Agent Katia vs the Sea Monster

Awesome job so far Kat! i found the same thing with tracking last challenge. It made me eat a bit better because I knew I'd be posting, and that was the main benefit. NO refined sugars most of the time though? THAT will be a challenge. Good luck!

Silas Randwulf

Level 2 Ogre Adventurer

STR: 6.75 DEX: 2.75 STA: 6 CON: 6 WIS: 4 CHA: 1.5

First Challenge

"The coward believes he will live forever if he holds back in battle, but in old age he shall have no peace though spears have spared his limbs." - Havamal

Dang, still impressed with your workouts and challenge goals!  Even missing a workout/nightly cleaning, still sounds like you're kicking butt!  Good work :)

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

Thanks for all of the votes of confidence and support!!! You guys are the best :)

Since I skipped my gym workout Weds AM, I was going to do pull-up bar work at home in the evening, but then got sidetracked (or maybe blindsided?) with a vital project that took far too long. C'est la vie. SO no pull-ups OR sink shining yesterday. Today is a new day. 

Wednesday, August 7th

TENTACLE SNAPPING:   No work (Oops! Not to worry. Still have the rest of the week!)

AQUATIC DEXTERITY:   1 / 2 weekly yoga   (Pilates 1; Yoga 0)

SIREN SONG:                      MFP: All meals tracked; Salad: Made; Refined Carbs: 1 (1 / 3 challenge restaurant lunches.)

SWAB THE DECK:             Sink not shined... (HOW HARD IS IT? 7 / 10 days)

Weekly tracked items (ungraded, to support Siren Song)

REFINED CARBS:     M: 7 servings (ack); T: 3 servings; W: 1 serving (this was the day I decided to start no refined carbs!)

DRINKING DAYS:     1 / 3 

RESTAURANTS:        1 / 3 

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

Sooo.... Can you make me one??? I will print it out. I am not even joking. 

My fotb card is currently a post-it. 

Done!  I had a feeling some Bats might ask, so I saved the template.

FotB_AgentKatia.png

Level 2 Human Ranger

(2 Ad, 1R, 1M, 1As)

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 7.5 | CON 9 | WIS 7.5| CHA 5.5

Challenges: 1 | Current | Battle Log
"Get up, put your feet on the floor, and don't look back, because we've got work to do.  Welcome to the grind."

Done!  I had a feeling some Bats might ask, so I saved the template.

FotB_AgentKatia.png

I heart you Thorns. THIS IS SO COOL. 

I'm printing this on cardstock for my wallet NOW. Thank you!!!!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Yoga was AWESOME yesterday, and I'm feeling back on track with pull-ups and sink shining. Yay!

Thursday, August 8th

TENTACLE SNAPPING:   6 (!) Negative pull-ups. (Personal best!)

AQUATIC DEXTERITY:   2 / 2 weekly yoga   (Pilates 1; Yoga 1)

SIREN SONG:                      MFP: All meals tracked;  Salad: Made;  Refined Carbs: 0  (1 / 3 challenge restaurant lunches)

SWAB THE DECK:             Sink shined! (Phew! 8 / 11 days)

REFINED CARBS:     M: 7 servings (ack); T: 3 servings; W: 1 serving; R: 0 servings

So, after chatting with my friend last night, I realize I need to clarify :)

When I said absolutely zero refined carbs, I meant it in the context of the tracked item/sub-goal I'd set up for myself.

Originally, I just needed to track and reduce the number of servings I was eating of things like ice cream, bread, pastries, cookies, other items where white flour is the primary ingredient, adding sugar or honey to tea or on top of something, etc. But I realized that without a target number of servings, I wasn't being as successful as I wanted. So I upped the ante.

With my revised goal, I didn't mean that literally no white flour would pass my lips, but more that I would cut back sugar in general. So if, for example, I want to put breadcrumbs in the stuffed eggplant I'm making this weekend, I can (within reason). Or if I need to make a roux, I can. As long as it's not the main ingredient in the dish and that it's preferably paired with some awesome protein, I'm okay with eating a little white flour.  

My NEXT challenge will very likely include ABSOLUTELY ZERO SUGARS in the literal sense. I'm looking at doing a program that's somewhat similar to the Whole 30 as I understand it (hey Tateman and KingLeeroy!), but is different in the sense that it's trying to identify foods that you have allergies or sensitivities to. There are actually multiple applications for the program, but the allergy/sensitivity aspect is my main reason for wanting to do it.

I don't have any severe food allergies, but I think there are things I eat regularly that are contributing to a list of...annoyances? I can't even say they are problems. I won't give TMI, but for example I've thought for a while that my dry-feeling skin (not dry feeling to someone else touching it, but it feels tight and itchy to me), itchy scalp, and complexion issues might be food-related, but since I don't have eczema or another more extreme skin condition, I haven't ever bothered to figure it out. That's just one of a list of things. 

Anyway, this program is super strict up front (kind of paleo plus) until you basically "detox," and then you systematically try reintroducing foods into your diet and note your response. This goal is a prep for that so I'm not going through the sugar shakes as I restrict EVERYTHING I'm eating. I think I'd go crazy.

I just wanted to put this all out there so that I'm being transparent. I didn't want to put breadcrumbs in my dinner and feel like I was hiding something from you if I didn't report it or count it against myself. That will be the next challenge ;)

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Hey to you as well, thanks for the special mention! Sounds like you kicked ass this week! Well done on you PB on your pull-ups. I am thinking of making a goal for pull-ups next challenge. Glad you are doing well with your carbs!

That program sounds really interesting, something more on going to identifying things could be super useful. The Whole 30 is about identifying allergies as well but that is more at the end of the 30 days where you introduce each you want to include one with a gap of a few days to see how it is affecting you and you honestly log it down to see how much it should be part of your diet (if you take a look my my spreadsheet you can see that I've laid out a vague plan.) 

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

The Whole 30 is about identifying allergies as well but that is more at the end of the 30 days where you introduce each you want to include one with a gap of a few days to see how it is affecting you and you honestly log it down to see how much it should be part of your diet (if you take a look my my spreadsheet you can see that I've laid out a vague plan.) 

Oh interesting! I didn't realize that was the same for the Whole 30; I'm certain you've mentioned that at some point and I read right over it. Obviously I need to do some more research :) Thanks for being an awesome resource!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Thanks Blackadder! Great name ;)

Thank's ;)

Great pullups job !!!

Keep going like that, awesome !!!

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Wow AgentK well done on your first two weeks thatIsomehowmanagedtomiss!! Keep on keepin' on :)

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

Hey!  How'd the exam go?  Hoping you were able to kick some butt on Saturday.  I'm rooting for you!

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Wow AgentK well done on your first two weeks thatIsomehowmanagedtomiss!! Keep on keepin' on :)

Ha! Thanks Abs!!!! 

Hey!  How'd the exam go?  Hoping you were able to kick some butt on Saturday.  I'm rooting for you!

Thanks Orc! It went well and it's DONE, so that's 75% of it ;) I should get my results in about 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

This weekend was a whirlwind. I am actually a little glad it's Monday! It was fun, though, so I can't complain. Sunday I even spent on a FARM! My co-worker has a family farm and she invited us all out to pick fruit vegetables, make homemade ice cream from peaches grown on the farm, and barbecue spare ribs, chicken, and sausage. It was all SO GOOD. And exhausting.

To quote my husband, "I would totally live on a farm. Except for all of the work." 

Despite the craziness, I still managed to do okay on my challenge goals. (But not great... I'm finding the dishwashing challenge to be THE HARDEST... I think I should've aimed for like 5/7 days or something...)

On Friday, I tried the pull-up machine at the gym again to see how it felt to do it properly. It was really interesting. I feel more effective working from my pull-up bar at home, but it was great to actually feel the motion of the follow-through on the way up. My weight was WAY too low, but it was the recommended starting weight, so I thought I'd try it out. I was a little sore the next day because it definitely moved muscles I don't normally use, especially because my arms were wider than I do at home, so that was cool. I'm thinking of throwing in the pull-up machine once a week, but I'm not gonna focus on it at all.  

Mass catch-up update below. 

Friday, August 9th

TENTACLE SNAPPING:   10 machine pull-ups (-20lbs my body weight)

SIREN SONG:                      MFP: All meals tracked;  Salad: Made;  Refined Carbs: 0  (1 / 3 challenge restaurant lunches)

SWAB THE DECK:             Sink not shined... (8 / 12 days)

REFINED CARBS:     M: 7 servings (ack); T: 3 servings; W: 1 serving; R: 0 servings F: 0 servings

Saturday, August 10th

TENTACLE SNAPPING:   7 negative pull-ups (yay!)

SIREN SONG:                      MFP: All meals tracked; Refined Carbs: 0  

SWAB THE DECK:             Sink not shined...again (8 / 13 days)

REFINED CARBS:     M: 7 servings (ack); T: 3 servings; W: 1 serving; R: 0 servings F: 0 servings; Sa: 0 servings

DRINKING DAYS:     2 / 3 

RESTAURANTS:        2 / 3

Sunday, August 11th

TENTACLE SNAPPING:   30 second hang; 4 pumps (pulled myself up as far as I can)

SIREN SONG:                      MFP: All meals tracked; Refined Carbs: 4.5 (free day)  

SWAB THE DECK:             Sink not shined...ack (8 / 14 days)

REFINED CARBS:     M: 7 servings (ack); T: 3 servings; W: 1 serving; R: 0 servings F: 0 servings; Sa: 0 servings; Su: 4.5

DRINKING DAYS:     3 / 3 

RESTAURANTS:        2 / 3

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

Mary Oliver

Last challenge, I found the hardest part was the goal to spend 10 minutes training myself to be a better dog trainer.  Sometimes, the thought of adding one more thing to the day, even something as simple as "swabbing the deck", can be just a little too frustrating.  Would it count if you cleaned it in the morning when you first wake up?  The only time I can actually clean my sink is when I am waiting for the coffee water to boil and I don't want to sit down again for fear of falling back asleep.

Level 5 Lizardfolk: Assassin STR - 4, DEX - 3, STA - 5, CON -4, WIS - 20, CHA - 12

"You want to know the difference between a master and a beginner? The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Current Challenge: "Idealistinfire's 2% Improvement Plan"     Battle Log: "Idealistinfire Battle's Saboteur's Spawn"                                

Epic Quest: No fancy name yet

you've had a good week, Kat.  I'm struggling with adding things to my normal routine too.  I think i might've added too much at one go, but  i know that if i keep pushing at it, it will eventually stick and then it will just be a one more thing i don't have to think about :)

Good luck with week 3

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Despite the craziness, I still managed to do okay on my challenge goals. (But not great... I'm finding the dishwashing challenge to be THE HARDEST... I think I should've aimed for like 5/7 days or something...)

I feel I should pass along some words of wisdom from my 3 year old daughter.  When she gets in trouble and loses one of her privileges (such as TV), after the crying and begging she stops looks at me and asks "But tomorrow's a new day?"  

Don't dwell on the days you didn't Swab the Deck, focus on tomorrow when you WILL Swab the Deck!!

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

Homemade ice cream using peaches from the farm? Oh. My. That is heaven. Way to cut down your refined carbs! I like the rules you made for yourself (little bits of breadcrumbs or flour is fine, just as long as it isn't the main ingredient). I also respect your honesty in explaining those rules to us. Not that we in NF land have to know everything about your diet, but explaining it shows Your commitment and personal accountability. Deeply impressed! 

As for Shining the Sink, do you avoid doing it because you hate doing the dishes, or is it time-related? 

I got a email from the Spartan race people yesterday.  Thought you might be interested too.  Basically they are holding a free workout on the 25th in San Francisco.  You even get a free tshirt ;)  http://spartanraceworkout.com/locations/08-25-13-san-francisco-ca.html

I know you are in the area, so I figured I'd let you know.  I might sign up for it, and get my sister to come down for it too.  I was worried that I am still too heavy and out of shape for it.  So I emailed them.  They said I should sign up :)  

You just do as much of the workout as you can. If there’s a movement you can’t do, modify it; if you need a break, take it. The most important thing is that you listen to your body - these workouts are meant for Spartans to come together, encourage each other & train.

So anyhow, keep kicking butt over here with the Rangers! :)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines