Full Metal Penguins - 1st Timers

Hey, late joiner here....

Looks like an awesome group of people.

This is my first challenge and I am totally pumped to get going.

Going to start lifting weights again after years.

Just turned 34 a few days ago and definitely don't want to be in my 60's and looking like I am 90....

Hobbit Adventurer

Good morning everyone!

I just joined your group. Of all the descriptions I found, you guys sounded like the best fit. I'm participating in my very first challenge, so I'm in the newb group. My entry to the 6 week challenge is included in my signature.

A little about me. 37 year old female, self described geek/nerd, have an interest in various topics, love sci-fi and fantasy, love reading (though I can't seem to unscramble my mind long enough to read as much as I used to) currently working for a non-profit that serves the elderly population in my community. Big important things in my life include supporting others, being positive, positive nurturing environments, and chocolate.

I'm still getting my bearings on how these challenges work, and I suspect I'm doing it all wrong. But, I'm focusing on my stated goals, and reading up on health and fitness as much as possible. My reason for doing this is simply to aid me in my ultimate goal of staying out of the wheelchair my orthopedic surgeon predicted I'd be in by age 40. I'm currently 37, have already dropped about 84, 85 lbs on my own (it fluctuates), felt good enough to begin the gym again about a month ago so I've been doing that nearly on the daily, and have recently begun strength training under my guy's guidance and training. I feel I'm on my way, and find success much easier to attain when surrounded by like-minded folks. So thank you for this group.

Plus, tuxedos are smashing.

Xeph Ranger

Misu gets good at getting out of fire - My very first challenge!

Full Metal Penguins - Because I need backup

Battle Log - Proof I can dodge walls of fire

"What happens to you doesn't define you - how you react does."

Welcome everyone!

And I hope everyone has started off their first day right!

Riskva

Level 1 Wild-Elf (wannabe) Rebel, training to find my guild in the Rebellion. 

STR - | DEX - | STA - | CON - | WIS - | CHA - 

Wanderlust and Fitness from Cairo to Seattle - FIRST CHALLENGE

Full Metal Penquins - My super cool accountabilibuddies

"We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect. "

Recently I switched from using store-bought salad dressing to making my own.

Gym tomorrow! Everyone ready??

I can highly recommend olive oil with fresh ground pepper and some lemon juice. (Freshly squeezed or from the bottle). Tastes very nicely on tuna salad. :D

Also sparkling water with half a lemon in there keeps the Coke and Sprite craving away.

Also, welcome everyone who is new... I myself am, to be honest. I finally realized how to properly sign up for the rosters. :D

The day hasn't started too great for myself. I actually wanted to get up at 5am, but then I was too tired to get up, so I pushed the workout back to after work, which is NOW. Is that bad? I hope it's not too bad! :(

Health is more than the absence of sickness!

You can do it, gnometosser! Just think about how great you will feel when you're finished!

Riskva

"We are always more afraid than we wish to be, but we can always be braver than we expect. "

E,

I'm glad the coconut milk eggs worked out. Honestly I'd never tried it before xD but I tried it as a substitute for asadero in my squash, burger meat, and green chile stew. Not QUITE the same, but creamy none the less.

Welcome to all the new people. I think I got you all except for Greenman. I need you to fill out a challenge so I can link you and so we can learn a bit about you.

I hear ya, gnome. My day didn't get off to a great start. I found I gained a couple pounds back after a little binge this weekend. But that's behind me now. Time to move on. Fortunately, I have a very naggy white labrador mix who doesn't let me get away with not taking him for workouts. I couldn't do it without him.

Fortunately, I have a very naggy white labrador mix who doesn't let me get away with not taking him for workouts. I couldn't do it without him.

Speaking of friends (even dogs :D ) does everyone have their Jedi Council or support group?

Riskva

I also wanted to mention, totally seperate from this site. If anyone has Steam and needs a gaming buddy, message me for my tag. Me and Rin are looking for two more people to play Magicka with, and I have been wanting to check out Farcry 3's multiplayer. I love all kinds of co-ops. Also looking for Orcs Must Die! 2, and Trine 1 or 2, or Portal 2 :D, oh and I recently got Borderlands 2.

By Jedi Council do you mean IRL people to help us through? I've always kept things to myself in that respect. I don't like to call attention to my life to people willy nilly. I had to get rid of my roommate who is also a co-worker because he'd tell people at work about girls I brought over or partys I had. haha. But that said, my mom has also been instrumental in my success so far. My dad and I go to their house for lunch ever day and when I told her I was doing Paleo, I simply said "let me know when you make enchiladas or something and I just won't come over." Instead, she took it upon herself to switch lunch to all paleo-friendly and has made some amazing meals and learned new recipies just for me <3. When I went on vacation they had themselves a little mexican feast though, but that's okay!

I also wanted to mention, totally seperate from this site. If anyone has Steam and needs a gaming buddy, message me for my tag. Me and Rin are looking for two more people to play Magicka with, and I have been wanting to check out Farcry 3's multiplayer. I love all kinds of co-ops. Also looking for Orcs Must Die! 2, and Trine 1 or 2, or Portal 2 :D, oh and I recently got Borderlands 2.

By Jedi Council do you mean IRL people to help us through? I've always kept things to myself in that respect. I don't like to call attention to my life to people willy nilly. I had to get rid of my roommate who is also a co-worker because he'd tell people at work about girls I brought over or partys I had. haha. But that said, my mom has also been instrumental in my success so far. My dad and I go to their house for lunch ever day and when I told her I was doing Paleo, I simply said "let me know when you make enchiladas or something and I just won't come over." Instead, she took it upon herself to switch lunch to all paleo-friendly and has made some amazing meals and learned new recipies just for me <3. When I went on vacation they had themselves a little mexican feast though, but that's okay!

I haven't gamed in so long. :( I plan to once I get settled in here. We can trade handles once that happens.

As for whether I meant IRL friends or not I look at one of Steve's articles, though he's written more than one on the subject. I think IRL support (even if it is "way to go!") is very helpful but some people do prefer the message boards, which is fine too. You guys will be seeing a ton more of the gritty details of my journey compared to people I know in person.

Aww! I love dogs.  One of my motivations (which I left off of my plan) is to be able to RUN so I can get a Husky.  I want one just like this: http://www.bestakcpups.com/heart.htm

YES HUSKYS <3

Riskva

E,

I'm glad the coconut milk eggs worked out. Honestly I'd never tried it before xD but I tried it as a substitute for asadero in my squash, burger meat, and green chile stew. Not QUITE the same, but creamy none the less.

Welcome to all the new people. I think I got you all except for Greenman. I need you to fill out a challenge so I can link you and so we can learn a bit about you.

I hear ya, gnome. My day didn't get off to a great start. I found I gained a couple pounds back after a little binge this weekend. But that's behind me now. Time to move on. Fortunately, I have a very naggy white labrador mix who doesn't let me get away with not taking him for workouts. I couldn't do it without him.

Awesome! We had a labrador/retriever/belgian shepherd mix and a full golden retriever. They were adorable. But due to financial problems and my father's and stepmom's breakup the golden retriever was given away and she kept the other dog... :( They were so adorable: 228628_1004815520549_3074_n.jpg

Maybe at some point in my life with a job and all I can get a dog again. Maybe. :)

Borderlands 2 is great! We should think about getting a sort of NerdFitness Gaming community going, who game every so often. :)

Also considering the motivation, it is great that your parents support you like that. My dad is just like: My wife makes me do weightwatchers, so I can eat what I want, only less. And okay. He should do what he likes. Myself I like this new diet. I am currently enjoying Lemon Sparkly water (real lemon) and Avocado chicken with red pepper and tomato. :D

Also a little lack of discipline ... everyone has them. I am trying to GAIN weight and sometimes I just don't eat 3 full meals a day. But thats THAT day. Aim for the next day to be better, right? (Today I did eat alot)

Health is more than the absence of sickness!

Ah, Steam. Bane of my bank account. If I could be ripped from World of Warcraft long enough, I have a fairly decent library of games available on there. However, with Tales of Xillia coming out soon, I probably won't be doing much on the PC for a couple of weeks.

Level 1 Draenei N00b

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Challenge | Group: Full Metal Penguins

Favor the road traveled by few.

I've been look to get into an MMO again but nothing has perked my interest.

Riskva

Yeah for me its all about the community. I never found that with WoW but stuck with FF11 for years because of it.

Riskva

I played FFXI up until a little after the fouth expansion came out.  I only stuck with it because of my linkshell and IRL best friend.  I never checked my time playing because I never wanted to know.  Apparently the game got a whole lot better after I left.

Holy explosion of people Batman! Welcome everyone. Did we all pre-prep our meals for this week yesterday? It's gym time in 45 minutes!

I pre-prepped a bowl full of hard boiled eggs and three chicken breasts for the first half of the week.  I'll probably break open the ground beef on Wednesday and make some patties.

Holy explosion of people Batman! Welcome everyone. Did we all pre-prep our meals for this week yesterday? It's gym time in 45 minutes!

I have bought the food (ZUCHINNIS nom) and prepared a couple of chicken breasts but not as much as I wanted.

It ended up working out though because I'm going to Vancouver on Thursday for a conference (surprise sidequest!).

I played FFXI up until a little after the fouth expansion came out.  I only stuck with it because of my linkshell and IRL best friend.  I never checked my time playing because I never wanted to know.  Apparently the game got a whole lot better after I left.

I pre-prepped a bowl full of hard boiled eggs and three chicken breasts for the first half of the week.  I'll probably break open the ground beef on Wednesday and make some patties.

Yeah I played since the start up until after the third expansion. It got better but the community kept shrinking. After my LS broke up I left. Fun times though. WHM forever. :)

Riskva

I successfully evaded the giant muffins placed in front of my nose earlier today, and in about an hour, I'm heading to the gym to get my workout in for the day.   So far, day 1 on my newbie challenge is going excellent. I've kept up with my food plan (granted, its super easy - I couldn't possibly mess up protein shakes unless I accidentally dumped a jar of peanut butter in there), and I'm working on my water intake. 1 17oz bottle down so far (yes yes, for the whole day, I know. Pathetic. I'm trying)  I will def get more in at the gym.

My support group is actually quite small, and I have a couple of frenemies all up in there, but they only serve to motivate me more. Many don't believe I can do this, despite the fact this is an ongoing thing, and I've already lost roughly 84 - 85 lbs over the course of just under 3 years, so I really am kind of an a-hole when it comes to proving to people they're wrong :)

Xeph Ranger

About gaming:

Yeah I played WoW for quite a while. A manager while I was working in college kinda coerced me. I met some really great friends and although we don't really play anymore, we still all get together. We'll be playing some VTT Pathfinder soon, so we can finally get all together on Skype again! I never played any FF games, but maybe I should check a couple out one day. All I've been exposed to is the Advent Children movie :P My first MMO was Ragnarok Online which was basically a glorified chat room. Completely community based for me. And I still talk to a person from there as well! That was like... 10 years ago. I really don't play anything anymore. Ever since I got my dog. At first I had to watch him closely so he wouldn't pee on anything. And eventually I just got used to not getting on my desktop. Plus, like I said, I've been fostering a local gaming community and reading new RPGs takes a lot of time.

Misugrrl:

Grats on the avoidance! Are you doing meal replacement shakes? I tried herbalife and man, I need some solid foods or I get cranky haha.

Need advice:

So I'm a very easy guy to please. I can eat the same meal every day as long as I enjoy it, it's easy to make, and relatively cheap to shop for. I've been having slight variations of chicken stir fry using a bag of frozen veggies, a bit of soy sauce, and mixing it up with other random ingredients for a bit of variety. Now, I think I'm burnt out on it after 7 weeks. Does anyone have suggestions for another super easy dish? I prefer chicken as it tends to be the easiest to cook (besides fish, which I can't have every day). I'm thinking I'll switch to squash for a while. I love squash :3 such an awesome texture and gets you full with how watery they are! I don't want to look at another water chesnut though x.x

Anyway, just if anyone has tips for a bachelor, doesn't need to be fancy.

ALL the posts! Welcome to all the new people. Our group is awesome!

The rules were what you had, Mortikar, then they changed to where everyone started with 0, and then "leveled up" with all the points they earned in the first challenge, plus 15 points from level 1... buuut...now they changed it again. http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/33334-real-life-role-playing-stat-points-and-levelling-up/

Yeah, this is weird. I'm still trying to decide if I want to care about the new plan, or just assign my stats at the end of this challenge. SO CONFUSING AHHHH!

I can highly recommend olive oil with fresh ground pepper and some lemon juice. (Freshly squeezed or from the bottle). Tastes very nicely on tuna salad. :D
Also sparkling water with half a lemon in there keeps the Coke and Sprite craving away.

Also, welcome everyone who is new... I myself am, to be honest. I finally realized how to properly sign up for the rosters. :D

The day hasn't started too great for myself. I actually wanted to get up at 5am, but then I was too tired to get up, so I pushed the workout back to after work, which is NOW. Is that bad? I hope it's not too bad! :(

Nah, don't beat yourself up about it, man. It happened and it's over and now you can work out. Don't fret the little things. Seriously. 

Aww! I love dogs.  One of my motivations (which I left off of my plan) is to be able to RUN so I can get a Husky.  I want one just like this: http://www.bestakcpups.com/heart.htm

PUPPIES! Love Huskies (I am, after all, a Husky -- University of Washington alum. :D)

Ah, Steam. Bane of my bank account. If I could be ripped from World of Warcraft long enough, I have a fairly decent library of games available on there. However, with Tales of Xillia coming out soon, I probably won't be doing much on the PC for a couple of weeks.

I'm on Steam, and actually been spending a little more time than usual on there. I honestly cannot remember my username right now, though, so I'll get back to you on that. I've been vaguely interested in Magika, actually. 

But, speaking of games and WoW, I recently quit WoW after almost 7 years. I've played pretty religiously almost that whole time, but this spring I started taking a class, on top of two jobs, and even a 2 night a week raiding schedule became too much for me. I started getting really burnt out, and only logged in for raids and really resented that I had to. At the start of July, I told my guild I was done, and would stick around only til they found a replacement. I haven't logged in for over a month, and my sub ends on Aug 6th. My guild has been awesome, and I've been with them for almost 4 years now. But I had to call it quits. I love all the free time I have now, though.

Anyway, I also wanted to say, I went a little crazy yesterday and we ordered a pizza! ACK! It's been at least 4 months since I've had pizza. It was a pretty healthy one, as far as pizzas go. From a local shop that doesn't make them very greasy, and it had a ton of veggies on it. But still, it was pizza. And my stomach was like, "omg wut r u doin? whyyyyyyy?" And I gotta say...

tumblr_m4q8dhkmpy1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Now that that's out of my system, let's do this!

Level 2 Hobbit Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3 | CHA 2

Current ChallengeFirst Challenge

Hey everyone! Just got my walking in, and I made an awesome salad for lunch. I'm still mixing in the rest of the "non-clean" food that I have. But I'm going on a shopping trip tomorrow, and I think I'm going to try eating mostly Paleo (clean if not). It had me scared that I wouldn't be able to find anything to eat, but the more I'm reading on it, the more I'm like "I like that anyway!!" Like cashews over peanuts. Homemade spinach dip, dipping cucumbers in it instead of chips or crackers. Yeah, I can do that. Omelets, yeah. Salads. Sounds good actually.

I'm trying to avoid gaming, mostly...I was dating a guy for about a year, and we had a bothersome breakup about a week ago. :/ He was a video game and movie addict (and I'm using that correctly)...every spare minute of his time, basically, was devoted to getting achievements or watching new movies, and every extra dollar he had went into new games or movies. We lived together for about 5 months, and at the end of that, he still hadn't set up or sorted most of his things, because he couldn't pry himself away from the games and movies. And he ate really terribly, and I got all depressed and bored, and I'd just sit with him while he played, and I started eating similarly, and packed on the pounds. So...I'm kind of turned off of them, and I can't bring myself to play for more than half an hour at a time now. I did really enjoy them in the past, it kind of stinks to have the life sucked out of a hobby, you know?

Bleh. I'm not sure how to enjoy them again without being afraid of them taking over my life.

Have any of you ever run into something like that?

Hey everyone! Just got my walking in, and I made an awesome salad for lunch. I'm still mixing in the rest of the "non-clean" food that I have. But I'm going on a shopping trip tomorrow, and I think I'm going to try eating mostly Paleo (clean if not). It had me scared that I wouldn't be able to find anything to eat, but the more I'm reading on it, the more I'm like "I like that anyway!!" Like cashews over peanuts. Homemade spinach dip, dipping cucumbers in it instead of chips or crackers. Yeah, I can do that. Omelets, yeah. Salads. Sounds good actually.

I'm trying to avoid gaming, mostly...I was dating a guy for about a year, and we had a bothersome breakup about a week ago. :/ He was a video game and movie addict (and I'm using that correctly)...every spare minute of his time, basically, was devoted to getting achievements or watching new movies, and every extra dollar he had went into new games or movies. We lived together for about 5 months, and at the end of that, he still hadn't set up or sorted most of his things, because he couldn't pry himself away from the games and movies. And he ate really terribly, and I got all depressed and bored, and I'd just sit with him while he played, and I started eating similarly, and packed on the pounds. So...I'm kind of turned off of them, and I can't bring myself to play for more than half an hour at a time now. I did really enjoy them in the past, it kind of stinks to have the life sucked out of a hobby, you know?

Bleh. I'm not sure how to enjoy them again without being afraid of them taking over my life.

Have any of you ever run into something like that?

Yes about 15 years ago and I am still recovering.  =) 

Well ok that sounds a little dramatic but after I broke up with the guy I never got back into shape and here I am 15 years later married with 3 kids and at an even higher weight cuz I never dealt with the unhealthy eating that I got sucked into.  (wow that was a long sentence)

That's why we're all here though to make this fun.  Let's make it new and exciting again! 

Hobbit Adventurer

WOW, There are tons of former WoW peeps here!  I played near-religiously as well.  Raided as a healer for about 7 years. Grad school and work and life in general eventually nipped it in the bud. I made a ton of great friends over WoW and still have most of them in my life in some form or another.  I miss those days, especially the days of BC raiding. AHHH Those were the days a good healer could single-handedly heal a raid if everyone STAYED OUT OF FIRE ! lol

Mortikar - not really, I don't eat breakfast, so the protein shakes are great. Lunch I usually have something that requires chewing, just today I ran out of the house in a fog, and I keep stuff here at the office for days like this.  Dinner usually is a good hearty meal. I try not to snack, either, and if I do, I try to keep it protein-centric. Unless its a banana.

Xeph Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines