NicoleCanoes - 60 days to MARATHON

NicoleCanoes

Um, well, now I need to come up with a story for my main quest. Big goal right now is working towards the Ironman which could be an Ironman theme but I'm not a big comic person, then I thought LOTR but working towards an Ironman is not the same sentiment as destroying the ring, it's more like the adventure in the hobbit but in the end Bilbo was more sneaky and manipulative than doing any actual fighting, I'm going to have to comb through my geekdom and find something good.

Now on to redefining some of my goals to fit the new structure

MainQuest - Ironman

Current Chapter - Run a marathon

Which the marathon is in the middle of the next challenge. I will be sticking to these goals until that day and skipping out of the second half of the next one. Extra points assigned for the longer challenge. And yes Monday is exactly 60 days away.

Objective 1 - Run a lot

Follow the schedule in the signature (STA 5)

This is starting to get scary, weekly mileage will hit 30 miles and long runs are getting to be over 3 hours. Looking up how many days left did more to frighten than sooth. Maybe it's just because the last couple weeks have been messed up due to travel and humidity. Seriously 90% humidity at 6am is not ok. Assigning this more points this go around to make sure I am fully prepared for a good time and not just a finish. 6 is completely doable, if I buckle down and focus sub-5 might happen.

Objective 2 - Eat Clean

No wheat (WIS 3)

In my n=1 experiments post whole30 I have discovered wheat to be the worst culprit; tastes good but makes me bloated and might also be aggravating my allergies. The healthier I eat the better I run, so strict no wheat until after the race, at which point I will have a beer and it will taste amazing.

Eat something leafy each week (CON 3)

Not my favorite but they are good for you. Again, need to stay healthy to run far and fast.

In general I will be following a modified whole30. White potatoes for carbs, honey for fuel on a run, chocolate milk after runs, and a 5% buffer for social situations. Probably will have some peanuts and corn.

Objective 3 - RICE

Electronics ban after 10pm (STR 3) The keyboard does not count as an electronic.

Ice legs after long runs (STA 3)

30 min daily egg timer of foam rolling (CON 3)

Mildly related life goal - Make fairy wings

The Halloween 5k is usually the first weekend in October and will be a perfect time to practice my Tinkerbell costume for the Dopey Challenge. Yes the race is over a year away but I have 4 costumes to make and give a trial run so I need to start now.

Also I will be doing the burpee challenge, because I hate myself.

Running goal - Dopey Challenge 2015

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Buckland Hobbit, Level 4 Scout

STR 10.25 | DEX 6 | STA 12.75 | CON 8 | WIS 9.75 | CHA 5.75

Great goals, I am glad to see you are focusing more on the Ironman thing, we are on the same path, although I will be tackling the marathon later than you. Best of luck, I am sure you can do this!

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

Goals look good.  Unsure what you mean the keyboard does not count as an electric though (computer keyboard or musical keyboard).

musical, I got a new book that should help me progress with left handed chords, which I find way harder than playing actual notes

Training to complete an Ironman by 2017. I can swim .5, bike 112, and run 26.2, separately.

Yes! Yes! Costumes! Iron man via Tinkerbell - that's quite a trajectory!

The rest sounds good too - some serious mileage plus a shed load of Burpees - well, rather you than me, but I'm impressed all the same!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Now I kind of really want to see Iron Tink (patent pending). The marathon is a difficult foe, as much a test of heart as it is of body. You've got tons of heart so it shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

All right, this weekend was adventure filled. Friday played volleyball, very sore arms, ball was slightly under inflated. Saturday ran 13 miles. First 8 miles were great, calmed down a lot about the marathon. Then I stopped at the running store for the group run to do another 6. They had Adidas to try on, which were horrible and I cut my run short and only did 4. Put my shoes back on and did some sprints in the parking lot. Needed some massive stretching. Sunday biked 50. Realized I haven't bike enough this summer and have lost all ability to power up the hills. The mileage was fine but some of the hills were awful. I have a massage scheduled for Friday.

Yes there will be pictures, some time in October.

30 min of foam rolling is an really long time to inflict pain. Ate some salad, had no creativity when at the grocery store. Any suggestions on good leafy green recipes? Also burpees suck.

30 minutes is a long time with a foam roller.  I can barely stand to do 5!

As for leafy greens, I like to tuck spinach into everything, omelets, smoothies, stuffed zucchini, etc.

I also like to make this stir-fry (super healthy, super good!):

olive oil

minced garlic

oregano

spinach (fresh or thawed frozen)

broccoli (fresh or thawed frozen)

diced tomato (fresh or canned)

salt and pepper optional

Saute garlic in oil, add broccoli first if fresh, then add remaining ingredients and cook until tender.  Eat!

I like simple spinach salads with fruit and nuts, too.  Strawberries and almonds, blueberries and coconut oil, or mandarin oranges and walnuts are my faves.

My fave recipe for romaine lettuce is lettuce (obviously), red onion, red grapes, bacon, chicken, and avocado.  Use with balsamic vinegar if you're into that.  I like mine plain.  Also chicken with craisins, mandarin oranges, and pecans is good over romaine.

Hope this gives some good ideas!

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

More burpees, more rolling, more salad, more running. I did watch the news last night after 10pm but I wanted to see the breaking story. One of the local gas stations had pure ethanol in their pumps because of some mix up with the trucks and I wanted to make sure it wasn't the one I went to.

woo hoo for burpees and OMG thats a really long time on the foam roller!

I love my tinkerbell outfit my mum made me and it brings me joy to hear about you making one.

Good luck with challenge - great looking goals both current and long term!

Traveling Scoutly inclined Druid

:pirate:   :kiwi-fruit:  :tyrannosaurus:  :kiwi-fruit:  :pirate:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.â€â€• Oscar Wilde

More burpees, more rolling, more salad, more running. (These updates might start to get repetitive.)  I got smart about the rolling and did 15 min this morning and will do the rest latter tonight. I might decrease the time later on but I was still working out knots for the full 30 mins last night. What google image calls the gastrocnemius caput laterale (sounds like a harry potter spell) is really tight on both calves. And both IT bands. And my lower back. So yeah more rolling.

More salad, some rolling and some burpees, no running. Went out with friends last night and got home late so I didn't complete the rest of the rolling. On a positive note we went to a Thai place so there was no gluten and a fairly healthy meal until dessert which was strawberries with a Baily's sauce. Which if we weren't in a restaurant I would have licked the bowl.

Friday I went and got a massage and there were some painful moments but I felt pretty good afterwards. Saturday I ran 16 miles. The first 10 were at race pace and were good. Then I started getting really tired and my legs hurt. The next 2 miles were ok but the last 4 I mostly walked. Took an ice bath when I got home and felt great again. Went to the farmers market (BLUEBERRIES ARE DELICIOUS) and then sat by the pool and read a book. Sunday was horrible, I basically did not get out of bed until I went to pick up dinner. I think it was dehydration and lack of salt. I started my run 2 hours later than planned on Saturday morning because of rain and ended up so hot and sweaty that I actually ringed out my clothes when I got home. Plus you're supposed to drink more water after a massage to help the muscles recover. I perked up some after dinner on Sunday so I'm just going to down a bunch of water today and see how it goes.

Looks like a good run but the aftermath looked bad.  Hope you got hydrated/salted and whatever else to get back to normal.

I agree with phoenix burning on the race pace for long distance, unless you meant marathon race pace :)

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

So when you are on the roller for 15/30 minutes.  Are rolling a lot of different areas?  when I use my roller, I usually am only focusing on one area at a time and roll for 1 to 2 minutes on that area.

i usually need a good 5 mins on each spot to really release any tension. for my hips, my massage person said to roll into the tight spot and then just rest there for a couple minutes then repeat. calves is a roll for a min then roll the side for a min then back to the middle then the inside then back to the middle

Last week started ok and then progressively got worse where one not great decision led to a bad decision which led to a worse decision. Example, blueberries for breakfast led to a sugar crash during the day led to fast food for a quick recovery led to chocolate for another recovery led to awake at 11pm and playing on my phone led to a bad nights sleep. Example 2, Tuesdays run resulted in some knee pain so I skipped the burpees, which resulted in also skipping the foam rolling, which feeling crappy led to chocolate. Torrential down pour led to more chocolate. My birthday led to more chocolate.

On the bright side, I made galumpkis and iced my legs. I got the template made for the tinkerbell wings.

Lessons learned - I can't eat a container of berries for breakfast and lunch, it's just too much sugar. I also can't eat a salad for lunch, it's not enough calories on days that I run. Leafy greens and fruit are now limited to a small side dish. I need to maintain a good amount of easy quick food to limit the fast food temptation. I got a couple bags of frozen veggies, a jar of peanuts, and raisins for better "I need energy now" snacks. Running to the store 3 times last week for different projects resulted in 3 purchases of junky treats. I need to eat dinner before going to the store so I'm not hungry and purchase bad things. No more chocolate after dinner.

I've got good food in the house. The foam roller is sitting in the middle of the hallway so I will see it every day as a reminder to use it. I've got KT tape for my knee so hopefully will get some quality runs in.

It's one of those things where I used to eat a tub of berries all the time but post whole30 it's too much sugar. I'm still struggling with eating enough calories post run.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines