• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WildColonialGrrl

Never an iron on earth could hold the WildColonialGrrl: Chapter 3

This is mostly a place holder for the scribbly paper based mess that will become my Main Quest and goals. Right now, I'm fighting a virus that has had me feeling low (eating crap) and exceedingly tired (maybe a little feverish too).

I am going to go one more round with the adventurers as I'm not quite ready to let go the security blanket and join the rangers just yet.
Ok, here goes the edit...

Chapter 3:

Main Quest: Comfortably complete 100km bike ride. October 20th. 

100km%20Sorrento.jpg

I have never ridden this far before. My best this year has been 80km. In the long term I'd like to do the entire Round the bay in a day challenge but not this year!

My goals and motivation for this challenge are based around the title of a biography written by the greatest cyclist of the dodgy-est lying, cheating scumbag era there has been...

It's not about the bike.

...and it's not. Sure, I have every intention of buying a lighter bike more suited to these rides before I do this but that won't get me over the line. It's about me.

My training.

My nutrition.

My recovery.

Goal 1: My training.

I have a training plan. The last time I had a plan like this I did sweet FA of it and managed ok. I want to manage better than ok. This ride isn't as hilly as the last long one I did, but I want to enjoy it. That means serious preparation. Well, semi-serious at least. The total I am unlikely to reach is 23.

Complete 3/4 of first 6 weeks of training plan. 

>18 = STR 2 & STA 2         17 = 3         16 = 2.5       15 = 2       14 = 1.5       13 = 1       12 = 0.5 

Goal 2: My nutrition. CON 4 & WIS 1

The punitive system I had for this aspect of my last challenge really didn't work for me and the between challenge game over with the rangers got me thinking about why these have happened before... in order to prevent them happening again. So, the food choices remain the same. Good stuff - meat, veg, fruit, nuts, dark choc, dairy (not sweetened). Things that need attention: gluten, processed foods, sugar, alcohol, soft drinks, juice etc. You know the drill for trying to keep it a natural kind of clean...

Each time I eat something that requires attention, it must get it by answering the following questions.

Day, Date, Time

What did I eat:

What was I thinking:

Describe current feelings - Physical:

Describe current feelings - Emotional:

What was happening around me: 

Note any effects of the food: 

I suspect this is going to be a pain in the arse, which will make mindless eating of crap no longer mindless. Food I reaaaaally felt I needed will provide data for unlocking cue and reward systems with my eating habits thus allowing for improved challenges and success in the future. 

100% = CON 4 & WIS 1      90% = CON 4     80% = CON 3      70% = CON 2      60% = CON 1

My recovery.

Adding way more cycling to my usual routine of 2 x PT, 1 x TKD & 1 x Yoga will need some attention to recovery. I need to take more care of my muscles than I remember to currently to prevent the painful, groaning zombie walk on waking. 

Yoga / Stretch / Foam roll / bath or spa after (immediately or next morning after) most exercise sessions.

>30 = DEX 4       30 = 3      20 = 2     10 = 1 

SIDE QUESTs:

Me time Vs Screen time! 
Could be considered as part of recovery as both these lead to rest/sleep.

"School" nights 5/7:
9PM - electronic devices to sleep
11PM - absolute latest for TV (I don't actually watch a lot but I should prioritise sleep and use catch up if I really want to see whatever is on). This will be easier now the Tour de France is finished but still problematic with the Ashes (although the Aussies should be all out by the time I want to go to bed!!)

30 = 1 CHA for being well rested.

READ! 5/7 days
15 minutes minimum outside work for pleasure (newspaper/fiction/NF/comics all acceptable if paper based).

30 = 1 WIS for like smartness ya know?

There! Chapter 3 begun and publicly committed!!
Edited by WildColonialGrrl
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind wishes. Had a nice gentle walk today, not feeling as hot and bothered which may mean I'm not feverish any more. Still tired so taking it easy. Have managed to return to good eating today which may be a result of thinking all day about finalising, posting and committing to my goals. 

Here be where I store the details of my success or failure. I will however be sparing you, dear reader, the blather about what was I thinking when I put that chocolate teddy bear biscuit in my mouth and the effect it had on my gastrointestinal system. I'll just note if I had food needing attention whether it was written up.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar66xew6xrM4dDZvcVFINENocWdVTVRFc0hfcDNXZWc&usp=sharing

The trilogy train, nutrition, recovery. A well structured goal plan.

Go forth and cycle (well when you're feeling up to it).

Do you have a training buddy? Are you doing the ride with a friend or solo?

Do you have a training buddy? Are you doing the ride with a friend or solo?

Does not play well with others?

Am doing the ride solo, but may do a few week of longer rides with a friend who is much fitter than me whose hubby is working the next 5 Sundays. We did the Lilydale - Warburton rail trail return earlier this year the week after I'd done 75km. To get 80km on the clock we had to do a couple of laps of the carpark at the end!

Low energy PT tonight with stretches afterwards. Great tasting mini cupcake of obligation written up. Devices to bed in 10 mins. Then to a book and an early night. It's a start!

I would love to try the round the bay ride. I was getting into riding about 18 months to 2 years ago and every now and then doing a 50km ride with my younger fitter brother. Until I flew over the handle bars and broke my arm. I need to get back on now I think.

Your goals and steps seem pretty sound. Good luck with the challenge.

It's good to see what your eating and why.  If writing it down helps, then I think that's a great idea.  I would keep track mentally and it's sad that I eat for every damn reason a while back.  happy to celebrate, sad to drown it out, grazing if anxious, grazing if bored.

Writing it down. That's actually a great plan! Then you have to put at least twice more thought on it, right? While you're eating and while you're reminding and writing it down.

Good luck on your ride! I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem with it - specially with your undying determination! (And now I really want to learn to ride a bike.)

On your cold, have you tried ginger tea? Or ginger tea with cinnamon and cloves? Trust me, there's no cold that can stand that tea :D

A friendly bear hug!

I plan to do one of my 80km ride for this challenge by end to ending the Warby rail trail :)

I've ridden it plenty of times but never gone the whole way, but now is the time (and hopefully fitness level)

You seem to have had a good start to the challenge.

Jeez those mini cup cakes are good... worth the effort of writing down!

An hour indoors on the bike last night, devices to bed by 9 and in bed with a book by 9.30! 8 hours sleep and starting to come good again.

Hardest thing seems to be the putting devices away at 9pm so far... must have been a good choice of goal!

This weekend I want to try riding my bike with my new clip in shoes but am terrified of it all ending badly. Need to find a stretch of track with bushes I can fall into comfortably when I need to get off! Getting better practicing whilst it is hooked into the trainer but not confident that I wont stack it the first time! I usually prop on my left leg but find it harder to undo the clips on that leg with the direction it pulls my bad knee in.

Woo hoo, click-clack shoes (that's what I call them). Now your a real cyclist. My friend is trying to convince me to try them. I think they'd be ok for my ride to work, be ause I only ha. To stop in a few places(train crossing etc) but I'd be scarred to use them on the road.

Is there anyway to adjust them to avoid irritating your knee.

You will love the click clack shoes out on the road, they are a great help. The hairiest moment is after a good stretch like 10 minutes or so without having to stop then coming to a red light or something and just spacing it. I am sure you will be fine. Fingers crossed for some of this sunny weather on the weekend.

Good choices at the pub last night for a friends birthday dinner. Steak with mushroom sauce, salad and a small amount of chips. Soda water to drink. More cupcakes before I went out but they made me feel icky in the stomach, so no more today.

Half terrified, half excited about road testing my click clack shoes (love that name) this weekend. Last night, when asked for advice, a friend said "you'll fall off, everyone falls off, don't worry about it".

Doing fine with the tv if struggling with the device turn off. Might change with next Ashes test starting tonight... Stretching with exercise going well too but am one behind with not exercising last night.

Getting around 8 hours of sleep a night is quite an effort but am feeling so much better than I was last week! Sunny days are helping too I suspect!

I as given the same advice - you WILL fall over, then you'll get used to it.

I'd struggle with no devices after 9! If you prioritise sleep, then hopefully the device time will sort itself out.

Clean eating day Thursday. Happy with that. Emotional evening so didn't get everything to rights but it will be ok to catch up. Been reading heaps at work so not interested when I got home last couple of nights.

Lots of free NOM noms at work at lunchtime. Did not eat the sandwiches or party pies or rolls but I did have a couple of small hawaiian pizza squares. My will power was broken by the choices available :( Still cutting down is the key I guess.

In the month of July I have varied upwards in my weight again but lost more cm on the torso. Pretty happy if that can keep happening.

I just realized that I wake up every morning, read through all the threads and then think to myself that I'll come back to reply. Somehow I've missed making it back around to reply here. Looks like a decent week so far! Hope the click clack shoes go well for you! 

Week 1 Wrap up

Ride: 3 bike workouts done for the week. 2 on the indoor trainer for an hour and outside today 25km over an hour and a half dodging families on the bike path along the Yarra river and Mullum Mullum creek. Averaged 16kmph, mostly catching up on the down hills. 

The click clack shoes are awesome for going up hills but may not have them in quite the right positions as the sides of my feet go a bit numb. Better than painful though. Took another friends advice about consciously unclipping when I might have to stop like road crossings and lights. That worked, I didn't fall over at all. Still not very good at clipping in and out and shaking it all about... That will come with time I guess. 

Rest: On target for the devices to bed, recovering well from virus with sleep a priority. 

Reading: On target but despite it being fiction I wanted to read, it is directly related to my work. Possibly why I love my job sometimes! 

Recovery is one behind after a very emotional reaction to a gym session resulting in tears befo bedtime, but hope to catch up soon. 

Nutrition: has been better at this end of the week. Things I haven't been logging but am noting are carbs like potato and rice. Haven't been noting dark chocolate but will try to cut it back this week as, although allowed in my game with no ill effects, I ate more than usual on an emotional wave. But then I wonder which is more sugary rasins or dark choc? Both eaten with nuts to get the protein, fat and fullness feeling but probably on equal terms nutritionally.

Mini-challenge 1: Got my goals up and motivation written onto calendars for August (should attach some pics ASAP). +1 WIS

Mini-challenge 1b: Got amongst it and joined the Level Up Down Under acountibilibuddies and made some new friends on both the Adventurers and Newbies guilds. +1 CHA

Winning so far. This is a big period of change in my life and it is having some interesting emotional effects. It is great to have this stable community of support behind me here on NF. Love youse all!

Yay!

Congrats on your mini-challenge(s)! And, of course, on this week, it sounds like you did truly great!

I really like reading your updates, because they really inspire me to try to do better and better.

Have a great week!

A friendly bear hug!