• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GingaNinja

KingLeeroy's Castle Of Grind

Leeroy, definitely keep us posted on your thoughts on Whole 30. I'm really curious.

Also, I didn't mention it earlier, but I love your goal of shutting everything down to draw. A friend of mine IRL has been a big advocate for unplugging (or at least unplugging from the Internet and email) in the evenings and on weekends, and while your goal is about creativity and productivity and expression, it reminds me of this. I'm looking forward to seeing what your response is.

Whole 30 seems to be a popular program this challenge, seeing it all over the place. As I've made attempts to focus on Paleo (on and off) for the past few years I've discovered that there's some really awesome stuff you can make that uses better ingredients, and also alternatives for things that just kick ass. Cauliflower has become a favored ingredient for stuff as it can replace all sorts of grains (in fact I'm hoping to make some sushi that uses cauliflower "rice"). Love the story and the goals, looking forward to seeing how you do this time!

Yeah, I was eating a more Primal Blueprint diet on and off and kind of 80/20 before the challenge. I might consider picking up more brocolli and cauli soon, but it doesn't sit well with my boyfriends stomach so I don't get it often! I think I made that cauliflower rice once or twice and it turned out pretty well! I think I am just lazy though and like to have just a big bowl of chilli though :D it would be good for getting more vegetables in though!

Here is a link to some marinades for pork.  A variety of ingredients and taste options.  Let us know if any of these work for you!

http://simple-nourished-living.com/2011/06/14-favorite-pork-tenderloin-pork-chop-marinade-recipes/

Thanks for that marinade Lego lady, it looks great! I love soy sauce I will maybe try it when I am off the whole 30 as I am not allowed a lot of stuff on it. I did find this one though! http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/herb-marinated-pork-chops/

I made a cauliflower mash last time.  Was going to try a whole 30 friendly version this time around.  Also wanted to try making it like rice.  Then I could do a stir fry type meal.

Nom Nom! This is a great idea actually, I love stir fry and I usually just do the veg and meat in the wok and do some noodles for my boyfriend who doesn't eat the same as me. Have you found any good alternatives for a sauce? 

Leeroy, definitely keep us posted on your thoughts on Whole 30. I'm really curious.

Also, I didn't mention it earlier, but I love your goal of shutting everything down to draw. A friend of mine IRL has been a big advocate for unplugging (or at least unplugging from the Internet and email) in the evenings and on weekends, and while your goal is about creativity and productivity and expression, it reminds me of this. I'm looking forward to seeing what your response is.

I will definitely do that, so far I am not having a rough time with it apart from feeling fairly low energy, I think I am benefiting from already having a semi paleo/primal diet. I will try to keep a bit more of a track of it day by day for other people's benefit! 

Edit: Here is a google doc I made that I will try to keep updated with my progress. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhNefLqLL26_dFJGb1ZRcXJxMzJkT0lUeUt6NzYyZEE&usp=sharing

Great that you're doing a spreadsheet, as you can probably tell from my signature (I think it's still in there) I've got different sheets for each thing I'm tracking (there's even ones that aren't in the signature). Hopefully you can win you boyfriend over into a cleaner diet, having tried eating healthier around my fiancee that wasn't eating as well I can say from experience that it's hard, especially if you don't stay on target. Good Luck!

Nom Nom! This is a great idea actually, I love stir fry and I usually just do the veg and meat in the wok and do some noodles for my boyfriend who doesn't eat the same as me. Have you found any good alternatives for a sauce? 

I haven't tried it yet (mostly because I couldn't find it in a store)  Coconut Aminos are suppose to be a good substitute for soy sauce.  Amazon has some online I can order.  Not sure if they are available in your area.

Found a couple of recipes

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10313-stir-fry-sauce/

http://whole9life.com/2010/07/steal-this-meal-a-wok-tastic-stir-fry/

Also looking at the book they have a 10 minute chili recipe I might have to try too.

I feel the same as you I think on the Whole 30 so far.  I'm not bouncy with sudden energy or anything.  In the book it talks about how it might just take some time.  I just hope not too long ;)

I don't knowabout the whole 30 but I have spaghetti and excellent way to share food with people who want noodles and super easy to make. You can eat it without noodles or make spaghetti squash for noddles. I have my sister who hate squash eating it because it's actually quite good that way. :)

Great that you're doing a spreadsheet, as you can probably tell from my signature (I think it's still in there) I've got different sheets for each thing I'm tracking (there's even ones that aren't in the signature). Hopefully you can win you boyfriend over into a cleaner diet, having tried eating healthier around my fiancee that wasn't eating as well I can say from experience that it's hard, especially if you don't stay on target. Good Luck!

Yeah I just made it yesterday but I will probably edit it a bit. Wow that is a lot of spreadsheet tracking! I don't know if I am that organised :D I have a private blog that I record my pictures and measurements on though.

My boyfriend eats pretty well and I do a lot of cooking so we often eat the same meals he just eats more grains than I do, he is super lean and struggles to put on weight, I've linked him to some NF articles and he is interested in tackling it eventually.

I haven't tried it yet (mostly because I couldn't find it in a store)  Coconut Aminos are suppose to be a good substitute for soy sauce.  Amazon has some online I can order.  Not sure if they are available in your area.

Found a couple of recipes

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/10313-stir-fry-sauce/

http://whole9life.com/2010/07/steal-this-meal-a-wok-tastic-stir-fry/

Also looking at the book they have a 10 minute chili recipe I might have to try too.

I feel the same as you I think on the Whole 30 so far.  I'm not bouncy with sudden energy or anything.  In the book it talks about how it might just take some time.  I just hope not too long ;)

Yeah I am still tired, did my workout today but it was hard. I am sure they probably have it at Edinburgh's various health food shops and stuff, I do have coconut oil in abundance though and chilli, that is a start!

I don't knowabout the whole 30 but I have spaghetti and excellent way to share food with people who want noodles and super easy to make. You can eat it without noodles or make spaghetti squash for noddles. I have my sister who hate squash eating it because it's actually quite good that way. :)

The Whole30 is basically a 30 day really strict paleo diet, no grains, no dairy, no sugar, not legumes and avoid preservatives. Basically anything processed should be avoided. It's supposed to help heal your gut and get sugar cravings under control. I like the idea of spaghetti squash but it is something that isn't so common over here, I am told a health food shop sells it sometimes though, so I might ask them about it :)

Spaghetti Squash can be more difficult to find, especially when it's out of season. But it's great to cook, there's an article on NF that has a recipe for using it. If you have any farmers markets or such around you they would likely be a good source of them.

I tried my first spaghetti squash recently and it was ok.  I bought another one to try.  This time I am going to roast it and see how it turns out.  I have been looking into whole 30 friendly spaghetti sauces too.

Invade the thread time!

The way I like to cook any squash, is cut it in half, gut the seeds. Placing both halves on a cookie sheet covered in water, (if it's a shallow tin, I put a container of water to the side as well) I typical bake it at 350 F for an hour and a half to two hours. Let me check in on my spaghetti sauce and I will see if it fits the whole 30, if it does I will post it.

Wishing good luck with your challenge from Glasgow!

I've seen a few people from Scotland over here, we could even do a meetup one day :)

Hey there, hello from Edinburgh! Yes I hope we can all meet up some day! 

Spaghetti Squash can be more difficult to find, especially when it's out of season. But it's great to cook, there's an article on NF that has a recipe for using it. If you have any farmers markets or such around you they would likely be a good source of them.

Yeah the farmers market here is mostly all meat and cheese, I did see the Steve's love of spag bol recipe. Health food website has it on there, so may give them a ring to see when they might be getting it it.  

I tried my first spaghetti squash recently and it was ok.  I bought another one to try.  This time I am going to roast it and see how it turns out.  I have been looking into whole 30 friendly spaghetti sauces too.

Roasted sounds really good, how did you make it last time? 

I love other squshes. I am currently using the chicken stock from the bones to make a root vegetable soup with it as the main ingrediant. I don't have one just not but usually I add a tin coconut milk it is divine. I also got give a whole bunch of courgettes by the garden project nearby, have to use them in an inventive way!

I love your story at the start of your thread. I made me want to go home tonight and play a game. =) Sounds like you doing great with you goals so far, keep it up. 

Roasted sounds really good, how did you make it last time? 

I love other squshes. I am currently using the chicken stock from the bones to make a root vegetable soup with it as the main ingrediant. I don't have one just not but usually I add a tin coconut milk it is divine. I also got give a whole bunch of courgettes by the garden project nearby, have to use them in an inventive way!

Quick and easy microwave :)

Invade the thread time!

The way I like to cook any squash, is cut it in half, gut the seeds. Placing both halves on a cookie sheet covered in water, (if it's a shallow tin, I put a container of water to the side as well) I typical bake it at 350 F for an hour and a half to two hours. Let me check in on my spaghetti sauce and I will see if it fits the whole 30, if it does I will post it.

Sounds good to me, that is probably how I would do it, sometimes I make stuffed squash that way :)

I love your story at the start of your thread. I made me want to go home tonight and play a game. =) Sounds like you doing great with you goals so far, keep it up. 

Thanks! My boyfriend has been playing Rouge Legacy a lot so it is mildly inspired by that! Thanks I will try my best :)

Hey, I just went through the whole thread. I wish you the best of lucks with the depression and that ankle injury, and I'm sure it'll benefit from the goals you set for this challenge.

I'm very curious about the Whole30 thing, it  seems that there are a lot of people trying that for the diet related goal. I've been reading a bit on their web and it really sounds interesting, the concept of SWYPO food made me laugh (in a good way). Let us know how it goes for you :)

For me, going "clean" is not easy, but when I'm faced with a hard choice I just think "Do I really want to let myself down because of ice cream?" or less often, "Do I really want that whatever-food-is-off-limits?". It could be that, after thinking it twice, it is not so necessary.

Loanna, one thing you can think of is just that the food is not "off limits" or something that you "Can't it". Think of it as something that you Don't eat. Studies have shown that there's a higher success rate when you use the word "don't" instead of "can't". Plus if you do actually eat it then it's a rare "treat" instead of a "cheat" and which one of those sounds more positive and easier to deal with when you're trying to cut down?

Stuffed squash or stuffed zuchinni should be whole 30, let me find that recipe. :)

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Stuffed-Zucchini-Cups-With-Meat,-Tomatoes-and-Mozzarella

Just loose the cheese and it should fit? And I throw any and all veggies I can into mine, but this is the jist of it.

That sounds lovely, I actully have tons of courgettes at the moment, was given some by my local garden project as they have massive ones. Might give this a go!

Hey, I just went through the whole thread. I wish you the best of lucks with the depression and that ankle injury, and I'm sure it'll benefit from the goals you set for this challenge.

I'm very curious about the Whole30 thing, it  seems that there are a lot of people trying that for the diet related goal. I've been reading a bit on their web and it really sounds interesting, the concept of SWYPO food made me laugh (in a good way). Let us know how it goes for you :)

For me, going "clean" is not easy, but when I'm faced with a hard choice I just think "Do I really want to let myself down because of ice cream?" or less often, "Do I really want that whatever-food-is-off-limits?". It could be that, after thinking it twice, it is not so necessary.

Hey Loanna, 

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it! Things are getting better slowly with both my ankle and depression. I've been taking medication for about a month now and it's really helped me out, I think I was just stuck and when I finally saw the doctor it made it a little easier to concentrate on what I wanted to change in my life.

I am enjoying the Whole30 so far, it's kind of easier to stick with when you are following a laid down plan. I find the authors to have such a good sense of humour, SWYPO is a great concept they also talk about "food without brakes" and talk about psychological effect food has on us. I will do some proper updates of how I am getting on with it though for sure. :)

Yeah as people have said in other threads, eating clean is simple but not easy. Glad to hear you have a voice of reason in your head for those tough decisions! Thanks for stopping by again and for the lovely message!

KingLeeroy fights around Level 2, the first room she enters is a normal room, filled with a giant table, she expected a creature may jump out at any second but instead the furniture comes to life and starts attacking, she smashes it all with her mighty sword and shield for some reason they seemed to scatter coins every where and the candle stick dropped a cabbage and a turkey leg which she quickly devoured. The fight was hard, she was going to have to do extra training to get through the level alive.

End of Week One Update

1: Whole30: This has been going very well, I've had a bunch of cravings, I really miss milk in my cup of tea and cheese most of all. Chocolate as well but to a much lesser extent which surprises me. I've cooked some pretty good meals: Roast chicken, marinaded pork loin, tasty beef mince stuff. I've also made some pretty boring salads I think I need to change up a bit so I don't get bored. I've been feeling really tired this last week and occasionally head aches but nothing as bad as the website suggested I might get. I think this is because my diet was fairly primal any way.

I hadn't really been out the house to this made resisting temptation easy. Last night was a real test though as I went to a house warming party, I took my sparkling water, lemon and a lime and took a box of strawberries. I was pretty happy because there was a lot of veg and fruit nibbles, carrot sticks, grapes and cherry tomatoes, so it was easier to pass on the crisps. Though at one point cupcakes came out and everybody took one but me they looked and smelled good, I just took a deep breath ate some more carrot sticks so that is a win for me!

2. Workout: This was tough ended up with major DOMS after Monday and the very next day I had to push through a physio class that was tough, struggled though my Thursday Workout, decided to take an extra rest and I am so glad I did as today's workout was so much easier to power through, hoping I don't get such bad DOMS this time. I am hoping it will be easier this week as it means I can get them out of the way earlier in the week and not be worried about having to fit it in on Sunday, which I wasn't feeling very motivated for when I first got up however I am glad I've done it now. The only thing I've changed about the BBW is that I am doing less jumping jacks because they are slightly higher impact than the rest.

3. Morning Walks: These has definitely made it easier to sooth DOMS a little, it's also means I am not thinking about my usual morning cup of tea with milk as much because I feel pretty awake afterwards even though it is only around the block, some of the days I've instead gone along to the local garden project and helped sew some seeds for winter veg and pot on some seedlings in the poly tunnel which is very therapeutic and stops me staying in on my bum everyday playing Sky Rim. I just started it, I don't know why I know I am going to burn some hours away!

4. Drawing: It is going OK, I still need to do a session this afternoon after work to get all my As for the week but I think I should be OK.

Overall a bit of a tricky week but no slip ups as of yet. I really want to thank every one for coming by and leaving such supportive messages it's been really fun to be involved. I just hope I can keep this momentum up!

Doing great so far! And I'm sure it will continue, you have excellent goals and motivation. :)

It took me a moment with the courgette as well but I had guessed. A dear friend of mine is English so I'm quite used to the different words. It's entertaining to watch us when we really get going.

Loving the story, this is so reminding me of the comics for video game logic! We are being attacked, lock all the gates with puzzles, leave random weapons and coins through out the place. ;)