• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GingaNinja

KingLeeroy's Castle Of Grind

After a life on indulgence in my castle and evil sorcerer had taken over, thrown me in the dungeon and filled the castle with traps and creatures. After busting out of the dungeon and working my way through the first floor of castle of grind. I had battled dark thoughts and food cravings. I learned some things about setting goals and feel a bit healthier, but still have a long way to go! I think about Level 50, what lurks there? Maybe there are clues to figure out along the way? Right now it is time to focus on getting to Level 3, by fighting more rats and big spiders, eating random turkey legs that are lying around in chandeliers to become healthier and stronger.

Thanks for visiting my challenge!

I'm Leeroy, I live in Edinburgh and I'm 25. I'm an Illustrator (here is my website) and a bar worker. My last challenge went pretty well but there is much room for improvement! I have been suffering with depression for a long time, I finally started tackling that. I also want to get back in shape after I lost a lot of strength and gained a bit of fat from breaking my leg and having lots of complications. I want to feel kick ass again.

post-18025-0-85267600-1374998463_thumb.jpost-18025-0-91098700-1374998478_thumb.j

Starting Stats: STR-3, DEX-2 STA-2.5 CON-4 WIS-5 CHA-4.5

Starting measurements Height: 166cm, Hips: 103cm, Waist: 88cm, Neck: 42.5cm, Bicep: 35 cm, Left thigh:71cm, Bodyfat %: 32.66

Post Whole30 measurements: Height: 166cm, Hips: 101cm, Waist: 85.5cm, Neck: 40cm, Bicep: 34 cm, Left thigh: 70cm, Bodyfat %: 31.39

My Main Quest

Lose 10% body fat:  I hope to achieve this by my birthday October 12th, though that is maybe a bit ambitious, I am going to give it my all. I am also going to a wedding party in September and would like my clothes to feel better in the clothes I own again

1. Get my cravings under control with a Whole 30: CON 5I have been making a lot of progress but a few months ago I considered myself to have a fairly moderate binge eating disorder. I'm a lot better I eat mostly a paleo/primal diet again and I feel OK, but I still feel big cravings and want to see if I can change my approach to food.

A: Complete the whole 30 without starting over B: Starting over once C: Starting over twice D: Slip up on first non-whole 30 days. F: Completely give up/fail.

2. Do beginners bodyweight workout 2 times a week and attend my physio class each week. STR3/STA 2 I used to do a lot of bodyweight stuff and I got super strong, I was doing burpees and allsorts. Now I need to be more careful on my ankle, this also means I will keep up with my physio exercises. I will do push-ups on my knees though. I also have physio classes I struggle to get motivated for but are really important to get my leg back to health. I will track my workouts on fitocracy, make sure to follow me if you use it, nice to have more friends on there!

A: Do all 18 Workouts B: 12+ workouts C: 9+ workouts D: 6+ workouts F: -6 Workouts

3. Walk for 5 minutes in the morning. STA 2 I tend to get up and shuffle straight to my laptop but I should walk more again. I live in Edinburgh, it's a small city and before my break I used to walk everywhere. I used to walk for miles and miles most days of the week but now I need to build up my Stamina again and building a habit of walking around the neighbourhood. A bit of fresh air will clear my head and help me wake my leg up for the day.

A: 5 times for 6 weeks B: 5 time 4 weeks or more C: 5 times 2 weeks or more D: 5 times 1 week or more: F: Not manage 5 times in any weeks.

Life Quest

Spend an 20 minutes at my desk concentrating on drawing three times a week: WIS 3 Shut off the laptop, turn on my ipod and just try to draw things, come up with ideas for projects or just doodle. I've not been doing enough of this in the last 2 years since I left uni and one of my main life goals is to rent a studio, I need to try working at home more at first. I will upload some of my results on to my blog

A: Complete 18 times B: Complete 12+ times C: Complete 9+ times D: Complete 6+ times F: -6 times

How does this sound? Any ideas how to better split up the grading system? Hope that you all get what you want from your challenges

Here is a wee spreadsheet I made to track my progress https://docs.google....ZEE&usp=sharing

Motivation

I have a love hate relationship with my body, I think I like myself but I've always has issues with my weight and how it effects me emotionally. Up until this last year I was a fair bit smaller, I was a UK 14 which I guess is about a US 10-12? Now all my clothes fit me a bit to snug and I bought jeans two sizes bigger because the size below is still a bit snug. I feel really self-conscious when I walk down the street, I put myself down a lot, I feel like I can't achieve all I want in life. I want that to change.

post-18025-0-67760100-1374998553_thumb.j

The picture beneath my note is the front of an artists book where she quotes Walt Whitman

"Long have you timidly waded holding a plank by the shore, now I will you to be a bold swimmer, to jump into the midst of the sea, rise again, nod to me and shout and laughingly dash with your hair"

Completed Mini Challenges:

1: Think! +1 WIS

1B: Guildie +1 CHA

2: 1,2,3 4 +1 STR

3. Green eggs and ham +1 CON

4. Cat in the hat  +1 WIS

Thank You Abs! I still have details to add, going to take photos and measurements today! I need to put up my motivation as well which I am trying with little success to put into a sentence or two. I will make sure to check in with you on your thread. :)

Monday tomorrow, exciting!  

Your challenge looks good! :) Tackling depression is a good decision, and I'm sure that fixing your diet and drawing will help you overcome it. I visited your website, and your style is recognizable and charming : D Hope to see more from you in the future!

I'm having some sort of coding problems, too... Maybe they're doing some changes to the forum?

Story remind me of one of those adventure games :)

I hope the Whole 30 really does me good this challenge.  Great goals.  I was just telling someone the other day I was thinking of picking up a sketch pad just so I can start doing some doodles or something.  Just to see if I can get back into drawing.

Completed all of my challenges today, but ended up being really tired in the afternoon. I did two rounds of BBW and was exhausted. My injury has meant I have become really unfit, I ended up missing my short shift at work becasue my energy just went out in the afternoon, I even took a nap. Now I am wide awake and it's 11.30pm here. Any suggestions?  I don't really want to decrease the workout but I also don't want ti to mean I can't do anything else.

Your challenge looks good! :) Tackling depression is a good decision, and I'm sure that fixing your diet and drawing will help you overcome it. I visited your website, and your style is recognizable and charming : D Hope to see more from you in the future!

I'm having some sort of coding problems, too... Maybe they're doing some changes to the forum?

Thanks and I am glad you like the work, I am hoping to start doing some more projects soon, hopefully the challenge will kick start me again!

Story remind me of one of those adventure games :)

I hope the Whole 30 really does me good this challenge.  Great goals.  I was just telling someone the other day I was thinking of picking up a sketch pad just so I can start doing some doodles or something.  Just to see if I can get back into drawing.

Haha, I guess that is what I was going for! Did you complete the whole 30? Now turn to page 10. :)

Yeah I am hoping it will do something for me as well, at the very least I hope it helps me get back down so I can wear most of my clothes again! Good luck with Whole 30 as well amd hope you do start drawing again, it's good for the soul. :)

Resolving to try is a huge step.  Depression can hold you back and sap your energy - it's a good sign that you want to try!

And I have been told (hope it's true) that ANY physical activity is better than sitting on your petoot.  So if you do your pushups from your knees, it's better than not doing them at all.  As you grow stronger hopefully you will be able to do more.

Good luck and thanks for the inspiration!

Good Luck King Leeroy!!!! Best of luck to you in this challenge! <3

Violet <3 <3 Thank you, good to see you thank you for stopping by! Are you challenging it up this time?

Resolving to try is a huge step.  Depression can hold you back and sap your energy - it's a good sign that you want to try!

And I have been told (hope it's true) that ANY physical activity is better than sitting on your petoot.  So if you do your pushups from your knees, it's better than not doing them at all.  As you grow stronger hopefully you will be able to do more.

Good luck and thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks Legolady and thanks for stopping by :) great name by the way! I am totally with you on the doing them on my knees I have am still recovoring ankle injury at the mo so it is a lot of pressure on my toes. I totally have sore thighs from lunges though, they where never part of my workout, squats all the way!

On anotyher note, I was told it would happen but I didn't think it would happen so soon, supposedly on whole 30 you start dreaming about eating unhealthy food, I woke up feeling guilty this morning and it took me a while to realise I didn't actully eat them!

Have you asked you physio for other exercises you can do that wont overly strain your ankle? Although I find push ups challenging enough on my knees! 

Loved the story and I'm sure you'll be kicking ass again soon!

Arilian, good advice, I give that to people often! I broke my ankle last year and I had complications. I had another operation on it on March. The bone and joint are looking great though, it is just the skin around that needs to settle down, it is mostly swelling up when I walk a lot or stand for long periods of time.

Ladywitch, cheers, I have physio and she is really happy with my progress, I have exercises I do everyday, now it is just the case of building my endurance in my leg, I spoke to her about the types of exercise I've been doing in the past and she said it was OK to do them. She has enrolled me in some classes at the physio clinic to do a set of exercises.

I take it easy a lot of the time and know when to stop and when I can push harder, I don't get much pain any more just my energy wipes out quickly from being unfit, hoping improving my diet will help with that as well!

Thanks for the suggestions guys, seems we are all on the same page :)

Hi!   Good work on the goals, I feel like I'm playing catchup since I started a day late!

Love the motivation, I'll sort mine later tonight and post it.  So excited to be starting another 6 week challenge!!

Hi!   Good work on the goals, I feel like I'm playing catchup since I started a day late!

Love the motivation, I'll sort mine later tonight and post it.  So excited to be starting another 6 week challenge!!

Yeah, I kind of ended up making mine around Wednesday so I had a head start, that is why I look so organised. I only added the pictures and stuff on Monday! 

Thanks for visiting and thanks for the kind wishes :)

So I have done well with my goals for the first couple of days. Gave it my all in exercise (Oh god I am sore), made some tasty food and walked, did some doodling yesterday but just things around in the room to get me doing something. Today I also had a physio class which involved some balance/body weight stuff and a bit of cardio. I feel like I need to adjust my exercise goal a little, but I am going to rest tomorrow for a while and maybe do some house work.

I made a breakfast of loch trout fillet on a bed of salad, lunch of roasted a chicken and had the breast with roast parsnips and some salad leaves and I made something like heuvos rancheros but made with some minced beef, tinned tomatoes, some other veg and eggs cracked in. Then I had some of those components in reverse today. Tasty, not been having any major crashes yet, I guess that is because I was already eating fairly primal.Though I could have it all wrong and it will hit me like a ton of bricks soon enough.

Great goals and beginning of the challenge KingLeeroy!

I love that you are doing the Whole 30. I'm reading about Tateman's challenge too, and I'm getting inspired to consider that in a future challenge. 

I'm also looking to loose body fat (I need to measure myself this week, but I think around 8%). Looking forward to reading about your journey!

I really liked your goals and how you decided to measure them, I always have problem with this part. 

I don't know if I mentioned it last time but I think you are really brave (and strong) by being upfront about your depression and the fact you are actually doing something.

About your energy levels, I think that as your body is adjusting to the exercise you are getting tired, but with time it will get better.

So, you live in Edinburgh? I went there a few years ago while I was doing a English course in England and totally fell in love with the city. I hope to get back soon...

The loch trout sounds yummy! I'm glad your first couple of days are going well. And make sure you do have those rest days, not to many of them but they are nessesary. I like to leave marks on my body on a regular bases so I know the feeling of recovering.

Have you thought about making any of the BBQ sauce, dressings or mayo from the whole 30 stuff?  I bought stuff today to try to make a decent whole 30 balsamic vinaigrette tomorrow.  Might make some mayo to use for making BBQ sauce for my chicken breasts and such.

Great goals and beginning of the challenge KingLeeroy!

I love that you are doing the Whole 30. I'm reading about Tateman's challenge too, and I'm getting inspired to consider that in a future challenge. 

I'm also looking to loose body fat (I need to measure myself this week, but I think around 8%). Looking forward to reading about your journey!

Thanks Katia! Yeah I hear a lot of good things about the Whole 30 and I am glad I discovered it recently because it seems to fit into a challenge well! Thanks again for stopping by I will keep popping over to rangers to see how you are getting on :) 

I really liked your goals and how you decided to measure them, I always have problem with this part. 

I don't know if I mentioned it last time but I think you are really brave (and strong) by being upfront about your depression and the fact you are actually doing something.

About your energy levels, I think that as your body is adjusting to the exercise you are getting tired, but with time it will get better.

So, you live in Edinburgh? I went there a few years ago while I was doing a English course in England and totally fell in love with the city. I hope to get back soon...

Yeah I wasn't really sure how to set them out but I copied some other people and I am fairly happy with them, might still edit a few things! 

Thank you for that Joana! I think having such a kind  and supportive bunch of people on NF like yourself means it's easier for me to talk about things like depression. The challenges make it easier to putting steps into place to help change the things I'm unhappy with!

If you are ever coming to Edinburgh, hit me up we can hang out! 

The loch trout sounds yummy! I'm glad your first couple of days are going well. And make sure you do have those rest days, not to many of them but they are nessesary. I like to leave marks on my body on a regular bases so I know the feeling of recovering.

The trout was good, but I wish I had done something a bit more interesting with it as it wasn't as tasty as when I had previously had it. Aye, I don't want to take to many rest days I still want to try for 3 workouts this week but I may change one to a long walk rather than body weight, we will see! Thank you :) 

Have you thought about making any of the BBQ sauce, dressings or mayo from the whole 30 stuff?  I bought stuff today to try to make a decent whole 30 balsamic vinaigrette tomorrow.  Might make some mayo to use for making BBQ sauce for my chicken breasts and such.

I bought some French's mustard yesterday and tried making mayo with a hand blender like in a video I saw, but I didn't use correct measurements, it ended up a bit like a cream though but still tastes like mayo so I am using it more like a runny dressing in a way! Balsamic and Olive oil are my go to salad dressings anyway, I may mix in some French's but I dunno how it will taste, I am a big fan of Dijon unfortunately can't seem to find any that are suitable.

Not made and BBQ type things, or anything. I was thinking of trying to make a marinade for some pork I have but not idea what to make it from, if you have any suggestions! 

Whole 30 seems to be a popular program this challenge, seeing it all over the place. As I've made attempts to focus on Paleo (on and off) for the past few years I've discovered that there's some really awesome stuff you can make that uses better ingredients, and also alternatives for things that just kick ass. Cauliflower has become a favored ingredient for stuff as it can replace all sorts of grains (in fact I'm hoping to make some sushi that uses cauliflower "rice"). Love the story and the goals, looking forward to seeing how you do this time!

Whole 30 seems to be a popular program this challenge, seeing it all over the place. As I've made attempts to focus on Paleo (on and off) for the past few years I've discovered that there's some really awesome stuff you can make that uses better ingredients, and also alternatives for things that just kick ass. Cauliflower has become a favored ingredient for stuff as it can replace all sorts of grains (in fact I'm hoping to make some sushi that uses cauliflower "rice"). Love the story and the goals, looking forward to seeing how you do this time!

I made a cauliflower mash last time.  Was going to try a whole 30 friendly version this time around.  Also wanted to try making it like rice.  Then I could do a stir fry type meal.

I love cauliflower mash, it's a brilliant dish. I'm not sure what the Whole 30 restrictions are, but it's a fun dish to make. Mine was a head of cauliflower, an avocado, and some spices of your choice and tastiness, I accidentally created an offshoot I call Caulislaw by adding in two dragon fruit, yummy stuff.