Random Forum Guy's 3rd Challenge: Fit Into Those Pants!

I learned a lot during the last challenge. Namely that I bit off far more than I could chew, and that I focused too heavily on removing negative behaviors instead of adding positive ones. This time I aim to correct those shortcomings.

Main Quest: Fit into my "Healthy Pants"

I've got a bin under my bed full of all the clothes I used to wear when I was fit and active. I've managed to swell up four pant sizes since becoming a father and moving into a more sedentary job. Ultimately, I'd like to get back down to that pant size, which puts me right in the middle of BMI/BF% range for my height.

Motivation

This one's easy: Be a fit, active role model for my family

Goal 1: Eat like a Buddhist Monk Const +2 Char +3

Many years ago I followed a diet known as The Warrior Diet. It's essentially a diet based on intermittent fasting and focusing on whole foods. It worked really well for me for a couple of years, and for whatever reason I stopped (a lot of things changed when I had kids :) ). This is sort of an inverse monk diet. Many Buddhist monastics do not eat after noon. This is a similar eating window, except only during a four hour (4pm-8pm) window in the evening. Raw fruits and veggies are okay during the day, so not a true water fast. Also small amounts of nuts/seeds/kefir as recovery after a workout.

Ideally, this also encompasses a non-processed, whole foods approach. For this challenge, I'm really focusing on adjusting to the diet and not worrying too much about eating perfectly. Although I will try to limit junk food. This diet worked well for me in the past, as my appetite is most active in the late afternoon/evening. I've never been a big breakfast person and usually work through lunch anyway, so it's very easy and freeing to just be able to grab an apple or a handful of berries and not have to worry about packing a big lunch. More about the diet: http://www.warriordiet.com/

Goal 2: Build strength, burn fat Str +3 Dex +1 Sta +1

In order to ramp up my metabolism, I need to increase my activity and strength. To accomplish this, I will do the Angry Birds workout as a high-intensity circuit two times per week. Since I have a sedentary job, I will also make a commitment to go for a 30-minute walk at least 3 days per week at work. Although I won't be measuring this part, I will also make an effort to be as active as possible in the evening with my kids, whether it's going for walks, playing outside, etc.

Goal 3: Get flexible Sta +2 Const +2 Cha +1

Sitting in an office all day is just horrible on the body. In addition to the strength and endurance training, I need to make sure my body stays flexible and resilient. To do so, I will do at least 30minutes of yoga three times per week. I am incredibly stiff and inflexible, but fortunately I have this great DVD called "Yoga for Inflexible People" that does a great job of modifying asanas (with chairs, blocks, etc) for those who are very stiff.

I'm not going to specify any Life or Side Quests this time. I don't want to spread myself thin, as I really need to lock in these good habits.

So the short version for tracking is

1) Follow the Monk Diet every day

2) Angry Birds workout at high intensity (circuit) twice per week + 30mins walking at lunch three times per week

3) 30+ minutes of yoga three times per week

Scoring will simply be a % based on # of days/times I succeeded for each goal.

I'm also going to post my current stats here. I do not plan to weigh/measure myself again until the challenge is over, as I don't like to get hung up on numbers. I know that especially weight can fluctuate quite a bit during the day. I'd rather just get a long-term snapshot.

Stats:

Weight: 212

Waist: 46"

Hips: 39.5"

R. Thigh: 26"

R. Bicep: 14"

Neck: 16"

Chest: 42.5"

Cave Dweller Druid, Level 4

STR: 5 | DEX: 5 | STA: 9 | CON: 10 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 8 Start:1/2/1/3/6/2

I love your goals!  I'm thinking I should try the "Yoga for Inflexible People" because I sit at a desk all day long and know that I would benefit from something like that.  Also, I must admit, I'm quite fascinated by The Warrior Diet.  I get so tired of constantly worrying about making sure to eat enough during the day...or stressing if I ate too much - I swear food is always on my brain!  I'm excited to read your updates to see how you're doing with that diet.  Good luck to you!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

You should definitely check out the DVD! http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Inflexible-People-Judi-Rice/dp/B00006JXWB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374788404&sr=8-1&keywords=yoga+for+inflexible+people 

It has TONS of different progressions, so it never gets boring or repetitive. 

This way of eating is very, very liberating in terms of food preparation. The whole "six small meals a day" philosophy just stressed me out, always having to think about eating. The other huge benefit for me is that my energy stays consistent and steady the whole day--there's none of that sluggish post-lunch feeling. 

Nice goals!  That Warrior Diet looks interesting.  I've never been a big breakfast person, either.  For years I refused to eat anything before noon.  I'll have to look into this more.  I never liked the whole "eat a small meal every three hours, blah blah blah" approach.  It was too controlled, too nit-picky.  Best of luck!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Wow RFG, so much dedication, learning from before and simplicity. I'm in awe. And " yoga for inflexible people"

- I love the title!!

Since last challenge I am now able to fit into everything in my closet and it feels great, so good motivation there!!

What about grading? ( I haven't done mine yet, need to get to it ;-))

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I love your goals, they are specific and attainable and will definitely challenge you. Best of luck!

Level 2 Half-Elf Druid

STR 2 | DEX 6 | STA 6 | CON 4 | WIS 8.5 | CHA 3.5

1st challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30386-faery-face%E2%80%99s-1st-challenge/

2nd challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33600-faery-faces-round-2-grounding-myself/

A dream doesn't become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work. ~ Colin Powell

Day One

Just finished my lunchtime walk! I'm a bit frustrated already, as it seems the cold I've been fighting has gone to my chest a bit. I'm going to try the workout tomorrow morning, but if I'm feeling worse then I will substitute yoga for the rest of the week. I'm not going to risk aggravating it with an intense workout.

So far so good on the diet today...

Did yoga tonight! So off to a good start.

Week One Running Stats:

Workout: 0/2

Walking: 1/3

Yoga: 1/3

Diet: 1/7

I know what you mean about the DVDs. I bought a cheap player, as I watch everything streaming these days.

But this is a kind of unique DVD. There's probably like 70-80 different asanas, but there's a menu structure that has them organized into over 35 different routines. So there's hip sequences, leg, back, shoulders, energizing, quieting, and so on. So it doesn't get boring like DVDs where its just a couple fixed routines that get old fast.

Really money well spent!

i like that you concentrate on a few things to really makee a change there! :) the diet wouldnt be something i could do but sounds reasonable and healthy to me. and i totally get the " need to fit into those pants" part... am there myself ... :)

keep up the good work! :)

Day Two

Decided not to do the ABW due to chest cold, but did 45 minute yoga session instead. I may end up switching to yoga in general, as I always feel great afterwards. And it always ends up being much more of a workout than I anticipate!

Week One Running Stats:

Workout: 1/2

Walking: 1/3

Diet: 2/7

Day Three

My body is rebelling against me today! Now I seem to have developed a sinus infection and have had stomach issues all morning. I decided to eat something for lunch today, so that's a big red X for the diet today. But it's what I needed so I will just get back on track tomorrow. I don't think it's adjustment problems as I had actually started shifting towards the monk diet approach a week before this started.

Getting ready to go for my work walk now though. Depending on how I feel I will try to do my second 30-minute yoga session tonight.

Week One Running Stats:

Workout: 1/2

Walking: 2/3

Diet: 2/7

Sorry to hear you're under the weather!  That can really mess with plans.  I wouldn't beat yourself up over eating lunch, especially if you feel that's what you needed.  I usually do my workout before breakfast, and a couple times ago I really, really shouldn't have.  Sometimes ya just gotta eat :)  Do you do anything for your sinuses?  I do a sinus rinse twice a day when mine are bad, and it really helps a lot.  Hope you start feeling better soon!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Sinus infections are the worst! Sorry to hear it. And if a lunch is what your body needs to feel better, then maybe just call it a "little hiccup" instead of a "big red x" so you aren't too hard on yourself. :) Take care and feel better!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Hey RFG! You have encompassed the new framework for goals so beautifully-- what a powerful motivator to be a role model for your family!

You are doing a great job so far, especially with not feeling 100%. Good work taking care of yourself and still remaining active.

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

A lot of the guys I work with are getting sick as well! It seems to be going around.

If you're ill, eating healthy and getting enough rest are the most important things to do to feel better.

Yoga and running can wait =)  Maybe yoga in a heated studio might actually clear up your sinuses?  I used to go into a sauna when I had a little cold; it was a fairly quick and simple solution.

Feel better soon!

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

Day Four

Hi All, thanks for the support! The infection is starting to breakup, so that is good! The sinus infections I get are a bit odd in that I don't have any drainage/congestion like most people. Mine basically swell completely shut, and I get massive face/head pain. Basically feels like someone is standing on my face. I couldn't do anything yesterday but lay down with a hot pack on my face. I used to take antiobiotics for them (usually get ~2 a year as a secondary infection following colds), but now I do megadose Vitamin C therapy, which works just as well, maybe better, without the downsides of antiobiotics. 

Anywho, felt a lot better this afternoon after my sinuses started to "pop," so did a long (for me) 75-minute yoga session as my workout replacement. Was tough, but felt great!

Week One Running Stats:

Workout: 2/2

Walking: 2/3

Diet: 3/7

When my sinuses act up, I don't get any drainage/congestion either, I just get a killer headache, and as it gets worse it moves down into my face.  Although it sounds like you have even more pain than I do :(  Glad to hear you're starting to recover!  Good for you, getting in some yoga!  Keep it up!

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

I get the same type of sinus headaches whenever a weather front that brings rain goes thru.  It is like my head doesn't want to adjust to the change in weather pressure.

Glad to hear you are starting to feel better and it seems like you are on course to meet your weekly goals. Way to go.

Day 5

Got my third work-walk in. Yesterday was back on track with the diet, but today was a bust... pizza lunch at work and I ... just... couldn't...resist. Oh well no reason to beat myself up. Just have to get back on the horse tomorrow. I still need to do two more 30min yoga sessions. Will probably do those Saturday and Sunday.

Week One Running Stats:

Workout: 2/2

Walking: 3/3

Diet: 4/7

It always kills me when there's "bad" food at the office.  Luckily, I was more tempted today by the whole milk in the fridge than the free Krispy Kremes today!

Just get back on track for dinner and no love lost =) That's how I always run: get back on track for the next meal and let it gooooooo.

Way to go meeting your workout and walking goals early!

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines