Risen Phoenix’s Spartan Beginning

RisenPhoenix

But think of all that protein! Sweet, runny protein...

Ants can lift a multitude of their own weight, they must be full of proteïn

You two are evil.  Evil, evil, evil.  I'll try to grab some cottage cheese when I go grocery shopping tomorrow - though what can I add to it to make it less creepy?

Also, been a crazy weekend, so here's my update:

1) Spartan Training: 1/2.

So This week was weird.  I did one small core workout Monday, but nothing else this week since my friend bailed on Thursday.  I'm in a weird position, though, because I would much rather go to the dojo than do a workout, but that's not what I need to focus on now.  But it felt so good to go to the dojo almost every day this week (Thursday I gave myself a day off) - I logged 6 hours of mat time since Sunda.  And those 6 hours are classes only, not time spent AFTER class messing around with things... and I did that a lot, too. Followed by spending this weekend on Cape Cod doing 8 hours of aikido weapons classes. 

Overall, I think I need to take time on Sunday to write up three workouts so I have them ahead of time, because I think that's my number 1 cause of not doing a workout - no plan.  And by the time I do the research to get one, I don't want to do it.  I'm going to try and take some time today to write out three decent plans, and then go on from there.  Mainly things that use body weight, maybe resistance bands (cheaper than buying dumb bells) and a medicine ball I can sometimes steal from my neighbor.

2) Run to Guard the Pass: I ran twice last week:  2 miles on Monday, and 1.5 on Friday. 

Friday was a really weird run, because my left leg was acting up, the joint where my femur attaches to my hip. I'm hoping that stretching it will help a bit, though the weapons seminar this weekend really stressed by leg and knee.  Tomorrow I'll go for the first run this week.

3) Dine in Hell: 5/5 days >2,200 calories.

So I stopped trying to document what I ate this weekend, once I realized that there was going to be way too weird of a food selection, and that my hours of aikido would burn a weird amount of calories that I couldn't ever really document.  That being said, I ate like crap, and my body is currently revolting against any existence.  I'm trying to get back to my usual diet so my body stops hating me.

As for the life goal, I'm not taking measurements until my body stops hating me for eating all the foods.  A quick measurement last night revealed a crazy weight swing, so I'm waiting.  Though pre-weekend I weighed in at 200.6 pounds.  Apparently my body really enjoys that number, because it's been pretty stable there.  And I'm content with that for the time being.  Any weight lost now I'd want it from strength training, not a caloric deficit, which I think I've started to cover nicely.  I just have 10 weeks left to train myself for this Spartan...  *Nervous*

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Making it less creepy... hm, I don't know. Myself, I tend to add in things like almonds and seeds and things like that. Although, one add-on that I found particularly awesome: walnuts. Something about the interplay of flavors really worked for me there; I like them a lot.

So, let's look on the bright side here. You may not like not having a planned workout, but on the other hand you're still moving. That's worth something. The running is going to be interesting, given that you have a long distance to run. Still, ten weeks is ten weeks. You can make things happen here.

My husband likes to throw cottage cheese onto his salad.  Lots of people (although I can't say I'm one of them), like pineapple or other fruit in it (sort of like yogurt).  I've even seen cottage cheese packaged together with fruit toppings, so it would be easy to try that way.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Making it less creepy... hm, I don't know. Myself, I tend to add in things like almonds and seeds and things like that. Although, one add-on that I found particularly awesome: walnuts. Something about the interplay of flavors really worked for me there; I like them a lot.

So, let's look on the bright side here. You may not like not having a planned workout, but on the other hand you're still moving. That's worth something. The running is going to be interesting, given that you have a long distance to run. Still, ten weeks is ten weeks. You can make things happen here.

My husband likes to throw cottage cheese onto his salad.  Lots of people (although I can't say I'm one of them), like pineapple or other fruit in it (sort of like yogurt).  I've even seen cottage cheese packaged together with fruit toppings, so it would be easy to try that way.

So my own cottage cheese update...  Okay, not as creepy as I initially thought, but.... holy cheese wheel Batman, SALT.  I also made a mistake of having a full cup portioned out with blackberries on top.  Not bad, but it definitely screwed with my stomach - probably all that salt.  I might be okay with the single serving in the future (it looked so small in the bowl and needed more company, I swear), but I dunno if I could do it regularly.  I may have to try doing a savory mix to compare.

Also, ran this morning.  I'm slightly disappointed with myself - I wanted to get a 2.5mile run in this morning, but only made it 2.35 miles.  Yes, I know this is significantly above what I initially intended for the challenge, but I was trying to push myself, and I failed in that.  Yea, I could have walked it, but I feel like that's cheating.  Hopefully Friday I'll get to the 2.5 mile mark.

Now I'm off to plan a workout for the morning.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Maa - No issue with milk here. Except for its slightly high calorie count vs how much I can drink. I definitely think it was the salt content - I usually add little, so that dose was kinda crazy for me.

Cheechoe - I think I got my motivation from you today. Woke up, did a hotel body weight workout of push-ups, lunges, and pull downs. Then helped a friend move all day. THEN went to the dojo for a class. And then wrapped up moving my friend.

Reward for the day? An almost obscene amount of Japanese BBQ. Excuse my while I fall into a food coma now.

Maa - No issue with milk here. Except for its slightly high calorie count vs how much I can drink. I definitely think it was the salt content - I usually add little, so that dose was kinda crazy for me.

Cheechoe - I think I got my motivation from you today. Woke up, did a hotel body weight workout of push-ups, lunges, and pull downs. Then helped a friend move all day. THEN went to the dojo for a class. And then wrapped up moving my friend.

Reward for the day? An almost obscene amount of Japanese BBQ. Excuse my while I fall into a food coma now.

Awww, I love to motivate! Please, Have some MOAR energy!!!

atp.gif

I'm making this declaration right now.

Two days of moving totally counts as a workout.  Oh good grief I need some advil.  My entire body is sore from lifting, packing, and running up and down multiple flights of stairs.

On the plus side, last night ended with pizza and some entertaining conversation and epic iaito videos at a friend's house.  Oh, and I got to borrow some ridiculous wire fu movies.

However, I am so knackered right now that movement is totally out of the question.  Hopefully tomorrow morning I can get a run in, hit up the dojo for a class, and get a decent other workout in.  That's the plan, at least.

When we workout it usually takes like 1 hours but when doing this kind of heavy duty activities we can take several. It definitely is a challenge. Rest well. Perhaps you could do some stretching to prevent more soreness.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Getting in a run AND dojo training AND other workout??

This is why we are best friends.

I failed. :( Don't hate me forever!

I was going to get in an extra workout after aikido yesterday, but ended up having a far-too-long conversation with my parents about them visiting.  By the time it stopped my stomach wast going to let me do anything but consume.  And then I got lazy.

But I fixed that this morning.  Did a workout (see below) and then did 2 hours of aikido.  I'm feelin' gooooood.

Anyway, weekly update:

1) Spartan Training: 3/3.

I feel like this is the first time I've managed to get three workouts in this whole challenge.  Two were the typical workout, while the third was 2 days of moving a friend.  I've started using Steve's method of a core exercise, hamstring exercise, push, pull, and quad exercise to build plans for myself.  I think that's the best way for me to attack the next few weeks.  I'm also thinking of getting a resistance band to help with the strength training - I'd get dumb bells, but the ones I want are ~$300, which obviously I cannot afford right now.  Eventually, but not now.  But if people want to suggest techniques to help me buff out my plans, I certainly won't complain.

2) Dine in Hell - 5/5.

I've been eating a lot, lately.  And it's kinda showing in my gut and weight.  But I've definitely been hitting that eating goal of mine....

3) Run to guard the Pass  - Success!

I got two runs in this week, 2.37 miles and 2 miles.  I wanted to go further yesterday before class, but lack of drinking water before the run, plus humidity and random bouts of rain pushed it over my willpower level.  That being said, I'm still okay with being able to run that much without hating myself for much afterwards.

Life Goal:

Gotta take pictures later, but some measurements.  202-204 pounds is my current weight, but I've been in a crazy amount of flux lately.  Also apparently my gut is back to being ~38".  :(  That being said though, my arms do look bigger and my legs seem somewhat slimmer than I remember, so what the hell do I know?  Plus I've had several comments from people at the dojo mentioning my weight loss, so obviously I did something right.  Now I just need to get stronger so I don't kill myself during the Spartan Sprint.

So, last week, right?  I'm gonna nail this bugger on a high note, dammit, even if it kills me.

EDIT - Just because I have no where else to post this, and I thought it was hysterical.  I was talking to my new neighbor last night (just a general hangout between our two apartment last night) and a joke was thrown out on how going to be fattened up by his roommate (new guy is pretty small, the other roommate is a hefty guy).  My response was "Yesss, join ussss, JOIN USSSSSS" (If you read that in a creepy snake voice, congratulations, you have my voice down perfectly.").  Pretty much as soon as it escaped my mouth I thought "Hm, that may not really apply to me any more" (which is a win in and of itself), and the new guy's response was "I'm pretty sure you don't fit that category."  I blinked, and replied "Well, this is kind of a new thing for me...."  His response?

"You mean being a buffed out sex god?"

Ignoring that I a) am not really buff and b ) am single as hell and mostly hermetic, I found it an absolutely hysterical exaggeration with a grain of truth.  Maybe it was the gin that made me so amused.  Dunno.  Wanted to share that somewhere where I wouldn't be given (too many) odd looks.

Just a small update, before I forget some things.

Yesterday I took as a total rest day.  Complete and utter rest, I didn't even go to the dojo! (Okay, I didn't go because it was closed for Labor day and would have gone if it was open, but anyway...)

Today I've also decided my body just does whatever the hell it wants.  Weighing myself I got ~200 pound.  Measuring my gut got my a hair above 37".  I bloody well just should give up on the measurements at this point and stick to poorly taken photographs.

Also, I managed to do 3 circuits of the scaled down Advanced Bodyweight Workout from NF:

10 BW Squats

10 lunges

16 Jump ups

3 pull ups (sorta.  Had to jump up to get started, probably more like 2.5)

10 decline pushups (instead of 6 dips)

3 chip ups (again with the jumping start.  I can't do them from a dead hang to save my life)

10 pushups

30 second plank

30 jumping jacks

Not that it was easy, but I probably could do a 4th circuit if I don't mind failing the numbers that time.  Which I may do Thursday.  I like the scaled down ABW enough that doing that for a bit certainly doesn't seem to be a terrible idea.  Also I have all the equipment to do said workout (I wish I could do the dips, but without doing serious furniture rearrangement I don't have equal height areas).

I think I finally have a schedule for my life.  Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday strength workouts, Wednesday and Friday for runs.  And then definitely Sunday-Wednesday for aikido (6 classes), and maybes on Friday (weapons class) and Saturday (depends on if I need sleep or not, but if I aim for the 11AM class I should be fine).

Yup.  Apparently I've gone fitness crazy.

YAY FER FITNESS CRAZY!!!

Naw, I don't hate you forever!! It just shows how I'd beat you mercilessly at PVP ;)

Seriously though, you are getting in some really good stuff here. ^5

I'm not sure resistance bands would help you much with strength training. I think you are too strong for that. You would probably get more out of doing more bodyweight stuff.....moving 200# around is more than most people could do and is sure to have you gaining strength. Maybe just add to the numbers or amount of circuts like you were saying. :)

You are doing awesome and staying strong even toward the end! When is your Spartan Sprint again?

Your life schedule sounds awesome! Working out 6 days a week?? No wonder you are a buffed out sex god!

Hey Buffed-out Sex-god Risen Phoenix! How are you doing?

Now really, I think that comments says a lot about your current physical appearance! So yaaay!! I´m so envious XD!

Very solid routines man! Keep it up!

Yup.  Apparently I've gone fitness crazy.

The best kind of crazy!

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

If you're worried about the gut measurement, just keep in mind that it's not that bad if it helps your Adonis ratio, ie the ratio of waist to shoulder measurements. If your gut got bigger, but your shoulders did too, then it's really not that bad.

Not that you're looking to be Adonis, obviously. ;)

Anyway! Great job on figuring out schedule! Now you have two jobs - sticking to that schedule, and changing it when it doesn't work anymore. It will be a challenge.

You're up to it, though.

YAY FER FITNESS CRAZY!!!

Naw, I don't hate you forever!! It just shows how I'd beat you mercilessly at PVP ;)

Seriously though, you are getting in some really good stuff here. ^5

I'm not sure resistance bands would help you much with strength training. I think you are too strong for that. You would probably get more out of doing more bodyweight stuff.....moving 200# around is more than most people could do and is sure to have you gaining strength. Maybe just add to the numbers or amount of circuts like you were saying. :)

You are doing awesome and staying strong even toward the end! When is your Spartan Sprint again?

Your life schedule sounds awesome! Working out 6 days a week?? No wonder you are a buffed out sex god!

I don't think we ever doubted that you'd kick my ass in a "number of workouts" PVP.  Not for a damned second.  I know where my limits lie. (Which could be said to be a problem of mine.  Maybe I'll work on that next challenge...)

Spartan Sprint is November 16.  Which gives me just about 10.5 weeks to train.  I got this.  I hope. (I have little access to things like rowing machine to get my body used to everything, which worries me a bit.  I'm hoping to figure out some to make me less paranoid.  Then again, my goal is to just FINISH the race, not blow it out of the water.)

Hey Buffed-out Sex-god Risen Phoenix! How are you doing?

Now really, I think that comments says a lot about your current physical appearance! So yaaay!! I´m so envious XD!

Very solid routines man! Keep it up!

The best kind of crazy!

Thanks, Zuel!  It really is weird seeing how far I've come.  I found an old license ID yesterday while cleaning from 2009.... wowzers.  All the change.  And yesterday while running someone yelled at me that I looked like "Tim Tebow." (Still parsing out if that was a compliment or not though.  That whole "I live in New England" thing means his name is more often cursed than praised....)

If you're worried about the gut measurement, just keep in mind that it's not that bad if it helps your Adonis ratio, ie the ratio of waist to shoulder measurements. If your gut got bigger, but your shoulders did too, then it's really not that bad.

Not that you're looking to be Adonis, obviously. ;)

Anyway! Great job on figuring out schedule! Now you have two jobs - sticking to that schedule, and changing it when it doesn't work anymore. It will be a challenge.

You're up to it, though.

Yea, that's true.  But what drives me crazy it now it just seems so damned inconsistent.  I will say that my hips are quite boney now.  And yesterday I tried wearing size 34 Levi's jeans.... I really should have worn a belt.  The damned things did not want to stay on my hips.  I don't know if it was the cut or what, but I swear to god if I have to buy more, smaller clothes I'll go crazy.  Though it was kinda funny to see my brother have to get size 34 pants because he's "getting fat" while I was given a pair of size 34 jeans at the same time for the opposite reason.

So, another small update.

Went for a run, like I said, yesterday.  I really wanted to hit 3 miles.  I did.  But my body once again said hell now.  I made it 2.4 miles.  Longest run yet, but not where I wanted to be.  I think part of the problem right now is that I'm now starting to exhaust my mental routes, outside of actually zigzagging across the neighborhood.  Which I may try tomorrow morning.  We'll see how that goes.  Aikido that evening, with a post-class dinner of some Thai food with some friends (and I still had to come home to eat more to hit my caloric goal....oof).  Actually, I also did a few pull ups for the hell of it last night, too.  Super heavy duty scaffolding was put up in front of the dojo and I was waiting for people and just jumped up and did three quick pull ups.  Because I could.

This morning I did the same workout as Tuesday morning.  I really like that workout, actually.  Though I think I need to push myself to do a 4th circuit.  I'll see how I feel Saturday afternoon and gauge it from that.  If it's not kicking my ass then, I'll do a 4th circuit.  Part of the issue is my pull ups/chin ups are a bit weak, so I dunno if I should go to something harder if they still suck.  Though maybe I'll skip the full pull/chin ups for pull/chin downs instead.  Might make my life easier (though slightly louder for my downstairs neighbors).

Have I mentioned I intend to nail this last week?  Because I really mean to nail this last week.

I know that feeling. I'm working on getting my running times down and I really, really want to run faster than I am now, for longer distances. It's a tough place. You go farther than you have before, but not as far as you want to go.

Honestly, though? You look like you're on track to nail this last week. Nail it to the freaking wall. Keep it up. Don't get discouraged. The Spartan Race is drawing closer, and it will not wait for you to get all right with where you are. So get farther!

Okay, quick update, because I've learned that NF is my largest procrastination tool to avoid job hunting (can we say "Part of my next challenge?").

Three miles.

I ran.  Three miles.  In 26 minutes. THREE MILES.

My feet kinda kept getting away from me.  It was a bit along the lines of what Bilbo said, actually.  A few times I was SO close to my house that a single turn would have sent me home, and my feet suddenly turned to a completely different direction.  And THEN there was my phone.... I quite literally ran up to my apartment and my phone said a very simple statement: "Distance: 2.75 miles."  At which point my brain went "But my house is RIGHT HERE" and my feet went "Ah, nope, round the block we go."  It is a quarter mile from my house and around the block, so around I went until I hit 3 miles.  Then my feet went "okay, you can stop now."

I practically limped home, but I made it. :D

Now I think I need to figure out a new route, because getting three miles in my neighborhood required way too many twists and turns for a guy with no glasses on at 7:30 or 8 in the morning.

Three miles.

Hahaha! Congrats man! Smaller pants size, being compared with a sportsman (let´s think it was a compliment) and a good 3 miles run. 

You are on fire! Nothing can stop ya! =D

Okay, quick update, because I've learned that NF is my largest procrastination tool to avoid job hunting (can we say "Part of my next challenge?").

Three miles.

I ran.  Three miles.  In 26 minutes. THREE MILES.

My feet kinda kept getting away from me.  It was a bit along the lines of what Bilbo said, actually.  A few times I was SO close to my house that a single turn would have sent me home, and my feet suddenly turned to a completely different direction.  And THEN there was my phone.... I quite literally ran up to my apartment and my phone said a very simple statement: "Distance: 2.75 miles."  At which point my brain went "But my house is RIGHT HERE" and my feet went "Ah, nope, round the block we go."  It is a quarter mile from my house and around the block, so around I went until I hit 3 miles.  Then my feet went "okay, you can stop now."

I practically limped home, but I made it. :D

Now I think I need to figure out a new route, because getting three miles in my neighborhood required way too many twists and turns for a guy with no glasses on at 7:30 or 8 in the morning.

Three miles.

DUDE!!

YOU ARE AWESOME!!

26 minutes?!? Thats an awesome pace! How tall are you??

And quoting Bilbo...This is why we are besties. :D

Yes, def get a new route. Running is mental enough as it is without getting weary of running in circles or seeing the same scenery. Congrats, man. You beat your brain. And from what I can tell that is a pretty heafty attribute to beat. :)  Keep it up! You will OWN this week!

Three miles in the eight-minute range, no less. That's a very respectable time to run that distance in.

Have you considered using Run Keeper for plotting out routes? It basically gives you maps you can use to plot out the running routes you want to do. I found it useful when turning left all the time got old.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines