Hufflepug: challenge #2

hufflepug

Ok I think this is good now :) Thanks CakeBanisher!

Main Quest: To spend more time with nature, just like a druid should :)

1.) Walk the Hill - Walk down the huge hill and back up, at least 3 times each week: 3STA
I don't handle hills that well, I'm usually huffing and puffing long before I reach the top. Obviously this becomes a problem when hiking. My apartment complex is very hilly, and there's one especially steep one right outside my door. I will walk down it and back up at least 3 times a week, to help make those hills less difficult for me.

2.) Hiking - Go hiking at least 4 times over the course of the challenge: 2STR, 2DEX, 2STA
This is what I'd like to do, but I'm not sure how realistic 4 times is. I like to hike with my husband, I get too nervous going alone. He's really busy with CPA studying and band stuff, so 4 times might be expecting too much, especially since we really only ever see each other on weekends. So we'll see.

3.) Smoothies - Have smoothies for breakfast at least 4 times each week: 2CON, 1CHA
I always seem to do better with my diet when I start the day with a smoothie. Sometimes it feels like a lot of work though, so I want to make it a priority. Fitting this under nature feels like a stretch, but fruits are much more natural than the donuts I used to eat, or the golden grahams I usually have if I don't eat a smoothie :)

Life Side Quest:
Meals Outside - Eat on the balcony for at least 4 meals each week: 3WIS
I went through the cost and trouble to buy a cute little table and chair set for my balcony, but I don't use it nearly enough. I always really enjoy it when I do, it's quiet and private and very relaxing.

90-100%: A
75-89%: B
65-74: C
55-64%: D
Less than 64%: Fail

As of late last night I have a very sick cat. I'm not sure if he is going to get better. The past year and a half have been filled with losses, so it's hard to think positively. I'm hoping focusing on the challenge will help.

I lost 9 pounds during the last challenge. I'm currently at 284, and I'm hoping to get down into the 270s, but it's not an official goal or anything like that.

Hufflepug
Level 2 Mermaid Druid - Challenge #2
STR 1, DEX 2, STA 2, CON 3, WIS 7, CHA 4
Feel free to friend me on: LoseIt! | FitBit | Fitocracy | Spark People

Well, I think your goals look good!  All you really need to do is add a sentence for your Main Quest, and your Motivation.  Something to do with nature, based off your goals.  Nature is good!  Maybe something about getting back to your roots.  Get it, roots?  You get it, it's clever.  

I'm so, so sorry about your cat :(  A sick furry friend is one of the hardest things to deal with, and it never gets easier.  May I ask how old?  I have done feline rescue with my mom for years, and my mom runs a geriatric cat site to help and support people with older cats, and she knows a lot about illness in cats.  So, if you have any questions (old cat or not), feel free to ask, and I'll do my best to get you some kind of answer.  Best of luck in a difficult time!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Hey hufflepug, nice to see you!

I'll echo what was written above - I am a cat person and have my current one since 13 years. I dread the day he gets ill. Sending you strength to endure and make the right decisions.

Then get back here to us.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Thanks guys :) I'm hoping he'll recover. He hurt his back late Wednesday night, the vet seemed pretty confident that he'd get better. Today I got him to eat some chicken baby food, and he was very happy to eat it so I'm taking that as a good sign and trying to stay positive.

And CakeBanisher, thank you for outlining it for me, I understand a little better now. I was so frazzled when I was trying to read it. I will try to update later on today after another read through :)

Hufflepug

Day 1, so far so good :) I had my smoothie on the balcony today. I let my injured kitty out with me, since he loves it out there, I think he really enjoyed the fresh air after being sequestered to the bedroom (to keep him away from the other cats, just in case) for the past few days. I'm going to walk the hill after work since I didn't have time to do it this morning.

I'm really trying to keep up with posts and participate more :) For my first challenge, I was in the Adventurer group and there were so many people, I found it impossible to keep up and gave up.

Hufflepug

Glad I could help :)  I totally understand being frazzled.  Glad to hear your kitty seems to be doing better, and has a positive prognosis!  That must help you feel better.

I really like the way you're doing more natural and nature-based things.  There's something inherently wonderful about being in nature more, and I think we tend to forget about it the less time we spend connecting with it.  Smoothie on the balcony sounds nice :)  Glad your kitty enjoyed the fresh air with you, as well.  No matter what side of a closed door a cat is on, they want to be on the other side.  NOW.  So, sending support for both your goals, and your kitty :)

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

just popped over to say hi. HI!

hope day 2 of your challenge is treating you well and that your kitty is feeling even better!

Hi! Thanks for checking in :) Day 2 is good! I did the hill this morning, it was haaaard. I haven't walked around the apartment complex in a while, so I guess I forgot how out of breath it makes me. Out of curiousity, I did some researching, and it's about 1/4th mile in length (each way) and about a 100ft difference in elevation from my door to the bottom of the hill. That probably wouldn't be much for most people but for me it's rough! Which is why I'm doing it :)

I think my kitty is doing a little better every day :) his walking is getting less clumsy, and he isn't hiding as much. He's been spoiled with the balcony visits though and cries at the door when I won't let him out. I'm happy to see him being a brat though, since it's an improvement to just hiding and looking like he's in pain.

Hufflepug

way to go with those hills! :)

i also like the eat on balcony goal..... !

can feel with you about the cat.. mine is very old and a little confused... lots of work, but shes been such a good friend for years, i cant give her away! :)

best wishes! :)

Hello! 

Great goals! I LOVE smoothies. What do you usually make? I have one for breakfast every morning, though weekends are usually eggs or something :)  We just bought a magic bullet and I find it works pretty good. I put a handful of baby spinach in the bottom, half cup frozen blueberries (or other fruit) on top, and them fill the rest of the space with plain yogurt. It actually lasts me several hours each day! My boyfriend usually does the same but blends a banana in there as well.

I really related to your post when I read about the balcony eating, the smoothies, and your kitty! I've also started eating on the balcony a lot more! It's really nice and calming out there. Our cat, Mayhem (10yrs), also loves it out there. I planted him a tiny little cat grass (because he's not allowed outside). He likes to eat it or sit behind it and spy on the neighbors :)  Hope your kitty is doing better!!

Human Druid-Assassin, Level 3

STR: 4.25 | DEX: 3.5 | STA: 6.5 | CON: 9.35 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 3

These are great goals Hufflepug, and congrats on a good Day 2!

That 'eat outside' one is such a good goal; I eat lunch at my desk, while I work, every single day. Maybe next time I'll take a leaf out of your book!!

I have a history of binge eating (that I think is just about kicked! Today is day 98 with no binges :) ). One of the books I read said to stop eating meals in front of the tv or while doing work or anything else, because then you pay attention to your food more and feel more satisfied with what you've eaten. I think it's helped a lot, it's nice to eat without so many distractions.

Hello! 

Great goals! I LOVE smoothies. What do you usually make? I have one for breakfast every morning, though weekends are usually eggs or something :)  We just bought a magic bullet and I find it works pretty good. I put a handful of baby spinach in the bottom, half cup frozen blueberries (or other fruit) on top, and them fill the rest of the space with plain yogurt. It actually lasts me several hours each day! My boyfriend usually does the same but blends a banana in there as well.

I really related to your post when I read about the balcony eating, the smoothies, and your kitty! I've also started eating on the balcony a lot more! It's really nice and calming out there. Our cat, Mayhem (10yrs), also loves it out there. I planted him a tiny little cat grass (because he's not allowed outside). He likes to eat it or sit behind it and spy on the neighbors :)  Hope your kitty is doing better!!

It varies a lot depending on what I have on hand. Some of my favorites are strawberry with blueberries and a tangerine, strawberries, banana, milk and a half scoop of slim fast, and lately I've been adding cocoa powder to some flavors because I read that it's a good source of iron, plus it has so few calories. I have a ton of recipes I want to try, and I really want to try adding baby spinach or kelp but I'm extremely picky so I'm nervous. I really need to eat more vegetables though.

Hufflepug

Hey! Fantastic goals!!! Love nature-- obviously :)

For veggies in your smoothies, definitely start with baby spinach- it's pretty much tasteless as far as smoothies go so it can be a good intro to greens in there!

Happy challenging!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Thanks for asking Evenewbie :) It's been a crazy week so I haven't been online that much. No hikes planned, unfortunately. The kitty is doing much better. I think he's still in some pain, because he winces and pulls back if I put my hand near the front of his spine, but otherwise he's doing a lot better. I tried a new smoothie but I hated it: 

http://www.wholeliving.com/180976/melon-mint-and-cucumber-smoothie I left the mint out because I didn't have any on hand (my mint plants all died :( ), maybe I would've liked it better with the mint.

I fell behind a little this week:

Walked the Hill: 3/3

Smoothie: 3/4

Ate Outside: 3/5

I'm hoping things at work slow down and the weather stays nice again so I can get more done :)

Hufflepug

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines