Evenewbie is making it work!

I am Eve

MAKING IT WORK

This challenge is about

connecting the pieces in the puzzle.

The last challenges have included segments leading up to this;

Me time - Work - Relationship - Health

I have built a platform where I feel reasonably stabile. Yeah, reasonably. My latest backlash was less than a month ago.

In a 24 hour and 365 day perspective, I want to make it work . If I keep all the pieces in my life on a daily basis this allows for balance, laughter and love.

How to make it work.

Daily yogapractice. One hour. Preferably in the morning. This helps me see the space for me time. It creates harmony and helps me breathe. Also it allows for me to be a harmonic family member.

Grading

A 42-37 B 36-34 C 33-31 D 30-28 E 27-25

Sleep 7, not 8, hours per night (since yogapractice starts 0500 on weekdays)

A long term goal and I need to discipline myself and GO TO BED!! This increases overall quality of awake hours. I need to quit being afraid of missing all the fun if I go to bed ;-)

Grading

A 42-37 B 36-34 C 33-31 D 30-28 E 27-25

Running keeps me strong and sane.

Increasing distance from 10 to 15 kilometers, three times per week, once the longer distance.

My body is smiling at me these days, flexing new muscles. My mind gets release from tension and stress by focusing on the breath, the path, the pace.

Grading

A 18 - 16 times, 6 - 5 times 15 k

B 15-14, 4

C 13-12, 4

D 11-10, 3

E 9-8, 2

Life quest

Work-new job starts 1/10. Studying is important to enable me firstly to blow the dust from my existing knowledge. Secondly there are quite a few new things to learn. Creating the routine to study every week is vital for my career.

Pass or fail is the grading here

Motivation

I suffer from fatigue syndrome - a bad work environment pushed me over the edge in 2011 and I am still working on getting back. I need my routines for rest and recovery to survive. That's how important they are. There's only one possible direction for me, and that's forward!

So, ready for a new challenge?! I know I am!!

I'll add the grading soon. : DONE

Feedback is appreciated;-)

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Love your sleep goal.   Did the change from 6-7 hours of bad sleep to full nights of 8 hours and saw such a drastic improvement in my overall health and well being.  

Your 365 yoga mission is inspiring.   I don't think I could do everyday of hot vinyasa for a year straight.   After taking the last week off mostly, I have found my hands and arms are already not liking my inverting as much, so need to get back into the swing of things.  

If we have another walking/running mini challenge, I will have to try to step it up to catch up to you.    I know I am not going to beat you, but catching up and closing the gap between us will be a goal to strive for.  

Looking forward to seeing your progress :-D

200-Hour Yoga Teacher & Reiki II Practitioner

Level 2 Gnome Druid STR: 9 | DEX: 5 | STA: 5 | CON: 5 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 4

Challenge Progress  ||  Workout Progress  ||  FitBit

The problem with life is that there is no background music

My body is smiling at me these days, flexing new muscles. My mind gets release from tension and stress by focusing on the breath, the path, the pace.

This is great to read -- every word of it.

Worthy goals, all, and I'm admiring of them.

I have more like a question than a specific suggestion:

I’ve detected a difference in how different people work with the concept of “me†time.

I’m thinking of a young lady, still in school, whose challenge included striving for “me†time in addition to things like weight-lifting, yoga, getting better at cleaning her room, studying.

To me, those activities are already “me†time:  things we do for ourselves as opposed to doing for others.   My attitude is probably more common among adults who have graduated to jobs, families of their own.  Maintaining those can eat up time until we feel like there’s none left for ourselves unless we are persistent and forceful in creating it.

But you know what?  I think the college girl had it right.

“Me†time is great -- however you define it.  But I need just a little more/better, or my battery won’t fully recharge.

For me personally to achieve a maximum sense of being rested & restored, it is required that I have, within the “me time†category -- something even more personal and restful than the equally important self-care that exercise and learning represent.

“Downtime†is the closest word for it that I can come up with, to distinguish it from other “me†time.

During the precious downtime (within the “me†time) -- I’m not doing one single thing other than what I genuinely want to do.

If I’m doing yoga during my down time, it’s because yoga is the thing I want most to do in that exact moment.

One of my favorite me-down-time routines ever (which I haven’t done since I moved, so I know I haven’t done it in 3 years) was to put a mint mud mask on my face, sit in my favorite chair, eat fresh raspberries, and read fiction, covered in sleeping cats, while the mask dried.

There are no demands in Me-Down-Time.  No goals, no deadlines, no pressures, no expectations, no interruptions.  When is the last time you had 5 minutes like that, Evenewbie, while you were awake?

Level 3 Fox DruidSTR +4 / DEX +5 / STA +3  / CON +2 / WIS +7 / CHA +2

"If you plan to face tomorrow, do it soon."  (G. Lightfoot)

I like your goals!  And your description of your yoga practice sounds a lot like me.  I'm just happier on days I do yoga.  

In a 24 hour and 365 day perspective, I want to make it work . If I keep all the pieces in my life on a daily basis this allows for balance, laughter and love.

This.  I like this.  This, to me, is the ultimate goal.  Best of luck to you!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

I am new here at NF and during my lurking around in the Druid forum for the last couple of weeks, you inspired me.  I could see your giving personality as you supported your fellow Druids in a calming and positive way.  Thanks for being you.

One of my favorite me-down-time routines ever (which I haven’t done since I moved, so I know I haven’t done it in 3 years) was to put a mint mud mask on my face, sit in my favorite chair, eat fresh raspberries, and read fiction, covered in sleeping cats, while the mask dried.

There are no demands in Me-Down-Time. No goals, no deadlines, no pressures, no expectations, no interruptions. When is the last time you had 5 minutes like that, Evenewbie, while you were awake?

Ooh, I love that, especially the covered in cats part.

There are so many points that I didn't quote from your post as well. Very good ones!

My me time, yeah it's rare but becoming less so, is always when I'm alone. It doesn't have a purpose, other than being enjoyable, just like you describe.

And when I find/create/manage it it's heaven!!

I like your goals! And your description of your yoga practice sounds a lot like me. I'm just happier on days I do yoga.

This. I like this. This, to me, is the ultimate goal. Best of luck to you!

Thank you!

Yes, it's almost like, when I don't get to do it I itch...there's something just not right...

Love your sleep goal. Did the change from 6-7 hours of bad sleep to full nights of 8 hours and saw such a drastic improvement in my overall health and well being.

Your 365 yoga mission is inspiring. I don't think I could do everyday of hot vinyasa for a year straight. After taking the last week off mostly, I have found my hands and arms are already not liking my inverting as much, so need to get back into the swing of things.

If we have another walking/running mini challenge, I will have to try to step it up to catch up to you. I know I am not going to beat you, but catching up and closing the gap between us will be a goal to strive for.

Looking forward to seeing your progress :-D

Wow, great feedback (big smile on my face).

Great to run side by side, I have a lot to learn from you!

I am new here at NF and during my lurking around in the Druid forum for the last couple of weeks, you inspired me. I could see your giving personality as you supported your fellow Druids in a calming and positive way. Thanks for being you.

Thank you Melyssa, that made me feel warm all over!

I'm glad that you're here:-)

I'm inspired by your running!  I'm still working on moving up from walking / jogging to jogging / running, and making slooooowww progress.

I'm also encouraged by your sleep routine goal, and the fact that it's taken several challenges for you to pin it down.  That's heartening after my lack of success on that during the last challenge.  I'm looking forward to this new challenge, for both of us.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Soooo, partner and bonusdaughter just left along with a friend who stayed the night out at the summer house where I've moved for the summer. It's been a glorious weekend at the beach with yoga outside and a lot of sunshine. Partner's away next week, on a workrelated trip, so it's me and the cat....

Is there a better way to start a challenge week I ask you!!

Now bonuskids are staying at our other house instead of with their mum so I have to be on alert for them, but they have to grow up sometime, right!?

Who want's to come over for a drink?! hrrm I mean to meditate?

Hello there, friend!  I really like your goals.  Especially the "Go to Bed" one!  That is definitely something I need to work on.  I have a habit of falling asleep on the couch most nights...then waking up around midnight or so and getting up and stumbling my way to bed.  It's probably something I should work on at some point.

Also, do you find it sometimes difficult to cope with your fatigue syndrome?  I used to deal with that a lot a few years back...it sucked, but it's gotten better.  There are still days that are tough, though.  I guess that is just another reason for me to work on going to bed, too!

I can't wait to read your updates and see your progress.   :joyous:   

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Hey friend!

I hope you had a great first day. Oh yeah - my fatigue syndrome reminds me of its existence every single day but it is getting better ever so gradually.

I had an unusually great first challenge day and am soon heading for bed to be able to do my yoga at 0500 tomorrow. Going to bed early is HARD but so good for me.

Yes, I am making it work;-)

Hello!  I love your me time goal.  I just dream about an hour to myself, but usually do not get it.  Good luck on all your goals!

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Thanks MadScientist!

It is just so absurd that we have to plan and set aside time for Me-time. That said, it's only that realisation that enables us to get to the planning. And it's wonderfully rewarding. My biggest problem in the beginning was that I didn't know what I wanted to do with my time anymore. I started by rediscovering my likes :-)

love to read your goals and feel we have quite a bit in common... :)

cant wait to also put a morning ritual into practice.

will come back for sure, youve gotten me exited...:)

Wow - thank you :-) Welcome back!

Weeell, day two was good! Started with yoga btw five and six, then breakfast and a nice day at work.

Managed to cook a proper meal just for me and then did some studying. It's raining, it's quiet and it's 9:30 pm. Think I'll go to bed soon

:-) I've been hanging around here for a while as well reading a lot of awesome threads....Very inspiring!

Hello! Just popping in to see how your week is going! :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Eve, reading your challenge just made me smile... I can relate to so much. Your comments regarding yoga, running and sleeping could have been said by me. Except that you express it so much better!

The quest to make it all click and work together in balance. That is the ultimate quest! Even when we get close, life keeps evolving and we need to adjust it all again. Life is both a challenging and wonderful journey. :)

Lusitanian Druid, Level 9
STR: 13 | DEX: 15 | STA: 17 | CON: 22 | WIS: 25 | CHA: 25

“We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.†- Aristotle

Current Challenge: Living the Good Life II Past: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th,  8th9th, 10th11th, 12th

Goal: 1001 Steps on the Road to a Home -> 18/348 in 2015 

5.27%
5.27%

Goal: loose 9KG in 2015 -> 1.5KG lost 

16.67%
16.67%

Aaah, Thursday evening and that Friday feeling is actually lurking in the shadows....nice feeling!

So. Yesterday my first 15 k run. My only goal was to try to feel the flow and it didn't have to be fast. I did it in 1:41 and I'm really pleased. My legs felt weird afterwards and I probably had to little for breakfast so I was beat. But so PLEASED. Today I'm nursing a small blister on my big toe but apart from that I feel fine.

Yes Chanda (great to see you btw) it is about making it click, isn't it.

The more I think about my quest this week the better it actually gets. I have an increasing awareness and during my day I step back and reflect; what are the most important things, thoughts, jobs to today? That also helps identify what's less important and so I prioritize (and I often prioritize me). Great feeling ! (So far;-)

And yes, Life is challenging and even though I sometimes complain I wouldn't want it any other way:-)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines