• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OptimusPrimarch

OptimusPrimarch enters the DAAAAAANGERZOOONE

I've started doing "curtsy squats" and that has really helped strengthen my knee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNyR3SI1H3I

For one, it's kind of a hybrid of squats and lunges....so using different muscles around the knee to help strengthen. 

For me specifically, I have a problem compensating for my knee injury so my hip on the same side starts aching as well. I figured out it was because my IT band was super tight. The curtsy squats help stretch the IT band too. I'm not saying they are BETTER than regular squats, but definately beneficial to do IN ADDITION to normal squats. :)

Gotcha, will have to start doing some of those.

Did my pushups, finally a bit of progress but still not enough to progress to the next day.

Progress is progress though

Well, you do what you can to progress. One step at a time, one rep at a time. You totally got this.

So week 3 was good, my goals all feel attainable, not sure where I'm gonna end up with the pushups but I guess we'll see.

Water Goal 5/5  Still staying well ahead of this one, only bad days were Friday and yesterday where I had more coffee than anything else... overall though I'm still very on top of this goal.  Really noticed it in the Saturday Hapkido class, I was drenched in sweat after a relatively light workout.

Push ups, 3 sessions.  Progress isn't as strong as I'd like but I still have 3 weeks to get things in order.

Stretching:  1/1 Did a yoga session that was extremely draining but felt good.  Gonna aim to do it again this week.

Eh. Push ups are just like that. I found myself repeating that same week over and over again, and I got stronger, but it surely did take a while. It's not one of those things that gets better overnight, unfortunately. The only cure is a solid dose of hard work, which it looks like you're willing to put in. So! Let's keep moving.

Eh. Push ups are just like that. I found myself repeating that same week over and over again, and I got stronger, but it surely did take a while. It's not one of those things that gets better overnight, unfortunately. The only cure is a solid dose of hard work, which it looks like you're willing to put in. So! Let's keep moving.

I second this - the progression is slow, but it's getting there. The evidence is your form is getting better.

Nice job on the stretching! I still have yet to try yoga in any consistancy.

Still alive... just distracted by life.

Missed my Friday pushup session

Results from Monday:  18,22,16,11,11

Painful fall off again but it is just motivating me to get back to it.  

Water is still going well, I'm already almost locked in for a final result of A, reduction in the number of headaches has been the most notable change as a result of my water drinking.

The Grandmaster of my club is insisting that I get my knees looked at.... which improves the odds that I will do so dramatically.

Yeah, if the head Sadist at the Sadist Club is saying you need to stop being sadistic to your knees, then you really need to stop being sadistic to your knees. Take advantage of that socialized medicine up there and get yourself checked!

Yay for fewer headaches!!! :)

I noticed that too, actually. When I drink my water goal, I get less caffeine withdrawl headaches.

Lettuce know when you get a knee appt! We will keep pestering you!!! (only cuz we care....awwwwwww)

Mmmm, what do you feel when doing the push ups? Does your knee bother you while doing them?

Jem broke her personal best of push ups when in front of her classmates. Perhaps you could try a similar strategy to brute force your numbers. I know you are formidably strong, you only need something for that little push.

Let a medic see your knee. Perhaps a faster recovery will be attainable by learning some fact that eludes your for now. I hope for the best, OP.

So things have been quiet up in here because I've been away for the past week so I'll roll all my updates into one big mega recap!

My results wavered in the last week but despite traveling I still finished fairly strong all things considered.

Water: 34/30 A (+2 Wis, +2 Con, +1 STA

I'm really happy about this, I was not as strong last week because there was a big change to my routine which impacted things but despite that I'm still drinking more water in general which makes me happy.

Stretching:6/8 B (2.5 dex 1.5 cha)

my knee is stabalizing but it is stabalizing at about 70% effectiveness which is really hampering my kicks (which require 110% effectiveness)

Strength.  62/90 C (2 str .5 con)

36 pushups single set

92 max (across 5 sets)

I've improved here but I think I set my expectations WAY too high here.  Gonna average my two sets of results for a final value to grade on.

Final Grade: B

Well, it's hard to overdo on water, so it looks like you got it set up really well. Sorry to see that the push ups didn't go according to plan, but honestly, when do they ever? Calisthenics, I'm discovering, is a lot more fluid a discipline than weights. You just do the best you can with what you've got.

Looks like the Challenge cost you a knee. Better than taking an arrow to the knee, I guess, but you're still stuck at 70% or so. Guess your new challenge, then, will be to get that thing to heal.

Hey OP!

I'm glad your knee is stabalizing! Unfortunately, it takes a looooong time for a joing to heal. If it were muscle, that's another story. :(

Buuut, I still think you should have it looked at.

Great job on making gains on your push ups! Routine cahnges are SWESOME when they work out!

Hope to see you next challenge, Buddy! :D

Great work man! Give your knee the chance! It will be back to your prime!

Strength.  62/90 C (2 str .5 con)

36 pushups single set

92 max (across 5 sets)

I've improved here but I think I set my expectations WAY too high here.  Gonna average my two sets of results for a final value to grade on.

I´ve been filming my self recently and found a lot of mistakes in my push up technique. So I´m currently doing 31~35 push ups in good form in a single set instead of the 40+ I though I was doing. You totally bested me!! =D

Hope to see you in the next challenge man! And give 7FG my regards! =0

Very nice, OP.  Bummer that your knee is flaring up - monkish sympathy pains, perhaps?  But if it is still acting up, I second the idea that you might want it looked at (if I could only take my own advice that'd be great, haha).

But great job over all, even if you overshot the initial push-up goal.  Even then, you now have a new goal for next challenge, right?  Keep on keeping on.  See you next challenge!