some nordic inspiration! And I will now  be aiming to look sufficiently Thor-like by the time the movie is released!

Level 1

High Score:

And I also published a new  blog post yesterday: http://thetemperedpen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-dangerous-game-of-leap-shark.html

It's about leaping over sharks! (kind of)

Level 1

High Score:

I watched that trailer yesterday. Looks SO GOOD! I have a good friend who's absolutely obsessed with Thor, so we will probably be going in November. I love your idea of looking as Thor-like as possible by the premiere. That's a great goal, and you'd have at least another full challenge after this one to make that kind of progress.

Also read your blog post, which I enjoyed. Thanks for setting me straight on the actual origin of the term "jump the shark." I had been under the impression that it was a reference to the movie Jaws, and how the mechanical shark kept working and not working at the wrong times, and was a failure more than it was a success. Now that phrase makes a lot more sense, knowing that it refers to someone (The Fonz) actually jumping over a shark. I feel enlightened now. ;):)

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

I thoroughly agree! Several of my friends really enjoy Thor in all forms so it shall definitely be on the agenda!

Thanks! I definitely got motivated to lift heavy when I saw the first Thor film (especially when he tries to pick up Mjolnir and can't! He looks ridiculous then) So I figure I'll just try and get a head start on that motivation! And as you say I get a whole challenge as well as this one in between.

I have started doing hanging knee raises to try and work out my core a bit more and if I can get to a gym I'll try doing woodchoppers (I seem to remember them from the last time I looked up a Thor workout :P )

And thanks! You are most welcome! :D It's always nice to enlighten people :P And I think everyone should be made aware the Fonz jumped over a shark

Level 1

High Score:

Right a quick workout update! I want to do one more sprint session this week so hopefully I'll do one tomorrow, but I have done 2 this week

With my strength circuits I threw in some of the exercises for the mini challenge which was awesome! And seeing as we still need to unlock the letter A I did some Alligator Push Ups which were actually quite fun, so I'm thinking of throwing them into my normal routine.

That's about it for today, but I know I'm going to be a bit bad today calorie wise because I've got a LAN party tonight so I imagine there will be snacks and booze!

Anyway, keep up the good work rebels! 

Level 1

High Score:

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines