SevenFootGeek turns to the Sun

SevenFootGeek

Alright, monks.  It's time to separate the real nerds from the people who muck about with video games from time to time.

Disclaimer:  this is no disrespect to my video game playing brothers and sisters.  I am just melodramatic.  Rock on, my nerds.  Rock on.

It is a time of tumult.

A time for heroes.

A man sits at a desk in a library.  From the side, he appears average.  Thin limbs and pale skin indicate the amount of time he has spent in this place or those much like it.  Books are piled high around him.  He is hunched over a larger tome, intent upon the words on the page.

"Once, Creation was ruled justly by the Chosen of the Sun.  Exalted by their potential for greatness, they took the reins of power to craft the mightiest of artifacts, defeat the most terrible of foes and rule through a golden age of prosperity:  the First Age.

"In the Second Age, the Exalted have all but disappeared.  Only the Chosen of the Elemental Dragons remain, to lord over the common man, revelling in excess and debauchery.  The glories that were once so commonplace are mere shadows of recollection, if they are even remembered at all.  It is an age of bronze, where once gold shone everywhere."

A single tear falls from his cheek as he rises.  The dim candlelight catches it as it falls, glinting gold before it lands on the open page.  As the man stands, it becomes apparent that his hunched posture and folded limbs concealed a massive man, towering above the average.  He stands, shoulders hunched and back curled.  He takes a deep breath and pushes his chest out and throws his shoulders back.  Golden light explodes from his body.

1274312166_small.jpg

Words boom in his head, impossibly loud, but gentle.

And so, my son, you have seen that where the light is cast, greatness will follow.  Take this lesson out in to the world and let all who see you know that you are my Chosen, Exalted of the Unconquered Sun, greatest of heroes.  Do this in my name and restore glory to this fallen world.

There's a lot of purple prose in there, but it is to a purpose.  I'm an RPG nut.  I have played tabletop RPGs for over 20 years in almost every form you could imagine.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies, Robotech, Rolemaster, MERP, Dungeons and Dragons (1st through 4th edition), Call of Cthulhu, Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf the Apocalypse, Tales from the Floating Vagabond, Hol, the list goes on.  But one stands out as my favourite game of all time.

Exalted.

Exalted holds a special place in my heart.  In Exalted, the player characters are nigh-invulnerable demigods when you start.  You have almost the entire world against you, but it is your job to rebuild and restore an Age that is millenia past.  It is a game of absurdity, heroism and over-the-top theatrics.  A task that is deadly dangerous and foolish to consider in any other game is all in a day's work for the Exalted.  In Exalted, you are a hero in every classical and assumed sense.

My Main Quest

To become worthy of a Solar Exaltation.

According to the game-canon, a Solar Exalts when he is placed in a place of high stress where he chooses the heroic option.  He chooses to fight when faced down by slaves;  he resolves to rebuild the infrastructure that once ennobled everyone in his province;  he struggles against a corrupt government who seek to abuse his neighbourhood.

To reach this state of mind, because I do lack the heroic drive much of the time, I will be seeking to perfect my body, mind and spirit.  This is a long, long journey, but one which has numerous tangible benefits.  At this stage, it's baby steps, so here's my starting plan.

1.  The strength of the sun - Workout 3 times / week : +3 Strength, + 1 Stamina

I really need to workout regularly.  This is known.  I feel like a superhero when I do and I feel like a bag of shit when I don't.  I've started well enough the past two challenges, but I have done things that have aggravated my system and not paid attention to the signals my body was giving me, so I have a plan.

When I'm not injured, hit the gym and get under the bar.  I miss doing these exercises but my knee is still kind of tweaked out, so I haven't gone.  What's worse, I haven't done anything to replace it.

So, when my body is complaining, do the beginner body weight workout.  It's not a heavy workout compared with some of you monks, but my body weight is significant and the principle of the lever forces me to work damn hard on a lot of the exercises.  I've tested my body's responses and lunges and BW squats, while an effort, don't cause me any pain.  So just do it.

2.  The sun rises every day - 750 push-ups by challenge end : +1 Strength, +1 Dexterity, +2 Stamina

I may have shamelessly stolen this from RisenPhoenix.  24 push-ups per day is a lot for me and 12 is too few.  So, we meet in the middle with 18 push-ups per day.  Push-ups are HARD for me.  They are one of the things I struggle with constantly.  I hate them and I avoid them.  Never mind the fact that they build excellent core and upper body strength. 

No catch up days and tracking stops at 18 per day.  Just like my punching from my first challenge, it's the consistency that I'm striving for, not bursts of volume.  Am I going to accept being shy of a B by 2 push-ups?  Absolutely not.  

3.  The sun shines even behind the clouds - Walk with my wife 5 times / week : +1 Stamina, +1, Wisdom, +2 Charisma

One of the things that I used to do was go walking with my wife.  Walking is still exercise and strolling together through our neighbourhood was a good bonding experience.  I need more of that and I'm not ashamed to come out and admit it.  

This will only count if we are out for at least 15 minutes.  No double dipping on days when we have a lot of errands to run.  

Life Goal

The sun's light is warm - Stop being such a sarcastic ass : +1 Charisma

I am in the office twice a week.  And I'm not super happy with my workplace, for a lot of reasons.  But that is not a reason to sow negativity among my coworkers, many of whom I have a great fondness and respect for.  I am often bad-tempered and use the razor's edge of my sarcasm to get a laugh.  And I do get them, but it's mean-spirited and it's not who I want to be.

Go each day in the office without sniping and being a jerk.  

Diet Goal

The sun brings life and growth - Stop eating so much shit : +2 Constitution

I don't know what's happened since the last challenge ended, but I have started eating absolute garbage almost every day.  Chips, candy, soda, salt and sugar.  It's embarrassing, actually.  So, 42 days of no bad snacking.  That's the trouble.  I have good snack foods.  Trail mix with no added sugar or salt.  Chemical (and gluten!) free pepperoni sticks.  Yoghurt.  Fruit.  Carrot sticks and cucumbers.  If I am so desperate to munch on things, I can eat those.

And there we are.  Goals to keep me working and maybe bring me closer to being worthy of an Exaltation of my very own.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

YES, Exalted. I heard they're getting ready to release a 3rd Ed., but I have no idea if that's still going on or what.

Man, I wish I'd thought of that, but that's so cool that you did! You have one part epic quest, one part epic nerdery, and all the parts are awesome.

Can't wait to see you Exalt before the Unconquered Sun!

SFG~! *hugs*

Solid plan, my friend. Very solid, very nice. I feel you on the whole "if I'm not injured" part - my legs have been tight as ever, though at least this time it seems my hamstrings aren't as bad as last time. I do hope you can get under that bar every now and again, though. And way to go on doing those bodyweight exercises! I'll be cheering for ya.

In regards to your Life Goal, have you read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie? It's a fantastic read and actually breaks down step-by-step how to be nice. It's a bit strange to think of it as something that can be broken down like that, but he does it quite well. I'd advise it strongly, even just for a leisure read as his style is enjoyable.

And yay for not eating shit! Snacks are definitely where I'm most liable to fall off the wagon. I've found pre-portioning snacks really helps for keeping temptation away.

...I'd attempt a high-five, but I'm not sure I'd be able to reach that high... 

Also, fantastic theme. I'm ashamed to say - I've only ever played D&D, like, twice. And I suck at it. But table top RPGs are so cool~!

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

YES, Exalted. I heard they're getting ready to release a 3rd Ed., but I have no idea if that's still going on or what.

Man, I wish I'd thought of that, but that's so cool that you did! You have one part epic quest, one part epic nerdery, and all the parts are awesome.

Can't wait to see you Exalt before the Unconquered Sun!

*licks his pencil

That's one.

3rd Ed was successfully Kickstarted, and WW has used that successfully in the past to reprint stuff from the good old days.  I'm... not sure how I feel about it.  I love Exalted, but I really felt like the line developers lost sight of the epic heroism of the setting.  When I'm playing Exalted, I want to wield a sword the size of a surfboard, leap a mile into the air and cleave a hundred-foot golem in twain.  I don't feel like the developers agree with me.  But my group does and that's what matters.

SFG~! *hugs*

Solid plan, my friend. Very solid, very nice. I feel you on the whole "if I'm not injured" part - my legs have been tight as ever, though at least this time it seems my hamstrings aren't as bad as last time. I do hope you can get under that bar every now and again, though. And way to go on doing those bodyweight exercises! I'll be cheering for ya.

In regards to your Life Goal, have you read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie? It's a fantastic read and actually breaks down step-by-step how to be nice. It's a bit strange to think of it as something that can be broken down like that, but he does it quite well. I'd advise it strongly, even just for a leisure read as his style is enjoyable.

And yay for not eating shit! Snacks are definitely where I'm most liable to fall off the wagon. I've found pre-portioning snacks really helps for keeping temptation away.

I was actually fortunate enough to attend a Dale Carnegie course when I was in high school.  It went a long way to helping me overcome my paralyzing fear of speaking in front of people.  And I mean that quite literally.  I used to be unable to move or speak in front of a group.  I have a copy at home, but it has been unopened for 15 years now.  Might be time to crack the cover again.

...I'd attempt a high-five, but I'm not sure I'd be able to reach that high... 

Also, fantastic theme. I'm ashamed to say - I've only ever played D&D, like, twice. And I suck at it. But table top RPGs are so cool~!

I am a magnanimous giant with friends assuredly tinier than you. I can kneel to deliver high-fives.   :playful:

People that tell you that you suck at games are not worth listening to.  What matters is whether you had fun.  When you find a group that you can do that with, it is nothing less than magical.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

I like your goals especially the walking one!

I'm sad I can't use this theme now but you did claim it before me...

Earn your shard my friend, when you hit that fork in the road know that there is no choice and

just walk the harder path.  The sun's light will illuminate you in the end.

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

I was actually fortunate enough to attend a Dale Carnegie course when I was in high school.  It went a long way to helping me overcome my paralyzing fear of speaking in front of people.  And I mean that quite literally.  I used to be unable to move or speak in front of a group.  I have a copy at home, but it has been unopened for 15 years now.  Might be time to crack the cover again.

I am a magnanimous giant with friends assuredly tinier than you. I can kneel to deliver high-fives.   :playful:

People that tell you that you suck at games are not worth listening to.  What matters is whether you had fun.  When you find a group that you can do that with, it is nothing less than magical.

Ah, sweet! I love Dale Carnegie. My first round through, also in high school, was really awkward, but I've since coached them a few times and it's really helped me to develop my speaking and coaching skills immensely. I plan to return to it in Fall, so we'll see how that goes.

Open it back up! I find it's something I need to crack open every now and again, too - it's one of those things that just changes every time you open it. Something new comes to light and you're like "oh, how did I not notice that before?".

Kneel?! KNEEL?!...

I demand trampolines instead. XD

Ha ha, oh, I'm sayin' I suck at it. XD

But the group I play with is all beginners and we have a rip-roaring time. Our Dungeon Master is one of my co-workers who really gets into it in a fun way and he's slightly modified the campaign we run so that all the names of realms and important groups shorten into the acronyms used in our office. It's hilarious.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Great goals this time around! I also have let my workouts and eating habits go out the window as of late and plan on getting back on track with this challenge. The evening walks with the spouse are the best. I love it when we go for walks together too. It's a great way to unwind and connect with each other without the distractions of the computer, tv or other electronics. Let's come back and dominate this time!

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Unconquered sun? Lame and overbearing, simultaneously. Dragon-blooded FTW.

And I fully endorse any stealing of my former goals. I'm kinda honored that someone actually was motivated by me - and made it an even more awesome challenge, at that!

Good luck, 7FG!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Unconquered sun? Lame and overbearing, simultaneously. Dragon-blooded FTW.

And I fully endorse any stealing of my former goals. I'm kinda honored that someone actually was motivated by me - and made it an even more awesome challenge, at that!

Good luck, 7FG!

Dragonblooded?  Corrupt, self serving, with delusions of standing.  Fighting over a throne that has no meaning and willing to let creation burn to do it.

How dare you corrupt this thread by mentioning them!

Nothing compares to the purity and perfection inherent in the warriors of the sun.  They look an the impossible and snorts with derision.

Solars all the way!

You think that's bad? The last time I played, I wound up as a freaking Abyssal. He turned out to be beyond saving. -.-

Gah, I love Abyssals! Last time I played one I managed to convince my GM to let the character oversee way can only be described as the magic version of the Death Star laser.... Even the GM was shocked he allowed it.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On the diet front, I find that it's usually very easy to get caught up in eating rubbish once you've started. It's like the momentum of anything, I guess. On the plus side it also works once you've gotten back to eating well (especially when that's been a habit before), and I'm sure regular workouts will help even further - the two tend to feed off each other!

Always kick higher

Okay, a quick post-lunch update.

I had a healthy smoothie for lunch (fruit I froze myself plus raw peanut butter and almond milk) and I did my first 18 pushups.  

Holy hell.  A month without strength training is too much.  I'd like to have these down to one set by the end of the challenge but we're not going to talk about how many sets it took me to get those in today.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

Abyssals?  Nothing can match the Primordial purity of the Infernal.  They are still my favourite, even if they're not exactly heroic.

Purity?  Purely corrupted maybe... That's the only thing pure about those YOZI spawned monsters.

Solars all the way!

Gonna try to keep with the short updates.  I have a tendency to ramble and it's something I want to work on.

Yesterday, at the grocery store, I managed to put my foot down and not buy more junk food.  Did I want a bag of SmartFood?  You're damned right I did.  A bag of Ruffles and Helluva Good dip?  Absolutely.  A case of carbonated sugar water?  YES.  Did I buy any of it?  No.  No, I did not.  That's one day.  Forty-one more to go.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

The Unconquered Sun is smiling somewhere.

Now if we could just fix your personal exalt preferences you'd REALLY be back on track

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines