Terrormortus’ Quest to Join the Military

terrormortus

So I have a confession fellow monks, I already started this goal. :D

So today I went to see my recruiter again expecting to be told I need to lose another ten to fifteen pounds.

Nope. After my recruiter told me how impressed he was with how much weight I had lost he took my measurements. 25% Body Fat, just enough to let me enlist. So we proceeded to spend the next two hours doing paperwork knocking about ¾ of it out (since I didn’t think I would be enlisting today I hadn’t brought anything with me).

But the journey isn’t over yet. In addition to finishing my paperwork I need to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), figure out what I’m going to go in for, figure out stuff on the home front, and all sorts of stuff. So yeah, this challenge is all about getting ready.

Main Quest!!!!!!

Be able to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test

So okay this bit isn’t exactly martial arts related, but considering the fact that the entire test is made up of bodyweight exercises and cardio I think it fits well in here. So my three goals for this challenge will be…!

Go Running at Least Twice a Week: Running is my bane, I am not fond of it and it is not found of me but a big part of the test is running. Specifically I need to be able to run two miles in sixteen minutes or less. Now as it is I can run a quarter of a mile in a little under two minutes, so if I kept that pace I would be fine. Unfortunately I need to get to the point where I can run two miles.

So far the plan is to run one lap for now, and bring my time down to 1:30. After that add another lap and run that till my time is about 3:00, and so on and so forth. But for now all I want to do is get out there twice a week.

Reward: Stamina +3

Do Convict Workout Twice a Week: Fact is I’m gonna need some muscle if anything I’ve read has taught me. So I’m going to be continuing to do the Convict Conditioning Program three times a week to gain some strength and hopefully rock the push-ups and sit-ups.

The Plan: I’m going to start heading to the gym again to do all this stuff, I need an actual workout space and doing it at home isn’t working well. I’m going to keep a journal of everything like I have been and post results at the end to show progress.

Reward: +2 Strength , +1 Dexterity, +1 Constitution

Keep Eating Right: So yeah this is pretty self explanatory. Since I first started losing weight for this, Febuary of last year, I’ve lost 77 pds. Pretty good but I think losing a bit more will be helpful, plus a good diet just makes me feel better and be a nicer person.

The Plan: No Sugary Stuff at all, small amounts of bread and rice, lots of meat, lots of veges, lots of fruit, and small amounts of dairy. This is the diet that is good for me I’ve found, so I’m going to stick to it. Since this one actually needs a grading system in place every day I will review how I did and give myself a point or not depending on if I ate something bad. Tally up the points at the end.

Reward: Constitution +3, Wisdom +1. I’m getting some wisdom as hopefully the month and a half will help me experiment further with my diet and find out what makes me run better.

Side Quest

Study for the ASVAB

So In addition to all the physical stuff I also need to take the ASVAB and I want to do well on it. Plus side is I took the pretest and it graded me in the seventy third percentile. Turns out that is the second highest category and oh yeah, that’s high enough for me to start as an officer. So yeah I want to make sure I get at least that well and if possible even better.

The Plan: Every day I dedicate half an hour to studying. I’m stopping to grab some study guides from the library tomorrow and I’ll use them primarily, with some side stops at khan academy and other places that seem like they may help.

Reward: Wisdom +4

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Great progress, and the theme music totally fits.

One thing to watch out for is that a lot of the military physical fitness tests revolve around tests of endurance rather than strength. CC might work for teaching you how to do a lot of reps, but it might be advisable to look into hundredpushups.com and other places like that.

Awesome to hear your progress has been rewarded IRL!

All the best with this next challenge :)

Thanks.

Great progress, and the theme music totally fits.

One thing to watch out for is that a lot of the military physical fitness tests revolve around tests of endurance rather than strength. CC might work for teaching you how to do a lot of reps, but it might be advisable to look into hundredpushups.com and other places like that.

You have a good point there. For CC the progression standard for push-ups is 2 sets of 20 and I need to be able to do 40 to pass the PFT. I think I'll stick with CC until I finally reach the progression standard for full push-ups and incorporate aspects of the hundred push-ups system afterwards.

"Do it now."

Nice, TM. Though now Mulan will be stuck in my head the rest if the night.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Sweet goals, TM~! >w<

I'll be cheering you on - and looking forward to that journal posting at the end. I'm looking to do CC once I've finished my cut and (although I might start it before I reach this goal) raised my lifts to at least 100lbs+ each.

Really cool, mate! :3

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Ooh, awesome! I have a similar goal. I did so awesome on an online practice ASVAB that I had recruiters calling me every day. So I finally went in to talk to them about it, and they realized that I'm very overweight and unfit, and joining up is absolutely out of the question with the shape that I'm in.

So I'm very interested in any plan that's working out for you, since you're several steps ahead of me! (I'm following you now :D )

I am kind of fuzzy/new to the details though. Which branch were you looking into?

Sweet goals, TM~! >w<

I'll be cheering you on - and looking forward to that journal posting at the end. I'm looking to do CC once I've finished my cut and (although I might start it before I reach this goal) raised my lifts to at least 100lbs+ each.

Really cool, mate! :3

I appreciate the support. CC is actually pretty sweet, really helps build up strength, plus I'm starting to get muscle definition thanks to it. :D

This is so great, TM! I love how you have such a big goal to strive for, and you've already done so much. Be fierce! Like this guy!

tumblr_inline_mq7fh2ubFZ1qz4rgp.gif

^ (Goes well with your theme song)

Loved Mushu. He's pretty appropriate too now that I think about it.

Ooh, awesome! I have a similar goal. I did so awesome on an online practice ASVAB that I had recruiters calling me every day. So I finally went in to talk to them about it, and they realized that I'm very overweight and unfit, and joining up is absolutely out of the question with the shape that I'm in.

So I'm very interested in any plan that's working out for you, since you're several steps ahead of me! (I'm following you now :D )

I am kind of fuzzy/new to the details though. Which branch were you looking into?

I'm going for the National Guard, allows me to serve but still lets me have a life at home and go to school. 

A big part of it was cleaning up my diet and changing my eating habits. I started with simple stuff like not eating fast food and cutting back on things like soda and sweets. After that I just kept adding things little by little until I look back and realize how different things have become. Works the same with exercise too. Started doing walks every few days and got to the point where now I average between 8-10 miles a day.

Specifically though:

• I switched drinking soda and a lot of my alcohol with water. I just figured out that half the time I wanted to drink something for the hell of it, so didn't matter if it was water.
  • I stopped eating processed stuff. When I go to the store I hit the produce section and that's pretty much it now, I go to a butcher for meat and seafood. Occasionally I venture farther for juice, cheese, or rice but that's about it. 
  • I started cooking at home pretty much everything I eat. It makes it a hell of a lot harder to overeat when the fact is that the only food you have is stuff you have to cook. If I'm hungry I actually cook something but if I want to snack odds are I won't go through the extra effort to make something. (taking advantage of laziness)
  • I replaced my bad snacks with good ones. Rather then chips I snack on apples, trail mix, peanut butter crackers and the like. 

But that's pretty much a run down of what I did. I also experimented with my diet A LOT. The diet plan I'm using for this challenge is entirely based on the type of foods that I enjoy eating and actually make me feel good.

"Do it now."

I'm going for the National Guard, allows me to serve but still lets me have a life at home and go to school. 

A big part of it was cleaning up my diet and changing my eating habits. I started with simple stuff like not eating fast food and cutting back on things like soda and sweets. After that I just kept adding things little by little until I look back and realize how different things have become. Works the same with exercise too. Started doing walks every few days and got to the point where now I average between 8-10 miles a day.

Specifically though:

• I switched drinking soda and a lot of my alcohol with water. I just figured out that half the time I wanted to drink something for the hell of it, so didn't matter if it was water.
  • I stopped eating processed stuff. When I go to the store I hit the produce section and that's pretty much it now, I go to a butcher for meat and seafood. Occasionally I venture farther for juice, cheese, or rice but that's about it. 
  • I started cooking at home pretty much everything I eat. It makes it a hell of a lot harder to overeat when the fact is that the only food you have is stuff you have to cook. If I'm hungry I actually cook something but if I want to snack odds are I won't go through the extra effort to make something. (taking advantage of laziness)
  • I replaced my bad snacks with good ones. Rather then chips I snack on apples, trail mix, peanut butter crackers and the like. 
But that's pretty much a run down of what I did. I also experimented with my diet A LOT. The diet plan I'm using for this challenge is entirely based on the type of foods that I enjoy eating and actually make me feel good.

Ooh, thanks for the tips. I'm about in the same boat as where you started. I love the idea of "taking advantage of laziness". I do tend to do that with drinks other than water, and snacks..."oh, it's here, let's eat it".

Ooh, thanks for the tips. I'm about in the same boat as where you started. I love the idea of "taking advantage of laziness". I do tend to do that with drinks other than water, and snacks..."oh, it's here, let's eat it".

I have the same problem. If food is just sitting out I have a really bad habit of just grazing.

"Do it now."

Alright so since it is technically Monday now the challenge has officially started. And what better way to start it then with a small edit?

So yes I altered one of the goals slightly, specifically changed the number of times I'm aiming to complete the CC workout to two instead of three. This is based on how I like to do my workouts; cardio, strength, cardio, strength, you get the idea. Cardio twice a week and bodyweight three times a week would mean it is a little out of whack. Seems small complaint but I figure it's also easier to remember. Also it keeps neither one from getting too much of a focus, observe...

First Week: 

Mon: Strength

Tues: Cardio

Wed: Strength

Thurs: Rest Day

Friday: Cardio

Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: Strength

Second Week

Monday: Cardio

Tues: Strength

Wed: Cardio

Thurs: Rest Day

Friday: Strength

Saturday: Rest Day

Sunday: Cardio

So yeah it works out in the end.

"Do it now."

smtwtfs

ScSoSco

I decided to keep powering through with the sledgehammer and I'm upgrading it to a 20 lb warhammer this challenge.  It's going to be really tough.  What if you just did every week:

Strength/Cardio/Strength

Off

Strength/Cardio

Off

would that be feasible?  your 2 week setup would confuse me. 

Alright so first day had some ups and downs. Goal wise I did well, getting everything done for today.

Unfortunately I'm missing a piece of paperwork to enlist, my high school diploma. I need to get a hold of a copy, which just means I need to call my high school. It's just you know... summer.

Running for First Week: 0/2

Convict Conditioning for First Week: 1/2

Keep Eating Right: 1/1 Points

ASVAB Studying for First Week: 1/7

"Do it now."

WOOHOO!!! This is such a great goal!

I was a Logistics Officer in the Army for four years, so if you ever have any questions about the differences of going officer vs. enlisted please send me a message! It looks like you are making great progress and kickin ass already! I had a question about your running, maybe I didn't read what you posted correctly. Your goal time is 2 miles in under 16 minutes, so you are using 1/4 mile times and slowly adding to that.

Can you run 2 miles straight without stopping? Even if it takes you 25 or 30 minutes? I was also very out of shape before I joined and had never really ran before. What worked really well for me was getting to the point that I could run the whole 2 or even 2.5 miles, no matter how long it took, and THEN adding in 1/4 mile sprints at my goal pace. So for example my training program looked liked this, alternating days (A Mon, B Wed, A Friday, B Sun, etc.):

A: 2 mile run at 70-80% maximum pace (which at first was still taking over 25 min)

B: 30 minutes of sprints, (30 second sprints, 60 second walk around track)

My time advanced quickly once I started following this program. AND BIG HINT: this is EXACTLY the kind of routine the Army uses at Basic, at OCS, and at your unit for PT (with of course a lot of pushups, situps, and other bodyweight stuff as well). Eventually you will also be doing lots of 4-5 mile runs at a ~10/11 minute pace. Don't worry about that now, just keep in mind endurance will be a big part of your training later down the road.

Do you have a watch with a timer? That is the best way to keep track of your times. If you don't already have one get a nice durable digital watch you can set to military time (like Timex Ironman) you'll need it for BMT anyway!

Best of luck I know you will get there!

Powerlifter, Strongwoman, Pharmacist, Jericoholic, and Earth Bender

Daily Battle Log

Nice start, TM.

And I second WildColonialGrrl, most school office workers are going to still be working during the summer.  Not only that, you could always check the district administrative building and see if they can grab the paperwork for you that way - they'll definitely be open.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Wow! Terrormortus is very lucky. Getting insider advice and intel! XD

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

smtwtfs

ScSoSco

I decided to keep powering through with the sledgehammer and I'm upgrading it to a 20 lb warhammer this challenge.  It's going to be really tough.  What if you just did every week:

Strength/Cardio/Strength

Off

Strength/Cardio

Off

would that be feasible?  your 2 week setup would confuse me. 

Part of the reason for the set up is I have two tabletop games during the week, one I run on Thursday and one I play in on Saturday. So those are the nights I need off, hence the schedule. Really it gets simpler when you consider all you have to remember is what you did last, cardio or strength.

In my part of the world office staff of school work almost all year round, except major public holidays. Try it or check for a website with holiday office hours.

Good start mate!

Nice start, TM.

And I second WildColonialGrrl, most school office workers are going to still be working during the summer.  Not only that, you could always check the district administrative building and see if they can grab the paperwork for you that way - they'll definitely be open.

I ended up calling the school, turns out there was someone there all day they just weren't answering there phone. So I sent them an email before they left and am going to be there nice and early tomorrow. Benefit of mild insomnia, missing a little sleep to make an appointment doesn't bother me.

WOOHOO!!! This is such a great goal!

I was a Logistics Officer in the Army for four years, so if you ever have any questions about the differences of going officer vs. enlisted please send me a message! It looks like you are making great progress and kickin ass already! I had a question about your running, maybe I didn't read what you posted correctly. Your goal time is 2 miles in under 16 minutes, so you are using 1/4 mile times and slowly adding to that.

Can you run 2 miles straight without stopping? Even if it takes you 25 or 30 minutes? I was also very out of shape before I joined and had never really ran before. What worked really well for me was getting to the point that I could run the whole 2 or even 2.5 miles, no matter how long it took, and THEN adding in 1/4 mile sprints at my goal pace. So for example my training program looked liked this, alternating days (A Mon, B Wed, A Friday, B Sun, etc.):

A: 2 mile run at 70-80% maximum pace (which at first was still taking over 25 min)

B: 30 minutes of sprints, (30 second sprints, 60 second walk around track)

My time advanced quickly once I started following this program. AND BIG HINT: this is EXACTLY the kind of routine the Army uses at Basic, at OCS, and at your unit for PT (with of course a lot of pushups, situps, and other bodyweight stuff as well). Eventually you will also be doing lots of 4-5 mile runs at a ~10/11 minute pace. Don't worry about that now, just keep in mind endurance will be a big part of your training later down the road.

Do you have a watch with a timer? That is the best way to keep track of your times. If you don't already have one get a nice durable digital watch you can set to military time (like Timex Ironman) you'll need it for BMT anyway!

Best of luck I know you will get there!

If I have any questions I'll be sure to send you a message. :D 

I think I'm going to incorporate what you did into my program. Measured it today, I can run about half a mile without stopping (and that's with some sprinting drills in the beginning) so I think the focus will be to get that up to at least two miles then do the springing drills afterwards. As for a watch with timer I don't have one, I've just been using my cellphone. It's on my list of things to get though (along with pants that fit and a whole host of other things).

Any more advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

"Do it now."

Alright so did my first running day today, I can actually run farther then I thought which is pretty awesome. Still have a ways to go. Eating wise I'm not giving myself a point for today as I had a big thing of chocolate milk and my body is not thanking me for that. ASVAB studying went off without a hitch, even better the study guide I requested got here. Reading up on the ASVAB it looks like I can retake it after 30 days, so even if I don't do as well as I want I can still retake it later.

Spent the day doing the last of the paperwork to enlist. I still need to get my high school transcript but that is literally the last thing that I need to get. So yeah, pretty good day even if my brain is mush from all the paperwork.

Running for First Week: 1/2

Convict Conditioning for First Week: 1/2

Keep Eating Right: 1/2 Points

ASVAB Studying for First Week: 2/7

"Do it now."

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines