peggysr Level 3: Better, Stronger, Faster

peggysr

DO NOT FREAK OUT;-)

You're doing great and the mere fact that you reflect, plan and take care is more important than numbers ...

Thankfully I'm over freaking out and gradually adding exercises as I feel up to them.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Not hurting yourself is way more important than meeting your original goals!  Be careful, listen to your body, blah blah blah you've heard all this before.  But seriously, it's a lot more important that you take care of yourself right now.  Anyway, glad to hear about the Obstacle Race Training Bible.  I wish we had a bookstore around my house I could just wind up in some evenings...

Good luck!

I'm hoping to be back to the full workout routine next week, but I'm being VERY careful and listening to my body.

Oddly enough, the bookstore is an hour away, although we do have a local one.  Ed and I were 45 min into the drive to drum class when the teacher called to cancel class, so we decided to do something fun close to where we were.  We braved a sporting goods store, bought a foam roller, and leisurely walked the length of the mall stopping at a couple of stores to browse.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

I'm hoping to be back to the full workout routine next week, but I'm being VERY careful and listening to my body.

Oddly enough, the bookstore is an hour away, although we do have a local one.  Ed and I were 45 min into the drive to drum class when the teacher called to cancel class, so we decided to do something fun close to where we were.  We braved a sporting goods store, bought a foam roller, and leisurely walked the length of the mall stopping at a couple of stores to browse.

Good for you! Listening to your body can never go wrong. I wish I had right before I got injured last time, when my body was saying "uhhh yeah that's enough" but my mind pushed for "go go GO!" ;) Sounds like you will not be falling into the same trap!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Lots to catch up on after a week at the beach.  Whatever I pulled 2 weeks ago isn't 100% better, but at least exercise is no longer aggravating it.  I chilled a LOT at the beach, but managed to get a couple of workouts in.  My new adjustable dumbells came just before we left, so we brought them along.  Here's an update:

8/13

Cardio workout 1/2 week of 8/12

Walked 2 miles on the beach.

8/16

Strength workout 1/2 week of 8/12

Workout A

Overhead Squats – 3 sets of 10, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 10, holding a 12.5 lb weight

filled rest period with 3 second calf raises  - 3 sets of 10

Decline Push Ups (Push Ups / Incline Push Ups) – 3 sets of 8, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 8, on the banister around the stairs

filled rest period with inner and outer forearm curls - 3 sets of 10 with 15 lbs on outer, 12.5 lbs on inner

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 3A) Step Ups With External Rotation – set of 10, go right to 3B        3 sets of 10 on staircase which is lower than hearth
• 3B) Plank - hold 40 seconds each, 60 second rest, go back to 3A    3 sets for 45 / 30 / 20 sec (did all THREE!)

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 4A) Chin Ups (Assisted Chin Ups / Lat Pull Down) – sets of 5, go right to 4B  - 3 sets of 10 with new bands
• 4B) Exercise Ball Crunch (Reverse Crunch)– as many as you can, 60            - 3 sets of 20/15/15
second rest, return to 4A

followed with plenty of stretching, still stretching on exhale and releasing on inhale, and repeating each stretch 5 times. 

8/18

Cardio workout 1/2 week of 8/12

Tried to do an interval workout with Ed, Rose & Ben PLUS two dogs.  I made it through TWO of six intervals--I need to pace myself instead of trying to run as fast as my children do!  Timing was pretty useless because the dogs made us stop repeatedly for their potty breaks.  Total Distance:  1.8 miles  Total Time:  33 minutes, 15? seconds

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

8/18

Strength workout 2/2 week of 8/12

Pushing a little by doing both cardio and strength today, but this means 4 workouts this week!

Moved from 12 lb weights on warmup to 15 lb.  (+3 lbs) and added weight to hip raises (+45 lbs)

Outcast Workout B
Straight Leg Deadlift – 4 sets of 8, 60 second rests.     4 sets of 8, 2x25 lbs (+5x2 lbs)

filled rest period with shoulder rotations                   4 sets of 10, 2 x 8 lbs (TRY a heavier weight next time)

Body Weight Row (or Bent Over Dumbbell Row) – 4 sets of 8, 60 second rests.   4 sets of 8, 2x22.5 lbs (+2.5 lbs)

filled rest period with One Leg Deadlift                                                               2 sets of 10, 2 sets of 5 on each side (oops!  just do 5 on each side next time)

SUPERSET (4 total sets)
• 3A) Walking Lunge with kick – sets of 8, go right to 3B                                   2 sets of 8, 2 sets of 4
• 3B) Side Plank – sets of 40 seconds (alternate sides - set 1 left side,            4 sets of 10ish seconds
set 2 right side, set 3 left side, set 4 right side), 60 second rest, then
repeat 3A

SUPERSET (4 total sets)
• 4A) Overhead Dumbbell Press – sets of 8, go right to 4B                              4 sets of 8, 2x12 lbs (-8 lbs)
• 4B) Reverse Crunch – as many as you can, 60 second rest,                         4 sets:  25 / 20 / 15 / 15
then repeat 4A

Did FOUR sets on each of the super sets, although I had to cut way back on reps / time on the first super set.  Shoulders felt like something might get injured on the last super set, so I dropped WAY back on the weight.  Lunges are REALLY hard for me, so I held a lunge stretch for about a minute on each side.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

8/19

Cardio Workout 1/2 for week of 8/19

Experimented with running as long as I could, followed by walking, to try building endurance.  We sort of broke the .9 mile loop into two "intervals" and ran from the beginning of each interval for as far as we could run.  It turns out not very far, but we'll run a little farther next week.  I plan to do this workout once a week, and do two regular interval workouts each week.

Interval 1, 3:  far corner to Valeri's driveway, far corner to end of Valeri's lot

Interval 2:      pavement change to middle of Tersiguel's yard

Total Distance:  2.7 miles Total Time:  44 minutes, 57 seconds  This is a baseline time for this workout, and the pace is comparable to other workouts.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Fuel the Body Tracking

8/19    1 pt--NO wheat or sugar today!

8/20    1 pt--2 squares of dark chocolate

8/21     1 pt--Bread at Panera, 1 square of dark chocolate

8/22    1 pt--Bread with tapenade, 1 square of dark chocolate

8/23    1 pt--2 squares of dark chocolate

8/24    1/2 pt--1 square of dark chocolate, pasta for dinner, pigged out on brownies, THREE mojitos

8/25    1 pt--nachos for dinner

8/26    1 pt

8/27    1 pt--D&I Staff Meeting till 6

8/28    1 pt--forgot to eat while I was in the yard

8/29    1 pt

8/30    1/2 pt--make banana bread & pigged out

8/31    1 pt--meals at 4 quarters

9/1      1 pt--bread w/honey butter, chocolate cake, sandwich for lunch

9/2      1 pt--still munchy, but did okay.  Chinese food for dinner, several squares of chocolate

9/3      1 pt--one square of chocolate, Chinese food & homemade panang curry

9/4      1 pt--leftovers

9/5      1 pt--visited museum, ate 4 veggie sides at the museum cafe

9/6      1 pt--visited zoo, ate Greek food

9/7      1/2 pt--too much banana bread

9/8      1/2 pt--pigged out on banana bread

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Sleep and Meditation Tracking

8/19    12:00 am    15 minutes at bedtime

8/20   12:30 am    15 minutes at bedtime

8/21     --              15 minutes at bedtime

8/22    --              15 minutes at bedtime

8/23    --              15 minutes at bedtime

8/24    --              15 minutes at bedtime

8/25    --              15 minutes at bedtime

8/26   --               15 minutes at bedtime

8/27   --               15 minutes at bedtime

8/28   --               15 minutes at bedtime

8/29   --               15 minutes at bedtime

8/30   --

8/31   --

9/1     --

9/2    -- (melatonin)

9/3    --(melatonin)

9/4    --(melatonin)   15 minutes at bedtime

9/5    --(melatonin)   15 minutes at bedtime

9/6    --(melatonin)

9/7    --(melatonin)

9/8    --(melatonin)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Mid Challenge Checkin

Goal 1:  Fuel myself properly. 

16.5 out of 21 possible points, 78%.  That's a high C, and I should be able to pull it up to a B if I focus for the next three weeks.

Goal 2:  4-6 workouts each week.

I injured something just before the challenge started and figured it out after a couple of workouts.  I'm reducing my goal by 3 workouts to make up for the week I lost recovering.

Strength Workouts:  3

Cardio Workouts:     6

That works out to 4 workouts a week minus one week, which would give me a B.  That's approximate, but still very encouraging.

Goal 3:  Go to bed at 10 pm each night.

2 out of 21 possible points.  I'm doing miserably at this, but I'm hoping that I'll do better when the kids start school next week.  I keep telling myself that what is measured improves.

Goal 4:  Meditate for 15 minutes each day.

7 out of 21 possible points.  I started really well, and then dropped off.  15 minutes seems a LOT longer than 10.  I've upgraded my timer so it now clicks every 5 minutes which helped last night.

Over all, I'm doing pretty well on the most important goals (food and exercise).  I need to work harder on the lifestyle stuff (meditation and sleep.)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Weight is a little tricky.  I lost 2 lbs during the last challenge, FOUR pounds between challenges, and 0.8 lbs so far during this challenge.  I'll keep an eye on it...

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Great job reducing your goal! I know that we're all a little too hard on ourselves sometimes, but doing something within your ability while you recover is much better than just sitting on your ass and losing all that progress. OR being too hard on your body and getting further injured. I backed off of running yesterday because I felt a cringe in my knee. Better to be proactive about these things rather than regret it later!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

8/20

Up at 7 am today, so tired.  Still sore from getting back into the groove.

Strength workout 1/2 week of 8/19

Workout A

Overhead Squats – 3 sets of 10, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 10, holding a 15 lb weight (+2.5 lbs)

filled rest period with 5 second calf raises  - 3 sets of 10 (1 set of 3 second, 2 sets of 5 second)

Decline Push Ups (Push Ups / Incline Push Ups) – 3 sets of 8, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 8, on the piano

filled rest period with inner and outer forearm curls - 3 sets of 10 with 15 lbs on outer (15/17.5/17.5) (+2.5lbs), 12.5 lbs on inner (10/12.5/12.5)

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 3A) Step Ups With External Rotation – set of 10, go right to 3B        3 sets of 10 on hearth
• 3B) Plank - hold 40 seconds each, 60 second rest, go back to 3A    3 sets for 30 / 20 / 30 sec

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 4A) Chin Ups (Assisted Chin Ups / Lat Pull Down) – sets of 5, go right to 4B  - 3 sets of 10 with new bands
• 4B) Exercise Ball Crunch (Reverse Crunch)– as many as you can,              - 3 sets of 20/15/15 (+5/+5/+10)
60 second rest, return to 4A

followed with plenty of stretching, still stretching on exhale and releasing on inhale, and repeating each stretch 5 times.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Tidbit of Happiness:  My office moved to a new building in February.  I used to work on the seventh floor, and now I'm on the sevenTEENTH floor.  Today for the first time, I had to go down ALL those stairs due to a fire alarm.  I had no trouble at all.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Tidbit of Happiness:  My office moved to a new building in February.  I used to work on the seventh floor, and now I'm on the sevenTEENTH floor.  Today for the first time, I had to go down ALL those stairs due to a fire alarm.  I had no trouble at all.

Little victories! ;) Now, are you going to go up those stairs from time to time?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Little victories! ;) Now, are you going to go up those stairs from time to time?

Working up to it...

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

8/21

Cardio training 2/2 for week of 8/19

Goal:  6 intervals of 1 min fast / 2 min slow.

Ed ran with me.   I finished only 5 intervals, but pushed pretty hard on the fifth. It was hot and humid, and we were working on walking faster between intervals.

Total distance:  1.8 miles.  Total time:  27 min, 45 sec, 30 seconds faster than last time, and our best time ever (by one second)

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Agreed with you on pushing through the walking intervals. I used to take it completely easy but now have moved up to 4MPH. I'm amazed by how much extra distance you can cover!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

8/24

Bonus Cardio

Hiked Section C of the Billy Goat Trail, this time with all the kids and both dogs.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Hey peggy just stopping by to see how things are going.  Great job on the stairs at work.  I used to have to do 22 flights for our fire drill and my calves would be so sore the next day! I had active coworkers so we ended up making a weekly challenge and we got really good at doing it fast.  Now I'm only on floor 6.  2 weeks to go... let's finish strong!

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

8/25 Bonus Workout

EIGHT hours of yard work.  I haven't been able to work in the yard for that long since I broke my ankle in Feb of 2012.   I'm really excited about getting stronger and being able to do what I want.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines