KingZora: Turning Bacon Into Muscles

KingZora

tumblr_mee0hrdzw01qe1w6mo1_500.gif

Hey everyone! So after taking a break from the challenges last time I am back and ready to get my act together once again.  I spent the last six weeks taking things easy, as in I kept up my workout routine, ate some food (but didn't track anything) and pretty much just had a jolly good time.  Well now I am back to have a jolly good time while making progress!

Main Quest

Start taking bulking seriously!  I put a lot of effort into losing weight and for some reason just assumed that I would be able to bulk pretty easily.  Just go back to eating a bunch of food while lifting weights right?!?  Turns out it is harder than I thought...  Between not getting enough protein, overestimating how much I eat, not remembering to bring enough food to work so that I am miserably pounding down food at night, it's a tough life eating well and still getting enough calories.

Since most of my goals are about bulking, here are some stats to consider for my goals

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 170

Body Fat %: 12.5%

Goal 1: Stick to the macros, this means tracking tracking tracking.

Here is what I am thinking for my macros, based on eating about 3000cal/day (TDEE is about 2460) and using Lyle Mcdonald's suggestions (http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/macronutrient-intake-for-mass-gains-qa.html)

Protein: 220g (880cal)

Carbs: 170g (680cal)

Fat: 160g (1440cal)

This will be judged based on how many days I successfully hit, or get very close to my macro goals.

Goal 2:  Add weight to my lifts!

Here is what I want to get out of my lifts, these are all for the SL3x5 working sets...

Squats   220lb -> 250lb

Bench    135lb -> 160lb

BB Row  160lb -> 175lb (I've done 160, but it had somewhat sloppy form, this is going to progress somewhat slowly while I fix that)

OHP       90lb   -> 110lb

Deadlift  260lb -> 300lb

These might be ambitious... so please correct me if you think that, but I see these numbers and all I can think is that there is no reason I can't do it... so I'm gonna do my damnedest to get it done.

Goal 3:  Get back to sleeping well!

I got into a great sleep routine my first challenge here, and while it is still better than most, it isn't as good as it used to be.  I want to get back in the habit of getting to bed early enough so that I am up and active when it is time to get to the gym.  No more hitting the snooze button or staying up late watching It's Always Sunny.  Going to judge this based on the number of mornings where I get out of bed at the time I am supposed to without feeling like I need another hour sleep.

Life Quest

I am working on creating my own iOS app that I am really excited about.  My last challenge involved setting up the ground work for this, figuring out a name, starting design work, acquiring the tools I needed.  Then in my time off from the challenges I started reading and educating myself on the iOS architecture and refining some of the design that I have done.  For the month though I have been in the collecting underpants stage of the process though and that needs to stop!

Life Goal:  Dedicate 4 hours/week to working on my app, this can be all at once or spread out but I will dedicate at least that amount of time.  This isn't a lot because it is just a side project, I have a full time job programming and a lot of social change I want to make in my life, but I don't want this project to fall to the wayside.  4 hours/week will get me started, it will get some code into the computer and make things start to happen.  6 weeks from now, when I have put in a solid days worth of work (not much I know, but you can do some cool things with 24 hour of programming) I will have something I can look at and make a new decision about how much effort I want to put into this project.

I'll figure out points and stuff later...

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Bacon good.  IOS...not so good.

No? I really like my iPhone, there are a few reasons I picked that platform besides the fact that it is the one I own... even though that was a pretty good reason haha.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Grrr... so it's miserable and drizzling and a little cold out today but I say f-it... drive to work super early, park my car and walk over to the gym as I do every workout day.  I get to the gym and the first sign something is wrong is the construction going on next to the building... I figure it's no big deal since they are building a brand new Y right next to my current one (super excited!).  So I walk around that bit of construction... and then the path around the building is flooded!  No water is gonna stop me though, so I wade through the 4 inch deep puddle.  Walk around the corner get into the building and a guy comes walking down the hall to tell me that the gym is closed while they fix the broken water main outside...  worst. morning. ever.

So yah, no gym for me just yet... they said that they should be opening around 10, so I will either be going mid work day, or after work which is going to be a little strange... I really prefer to workout in the mornings.

Yesterdays Recap:

Protein: 192g (220g) -> Protein is tougher than expected... Need more steak with dinner

Carbs:  193g (170g) -> Free BBQ for lunch at work, couldn't pass up on the Mac salad, burgers, and dogs!

Fat:       166g (160g)  -> At least I got one of them right!  Not bad for the first day

Having a couple of warm up days for this challenge is kind of nice.

Well the water main is fixed and I made it back into the gym this morning!  Then immediately went back to bed, feeling miserable as I think I caught some kind of stomach bug this weekend...

Still managed to put up 220lb 3x5 for squats, so trying for 2 plates next go around for the first time ever!

I'm pretty sure turning bacon into muscle makes you some sort of warrior alchemist.  Good goals man!  

Well the water main is fixed and I made it back into the gym this morning!  Then immediately went back to bed, feeling miserable as I think I caught some kind of stomach bug this weekend...

Still managed to put up 220lb 3x5 for squats, so trying for 2 plates next go around for the first time ever!

That is not conducive to gaining muscle!  Get better soon!  

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

Feeling much better now, and back into the gym this morning... weights felt supah heavy but that could have something to do with being sick...

Tried to squat 2 plates for the first time today... as stated before it felt supah heavy and I made it through 3x3... I barely pushed the 3rd one up each time and just didn't want to push myself to the point of failure.  I tried for a 4th on the last one though... that was a big ole failure.

No surprises on the other two lifts at least, powered through those.

Bench 140 3x5

Row    145 3x5

Diet update for the first two days:

Monday: Protein 248(220)

Carbs   95(170)

Fat        191(160)

Calories: 3041

Tuesday: Protein 228(220)

Carbs   128(170)

Fat        163(160)

Calories: 2927

Sooo not the best at getting carbs and fat into the right proportions... that is gonna take some working on, but at least I am getting more than enough protein.

So I am sure I have workout stuff that I could be talking about...

But in better news, my building allows dogs now!!! I am going to get a dog :D  So my thread may soon be filled with adorable pictures of a rhodesian ridgeback puppy if I can find a good breeder or a place to adopt one.

So I am sure I have workout stuff that I could be talking about...

But in better news, my building allows dogs now!!! I am going to get a dog :D  So my thread may soon be filled with adorable pictures of a rhodesian ridgeback puppy if I can find a good breeder or a place to adopt one.

And now I'm looking at dogs.  Thanks... 

That's awesome though!  Can't wait to see pics! 

The path to Swolehalla is paved with a lot of Swolehate, and you won't get there without being Swole of Spirit too.

Race: Fiendish Blue Extension Cord

Class: Warrior
Links:  MFP  Battle Log  Current Challenge

There shall be plenty, I promise!  It may take me about a little while to get the funds together though.  If I go to a breeder it is not going to be cheap... they are a somewhat rarer breed, but I have wanted one for a few years now.

In the warrior world though, gym this morning went well(ish).

Second attempt at 225 for squats, made it 5, 4, 4. This time, much better than the 3,3,3 I struggled through on Wednesday. 

First attempt at 100lbs for OHP, went 4,3,2... that was a struggle and a half, but the last one I psyched myself out a bit and I think I could have pushed out another rep or two if I kept my head in the game.

Third attempt at 265 for deadlift, 3... just couldn't put up the last two... Deadlifts are such a struggle, I just don't enjoy them as much as the other lifts.  The guy at the Y came over to me after I was done and asked me to put the weight down with less banging though.  I told him no, there is no safe way for me to put this down as slowly as you'd like without injuring my back... he just walked away after that, luckily I was already done with the set so it wasn't an issue.

FutureChamps.jpg

Oh look a distraction :D  I might be a little excited...

Blahh... so short story is this entire challenge went out the window for the weekend.  Life has turned into a total struggle lately... my old landlord is continuing to be a complete pain even now that we moved out.  She is holding our security deposit and hasn't sent any letter informing us of the charges.  I called her and she spent a good 15 minutes berating me and accusing me of damages that were normal wear and tear that we tried to get her to fix, but that she had refused to call for a plumber, along with other issues in the basement due to flooding that had occurred again due to issues with her building.  Then further unexpected bills and other money issues and basically lots of stress, and associated poor decisions in what food I should be eating :(

Time to get back on the challenge train this week... I already missed going to the gym this morning due to a need for sleep, but I'll be playing basketball tonight and lifting tomorrow so I am not terribly worried about it...  Hopefully I can get things turned around without too much stress.

I see you are a Bruins Fan... So I tried to find an image of the Red Wings involving bacon...

Instead I found this...

74461_344672472300289_1106283026_n.jpg

As for your Land Lord... they are practically swine...

Make your own bacon...Butforrealdon'tdothatit'sillegal

LVL: 0 Berserker

"How can a strong person  be defeated except by someone who is stronger?" -Jesus

Current Challenge- http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/35121-first-nf-challange-not-my-first-rodeo/

Basketball game went really well!  Our team thoroughly dominated and with a win last night we are in 3rd place and moving onto the championship round next week!  We play our first game against the number 2 ranked team, and then the same night will be the championship game.  For a free agent team we have pulled things together really well.  I even managed to get my act together after a few weeks when I haven't played bball in almost 10 years.  Managed a whopping 5 points with a 3 in the middle of the 2nd half and then a quick tip in late in the game.  It was a nice way to turn a really shitty day around.

In other news, to once again make my really really shitty weekend turn into a much too happy week... I found a breeder with a puppy available!!! Her name is Quicksilver, and if I can work things out (aka get some help from my parents to afford her)... I may have her as soon as the 16th!  She is a pure bred Rhodesian, and while I wasn't planning it at first, she is of show quality so a bit more expensive and hence the need for parental help.  She has a beautiful ridge and so far appears very well tempered, her dad won best in show a few times, and competed at nationals while her mom is a champion lure courser so needless to say I am very excited.  It's a bit less notice than I originally wanted, but I guess you can't really argue with nature.

1964599.jpg?1374771525

Plus she is freaking adorable already!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines