Full Metal Penguins - 1st Timers

Hey Proof!

Welcome to the group. There seems to be quite a surprising number of Germans on this site. I've been trying to learn a bit and you saying you're from Hamburg reminded me of a drill I was learning. I think it was, "Ich bin Hamburg" xD if that's right. But I guess if I was saying it, it would be "Du bist Hamburg" is that right? :D Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and maybe I can test out some of my German on you. And yes, get out. Oh God, if I lived in Hamburg I'd be roaming the streets all day long!

And speaking of Paleo, I'd just like to chime in and say it doesn't need to be expensive. In fact, I've found quite the opposite. I actually spend way less than I did on milk, bread, cereal, pancake mix, and all that stuff. Now, disclaimer: I am a VERY unpicky eater. If I like something, I can eat it every day till rapture. And I found buying a bunch of chicken breasts, cutting them in half, chopping them up and individually freezing the servings. Then I defrost one every day and throw it in the wok with a bag of frozen veggies, a little gluten-free soy sauce, some chili pepper flakes, and a bit of cooking wine. Köstliche! (I cheated with Google on that one.)

So a week of chicken is like ~ $8. and bags of frozen veggies are like.... $2 each, so thats $10 plus 8, like $20 a week. But that doesn't include breakfast. A dozen and a half of eggs ~ $3, fresh fruit ~ $3, unfortunately I cannot speak on lunch because my Momma has been super supportive of my diet and has been cooking me chicken and fish every day for weeks now during my lunch break. I'm so spoiled :3 That's just me though. I'm single and easy to please. Just saying, paleo can be as expensive as you want it to be.

As for breakfast, I've always prided myself on being a good breakfast cook. I can cook eggs any way you can imagine and my egg peeling skills on boiled eggs are unmatched. I challenge anyone to an egg cook-off! That said, my normal thing is scrambled eggs (usually 2 whole and 4 whites) and turkey bacon. Sometimes I switch it up with a little sausage. Sometimes the smell gets to me a bit so I switch to boiled.

But if you want something kinda fancy, scramble up an omelet sans the cheese. Onions, tomatos, jalapenos, woops my Mexican is showing, mushrooms, maybe a dash of coconut milk as a cheese substitute, oh so creamy. Or some scrambled eggs and fresh spinach that wilts and has such a wonderful texture! And always with plenty of fruit. usually some canned pineapple (I hate cutting up the real stuff) and two bananas. Fruit is where I get the majority of my calories.

That omelet sounds tasty. I must do this, but with green chilis instead of jalapeños, because I can't take that kind of heat most days. Oh, and some salsa picante. I mean, most of the salsa ingredients are already accounted for, but...salsa!

Level 1 Draenei N00b

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge | Group: Full Metal Penguins

Favor the road traveled by few.

Hi Mortikar,

of course you can try out your German on me. Try translating it literally "You're from Hamburg" -> "Du bist aus Hamburg".

One of my goals is to prepare every lunch at home. As for breakfast, I got used to doing a banana pancake after running: mix one banana and one egg. There you go. Frozen green beans with some butter make a nice dinner, which I could eat every day. I will usually take lunch to work and only put it through the microwave. I'm still thinking about what to do for lunch, but I don't think I'll go paleo. I just want to experiment. This is much of a learning experience. I.e. I want to toy around with a pizza recipe and exercise portion control as well as changing the ingredients to be more friedly to the body. I did this last weekend and it actually fit into my calorie goals.

I did a diet that consisted mainly of protein and fat last year. Success was fast and large, but I gained it all back after starting to eat "normal" again.

Yeti Adventurer - Level 2

Challenges: 1 2

Ah, man. I miss Texas. Peppers will definitely be all over my food every day. :3

Riskva

Level 1 Wild-Elf (wannabe) Rebel, training to find my guild in the Rebellion. 

STR - | DEX - | STA - | CON - | WIS - | CHA - 

Wanderlust and Fitness from Cairo to Seattle - FIRST CHALLENGE

Full Metal Penquins - My super cool accountabilibuddies

"We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect. "

Oh yeah, high protien low carb diets work because of Ketosis. It can work if you slowly phase in carbs again but only healthy ones, nuts and fruits and such. If you go back to processed your body does some crazy stuff. I read this paper on the science of what happens to you but most of it went over my head.

Every diet "works" so a certain extent. The ones that seem more grounded and indeed with slower results tend to be the more legit ones. The fact is, if you stick to anything you'll see results. What matters is finding the thing that you WILL stick with. I've tried quite a few things that leave me starving all day long until I go a week and stuff myself on Chinese buffet until I can't move. People cannot keep it up while being constantly hungry.

Counting calories worked for me a bit, but I started stressing over it too much and when I would forget, I'd use it as an excuse to stop. "Well, I didn't count yesterday, i guess I failed, let's order a pizza!" But I can see how being so diligent can help some people. My mom did this STUPID diet one time where you eat like a listerine strip (that they probably sold at a rediculous price) and can't eat more than 300 calories. That is quite literally killing yourself. I'm glad she stopped.

So whatever works, as long as it's healthy!

Riskva. I'm actually not in Texas anymore :( I'm in New Mexico, but fortunately it's the green chile capitol of the world! In the fall, we get massive shipments of Hatch chiles and every grocery store in town is roasting them in these HUGE black tumblers. The entire town smells of roasting chile for a month. The #1 favorite thing about this place!

Because I grew up in New Mexico, I still order pizza with green chiles, put chiles in my pasta, and just about any other food that I can get away with putting them into. I once had green chile jelly that I picked up from a shop outside Cloudcroft. It was amazing.

Level 1 Draenei N00b

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge | Group: Full Metal Penguins

Favor the road traveled by few.

Nice! Fellow spicy food lovers.

I love anything. Red peppers, green peppers, jalepenos, habaneros, etc...

That combined with the Cajun side makes for some awesome cooking ideas. I've been trying to use paleo as a challenge. How can I make cajun food paleo friendly? It's been easier than I thought.

Riskva

"We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect. "

What's up Penguins?  I'm not gonna lie, I was immediately drawn to the name.  Woo penguins!!!

In summary, I used to be in good shape.  I played football and swam in high school, and lifted and ran a lot in college.  Then I graduated, got a job, and became a lazy, junk food munching slob.  Now it's time to reverse that.

I'm stoked for the challenge.  Any exercise attempt that I made in the past few years failed because it lacked structure and I had no lasting motivation.

Having a forum of fitness minded nerds is awesome for motivation and support.  If you couldn't tell from my avatar, I'm a huge RPG fan, so I'm digging the level up system.  It's a cool way to track progress.

I'm looking forward to stepping out onto the first leg of this adventure with you guys!

Welcome AJSweet!

And definitely love the av!

Riskva

Hey,welcome everyone!!

I took 2 years of German in university (it's one of my 2 minors :X), so I can speak it pretty well! So it's exciting for me to have you in the group, Proof! :)

I think I'm going to try eating clean for a while, before i think about jumping into paleo, so I'll be interested in some of those recipes.

If it ends up going well I'd love to make a little "The Paleo Cajun" thread or something. I'll use the Penguins as a test group. ;)

Riskva

Peppers! <3

Mort, that omelette sounds really good. I will have to give it a try. Also I'm going to have to try those banana pancakes. Yum! 

I did the counting calories thing for a while, and it worked really well for me as a way to start paying attention to what I was eating. It was a real eye opener in terms of which foods are more calorie dense and which aren't, and taught me how to eat in a way that I could feel full, but still not go crazy on calories. After a while it got to be a nuisance, though. Funny thing about counting calories: it's actually a lot easier to do when you eat processed foods, and harder to do when you cook your own meals. The last two months I was counting, I did it really half-heartedly. I'd maybe track every other day, or skip 3 days in a row even.

So, that's one of the many reasons I love Paleo. Over time, I may eventually add back things like beans, and a little more dairy (I love cheese. Love.) and probably some whole grains, but not too much. I have a feeling after a couple months of this I'm going to find it uncomfortable to start eating gluten again. I hope it won't make me too sick, though, because I also love beer and would be sad if I could never had beer again without spending the next day in the bathroom. 

Level 2 Hobbit Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Current ChallengeFirst Challenge

Hi All!

I am a NF reader from Europe, French living in Belgium!

My story is similar to yours : I am here to be healthier! For me it is : dropping body fat, be stronger and above all : eat healthier! Thing is, it's not going as quickly as I want (I am a very impatient person!).

What I could bring to the group? Support, smiles (you have to imagine those), coaching!

I'll read you guys from time to time!

Best luck to you all!

Level 2- Panthera Assassin

CHA 4 - WIS 3 - STA 4 - STR 2 -  DEX 1 - CON 2

Why is Natarella here?

Steps to greatness

First challenge !!

Second not-so-good one ..

Third challenge

Jan 2016 challenge... long time after :)

That's what makes me a little wary about going full Paleo. I was a vegetarian for 7-1/2 years, and when I started eating meat again, it made me feel so sick. I couldn't eat more than an ounce without getting all the symptoms of food poisoning. I want to be able to eat pretty much anything I need to without feeling super sick. But, of course, I'll choose healthy over non healthy when I can, and will definitely try a bunch of Paleo things. :)

Is it common for people to go 100% paleo for extended periods? I've seen 80/20 a lot, what do you paleo folks here do?

Hey Riska, Elu, & all :)

The site that got me into Paleo was www.thepaleomom.com. She has a good database of recipes, especially for baking (I love to bake) and she's the author of the AIP diet which is what I'm following - except that I do eat nuts and eggs (not allowed/recommended on the AIP diet). And I am about 95% Paleo...the last little bit would be the nasty gluten that sneaks in with salad dressing - something I plan to eliminate by making my own.

Breakfast is one of the toughest meals for me too as I need my morning carbs or I don't function. Prior to the changing diets, I would eat a breakfast sandwich on the go, a muffin, or even a donut. Anything to keep my blood sugar from dipping before lunch. But when I started Paleo, I found that to be difficult and for about the first week I was irritable and hungry until lunch.

One of the very first things I did do was make a huge batch of Paleo granola. I followed the recipe but used raw walnuts, almonds, and pepitas and chopped them up in my processor until I got a texture that I liked. In all, it takes about 45 minutes to make and it lasted me for about 2 weeks. It made a great snack inbetween meals, worked as cereal in the morning (by adding coconut milk and an extra drop of honey), and all kinds of combinations.

Omelets are awesome in the morning! Usually I have leftover meat and veggies from the night before, and the easiest way to make a meal out of it is to add two eggs and fry it up. My favorite combo is broccoli and bacon (I loooooove bacon) or just spinach (Mort - I haven't tried adding coconut milk yet, but I might try that tomorrow). Before my food allergies got to be too severe, my favorite thing to do was whip up some eggs with homemade salsa and jalapenos (omg - I miss jalapenos soooo much). So you can do almost anything with eggs :)

Whatever I choose to eat, I make sure to include fruit. I do have to be careful because consuming a whole watermelon on my own is quite possible, so I try to limit my serving. Otherwise I will pig out and negate any benefit of eating healthy :tongue:

I also make breakfast muffins  ("Paleo friendly" because they do require baking soda). The original recipe came from this site, but I chose to modify it by leaving out the glaze (they don't need them) and using any kind of berries/fruit that I have available. The only issue is that these little muffins are soooo good that you do have to limit yourself or you'll eat them all :)

If you want to get serious about baking on the Paleo diet, it's good to make sure you have almond flour and or coconut flour on hand (I prefer coconut). It works well to make pancakes, breads, muffins, and pizza crusts with - although you do need to be careful about going overboard.

Hey Mort - maybe we can make room in the original post so that we can compile a list of links to recipes and food resources? I have a ton of links, they just need to be organized :)

Aero Rin

Level 0 Druid (Race Pending)

{ STR - | DEX - | STA - | WIS - | CON - | CHA - }

Challenge | FMP | Battle Log 

That's what makes me a little wary about going full Paleo. I was a vegetarian for 7-1/2 years, and when I started eating meat again, it made me feel so sick. I couldn't eat more than an ounce without getting all the symptoms of food poisoning. I want to be able to eat pretty much anything I need to without feeling super sick. But, of course, I'll choose healthy over non healthy when I can, and will definitely try a bunch of Paleo things. :)

Is it common for people to go 100% paleo for extended periods? I've seen 80/20 a lot, what do you paleo folks here do?

Have you looked into going vegan?

Some of the best Paleo recipes are also vegan and/or raw :)

Aero Rin

Hi guys,

I'm Proof and when I don't save the world I'm a sysadmin/programmer in the second largest German city (Hamburg). I'm starting the 8th week of couch to 5k tomorrow. I'm really into reading and all things technical. I usually enjoy diving into some new tools on the weekend which puts me into a dilemma, whether I want to cook, clean or just sit in front of the computer. There's so much interesting stuff to do.

Regards, Proof

Welcome Proof! Glad to have you here :D

Aero Rin

aerorin I would love the resources you have on paleo. If you have a chance could you post those? Here or in my challenge thread or PM. Whatever works for you. :)

I'm going to work on compiling a list of recipes & sources this weekend :)

Aero Rin

What's up Penguins?  I'm not gonna lie, I was immediately drawn to the name.  Woo penguins!!!

In summary, I used to be in good shape.  I played football and swam in high school, and lifted and ran a lot in college.  Then I graduated, got a job, and became a lazy, junk food munching slob.  Now it's time to reverse that.

I'm stoked for the challenge.  Any exercise attempt that I made in the past few years failed because it lacked structure and I had no lasting motivation.

Having a forum of fitness minded nerds is awesome for motivation and support.  If you couldn't tell from my avatar, I'm a huge RPG fan, so I'm digging the level up system.  It's a cool way to track progress.

I'm looking forward to stepping out onto the first leg of this adventure with you guys!

Welcome AJ! It's awesome to have you here :)

Aero Rin

I'm usually pretty good at having paleo lunches and dinners, but I love my eggs for breakfast and I've never been able to have eggs without bread. A plate of eggs and no bread just makes me sad. I also eat beans or lentils at least once or twice a week which isn't technically paleo either. I don't mind being kind of paleo lite, I kind of see every dinner as a bit of a challenge to either make paleo or not, but if it's not I don't really care. I used to eat brown rice every night so the biggest difference for me was cutting that out, my body definitely runs a lot better. 

Birdwing, I'd be interested to know how you go, love to see any recipes or anything you find! I've never been vegetarian but before going semi paleo I certainly ate significantly less meat and I wouldn't mind cutting back quite a bit. 

Mortikar, that omelette sounds wicked. I'm kicking myself because I've never thought to add coconut milk to my omelettes. I will now!

Hi Genevieve and welcome! I'm sorry that I overlooked your first post.

The best replacement that I've found for rice is cauliflower. This recipe turned out well for me, although I found that I liked to steam the cauliflower a bit and used a lot of garlic to season. End result looks and tastes like couscous.

Aero Rin

Oh gosh, I couldn't do vegan. I live in a tiny tiny podunk town that barely carries vegetarian staples (I had to ask them to start selling tofu, to give you an idea).

I'm not into restriction so much right off the bat...I'll be the weirdo that just eats clean, aka the half ass paleo.I know I'll stick with that.

My Paleo is a bit half-ass, too. I still eat dairy, and I don't fret if I have a handful of popcorn or some tortilla chips or a bite of my husband's ice cream on occasion. I try not to "slip up" more than a couple times a week, though. 

For the 80/20 thing, I dunno what my break down would be. My weekday breakfasts are not Paleo, because I have the cottage cheese, and sometimes I have a rice cake (they are gluten free, though). Lunches and dinners are pretty much full Paleo, except for the occasional slip ups I mentioned above. I tend to take these things more as suggestions than rules, anyway, so if I end up eating a corn tortilla or half a beer, I don't worry about it, again, so long as it's not happening all the time. 

Level 2 Hobbit Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Current ChallengeFirst Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines