• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WildColonialGrrl

Never an iron on earth could hold the WildColonialGrrl: Chapter 3

Ummm... So I dead lifted 105kg twice but couldn't take the 110kg up cleanly... Soon though I reckon. So maybe, I am strong already.

I want to be stronger!

Or to quote Daft Punk - harder, better, faster, stronger!!

Wow! That's a nice deadlift! I will take stronger with a belly over skinny fat any day! That Daft Punk song is my alarm clock song at 5 am every morning.   :lol:

Great going with the deadlift!  My future 'other' goal in a challenge thread is to make a weight rack and get into that.  It just seems like such a staple exercise for people that I feel I'm missing out.

Great going with the deadlift!  My future 'other' goal in a challenge thread is to make a weight rack and get into that.  It just seems like such a staple exercise for people that I feel I'm missing out.

I think you could start with what you have... I started with what I have heard called shopping bag dead lifts. Two heavy things at your side (dumbells, sand bags, kettle bells, water containers etc.) pick them up, stand up, put them down, feel the pain the next day.

Sun is out! Time to get out of bed and go exploring on my bike!!

Quick update done badly om phone before movie...

Had 2glasses.of tasty red wine last night. felt bad then - noteworthy. ate the desert despite being full enough - so uncomfortable after decent dinner decision. maybe my stomach shrinking... sure i used to manage more than that. not complaining!

good choices all day today. 73km ride around Canberra. chatted to people, saw cool stuff. struggled after 55km and more so with added headwind. fell over on click blacks again but there's a story in that...

Saw Turner exhibition from the Tate at the National gallery and tomorrow may take a look at the National Dinosaur museum ln my way home!

good choices all day today. 73km ride around Canberra. chatted to people, saw cool stuff. struggled after 55km and more so with added headwind. fell over on click blacks again but there's a story in that...

Story? We demand details!

This week in Chapter 3...

Recovery: if I do something tonight, I'll be on target. Bath, ice knee or foam roller?

Recovery side goals: TV off +2, Devices off -2 :/ definitely noticing the difference to sleep though.

Reading +4 :)

Nutrition: Learning lots. All things and their effects logged.

Adventurers Mini Challenge 3: Tried new things. Quinoa - ok. Still not a fan of tuna, tried two flavours. Chicken in a can is wrong but tastes better than tuna for a quick protein based meal (and is a million times better than maccas!). I also did some experimenting with crumbed chicken... Almond meal -yes Coconut flour -no. Egg wash, better. Spices etc, yes. Bake or shallow fry -either. CON +1 :)

Training: like many women I struggle to keep up the exercise momentum pre shark week. I am good at keeping appointments, so I go to PT and any classes I am into at the time but the cycle training I do by myself falls by the wayside. Down 2 :( Something to think about...

Got my most important ride in for the week and the body coped ok. Bum not too sore - time to change the saddle during rest week for racing saddle. Legs and knee ok but struggled after the 55km mark especially with the head wind by then. I guess that is the point of training... Keep making it harder. It doesn't get easier but you get better... So they say! Looking forward to just 25kms this week though.

Can't upload the screen shot of my ride but here is the narrative version...

I was staying in an outlying suburb/mini town called Woden. All Canberra places are outlying but the bike tracks are awesome. So I rode down to the big lake getting lost just a little at first. This is pretty normal for my adventurous bike rides... Found my track and was making great time on the first lap. Turned the corner and found that the wind had been behind me. Can't blame the wind for my injuries though...

I got lost again, taking a wrong turn near the National Museum. The track ran out and I asked a random bloke if he knew how I could get back to the path. He pointed out a bit of single track style dirt path and said that would take me back it there were a couple of obstacles. Dear Reader, you already know about my new click clack shoes and how they keep me attached to the bike even as it falls over. So, you'd think after he said that and I looked at the rough track I would have unclipped at least one foot. Nope. She'll be right! And off I go...

Roots and rubble no probs... Rocks ahead? Looks tricky, try to unclip... Too close to rock... Unbalance as I try to unclip to put a foot down and go over the other way into a bit of broken branch still attached to the bike. Ouch. No blood, but a scratched elbow, bruised inner thigh and an interesting mark at least 20cm on my back. It looks like a scratch in the mirror but it's a bit hard to tell. Ah well, that was about 20km in. Keep going and find the proper path next time around!

Stopped for coffee and a snack and chatted with some lovely cyclists. Kept on and into the wind and a random old bloke started chatting to me on the bike. He was way fitter than me and we had a nice conversation. I found the older riders inspiring. I want to be fit and active in 20 years but to get there I need to start now! [side bar - had a chat with my mum the day before about my awesome deadlift and she said it was great I was starting to get strong now. She has osteoporosis. Then she said maybe she should look into lifting when they get back from travelling. I said it's never too late and I would introduce her to my PT for a program!!]

So on I peddled. Trying a different route around a little peninsula without incident and getting around the museum on the right track! You can see these on the picture I haven't been able to load... Flatness is amazing. My average speed even with the headwind countering the tail wind was a smidge over 17km/h. I think my normal riding in a hilly area is probably good for me... Who needs intervals when there are hills! I stopped more in the last 20km and chatted with some other lovely people asking to share the bench I was sagging on in the sun. The weather was gorgeous. Cool but sunny.

Jens Voigt says to himself "shut up legs". I spent many kilometres muttering "shut up back"! Possibly partly from the fall, partly as it was still sore from the dead lifts and mostly because it is not strong enough to hold me in that bent over position for 4+ hours.

Rode back to the hotel with the wind behind me, stretched in a hot shower, wandered along to the gallery and then went to see a movie. I recommend The Heat, laughed so hard I snorted!

Am now returned from my long weekend away. Managed to rally enough troops to keep an eye on my grandmother so I could enjoy the time away without the guilt I was expecting to feel. My cat is thankfully forgiving.

My PT is up at the snow for a bit this week so I get an extra Taekwondo class in tomorrow. Handy if I want to be ready for another grading mid September!!

Long enough for yas?

Being happy with who and how you are right now, and understanding that you'll keep liking yourself when you change for better is a wonderful and very important thing. I nearly forgot this once, and it was awful. Glad to see this is on your mind too :)

Don't feel down about not-the-best food choices. Every mistake is a learning, right?

And congratulations for your great bike adventures! :D

A friendly bear hug!

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend!

Every time I read stuff on here I realize that it's sad I don't know how to ride a bike.... Next summer I'm learning- hold me to it. :)

Ha me too. I'm really embarrassed about it because EVERYONE in Sweden knows how to ride a bike. I haven't been on one since I was a kid and I'm really scared to go out in public, especially in traffic. But at some point I will suck it up and learn. Would ya hold me to it as well? :)

Got someone to take a photo of my latest bike related injury as it is so far around my back that I wasn't sure what exactly I'd done to it! You probably don't need to see it, but would be novice cyclists should note that I haven't had this many falls in the last decade as I have in this challenge alone! Falling off, or as I have been doing falling over still attached to the bike, isn't that bad. Kids do it all the time, dust themselves off and keep going. The adrenaline from a stack actually seems to help my poor old body forget about its other aches and pains for a while. No, really, you should all learn to ride a bike. It is made of pure awesome!

Long distance well anything is not really my thing, so I'd never be a super biker like you. Too much sitting on my ass haha. But for urban exploring and as a means of transportation bikes are great. I'm actually not particularly afraid of falling off but of cars and people. And dogs. And any other unforeseen obstacles. But I will learn, it has been a sore point for a while now :)

Just read through your thread, sounds like you've been having some amazing adventures on your bike. I am hoping to get back on mine at some point, maybe that is something to work on next challenge! Hope your body isn't feeling to bruised and glad to hear you are still carrying on regardless of your falls!

Well done on the deadlift as well that is amazing! Sounds like you've been having a lot of fun with your goals, keep it up!

Chocolate.

Not sure what caused the sugar bender, not too epic but lots of just one more... Will need to think on this. Emotional or physical or combination? Didn't have the shark week choc out but maybe it has caught up with me at the tail end. Dunno, dunno.

Feel like steak now! Odd.

I wish it had been a tail wind...

Been a bit crook and the antibiotics are now kicking in. Caught it before it got too bad on the lungs but spring gave me a big reminder about managing allergies with nasty sinusitis.

Was really fuzzy headed for conference Sunday Monday on top of not eating well. Tried to rest up during the week but couldn't clear the muck before the infection set in :(

So I haven't recorded much, I haven't been doing much so recovery has been prioritising sleep, cycling is way behind but I continue to learn about the way food makes my body feel.

Will do a proper write up at some point soon. Yoga this morning and I have a massage in an hour! Beautiful sunny, warm weather here though not sure if I will ride my bike tomorrow or just take a more gentle approach and go for a long walk.

Will catch up on your threads soon!

"Now is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is perhaps the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

I saw this quote this today and it resonated.

I love feeling strong, always have, and now I not only feel strong but I can see my muscles developing. I finally look at skinny women exercising and think 'that is NOT what I want'. I don't want to be skinny, I want to be strong. This realisation has only come about in the last couple of weeks. In the last month I have gained weight but I don't care because I can lift heavy things and have lost 2cm on my middle. I measured this morning because when I got up my pyjama pants fell down.

I haven't felt this good about my body in quite some time. This might sound crazy, but I don't feel fat right now. Sure I have fat and it covers more of me than I want it to, but the slow progress I'm making feels good. My body is not like anyone else's. It is shaped differently and always will be. Comparing it to other shapes is silly.

The changes I have made to my diet and the observation of my reaction to food has started some serious thinking. I don't need to "diet" in a punitive way, I need to eat food that makes me feel good. Turns out this is minimal refined sugar and next to no gluten (fancy that!). I don't have to live with reflux and gas and worse on a regular basis, it's just not necessary. That said, if I REALLY want a bit of cake or something, there is no reason I shouldn't have a little as I know how it will make me feel if I over do it. Ok, I still have some work to do here, but it's a start I am happy with.

Maybe all this feeling is the result of a few warm days and antibiotics kicking in... But I feel like maybe this IS the end of the beginning. I know I need to have a serious trial of gluten free eating but I'm not sure what else is next... Except Summer (and buying a new bike)!

"This might sound crazy, but I don't feel fat right now."

I keep feeling like that too.  I have a long way to go but I think just the mentality change, eating right, and dropping some weight so far just makes me FEEL like I'm a different person, although it doesn't show that much.  Glad to know you're doing better.  Usually once the mind stubbornly rights itself, the rest is to follow. 

For decades, losing weight always felt like it was my fighting my brain and stomach every day.  I had to activly tell myself 'no' and I had to physically take deep breaths and walk away from food; the whole time hearing a nagging in the back of my mind.  I would beat myself up if I finally caved in and had junk food, and I would beat myself up if I even had a 'bad' thought about food. "God you're so pathetic; you just CAN'T stop thinking about the kitkat bars in the candy bowl next door? what the f**** is wrong with you?  Get a life you loser"   It was very self-defeating but it never really felt there was another way. 

I'm losing weight SLOWLY but I know it's the right way, and I have a better relationship with food.  It's not this dangerous line that I'm teetering. I just feel ok if I have a cheat meal, and I eat right the rest of the time.  Nothing particularly hard about it when you look at it.  It's all in the mind that's challenging. 

I've seen so much positivity on these forums, and knowing that everyone is struggling makes it seem more manageable.  It helped break up that self-loathing black corner in my mind.

So good for you that it clicked and I'm proud of you and everyone else on here :)

Missed you this past week. Glad you are feeling better. I think it's great that you are feeling so much better about yourself. I'm experiencing the same thing and it's a great feeling. I have only lost a few pounds but I'm finding all new clothes in my closet that I can wear again or some even for the first time. We got this!