• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SevenFootGeek

SevenFootGeek turns to the Sun

Now that's what I call good functional fitness! Sorry I haven't commented much, been busy myself with work and such and I'm trying to give myself the downtime I need this time around. So far it's a good thing. Keep up the great work, one more day to go. Let's end this week strong!

BTW, how are the walks going with the wifey?

They could be going better.  We've been cleaning up the exterior of our house together, so after two hours of that, it's usually too late to go walking.  But we're at 3/5 this week so far.  Just got back from number 3.  We talked about how we've been doing on Thursday and admitted that we weren't making time for it.  So we'll do our walk tomorrow, and that'll be a lesson to take into week 2.

he was too busy punching to do pushups in class, I can't blame him though, you don't pass up a chance to work with a senior black belt on your punches.

Hey, I did them at home. 6/6 so far!  I may have done yesterday's late on a friend's living room, but I'm still making time for them.  

And that punch is coming along very nicely.  Another 8 months of practice like this and you won't even be able to see my hands move.

You make me jealous of your speed increases. I see a possible side quest coming on to get back to doing some drills. I've let my at home practice fall by the wayside yet again. Damn you for making me want to get back to it when I have so much on the go already. I love it! It may be time to fix my priorities when it comes to time management.

That's awesome that you noticed you were slacking on the wife-walks and were able to talk about it and fix it. That's really cool and I'm sure it's nourishing you relationship! I just think that is  really cool goal you added to your challenge.

Oh, and that speed on an arm that long?? Don't want to be on YOUR bad side!

What is your reach, anyway?

Oh, and that speed on an arm that long?? Don't want to be on YOUR bad side!

What is your reach, anyway?

I'm honestly not sure.  My armspan from fingertip to fingertip is 84", though.  

Ugh...  I had a whole update post typed up, right to the end, and then managed to hit the back button on my browser.  So, it's time to try again to have a...

Week 1 Update!

Strength of the sun

This did not go as planned.  I had the best of intentions, but things kind of fell apart on me a lot.  I got 1 workout in, and that was an improvised, gotta-move-shit-in-my-yard kind of workout.  The two times that I've resolved to go and do the same thing have not gone well.  Home ownership is a never-ending job.  The fact is that I've been dealing with some pretty heavy life things and it's left me with a severely limited level of energy.  I'm trying to find the balance, but it's not easy.

1/3, C

The sun rises every day

Some bad challenge news and some good challenge news.  I love lifting weights and I don't get out and do it.  I hate doing pushups and yet I did 18 pushups every day last week.  Every.  Single.  Day.  Woo!

7/7, A

The sun shines even behind the clouds

I mentioned in an earlier update that I got off to a shaky start with this one.  But my wife and I talked about it and more importantly why we wanted to be doing this and we made changes to improve.  So last week wasn't great, but we're already on better track for this week.

3/5, C

The sun's light is warm

People are just... so dumb sometimes.  Never mind the fact that, due to my profession, I'm exposed to a lot of human ignorance.  Trying not to be snarky, or make snide remarks, or employ biting sarcasm is really hard.  But it is only two days a week.  I'm honestly surprised that I don't have open wounds in my mouth from biting my tongue so hard.  I'm doing well, but my resolve is shaking.

2/2, A

The sun brings light and growth

I have a cunning plan.  I go to the grocery store and I steadfastly refuse to buy junk.  I go to the office and I only bring enough money to buy a cup of coffee or two.  The cafeteria is subsidized by the company, so it's pretty cheap for coffee.  75 cents for whatever size cup you bring!  My coffee cups are not small.  The end result being that I don't have access to sweets and junk food.  No snacks!

7/7, A

Not a bad week, but not great, either. And yes, I know there are 3 A marks in there.  Diet is the cornerstone of fitness, but I want to lift things, dammit!

A good week 7FG! Perhaps you are not lifting but push ups are also good! Believe it!

The sun's light is warm

People are just... so dumb sometimes.  Never mind the fact that, due to my profession, I'm exposed to a lot of human ignorance.  Trying not to be snarky, or make snide remarks, or employ biting sarcasm is really hard.  But it is only two days a week.  I'm honestly surprised that I don't have open wounds in my mouth from biting my tongue so hard.  I'm doing well, but my resolve is shaking.

I hear you. It´s hard to keep the positive thinking with some people. I wish I could be as relaxed and positive in person as when I´m online.

It´s hard to keep the positive thinking with some people. I wish I could be as relaxed and positive in person as when I´m online.

So true for me too!

And 7FG, you're doing brilliant. Not only did you get three A's, the one you did less well in you've already got a constructive plan for improvement in. That's almost another A right there. Just keep going. :)

A good week 7FG! Perhaps you are not lifting but push ups are also good! Believe it!

I am forced to believe it.  My wife has already commented that my arms are starting to get their bulgy look back.  And just from doing pushups every day.   :pride:

Two days into week two and we've managed to get out walking both days.  Off to a good start.  And still doing pushups!  It's my first office day of the week, so we'll see how sorely my patience is tested.  It's very early here, so I can pretend that with no one in the office, it will be quiet and peaceful the whole day long.  Maybe I can get my security paperwork done before anyone arrives...

Decent first week, 7FG!  And do ALL THE PUSHUPS!  Seriously, even now my arms are kinda oddly toned for me because of all those things I did last challenge.  Actually, I feel like I should be doing them now, too.  But I'm super lazy. ^^;;

Now all you gotta do is ramp it up!  Make the Sun proud! :P

Dude, seriously. Love push ups. They make the chest bigger and the arms look nice and clean. I like 'em. Just be careful with the elbows.

As an example of why I'm trying not to be sarcastic at work, here is an exchange that occurred earlier today.

I work in the space industry, so things like security authorization and permission are a big deal.  If you don't have access to it, you're not supposed to touch it.  Government contracts and all that.

User:  Can you put this file on the intranet for me?

Me:  That file is on the shared network drive under this location.  If you keep the file name the same, you can just update it and it'll take care of it itself.

User:  I'm not able to save to that folder.  I don't have the permissions.

Me:  ....

It's because of conversations like this that I really, really wish there were a heavy bag in the meditation room here...

Dude, seriously. Love push ups. They make the chest bigger and the arms look nice and clean. I like 'em. Just be careful with the elbows.

The elbows are a work in progress.  I keep having to force them in.  

The elbows are a work in progress.  I keep having to force them in.  

Dunno if it helps, but I've found that my elbows pop out much more if I'm not looking straight ahead during the push-up.  No idea if that's just something that's popped up in my brain as a relation to proper form that makes it easier for my body, or my form forcing the elbows to stay in.

I've been analyzing my form and I think that my hands are too high along my torso.  They're about parallel with my shoulders right now.  That's forcing my shoulders back and misaligning my elbow movement.  I'm going to try tonight's set with my hands pulled a little farther down towards my chest.

I work in the space industry, so things like security authorization and permission are a big deal.  If you don't have access to it, you're not supposed to touch it.  Government contracts and all that.

User:  Can you put this file on the intranet for me?

Me:  That file is on the shared network drive under this location.  If you keep the file name the same, you can just update it and it'll take care of it itself.

User:  I'm not able to save to that folder.  I don't have the permissions.

Me:  ....

It's because of conversations like this that I really, really wish there were a heavy bag in the meditation room here...

Oh man, I don´t envy you. On the year I had to give support I even knew people that did not know how to write the "$" symbol with the keyboard. Getting out of there was good for my mental health.

Okay, so it seems that week 5 is going to be a bit weird for me.  The wife and I just made plans to go camping for... the whole week.  Definitely going to kill any possibility of doing any lifting.  But we will be hiking and swimming at all three provincial parks we're heading to.  We'll be heading farther north than I've ever been for camping, but it's to a park that I've wanted to see for a long time.  And two favourites of my wife.

So that means I'm going to need to get myself sorted and work harder all of the other weeks.