Wollio's Strength for the Journey Ahead

Seeing as I'm posting this thread in the First Time challengers section, you have probably guessed by now that I am indeed a First Time Challenger. So here's a little back story: about 2 years ago my husband approached me with the idea that he wanted to retire early (like really really early, we're only 25) and do something extra awesome with our lives. I thought that sounded like a fantastic idea and ever since we have been making serious adjustments to our lifestyle in order to save enough money to quit our jobs and sail the world (as in a sailboat sail) with our now-2.5 year old son. We are currently approximately 1 year away from being able to have enough passive income through rental houses and savings to be able to accomplish that goal. Yay! 

However, about 2 months ago I came to the realization that I am not physically ready to live in a semi-dangerous environment. While I've worked hard at losing some of the excess weight gain from having a baby and am at a healthy weight now, I am still a terrible weakling. I'm still the girl in high school failing the hand strength test with a measly 19 when all my friends could pull 30-40. (I think those were pounds but I actually have no idea to this day what it was actually measuring.) I am not going to be the woman who couldn't save her husband from drowning because I couldn't lift him out of the water or endanger our family because I'm not strong enough to help bring the sails down in bad weather. I also don't like the fact that I need help carrying my SCUBA gear, because it just makes me feel foolish in a group of divers. 

Over the last month I've been working on the Angry Birds workout and have progressed as follows

• Push-ups: Struggling with 10 counter-height to currently working on chair height
  • Pull-ups (okay maybe I should be more realistic and say back work-out): Starting with 10 lb dumbbell rows to currently working on inverted rows (progressed through 25 lb rows)
  • Planks: Started at 1 min workout to working on 5 min workout
  • Squats: had to start back at the beginning recently when I realized that my ankle mobility was inhibiting squat capability. Working on improving ankle flexibility and doing 30 real squats.

I have also been bike riding with my husband for the last couple of months to increase my endurance and overall health. (Plus its fun!) We went on our longest ride to date last weekend at 35 miles and it completely kicked my ass. As in, when we got home I laid down on the couch and cried. I'd like to be able to do that ride again and further, but that may be another couple of weeks before I can push myself that far again. Plus I don't want to actually injure myself as that would really suck. 

Finally, my husband and I have gotten into the terrible habit of eating out almost every day for dinner. We are usually very good about lunch during the week, but have been eating at home only 1-2 days a week generally. When we are good about eating at home, we generally are much healthier as we intentionally don't buy junk food to keep in the house although we don't follow a specific diet. In addition, eating out is costing us somewhere in the range of $500-$700/month that could be going towards buying us a floating home! Not acceptable and needs to change.

Main Quest

To improve my strength and endurance in order to enjoy an epic journey to the fullest!

Challenge Goals

1. Complete 10 real push-ups during a single workout
  • A- 10 pushups
  • B- 5 pushups
  • C- 1 pushup
  • D- complete 20 knee pushups
  • F- anything less

2.  Ride 50 miles on my bike in a single day

• A- 50 miles
  • B- 45 miles
  • C- 40 miles
  • D- 35 miles
  • F- <35 miles

3.  Eat dinner at home (or free somewhere else) at least 5 times a week. 

• A- Average 5 times/week+
  • B- Average 4.5 times/week
  • C- Average 4 times/week
  • F- <4 times/week

Lifestyle Challenge Goal

I am the clutter queen and that needs to be improved greatly if I intend to run a household out of a 35 ft sailboat. Therefore, my goal will be to organize and declutter each room in my house including 3 bedrooms, office, bathroom, living/dining room, kitchen, and 3-seasons room.

• A- organize all 8 rooms
  • B- organize 7 rooms
  • C- organize 6 rooms
  • D- organize 5 rooms
  • F- <5 rooms

Motivation

post-18853-0-21059900-1374768736_thumb.j

Week 1 Wrap-Up

1. Advancing slowly in the push-up department. Got progressively better during 3 workouts this week. Hope to progress to knee push-ups in Week 2.

2. Goal for this week was 28 mi. Completed a 30 mi ride on Sunday, woot! Hoping to hit 35 mi in Week 2

3. Ate dinner at home 5 times this week (might become 6 tonight). Really helped to make a meal plan ahead of time, expecting good results to continue.

Lifestyle: Organized master bedroom, office, and nursery. Good start but these were the easiest. Goal to complete playroom including donating old toys in Week 2. Hopefully my son won't put up too much of a fight!

Week 2 Wrap-Up

1. Shout out to Dr. Who's Sidekicks for pushing me to go ahead to knee push-ups instead of staying on chair height! Busted through knee push-ups this week and did my first standard push-up on Friday.

2. Unfortunately wasn't able to go on a long ride this week. Hoping to stay on track in Week 3.

3. Ate dinner at home 5 times this week, including the whole weekend. Had some delicious grouper that my brother-in-law speared on our last SCUBA trip...sweet victory.

Lifestyle: Organized playroom and donated old toys, my 2 year old even helped me pack them up! It's nice to start feeling like my house is getting cleaner, major stress relief for sure. Week 3 I'm planning to complete the Living/Dining room areas and hopefully start on the kitchen or bathroom. 

Week 3 Wrap-Up (Halfway there!)

1. Huge accomplishment this week...defeat of the push-ups! As of Friday, I completed 12 push-ups during one workout, which gives me an A for the challenge. Will continue advancing push-ups during the remainder of the challenge.

2. Went on a 30 mi ride this week again. Still respectable, but not as far as I would have liked due to hubby not feeling well after his wisdom teeth extraction. Planning to find a better trail for Week 4's ride to make a longer ride more enjoyable.

3. Ate dinner at home 4 times this week, first bump under 5 average. Didn't plan well enough for easily edible foods after hubby's teeth plus a family birthday. Hoping to do better this week.

Lifestyle: Completed the daunting task of the living and dining areas and started on kitchen. Hoping to finish kitchen and possibly work on bathroom this week as well. 

Week 4 Wrap-Up

1. Had a small set-back on push-ups as my husband informed me that my form was hurting my ability to progress. Changed form and went back to knee push-ups for the time being.

2. Finally broke 30 mi this week. Hit 35 on Sunday, so at the very least I've now gotten into grading range and gotten back to the killer ride we did before the challenge started. It didn't even make me cry!

3. 4 times again this week, which is a little disappointing. Getting some push back from my husband who now wants to evaluate the cost of each meal at home vs eating out which is going to take some serious number crunching to do right. 4 is better than none though I guess.

Lifestyle: Kitchen complete! Bathroom should be this week, which mainly just consists of cleaning out the linen closet. It's kinda scary in there lol.

post-18853-0-21059900-1374768736_thumb.j

Wollio

Lvl 3 Human Warlock Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 5

"Happiness is anyone and anything at all

That’s loved by you."

-You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Battle of the Willpower Wastelands (Current Challenge)

The Need for Speed (Ch 2)

Strength for the Journey Ahead (Ch 1)

Countdown to an Epic Journey (Intro)

Follow the Horizon (personal blog)

I love your motivation photo! The best way I found for us to reduce our eating-out habits is by picking at least 1 new recipe to try every week, it has really worked and been so fun to be in the kitchen together.

Good luck!

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

STR 3 | DEX  | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

"If you think you've got 100 extra years to mess around, you're wrong.
This time is real. Your time is now. It's hero time"

- Henry Rollins

Thanks guys! Trying a new recipe is a great idea! Last night we made use of our homegrown tomatoes and onions to make a delicious tomato soup from scratch. It was great and it's nice to know that our multitude of tomatoes won't go to waste. Now if I could just find some creative recipes for the cucumber plant...suggestions anyone? (And yes I know we could make pickles  :tongue:

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Cucumber soup? Although you just did the tomato soup...

In the hot weather I love cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and fresh soft cheese tossed in homemade vinaigrette.

Level 2 Vulcan Assassin

STR 3 | DEX  | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

"If you think you've got 100 extra years to mess around, you're wrong.
This time is real. Your time is now. It's hero time"

- Henry Rollins

Your goals look great! And sailing around the world sounds fantastic, I really hope you achieve your dream! That bike ride sounded super fun too, cycling is definitely one of my favourite things, shame I have no where to store a bike though otherwise I'd cycle everywhere. 

Level 1 | Wood Elf 

@tumbling cat: no excuses allowed! there are always folding bikes and where do you store your car?!  :playful: And I am definitely looking forward to the sailing for sure! In fact, I have to be very intentional about maintaining motivation at work because of how much I want to just say F*** this and leave now!

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Wollio, great goals!  They all point directly to your motivation.  I know that you are going to be able to show up when your family needs you.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

PS -- Cucumber water...so refreshing! :-)

missrackl

Level 1 Rebel Reboot

Activities: cycling, running, snowshoeing

Fandoms: Rick and Morty, LotR, Thursday Next, Star Wars (of course!)

Goals: 1) Keep on running, 2) Eat on diet, 3) Read a book

I know, I shouldn't make excuses...I don't drive a car and my family's car is just parked out the front of the house (no garage). The only place I could store one would be in the garden shed, but that's already filled with things I doubt it can fit a bike too. I will just have to stick with the gym's stationary bikes for the moment.

Level 1 | Wood Elf 

WOW! it's amazing that you are getting ready to go on such an epic journey! You are obviously able to pick a goal and stick with it. You did to come this far to sail around the world! You can do this. How are the push ups coming? And the room challenge? I'm doing one, too. Pantry/laundry room is first on my list and I've got 2 more days to get it done. I guess I should work on that today while my son is at a friend's place and hubby is at work, eh?

Newbie Human Ranger Level 1

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 CON 0 WIS 0 CHA 0

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34543-how-sasx-gets-her-groove-back/

Push-ups are ... coming, lol. I'm currently working through the "Angry Birds" format so I'm trying to accomplish 20 reps of chair height in 2 sets. Then I'll move to knee push-ups and then hopefully to real ones. My last 2 workouts were 7,7,6 and 8,7,6 so I'm getting close but not quite ready to move to the knee yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to "level up" in the next 2 workouts or so to keep on track. Luckily, my goal is to do 10 push-ups in one workout and not in 1 set, so I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to make it by the end.

Cleaning the house is certainly a challenge. Working full time with a 2 year old in the house makes it feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back sometimes but I just keep fighting the good fight  :smile-new:! I love that my hubby and I spend so much time together, but it certainly makes it hard to find time to organize. He is totally on-board with my 6 week challenge, though so I can't use him as much of an excuse, haha. 

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Added Week 1 summary to original post.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Push-ups are ... coming, lol. I'm currently working through the "Angry Birds" format so I'm trying to accomplish 20 reps of chair height in 2 sets. Then I'll move to knee push-ups and then hopefully to real ones. My last 2 workouts were 7,7,6 and 8,7,6 so I'm getting close but not quite ready to move to the knee yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to "level up" in the next 2 workouts or so to keep on track. Luckily, my goal is to do 10 push-ups in one workout and not in 1 set, so I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to make it by the end.

Cleaning the house is certainly a challenge. Working full time with a 2 year old in the house makes it feel like 1 step forward, 2 steps back sometimes but I just keep fighting the good fight  :smile-new:! I love that my hubby and I spend so much time together, but it certainly makes it hard to find time to organize. He is totally on-board with my 6 week challenge, though so I can't use him as much of an excuse, haha. 

Have you tried doing a standard push up yet? You really might surprise yourself. I had been doing wall pushups for weeks in addition to lifting and was shocked the first time I dropped and did 5 in a row. Great job this week! 

Level 2 || Bespectacled Viking

STR 4.5 | DEX 2 | STA 3 CON 2 WIS 2.5 CHA 2 

Blawwwg

Challenge 2 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

Challenge 1 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

You know, I've been kind of a wimp about trying a normal one again. When I first started, I could only do counter height push-ups and once I completed 40 in 2 sets, I thought maybe I could try doing a normal one. It was a total no go, so I had to move all the way back up to 24 in before I could even progress to 18 in (chair height). I haven't tried a real one since, probably because I'm afraid of getting discouraged when I feel like I'm making progress. However, if I don't get the chair height ones completed by the end of this week, I will definitely try normal push-ups and move up most likely to knee push-ups even if I can't complete 20 chair height in 2 sets. (I feel like I'm plateauing there a bit.)

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Woolio, there is no wimping here! You are not a wimp. You are here to face a challenge that you have put out there for yourself. You can do it!

Here are a couple of things you can try to get you where you want to go. First, try planks- planks are the 'up' part of the push up. that will help your body get used to the position and your arm, chest and core muscles ready, too. time yourself. how long can you hold plank before your form goes? Then next time, try a few more seconds...and on and on. if you want, start from your knees, then try with one leg/one knee down and alternate each time so your core gets stronger on both sides.

Second, try a push up from your knees. now. just do it. don't worry about the full push up yet. you will get there. but try a knee one now. a note though: if you have slippery floors use a yoga mat, or bare skin on the floor, or you'll be sliding everywhere! trust me, I have hardwood floors, I use skin, or have to spit on my shoes to keep traction.

You can do it. It might take time, but you will do it! Little steps still move you in the same direction!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34543-how-sasx-gets-her-groove-back/

Thanks for the encouragement SASX and AniKing! So I tried doing a normal one again last night, still a no-go. BUT, I did make the switch this morning to the knee push-ups and did a lot better than I thought I would! Also, I think I will start doing full planks to help strengthen my arms and core. I had been doing planks on my forearms for a while, and actually have been neglecting those the last 2 weeks because I had progressed to the point that I could do a full 5 min of planks in 2 sets. I was just getting super bored of those planks. I think moving up to straight arm ones is a great idea though! I'm going to get these done!

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Okay, so moving up was a great idea! Today I busted through 23 knee push-ups in 2 sets (16,7) and did my first real push-up ever! It wasn't the most beautiful push-up, but I kept my form so I'm counting it haha. I'm not sure why I was stuck so long on the chair height ones, but I think it probably has to do with the sideways angle and closer hand positioning than a normal one, because I was getting really fatigued doing them but then never felt my muscles actually get sore. I can always tell when I'm not doing exercises correctly when I can't feel the right muscle groups working.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Okay, so moving up was a great idea! Today I busted through 23 knee push-ups in 2 sets (16,7) and did my first real push-up ever! It wasn't the most beautiful push-up, but I kept my form so I'm counting it haha. I'm not sure why I was stuck so long on the chair height ones, but I think it probably has to do with the sideways angle and closer hand positioning than a normal one, because I was getting really fatigued doing them but then never felt my muscles actually get sore. I can always tell when I'm not doing exercises correctly when I can't feel the right muscle groups working.

Woo Hoo :victorious: Good for you, Wollio! I knew you could do it! Congrats on completing the knee push ups and your first from-the-toes push up. I feel that from the knees and table push ups are still real push ups. They are push ups that you can do at that time. So now you have graduated from table push ups to knees and toes! It is totally awesome! Along with doing hand planks instead of forearm planks, you can do tranisition planks (you don't move position, just arms): basically you actively transition between hand and forearm planks. start on hands, move down to elbows one at a time, then back up to hands make sure to alternate the up/down arm so they both get a workout. core and arm workout it's a killer! start on your knees if you want to get used to the movements then try on your toes! YOu'll feel this in your obliques and chest for sure!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines