peggysr Level 3: Better, Stronger, Faster

peggysr

Hey peggy!

Yard work is THE BEST. I love it: it's fun and a good workout  :onthego:

Keep working on the sleep goal, before you know it you'll improve. For some reason it's working really well for me this time (well it helps that my partner goes to bed at the same time  :orange:  )

Meditation takes time and practice and then even more time and practice. But it is very rewarding in the end.

GREAT work on the intervals!!!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Lots of non standard workouts recently with days off and trips out of town.

8/28

Bonus Workout

6 hours of yard work

8/29

Cardio Training 1/2 for week of 8/26

Goal:  6 intervals of 1 min fast / 2 min slow.

Finished all six intervals.

Total distance:  1.8 miles.  Total time:  27 min, 27 sec, 18 seconds faster than last time, and our best time ever (by 18 second)

8/31

Bonus Cardio Training

40 minute walk up and down the mountain where we're camping

8/31

Bonus Strength Training

Pulling Stones for Stones Rising at Four Quarters

9/1

Bonus Strength Training

Pulling Stones for Stones Rising at Four Quarters

Here's a pic of the stones in place.  One was 2,000 lbs; the other was 1,200 lbs.

Stones Rising 2013

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Yeah!!! Lookit all those 'bonus' workouts! If we were in school you'd be getting an A+ and a gold-foil star on your report card! ;)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

9/3

Bonus Workout

2.5 hours of yard work

9/4

Cardio Training 1/2 for the week of 9/2

Brisk walk to ease back into working out.  Total distance:  1.8 miles.  Total time:  32 min, 23 sec

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

When are we going to see that finished yard? ;)

When I get a chance, I'll update my garden blog and send you a link.  Sadly, all this work has cleaned up a tiny part of the yard--mostly around the driveway.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

I'm looking at those stones and saying, "Wow..."

Those were real-life crossfit style functional workouts.  They count for more than standard workouts, not less.

Peggy, you have been ingenious and committed, getting your workouts in with what you've had.

Great job!  Can't wait to talk with you and see your final results and improvements!

Shine shine shine!

You have a garden blog and you were accusing me of being a nerd? ;)

You have a NERDY blog.  I have girly blogs--crafts and gardening and life stuff.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Catching up after a long weekend of taking a friend sightseeing.  Lots of bonus workouts, but not much time for planned workouts.

9/5

Bonus Workout

Sightseeing on the Mall--Sackler Gallery, Smithsonian castle, two gardens, Museum of the American Indian

9/6

Bonus Workout

Smithsonian National Zoo

9/7

Bonus Workout

Baltimore Aquarium

(where we overheard a small cute child say, "Spiders have fur! They're just like puppies!")

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Challenge Wrap Up

Overall Grade:  C+

Food Goal Result:  35/42 points--A--CON +3

Workout Goal Result:  25 workouts --A--STR+3, STA+3, DEX+3

Sleep Goal Result:  2/42 points--F--CON+0

Meditation Goal Result:  20/42 pts--C--WIS+0.5, CHA+0.5

Druid Mini Quest:  Great Druid Book of Yoga Poses WIS+1

Druid Mini Quest:  Welcome to Equestria CHA+1

Old Stats

Level 2 Lycan Adventurer

Intro (STR: 7.5 | DEX: 3 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 2.75 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 3.5)

New Stats

Level 3 Lycan Adventurer

Intro (STR: 10.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 11.75 | CON: 5.75 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5)

Overall, I did well on my food and exercise goals, miserably on my sleep goal and not so well on my meditation goal.  I injured something in my shoulder or back just before the challenge started, so I missed some workouts due to recovery.  That made me even happier when I met the ORIGINAL criteria for an A based on the number of workouts This is the first time I've made an A on my workout goal; the first two challenges I made a B.

I moved from the Adventurer Guild to the Druid guild for this challenge, and got to make more virtual friends.  Influenced by the Druids, I added some yoga poses to my stretching routine and started learning the Sun Salutation sequence.  I'll probably look for more chances to do yoga going forward.  It's very relaxing and physically challenging at the same time.

I also participated in a WONDERFUL accountabilibuddy group--Stealth Ninja Bastards.  We're already making plans for the next challenge.  This group provided AMAZING support, and many of us are becoming fast friends.

This was the challenge where I saw how working out can pay off.  I did a LOT of active stuff--racing, hiking, sightseeing, pulling stones--and actually ENJOYED it.  I need to get back on track with "regular" workouts, but I'll watch for chances to do plenty of "bonus" workouts too.

Here's my original set of goals updated with detailed results. 

Main Quest

"We can rebuild him.  We can make him better, stronger, faster..."

This is longer term than just a few months.  I want to lose weight and get stronger.  It will probably take about a year for me to lose enough weight to weigh 150 pounds (or less,) which is the upper end of the suggested weight range for my height.  I'll judge more by how I look and feel than by the number on the scale.  This isn't just about getting SKINNY, though; I want to be able to do more, live longer, and look better.

One of my big intermediate goals is to to run (jog, NOT walk) a Warrior Dash.  There's probably one close to me around May 2014, since there was one in the DC/MD area in May 2013.  I'm working up to that with weekly strength and cardio training and racing regularly.  I've finished one 5k race so far, and hope to run another 4 races between now and the Warrior Dash.

Current Missions

1. Fuel myself properly and earn CON+3 by
    1. Eating ONLY when I'm hungry (1/4 pt per day)
    2. Eating ONLY real food--minimally processed meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and minimal dairy (1/4 pt per day)
    3. Not eating refined flour, refined sugar, deep fried foods, or processed foods (1/4  pt per day)
    4. Drinking plenty of water (1/4 pt per day)
      Result:  35/42 points--A--CON +3
      I'm really focusing on building habits rather than counting calories, fat grams, or anything else.  This was a BIG success.  I've dramatically reduced my intake of wheat, refined sugar, and processed foods.  I've kept up a habit of drinking plenty of water.  There's room for improvement--I still pig out when there's a tempting sweet around, and I'm eating rice and oats still.

2. Get stronger, faster, and more flexible and earn STR+3,  STA+3 and DEX+3 by completing 4-6 workouts every week, alternating strength and cardio workouts, and stretching for at least 10 minutes after each workout.
    Result:  25 workouts (11 of which were bonus workouts)--A--STR+3, STA+3, DEX+3
    This is an A by the skin of my teeth from a scoring perspective, but I did spend a couple of weeks recovering from an injury.  I also did a lot of "bonus" workouts which I decided do count as workouts.  This was the challenge when I got to see how awesome it feels to be stronger.  We hiked as a family, we raised gigantic stones for a stone circle, I wore out a friend sightseeing (and usually SHE wears ME out when we're together.)  I also did more cardio workouts than strength workouts, so I'll need to work on that balance next challenge.

3. Improve my health, get stronger faster, reduce stress, live longer and earn CON+1 by going to bed by 10 pm every night (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for going to bed by 11 pm)
    Result:  2/42 points
    --F--CON+0
    This was an ABYSMAL failure, and I'll try again next challenge.  I did talk to my doctor, and at her recommendation started taking melatonin which has been a HUGE help.  I now actually GET to sleep soon after I go to bed instead of tossing for hours.

Life Quest

1. Calm and focus my mind, reduce stress, live longer and earn WIS+1 and CHA+1 by meditating for 15 minutes every day (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for any meditation time)
    Result:  20/42 pts--C--WIS+0.5, CHA+0.5
    This is actually a couple of days FEWER than I meditated last challenge, probably because 15 minutes this challenge seemed a LOT longer than 10 minutes last challenge.  This is linked to my sleep goal because I usually meditate at bedtime to help me relax and unwind after the day.  When I stay up too late, I often choose not to take the time to meditate.  I'll work harder on this next challenge.

Grading

A (100%)              34-42 points       25-30 workouts
B  (75%)               25-33 points       19-24 workouts
C  (50%)               16-24 points       13-18 workouts
D  (25%)                 7-15 points        7-12 workouts
F    (0%)                 0 - 6 points        0 - 6 workouts

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

The fact that you scored an A while recovering through an injury is AMAZING. You are AMAZING! Can't wait to see you rock the Warrior Dash next year! See ya soon! ;) (And check your private messages!)

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Peggy, you did an amazing job on the eating and woring out challenges.  I think this is a HUGe victory, and more than enough to be proud of.  I am amazed by how motivated you stayed even through the injury.  You pushed above and beyond what anyone would have expected.

And as for sleeping, this challenge showed you where you had a big problem and helped you find a solution to test, which seems to be working pretty well so far.

The life quest shows a pattern I've seen several times now on our group's post, and also in my own challenge: rocking 2/3 or more of the missions and struggling hard on the life quest.

This is my conclusion: more than 2-3 missions is too much.  I think this is too big a division of focus for real success.  Next time, I'm picking 1-2 things period---MAYBE 3---and stopping there.  I think this may be a structural problem, not a personal failure.

Shine shine shine!

9/10

Cardio Workout 1/2 for week of 9/9

Endurance run, but only two loops because of time.

Interval 1:  far corner to mailbox of new house--further than last time!

Interval 2:      pavement change to driveway after Tersiguel's house--further than last time!

Total Distance:  1.8 miles Total Time:  untimed--watch is lost

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

9/11

Strength workout 1/2 week of 9/9

Getting back in the groove after lots of bonus workouts.

Workout A

Warm up:  20 jumping jacks, chops with 15 lb, 10 hip raises with 45 lb, 3 TOE pushups (not GREAT form)

Overhead Squats – 3 sets of 10, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 10, holding a 15 lb weight for 1, a 17.5 lb for 2 (+2.5 lbs)

filled rest period with 5 second calf raises  - 3 sets of 10 (3 sets of 5 second)

Decline Push Ups (Push Ups / Incline Push Ups) – 3 sets of 8, 60 second rest. - 3 sets of 3TOE pushups (not GREAT form)

filled rest period with inner and outer forearm curls - 3 sets of 10 with 17.5 lbs on outer (+2.5lbs), 12.5 lbs on inner

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 3A) Step Ups With External Rotation – set of 10, go right to 3B        3 sets of 10 on hearth
• 3B) Plank - hold 40 seconds each, 60 second rest, go back to 3A    3 sets for 40 / 20 / 30 sec

filled rest period with tricep curls - 3 sets of 10 with 10 lbs

SUPERSET (3 total sets)
• 4A) Chin Ups (Assisted Chin Ups / Lat Pull Down) – sets of 5, go right to 4B  - 3 sets of 10 with new bands
• 4B) Exercise Ball Crunch (Reverse Crunch)– as many as you can,              - 3 sets of 20/20/20 (+0/+5/+5)
60 second rest, return to 4A

filled rest period with triceps curls - 3 sets of 6 with 10 lbs

no time today for yoga poses and stretching!

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Holy Mary Mother f God...toe push ups.  And supersets.

We ARE squat-doing buddies!

Love you bunny!  I'm looking for a couple more free weight arm exercises.  Suggestions?

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Challenge Wrap Up

Overall Grade:  C+

Food Goal Result:  35/42 points--A--CON +3

Workout Goal Result:  25 workouts --A--STR+3, STA+3, DEX+3

Sleep Goal Result:  2/42 points--F--CON+0

Meditation Goal Result:  20/42 pts--C--WIS+0.5, CHA+0.5

Druid Mini Quest:  Great Druid Book of Yoga Poses WIS+1

Druid Mini Quest:  Welcome to Equestria CHA+1

Old Stats

Level 2 Lycan Adventurer

Intro (STR: 7.5 | DEX: 3 | STA: 8.75 | CON: 2.75 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 3.5)

New Stats

Level 3 Lycan Adventurer

Intro (STR: 10.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 11.75 | CON: 5.75 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5)

Overall, I did well on my food and exercise goals, miserably on my sleep goal and not so well on my meditation goal.  I injured something in my shoulder or back just before the challenge started, so I missed some workouts due to recovery.  That made me even happier when I met the ORIGINAL criteria for an A based on the number of workouts This is the first time I've made an A on my workout goal; the first two challenges I made a B.

I moved from the Adventurer Guild to the Druid guild for this challenge, and got to make more virtual friends.  Influenced by the Druids, I added some yoga poses to my stretching routine and started learning the Sun Salutation sequence.  I'll probably look for more chances to do yoga going forward.  It's very relaxing and physically challenging at the same time.

I also participated in a WONDERFUL accountabilibuddy group--Stealth Ninja Bastards.  We're already making plans for the next challenge.  This group provided AMAZING support, and many of us are becoming fast friends.

This was the challenge where I saw how working out can pay off.  I did a LOT of active stuff--racing, hiking, sightseeing, pulling stones--and actually ENJOYED it.  I need to get back on track with "regular" workouts, but I'll watch for chances to do plenty of "bonus" workouts too.

Here's my original set of goals updated with detailed results. 

Main Quest

"We can rebuild him.  We can make him better, stronger, faster..."

This is longer term than just a few months.  I want to lose weight and get stronger.  It will probably take about a year for me to lose enough weight to weigh 150 pounds (or less,) which is the upper end of the suggested weight range for my height.  I'll judge more by how I look and feel than by the number on the scale.  This isn't just about getting SKINNY, though; I want to be able to do more, live longer, and look better.

One of my big intermediate goals is to to run (jog, NOT walk) a Warrior Dash.  There's probably one close to me around May 2014, since there was one in the DC/MD area in May 2013.  I'm working up to that with weekly strength and cardio training and racing regularly.  I've finished one 5k race so far, and hope to run another 4 races between now and the Warrior Dash.

Current Missions

• Fuel myself properly and earn CON+3 by

• Eating ONLY when I'm hungry (1/4 pt per day)
    • Eating ONLY real food--minimally processed meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and minimal dairy (1/4 pt per day)
    • Not eating refined flour, refined sugar, deep fried foods, or processed foods (1/4  pt per day)
    • Drinking plenty of water (1/4 pt per day)Result:  35/42 points--A--CON +3

I'm really focusing on building habits rather than counting calories, fat grams, or anything else.  This was a BIG success.  I've dramatically reduced my intake of wheat, refined sugar, and processed foods.  I've kept up a habit of drinking plenty of water.  There's room for improvement--I still pig out when there's a tempting sweet around, and I'm eating rice and oats still.

• Get stronger, faster, and more flexible and earn STR+3,  STA+3 and DEX+3 by completing 4-6 workouts every week, alternating strength and cardio workouts, and stretching for at least 10 minutes after each workout.Result:  25 workouts (11 of which were bonus workouts)--A--STR+3, STA+3, DEX+3This is an A by the skin of my teeth from a scoring perspective, but I did spend a couple of weeks recovering from an injury.  I also did a lot of "bonus" workouts which I decided do count as workouts.  This was the challenge when I got to see how awesome it feels to be stronger.  We hiked as a family, we raised gigantic stones for a stone circle, I wore out a friend sightseeing (and usually SHE wears ME out when we're together.)  I also did more cardio workouts than strength workouts, so I'll need to work on that balance next challenge.

• Improve my health, get stronger faster, reduce stress, live longer and earn CON+1 by going to bed by 10 pm every night (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for going to bed by 11 pm)Result:  2/42 points--F--CON+0This was an ABYSMAL failure, and I'll try again next challenge.  I did talk to my doctor, and at her recommendation started taking melatonin which has been a HUGE help.  I now actually GET to sleep soon after I go to bed instead of tossing for hours.

Life Quest

• Calm and focus my mind, reduce stress, live longer and earn WIS+1 and CHA+1 by meditating for 15 minutes every day (1 pt per day, 1/2 pt for any meditation time)Result:  20/42 pts--C--WIS+0.5, CHA+0.5

This is actually a couple of days FEWER than I meditated last challenge, probably because 15 minutes this challenge seemed a LOT longer than 10 minutes last challenge.  This is linked to my sleep goal because I usually meditate at bedtime to help me relax and unwind after the day.  When I stay up too late, I often choose not to take the time to meditate.  I'll work harder on this next challenge.

Grading

A (100%)              34-42 points       25-30 workouts

B  (75%)               25-33 points       19-24 workouts

C  (50%)               16-24 points       13-18 workouts

D  (25%)                 7-15 points        7-12 workouts

F    (0%)                 0 - 6 points        0 - 6 workouts

Peggy, your whole summary just fills me with positive thoughts and inspiration. It really feels like you are on the right way, especially by finding the joy in the workouts. Thank you!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

9/13

Cardio Workout 2/2 for week of 9/9

Two loop endurance run.  This is working out REALLY well for me.  I think I need to get some serious practice at running very slowly for a fairly long time.  We switched to one interval per loop because we're running most of the first loop.

Interval 1:  far corner to just before Tersiguel's mailbox--twice as far as I've EVER run!

Interval 1:  far corner to just a little distance.  Conserving energy for the 5k tomorrow

Total Distance:  1.8 miles Total Time:  untimed--watch is lost (but I finally found it today!)

Took an hour to practice yoga poses and stretch.  I've REALLY missed that.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Peggy, your whole summary just fills me with positive thoughts and inspiration. It really feels like you are on the right way, especially by finding the joy in the workouts. Thank you!

Thank you so much!  What a sweet comment.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Bonus Cardio Workout 3/2 for the week of 9/9

Had a BLAST at the Color In Motion 5K getting covered with powdered color.  Lousy time (55 min 20 sec) and weird course (snaking around in a parking lot) but I was with a crowd of family and friends, the weather was GORGEOUS, and I finished.

Bonus Strength Workout 2/2 for the week of 9/9

NINE hours of yard work.  All the berry beds are weeded, covered with an inch or two of compost and 4 or 5 inches of wood chips.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines