• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

Risen Phoenix’s Spartan Beginning

Rice is good. Rice is good and cheap, and you can get lots of calories out of it for not very much money. I'm personally a fan of jasmine rice, myself.

Not sure really how to go about adding on the mass either, though. I don't want to give you bad advice; most of what I've got just comes down to hard work and eating well afterward. You might want to go have a word with the warriors about that; it's really their thing, and while nobody seems to know how to do a 'clean bulk,' they can definitely give you some tips on getting started.

You'll rise above this. You're smarter than I am and I'm sure you have some awesome connections. You'll get it. If I could get out of it, you can too.

Well, rice is all I got at the moment, so that's what's gonna have to suffice.  Though for budget's sake I may have to drop the caloric intake to save some money.  I have a few other plans as well, so we'll see what happens.

That being said, I stopped and lurked over at the Warrior threads.... they eat like Warrior-KINGS.  Seriously.  Those meals look emormous AND amazing.

And please, I'm not that smart - I bumble my way through most things until they make sense. Much different.  You have all the health-knowledge.  Hence why I tend to pester you and my trainer-friend.  Much easier access to information than doing the leg work myself. :P

So good to read you are looking at this as an opportunity. Hopefully you will have enough time to experiment and then get a fine job.

I hope to read more on how you do in your enviable quest to gain healthy weight.

Honor your name fellow monk!

Thanks, Zuel.  It's really weird trying to eat more and healthy, and then failing miserably because you can't find healthy alternatives.  Weird.  Doesn't help when roommates bust out, I dunno, dinner mint brownie cakes, either.  (Yes, I partook.  I still claim shock from the job loss.).

In other news:

2) Run to Guard the Pass: Woke up this morning at 7AM, no alarm.  Which would be cool if, ya know, I had a job to get to in the morning.  Would have actually allowed me enough time to get gathered and to work for my usual 8AM start time.  Thanks body, for that.  So I laid in bed a few more minutes and then rolled out of it in time to stretch and go for a run by 8AM.  Lo and behold... a 1.85 mile run that took ~16 minute (~8:45 minute / mile). Slower, yes, but that's because the entire time I was consciously trying to go slower so as to not wear myself out.  Not only that, I got to a branch point where I realized I could go left and do the run I did before, or right and make it longer.  Since I could still think clearly, I chose the right path, and wound up even missing the initial turnoff I planned to take and made the run even longer!

So I ended up running right up to my house (initially I planned on walking the block to smooth my muscles out) and stopping.  One brief stop as I waited to double check my geography, but nothing long.  So a straight 1.8mile run, we'll say.  And I didn't puddle when I got home.  So the next plan is to run TWO miles on Wednesday.  I think I have a path laid out, we'll see how lost I get.  But I seem to be doing much better at this running stuff than I initially expected to do.

Dried beans are also a good and cheap. Combined with rice, it makes a complete protein meal. You just have to remember to soak them or they take forever to cook.

Dried beans are also a good and cheap. Combined with rice, it makes a complete protein meal. You just have to remember to soak them or they take forever to cook.

Oooo, I'll definitely grab some next time I go shopping. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, life goal update: Grading was tonight, and it felt pretty solid! And given the number of people who came up and congratulated me at the end and commented on how smooth it looked, I'll say I did pretty damned well. Granted, a chunk of that praise should go to my phenomenal uke, who technically was too high of a rank for me to use (even if sensei okayed the pairing). But all in all, I feel good. Tomorrow I start practicing for 3rd kyu! B)

Yeah, I agree with Maa, rice and beans actually have all teh amino acids in them so all of the building blocks for proteins are there for your body. Spice that and you gotcha some good cheap meals.

...and yeah, the Warriors have some pretty awesome meals. Gaaahhhhhhhh.....

Congrats on your run!!! 1.8 miles and that is a good pace! :)

Looking forward to your 2 miles on wed!

And way to rock your grading! Post some pics if you have any! That's an awesome accomplishment!   :D

Eff yeah, passed grading! That's what I'm talking about.

Also, totally taking notes on cheap meals. Had no idea that beans and rice formed a complete chain for amino acids...

Eff yeah, passed grading! That's what I'm talking about.

Also, totally taking notes on cheap meals. Had no idea that beans and rice formed a complete chain for amino acids...

Yup! I read an article about that a long time ago in college, but it has always stuck with me. Here is another not-so-scientific article about the combo.

Thanks guys! Technically I won't know until tonight, but its a pretty well known fact that if you're testing you already passed. Honestly, I was not the star of te night. One guy was an uke twice and tested, and on girl tested for TWO ranks that night (5th and 4th kyus, and she was only told the night before she'd be tesring for the 4th!). But it felt good. Did a mini-randori yesterday with one of the girls who tested and one of the younger black belts. It was fun. :3

Also, it is barely past 8AM right now, and I've already gone for the 2 mile run (with each mile taking ~8:50), gotten cleaned up, and breakfast consumed. I have a "How to be Un-Unemployed" seminar at 9 where I used to work that'll last all day. Should be fun. Then aikido and drinking with friends to celebrate the grading and despair about the joblessness.

Oh, and I feel like I should say this cuz I dunno when it'll happen again: I are completely clean yesterday and made my caloric intake goals! That being said, I had to resort to a protein shake... Which won't be something I can do once it runs out. So there's that...

Cherish that feeling, man. You'll be back at it before too long. Let this be one of the things that brings you back.

Keep yourself busy RP! It´s ok to "despair" a little, but don´t let that take too much of your energy. =0

I wish you success on your test results!

Cherish that feeling, man. You'll be back at it before too long. Let this be one of the things that brings you back.

Keep yourself busy RP! It´s ok to "despair" a little, but don´t let that take too much of your energy. =0

I wish you success on your test results!

Congrats on your test!

And nice run! Feels good getting it out of the way so early!

Hope you have fun tonight shootin da shit.

Thanks, guys!  Also:  Officially passed!  Sensei taught last night and put up the list.  Huzzah!

Anyway, after class and some mat tomfoolery I grabbed dinner and drinks with two of the guys I practice with near where I live.  I far, far surpassed my caloric intake goal, in the worst ways possible.  Giant burger and lot and lots of beer.  I vaguely remember being able to hold my own with beer.  Apparently that's not the case anymore.  Oh well, it was fun and filled with much drunken discourse on aikido/martial art theory, which always makes me happy.  One guy always apologizes for lecturing on martial art theory - he apparently hasn't figured out that if I didn't like it I would be long gone anyway. 

Anywho, working out with my friend later this afternoon, which should be nice.  Haven't done it in two weeks, since last Thursday was the Doomday (PT-friend is the boyfriend of one of my coworkers, so the lay off effected him as well).  That being said, I may not be able to run in the morning.  Besides my legs killing me, I killed my ankle last night.  I'm going to try, but I'm likely only going to do a short, 1.5 mile run tomorrow.  Of course, we can count this part of the challenge as a win, since in week's time I've already managed to 1) become comfortable with running outside, 2) figure out that I can run further than 1.5 miles - and that I can likely still do higher if I'm properly rested, and 3) found I can drag myself out of bed to run in the first place (in a fasted state, no less).  Winning.

Hey, if the ankle's giving you grief and you want to run, do hill sprints! Do all the hill sprints. The fact that you're cutting the distance between foot and ground with every step should prove to be a significant relief.

And, worst case? Just find a really steep hill. :D

Hey, if the ankle's giving you grief and you want to run, do hill sprints! Do all the hill sprints. The fact that you're cutting the distance between foot and ground with every step should prove to be a significant relief.

Geez, kish! - You're brutal!

Glad you are celebrating your victories, RP! :)

.......  What Cheechoe said.  Brutal, man, brutal.

Glad you are celebrating your victories, RP! :)

Thanks.  The last week and a half has been rough, so it was nice to get some nervous energy out.... though I did send some weird throwing signals, apparently.  Whoops.

Anyway, almost mid week into week 5, but here's a very short summary of the last week:

Week 4 Summary:

1) Spartan Training: 1/2.  Monday was one of my excused days, but I still didn't manage to get another workout in between everything.  I was going to try on Saturday, but I ended up driving down to see a friend who was in the area briefly.

2) Run to Guard the Pass: Ran twice that week, 1.83 miles and 2.02 miles.  Both were around the 8:50 minute/mile mark.  Which I'm okay with.  I just need to train myself to run slightly longer now....

3) Dine in Hell: Definitely ate at least 2200 calories each day, though in the worst way possible.  I need to stop myself from going "well, I have 500+ calories left... a brownie won't hurt right now."  Part of it is that I don't have any decent, rapidly made healthy snack foods.  Currently my go-to is peanut butter and almonds on apples, but if I run out.... makes my life hard, when my roommate stocks so much crap in the house (I won't take his, but it definitely triggers a craving that is hard to get rid of because of the junk lying around).  I need to try harder.

Life goals:  Passed 4th kyu officially, and some more photos taken.  I don't really see any difference in those things other than what can be discounted as poor photography skills.  But I guess my legs are getting smaller and my gut is slowly shrinking, even if I feel I see none of these things.

EDIT - Oh, stats.  I'm currently weighing in between 201 and 204 pounds.  A bit of a waiver, but whatever.  My guy went from ~37 5/8" to something like 37.5" or 37 3/8".  Couldn't quite tell if I was pulling the tape measure a bit hard and cutting some size off by being squishy.

As for this week...

1) My goal today is to do a core workout.  I just haven't created it yet.  Probably jackknives, smart twists with a medicine ball, crunches, planks, and something else.  Maybe bicycle crunches to get the obliques running.

2) Ran yesterday for ~2 miles.  I probably could have pushed myself further, though I'm not sure by how much.  One of my largest fears is pushing myself a bit too far, and then have to walk home.  Or worse, take a bus. *shudder*  Granted, I'm mostly in the back neighborhood, so no one see me, but....  Anyway, I think I'm going to do 2 runs a week, rather than 3.  My knee has been a bit touchy lately, and I don't want to hurt it whilst I have no insurance.

3) Ate at least 2200 Monday and Tuesday, with most of them being clean.  Most.  A brownie may have snuck in yesterday.  And Sunday. -_-  Brownie will be gone today... even if I have to throw the bastard out.

Anyway, I'm off now.  I know I haven't been around much, but everyone is on my mind!  I'm going to try and stop by to people's threads today after I apply for a few more jobs.  Hopefully unemployment starts rolling in soon, and my severance pay gets deposited this week, so I shouldn't be quite as panicky on the financial front.

WOW!!!

Good job on the runs! (...heh heh.....the runs....)

That is a good pace, too. I like you idea of 2 runs a week. It will keep up your metabolism by getting in more cardio.

(Gotta stay away from those brownies, though!!!) ::shakes finger::

On a different front, how is the job search going??

Nice job on the run, other Phoenix!  I would kill for that kind of time on the mile, and you obviously have a lot of potential to do more.  But I'm willing to bet you have many, many inches of height over me, so I suppose I have to take what I can get.

Keep up the good work!  The mileage will start to add up before you know it.  Don't rush it.  You'll know when you're ready for more.

PS - You're getting a little ahead of yourself.  It's currently the middle of week 4 and your summary is of week 3.  Unless...you're from the future aren't you?  :cocksure:  Doh!  I knew it!

You know, if you get a chance, you might want to invest in a body tape measure. It actually clicks itself into place, so you never have to worry about pulling too tight or anything.

Also, if you're needing calories and cheap snacks, boiled eggs and cottage cheese, man. They are the way. They will make you strong.

WOW!!!

Good job on the runs! (...heh heh.....the runs....)

That is a good pace, too. I like you idea of 2 runs a week. It will keep up your metabolism by getting in more cardio.

(Gotta stay away from those brownies, though!!!) ::shakes finger::

On a different front, how is the job search going??

Thanks, Cheechoe!  My knee is definitely thankful I took yesterday to NOT run.  Tomorrow my goal is to run 2.5 miles.  We'll see how that goes, especially since I have no idea if I can make my neighborhood give me that much without too much twisty-turn, timey-wimey magic.

And yes, I need to stop with the brownies.  My (still slightly bad) replacement was I bought some 72% cacao ghiradelli chocolate squares.  I figure if I have 2 or 3 squares it won't kill me because it has decent fats and somewhat low sugar.  Actually, I had some last night with some almonds because after my entire day I was still 500 calories shy of where I needed to be for my calorie count. O_O

And the job hunt is.... slow.  Nothing is really being put out there for my specialty, so it's mostly me looking at postings going "I can do this... but blah."  It's early, so I'm taking the time to be picky.  My first unemployment check just came through, so that's kind of nice - don't have to worry quite as much about financing, since I live well below my means in the first place (AND that included budgeting aikido in.  WIN).

Nice job on the run, other Phoenix!  I would kill for that kind of time on the mile, and you obviously have a lot of potential to do more.  But I'm willing to bet you have many, many inches of height over me, so I suppose I have to take what I can get.

Keep up the good work!  The mileage will start to add up before you know it.  Don't rush it.  You'll know when you're ready for more.

PS - You're getting a little ahead of yourself.  It's currently the middle of week 4 and your summary is of week 3.  Unless...you're from the future aren't you?  :cocksure:  Doh!  I knew it!

Thanks, Burning.  And yea, timing is odd.  The past 2 weeks have felt so long, because so much has happened, and yet so very short.  And I was also looking at 4 sets of progress photos in my powerpoint slide show of Phoenix-progression.  Where I still don't see much happening... anyway.

You know, if you get a chance, you might want to invest in a body tape measure. It actually clicks itself into place, so you never have to worry about pulling too tight or anything.

Also, if you're needing calories and cheap snacks, boiled eggs and cottage cheese, man. They are the way. They will make you strong.

I won't lie, I love me some eggs.  I'm just slightly concerned with the amount of eggs I've been eating lately.  I think I need to return to my morning oatmeal and make hardboiled eggs as a snack food.  My cholesterol was amazing last time I got it checked, but I don't want to chance anything given my family history.

As for the cottage cheese.... it scares me.  It has always been this weird mass of WTF in my mind.  Maybe I'll grab a small container next time I go grocery shopping.  It's just.... creepy to me.

Mini updates:

1) Did a somewhat gimpy core workout yesterday.  Okay, not actually that gimpy:

15 crunches

30 bicycles

30 back scratchers

30 rotating crunches

15 leg-lowers

30 scissor kicks

30 side crunches

15 crunches

It's gimpy because I was doing the Spartan WOD, and this is only like, 2/3rd of it.  My core felt like it was going to keel over and make me not function the rest of the day if I kept going, and at 7:30AM I didn't have the willpower (or coffee) in me to move past it.  So blarg.  This morning my core is feeling a little tight, but nothing horrible, so I know I should be able to do more.

Anyway, presumably today I'll do some lifting with the workout-friend, unless he/his girlfriend don't want to put up with me.  We shall see.  Saturday would normally be another workout day, but I think 6 hours of aikido trumps that. (Huzzah, weapons!)

2) Running will happen tomorrow morning.  I'm kind of liking the whole pattern I have going on of "Alarm on every other day."  That being said, I keep waking up before the alarm, so I like that even more.

3) Made the diet fairly well the past few days, with a few chocolatey exceptions.  Hopefully I can kick that habit soon.  May be something I work on next challenge after talking to some people.  But eating cleanly on my budget right now is a smidge difficult (especially for snacks).

Life goal: Pictures.  Still need to take pictures.  I think I'm going to add my FIRST photo set to my current slide show.  Give me some more motivation on how long it takes me to see changes, so I don't freak out about gaining weight right now or seeing little physical changes (even if the gut is slowly moving in the correct direction).

Okay, enough procrastinating.  Off to the job hunt again.

I hear you on that. I don't get to eat the best right now either, between the temporary pay cut and the lack of options in walking distance. But you know, you do what you can with what you have where you are. What else can you ask of yourself in this?

Just checking in to see how the other Fenway Rebels are doing.  Looks like you have a LOT going on. 

Funny.  I did a modified Spartan Ab 300 yesterday, as well.  Modified because I think I did some of the moves incorrectly.  And, my body laughed when I tried to do what I think was the right way to do a back scratcher.

Keep on keepin' on!

As for the cottage cheese.... it scares me.  It has always been this weird mass of WTF in my mind.  Maybe I'll grab a small container next time I go grocery shopping.  It's just.... creepy to me.

Once you get past the idea you're going to eat a bowl of giant-ant eggs in slime, you'll be fine. :playful:

I hear you on that. I don't get to eat the best right now either, between the temporary pay cut and the lack of options in walking distance. But you know, you do what you can with what you have where you are. What else can you ask of yourself in this?

Be more awesome than yesterday.

Just checking in to see how the other Fenway Rebels are doing.  Looks like you have a LOT going on. 

Funny.  I did a modified Spartan Ab 300 yesterday, as well.  Modified because I think I did some of the moves incorrectly.  And, my body laughed when I tried to do what I think was the right way to do a back scratcher.

Keep on keepin' on!

Thanks, Ska.  I should do the same for the other Fenway rebels.  I feel like one day while the summer is still decent there should be a Fenway rebel meetup somewhere in the city.  It'd kinda be nice to have faces to usernames BEFORE the race day.

Once you get past the idea you're going to eat a bowl of giant-ant eggs in slime, you'll be fine. :playful:

NOT HELPING!!!11one