• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Mouse

In Which There Is A Wedding And It Is Not Mouse's

[Enough with the header image promises, Mouse. If it happens, it happens - if not, it won't!]

You Approach the Harker in Rebel Square...
Rebel Brothers and Sisters, it is time now to enter a season of sunlight, frolicking in fields and running through endless meadows. Yes, indeed! It is that time - that everlasting summer!

And, with summer, comes the all-anticipated wedding season, during which rebels revel and celebrate the joyous occasion of love.

With this, Mouse, a measly level 3 Dwarf Monk, continues her adventures in pursuit of slaying the Dragon Flabxia - the Dragon of Fat. Her cousin, R, a strong and strapping young man, has finally decided to marry the woman of his life and the occasion has served as a point of fixation for our young heroine.

Long since, in April, in fact, she set the goal to reduce her body fat percentage by 10% come the wedding day.

It is with great pride and with great adulation that it must be announced that Mouse has indeed achieved that goal! From 38% to 27% body fat!

However, for a soul such as she, that 10% was not enough. There is still remnants of Flabxia that run amok in the land.

So Mouse sets her goals higher, reaching for 18% body fat and aiming to drop another 15lbs.

The last leg to the road to the Dragon Flabxia's Lair involves three important challenges: finding the Iron Bar, eating the Fruit of Keto, and make sure to get the Blessing of Heals.

Finding the Iron Bar... [sTR +2, STA +2]

The weapon of greatest strength, the Iron Bar, is a great tool of power. Intimidating, raw and utterly destructive, this blunted weapon can be loaded with Black Plates and is customizable for speed or explosive power. The staff is the weapon of choice for Monks with a penchant for teaching lessons from the School of Hard Knocks. It is the only tool strong enough to break through the Wall of Weakness - the stone gates to the Path of Adipiox, which leads to Flabxia's Lair.

In order to find the Iron Bar which Mouse will use to pummel the Dragon Flabxia into submission, she must complete the following tasks:

• Strength Train 2x/week
  • Karate 2x/week
  • Cardio 1x/week

As there are a few work obligations which will take Mouse over-time into the evenings, as well as her adventure to Summerland, BC (yes, indeed, that is its proper name) for the Wedding of R, we must forgive our heroine if she does not make a 100% attendance rate with these. The milestones shall reflect this.

• A: 10 STR, 8 Karate, 11 Cardio
  • B: 8 STR, 6 Karate, 10 Cardio
  • C: 6 STR, 4 Karate, 9 Cardio
  • F: Anything less

Fruit of Keto... [CON +2, CHA+2]

It has been said that a mystical fruit exists in the far reaches of the land known as Ketonia. In this place, it is customary to eliminate starchy vegetables, sugary treats and other such foods that have become commonplace for both sinful taste and convenience. Here, Ketonians pursue the shredding of fat and the hardening of muscle through meticulous attention to diet and hard training. Here, the Fruit of Keto bolsters those who near their own dragon-slaying final battles and endows them with the strength and energy to continue on.

Mouse has already attained great success training in the Land of Ketonia. However, for this young and ambitious rebel, there is always a road ahead. And so she forges on, this time with a more solid set of goals - once more returning to the mini-quest of logging in hopes of challenging her friendly rival, Zuel. Please note! From August 16 to August 20, the days of getting to and attending and getting back from the Wedding of R, Mouse will likely not count any of those days towards her goal.

Ah!
A word from the warrior herself!

"Ha ha! Thank you for your kind support -now, I must be honest. I believe last challenge I tried to take it too far in my cut. Going for too long at too low a caloric intake made me irritable and, I hate to admit, lowered my libido a bit. And that was a hit, I love being all lovey-dovey and not really feeling it was taking a toll on myself and the boy. Not to mention it was concerning me with how lethargic I was. So I decided to eat at maintenance (1900cal) a day over the break between and see what happened - much to the boy's relief - and it did work. I feel much more energetic and the libido has returned. So I feel I'll try cutting 100cal each week and go with that. Also, I'm finally starting to see that, hell, even if this takes me until April next year, I'll still get to my goal and, better yet, it'll be sustainable for the rest of my life."

And so, here are her goals!

• Cut down to 1600cal a day over the course of two or three weeks
    • ​Should Mouse feel that 1600cal is sustainable, she can stay there. However, if it is possible, she will further cut to 1500-1550cal.
  • 25g carbs or less
  • 90-100g protein
  • Remainder fat

The milestones are pass or fail for this goal.

Exceptions are: 2 Cheat Meals if necessary, and everything from Aug 16-19 doesn't count (that's the wedding). Also, should any modifications (e.g. Oats added, etc) be necessary for health, then that's allowable. Caloric limit, however, is absolute as much as possible save for free meals.

EDIT: JULY 31 2013: Due to the passing of my aunt, and the ridiculousness that is carb-heavy Filipino food and our traditional foods which are essentially pasta and rice, aside from the caloric deficit, my keto diet is on hold until after August 2nd. Lunch will still be keto, but dinner may not be. After August 2nd, the cheat meal counts will begin. That is all.

Receiving the Blessing of Heal... [CON +3, WIS +2]

Although the name may be redundant in certain circles, it only serves to emphasize the benefits of this particular buff. The Blessing of Heal can come in many and multiple forms - from a massage, to an epsom salt bath, to a session of treatment with experts from the Orient. But all will fortify and invigorate rebels for their journeys farther down their chosen paths and all will invariably protect them from injury. It is a vital buff to receive while cutting through the hordes of lesser demons to the great dragon ahead.

Receiving the specific Blessing of Heal Mouse needs will require her to perform three separate, smaller tasks. Fortunately, she has help.

• Vitamins!
    • ​Research and select a multi-vitamin and supplement regime to further protect her health. This may include vitamin D and calcium, however, research will be paramount!
  • ​Treatment!
    • ​Visit cousin Colin, an acupuncturist and sport massage therapist - see if he can perform acupuncture on her legs/shoulder.
    • Book at least one massage appointment (there's a gift card an aunt gave her that she must use up, and there is an MT she truly appreciates on-campus)
  • Research!
    • Research muscle recovery and what impacts it. Recently, Mouse has been suffering from muscle soreness which lasts much too long despite her stretching and foam roller-ing. This may also include a mini-goal of increasing how many hours a night she sleeps.

The milestones for this goal are as follows:

• A: 3/3 complete!
  • B: 2/3 complete!
  • C: 1/3 complete!
  • F: 0/3 complete.

Of course, my brothers and sisters, this intrepid youngster must also prepare for the feast that is The Wedding of R!

In order to prepare for this, she must...
Attain the Outfit of Wedding... [CHA +2]

The Outfit of Wedding - an interesting, generic suit of armor that offers no protection, but increases Charisma to an intense degree and also casts some strange, invisible and inexplicable spell over the wearer and those around them... One which increases the amount of... fun... and cheer... It is strange, but undeniable and quite welcome for rebels enjoying the reverie of celebrations and the joining of two. Even when it's not their own ceremony, it still renders any wedding a more joyous occasion.

To attain the Outfit of Wedding may be Mouse's most intense challenge yet, as she must do so before August 16th. However, this young one wants to show her progress off at her cousin's wedding and will stop at nothing to do so!

• Look the Part!
    • ​Obtain a dress outfit (dress, cardi and scarf) and get a hair cut for the wedding
  • ​Inquire as to Contacts
    • ​See if she can obtain contacts for her astigmatism (she can get 3.5 or 3.25, but there isn't a 3.75. Go figure.)
  • ...Make up. MAKE UP?!
    • Mouse will learn to put on make up - simple, tasteful... But make up nonetheless. Never before done. Hopefully after contacts.

The Harker concludes his tale and passes his hat around...
And with the story done, the quest begins!

AH!
But how could we forget to check out Mouse's stats before she starts?! Again? No way!

Weight: 127lbs

Body Fat % (caliper measure): 28%

Neck: 13"

Bust: 35"

Arm: 11"

Stomach: 35"

Waist: 35"

Thigh: 20.5"

Progress Photo Link to be uploaded.

• Like 1

Crikey.  And I was so pleased with my little snippet of prose.  grumblegrumble...

That looks like some very reachable goals, Mouse.  I have a feeling you're going to wow everyone at the wedding.  Just try to save some shine time for the bride, yeah?

Crikey.  And I was so pleased with my little snippet of prose.  grumblegrumble...

That looks like some very reachable goals, Mouse.  I have a feeling you're going to wow everyone at the wedding.  Just try to save some shine time for the bride, yeah?

Ah ha ha ha, I've been playing terrible, terrible grindy browser MMOs at work that have grammar worse than a 4 year old's.

They contribute greatly to the cheese of writing that up, ha ha!

Thanks, SFG! Ha ha, V's a beautiful woman, and she's been the only one of her and her soon-husband who's been following her pre-wedding plan for some weight loss, so I'm sure I won't be outshining her at all. :3

Plus, they'll have dogs. I lose all sense of dignity and grace when there are dogs. Legit.

A fine story, and worth hearing.

All right then, Mouse. Watch those calories and be careful. There's only so low you can go before you're gonna have to let the training take over to give you benefit.

Good luck!

A fine story, and worth hearing.

All right then, Mouse. Watch those calories and be careful. There's only so low you can go before you're gonna have to let the training take over to give you benefit.

Good luck!

Thanks, Kishi!

Yeah, I feel my performance in the gym and dojo has been lacking because I've cut too far. I'm curious to see if my muscle soreness will go away after eating at maintenance for a while, and how it'll be eating just a little below.

Love the format and the goals!  Though that seems like such a low number of calories, mouse!  Especially given how active your fitness goal is.

Thanks, Optimus!

Ha ha, I'm barely 5', and my karate club is really quite light most of the time, so my TDEE is around 1900cal a day in any case, with my BMR being 1250cal-ish.

Also, I find eating 1900cal is pretty hard on a ketogenic/paleo diet. Looking forward to seeing if I can bulk once I'm done cutting.

Though may I ask why you say it's quite low? I'm still researching the effects of too steep a deficit, so I'd love to learn more.

An awesome journey to slay the Dragon. What an epic idea for a challenge :D

Thank you~!

>w<

Very nice, mouse. Everyone seems to be writing these epic stories for intros this time. I just keep falling behind the challenge presentation curve. Oh well, at least I have music this time.

Good luck, you'll nail these for sure!

For building muscle with the lifting that may be a bit low on calories for you. Consider eating More lean proteins and healthy saturated fats like avocados and coconut, personally I love coconut butter and coconut oil. It will help keep you in ketosis but give you enough calories to build those muscles you want. I'm actually trying to stay away from the calorie counting during this challenge because it can be very misleading. In my opinion anyways, but do what works best for you. Good luck with those goals, I also am not very well versed in the application of make-up. I doubt many of us female monks are. Then again who needs it when you already look and feel your best just by being healthy! One of these days we'll have to start a Canadian squad here in the monastery and really shake things up.

Re the make-up; have you checked out the 'making faces' thread in the Women's Training forum? Lots of ideas and plenty of nerdettes to ask for advice! And tbh the best thing to do is just buy some basic stuff and play around with it. Google is also your friend, for tutorials and the like.

Well done Mouse-love, all these goals look great! I agree, keep an eye on those calories; cutting too much can really set you back! No one wants to fight a dragon on an empty stomach (or a stuffed stomach. There's a dragon-slaying middle ground). Go girl, go!

Oh and also, I am currently in the process of finding my own Outfit of Wedding. So if you find any good sites... ;D (No, but seriously.)

Very nice, mouse. Everyone seems to be writing these epic stories for intros this time. I just keep falling behind the challenge presentation curve. Oh well, at least I have music this time.

Good luck, you'll nail these for sure!

Ha ha, your theme is pretty awesome, though!

And hey - super-long intro posts don't mean squat! I think it was SirEarl who wrote it, but: "it's the end post that matters!"

For building muscle with the lifting that may be a bit low on calories for you. Consider eating More lean proteins and healthy saturated fats like avocados and coconut, personally I love coconut butter and coconut oil. It will help keep you in ketosis but give you enough calories to build those muscles you want. I'm actually trying to stay away from the calorie counting during this challenge because it can be very misleading. In my opinion anyways, but do what works best for you. Good luck with those goals, I also am not very well versed in the application of make-up. I doubt many of us female monks are. Then again who needs it when you already look and feel your best just by being healthy! One of these days we'll have to start a Canadian squad here in the monastery and really shake things up.

Ah, I see.

My goal is more muscle preservation while cutting fat, so I don't mind not building any muscle yet. Although I'm blessed with Noob Gains - I can lift a full 20lbs or so more now than when I started. The gains have slowed, but once I get down to my 110lbs, I'll bulk.

Ha ha, that's a good point when it comes to the make-up!

Oh, defs Canadian Monk Squad. We should come up with names. Let's do it!

Re the make-up; have you checked out the 'making faces' thread in the Women's Training forum? Lots of ideas and plenty of nerdettes to ask for advice! And tbh the best thing to do is just buy some basic stuff and play around with it. Google is also your friend, for tutorials and the like.

I have taken a quick look at it, but not in depth yet. It's a topic I'm strangely scared of.

I'll for sure be checking out tons of video and picture tutorials. And maybe dropping into MACs to see if one of their ladies can help m out.

Well done Mouse-love, all these goals look great! I agree, keep an eye on those calories; cutting too much can really set you back! No one wants to fight a dragon on an empty stomach (or a stuffed stomach. There's a dragon-slaying middle ground). Go girl, go!

Oh and also, I am currently in the process of finding my own Outfit of Wedding. So if you find any good sites... ;D (No, but seriously.)

Ha ha, really true, Leonine!

XD

I'm not sure if I'll be shopping on any sites. I'm not the best at online shopping, plus not many places ship at reasonable rates to Canada. :(

I want free shipping, too!

Though Beyond The Rack is a nice recent find. Haven't really figured it out fully yet, though.

LOVE this intro!

That is a strict calorie allotment!

You are seriously hardcore. I know you will slay Flabxia! 

Good luck, my friend! :)

LOVE this intro!

That is a strict calorie allotment!

You are seriously hardcore. I know you will slay Flabxia! 

Good luck, my friend! :)

Ha ha, thanks, Cheechoe!

Dudes! For my height, my -20% of my TDEE is 1600! I'm short, okay? XD

Late update on yesterday:

- 1500cal

- breakfast: 2 eggs

- lunch: spinach, jicama, feta + balsamic salad & mini angus slider

- dinner: 3pc salmon sashimi, 3pc tuna sashimi, 2pc Isobe, 2pc salmon skin maki

- snacks: 3/4c cherries, 1 no sugar added pudding, assorted fruit pieces, one mini wrap roll thing, tea with 3tbsp cream

No physical activity.

I may have to update my challenge goals and reduce my goals slightly - in addition to my cousin's marriage, my aunt has recently passed away, so a lot of my time in the first week will be spent at my uncle's house. We'll see if I can catch it up over two weeks, though. Diet is kinda gonna be on a standstill, though. It might have to wait, save the caloric deficit.

Dudes! For my height, my -20% of my TDEE is 1600! I'm short, okay? XD

Ha!  I actually have double your TDEE!

I may have to update my challenge goals and reduce my goals slightly - in addition to my cousin's marriage, my aunt has recently passed away, so a lot of my time in the first week will be spent at my uncle's house. We'll see if I can catch it up over two weeks, though. Diet is kinda gonna be on a standstill, though. It might have to wait, save the caloric deficit.

Do what you have to for your family.  The challenge can wait.  Life is more important.

All the love and support for your family, Mouse.  We'll be here when you are ready to get back in the game.

You gotta do what you gotta do. If your family needs you, then you need to be there for them. Sorry for your loss.

Fair Mouse, I´m glad to see such a fantastic challenge in the making but saddened for your resent loss. You have my entire support.

I am certain you will come out on top as you have always done. Your writings are amazing and fun! Haha.

once more returning to the mini-quest of logging in hopes of challenging her friendly rival, Zuel. Please note! From August 16 to August 20, the days of getting to and attending and getting back from the Wedding of R, Mouse will likely not count any of those days towards her goal.

OH! You are on!! XD 

Ha!  I actually have double your TDEE!

Do what you have to for your family.  The challenge can wait.  Life is more important.

All the love and support for your family, Mouse.  We'll be here when you are ready to get back in the game.

D:

Don't you even!!!

Gah! I hate all you tall people, able to eat, like, twice what I can eat! *sobs*

Ah well, hopefully by (after) Christmas - for the sake of not regaining everything all in one go - I'll be able to eat those 1900 maintenance cals. I'm looking forward to that - my measly freedom compared to you tall folks'... indulgences! [/bittersarcasmofshortperson]

Thanks, SFG. Unfortunately, both diet and fitness are taking a hit this week, but fortunately the time to connect with family is giving me opportunities to talk to my cousin the acupuncturist and my cousins re: make up and dresses. 

It's also really putting into perspective the importance of health.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend's grandmother is in hospital with what might either be a bladder infection (no biggie) or kidney failure (basically the fell swoop to her massing health issues). So we'll see tomorrow whether I need to really re-evaluate what I can do this challenge or not. Worst case, I'll be back to trying to make progressions in CC versus heavy lifting. Great thing about bodyweight - it can be done at home early in the morning to free up the rest of the day.

You gotta do what you gotta do. If your family needs you, then you need to be there for them. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks, Kishi.

I appreciate the support. :3

Fair Mouse, I´m glad to see such a fantastic challenge in the making but saddened for your resent loss. You have my entire support.

I am certain you will come out on top as you have always done. Your writings are amazing and fun! Haha.

OH! You are on!! XD 

Thank you, Zuel. *hugs*

Ha ha, I'm glad my writings can amuse! I feel like I really might just continue in this vein for all my challenges - maybe add in some music. But it's really fun writing up all my own quests. After Flabxia, it's Infermius (or something) - with a big goal of getting my lifts above 100lbs (save for OHP and powercleans - OHP I can't do due to shoulder issues, but powercleans should be okay after I learn how to do 'em), and maybe doing 1 chin up and pull-up (or more). From there... I'll have to find more!

Oh, ho ho! Absolutely!

Though, maybe after this week? The family is holding a novena - a series of 9 days of prayer - in memory of my aunt... At which there is a crap-ton of bad, bad and immeasurable foods. But I'm sticking to the idea of one layer on a plate and spreading out the food so I put it all into perspective. Thankfully, they're small disposable plates, so I can't stack 'em tall. XD

DAY TWO

So, today was the funeral and interment, so it was a big day. It was also the day I realized that, with all the traditional foods we Filipinos serve at these kinds of events, my diet is totally not keto this week. But, I can still stay reasonably within my "luxurious" - read: I'm short - caloric limit.

Iron Bar

0/10 SS

0/8 Karate

0/11 Cardio

(Goal may need to be revised, pending next week's 3x goal)

No workout today as we attended the evening novena instead of Karate class.

Fruit of Keto

Cheat day - no way around it, including eating only veg as only carrots were left. What happened to people hating broccoli?!

Approx 1600-1700cal (under 1800cal goal for first week)

No breakfast

Lunch: 1c fried garlic rice, 1c broccoli (mix of fresh and cooked with beef), 1/4c pancit (a traditional long noodle dish with mixed vegetables which symbolises long life in Filipino culture and is often served on birthdays and special events), 1 drumstick fried chicken (no breading, just the chicken - not sure if there's a better name for this), 1/2 chocolate chip cookie, approx 100g swiss roll cake (mix of vanilla and mango cakes, avoided excess icing), small piece (1"x1") corn... flan? 

Dinner: 1c fried garlic rice, 1/2c steamed rice, 3 cherry tomatoes (wtf, guys - you eat all the freakin' broccoli again?!), 1 drumstick fried chicken, 1/4c pancit, 1 two-bite brownie, 1/4c grapes

Snack: 1 handful cashews, 1 bottle Danone yogurt drink (80cal)

Blessing of Heal

Researched (Guy researched, more accurately) Magnesium, Potassium, Vit C - SUPPLEMENTS PURCHASED!

Spoke with cousin re:acupuncture briefly - nothing set, but intention there.

Research into muscle fatigue - initial research into Magnesium, Potassium reveals that I'm short on Potassium by a shit ton and thus this is where not only my persistent muscle fatigue, but also potentially my stomach issues, are coming from.

1/3 complete, ish.

In the coming weeks, I will be eating more avocados (although with them no longer in season, that's freakin' expensive and I may have to look for more potassium/magnesium sources) and spinach. I will also take my supplements and see if they help with muscle fatigue and stomach issues.

I will also be seeing my doctor this Sunday to see if there's anything else wrong with my stomach.

After the novena is finished, I'll contact my cousin re:booking an appointment/dropping by.

Outfit of Wedding

No progress - instead, browsing Etsy for things I hope I can wear when I'm at my goal weight. 'Cause nothing motivates me more than looking fine in a freakin' armoured hoodie.

I mean, what else would be more fitting for a knight who slays the Dragon Flabxia?

Sorry for your loss, Mouse. Hang in there, last challenge I got derailed when we lost my father-in-law. It's a very stressful time so don't add extra stress on yourself by trying to keep up too hard. As for the supplements, I highly recommend some form of omega 3's. They say fermented cod liver oil is best but my husband really hates fish and the smells alone turns him off so I get the fish oil gelcaps.

such a fun write up!

armored hoodie?

Thanks!

And armoured hoodie? Indeed, Sir.

Sorry for your loss, Mouse. Hang in there, last challenge I got derailed when we lost my father-in-law. It's a very stressful time so don't add extra stress on yourself by trying to keep up too hard. As for the supplements, I highly recommend some form of omega 3's. They say fermented cod liver oil is best but my husband really hates fish and the smells alone turns him off so I get the fish oil gelcaps.

Thanks, Charissa.

I think I'm okay for Omega 3's, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on them as well, as I've been lacking fish (trying to eat a can of tuna in the afternoons, but sometimes it's hard). I'll for sure be taking it easy - at least during the first week - but hopefully I can get on track in the next few weeks.

Thank you, Zuel. *hugs*

Ha ha, I'm glad my writings can amuse! I feel like I really might just continue in this vein for all my challenges - maybe add in some music. But it's really fun writing up all my own quests. After Flabxia, it's Infermius (or something) - with a big goal of getting my lifts above 100lbs (save for OHP and powercleans - OHP I can't do due to shoulder issues, but powercleans should be okay after I learn how to do 'em), and maybe doing 1 chin up and pull-up (or more). From there... I'll have to find more!

Oh, ho ho! Absolutely!

Though, maybe after this week? The family is holding a novena - a series of 9 days of prayer - in memory of my aunt... At which there is a crap-ton of bad, bad and immeasurable foods. But I'm sticking to the idea of one layer on a plate and spreading out the food so I put it all into perspective. Thankfully, they're small disposable plates, so I can't stack 'em tall. XD

=D

Oh you can be sure they are amusing. I just recently found the blog "B*tch I slay dragons" and found it very entertaining. Also keep that ambition! Power lifting Mouse is awesome Mouse!

Of course, no worries. This kind of events come first. Take your time, I will be here.  =D

DAY TWO

So, today was the funeral and interment, so it was a big day. It was also the day I realized that, with all the traditional foods we Filipinos serve at these kinds of events, my diet is totally not keto this week. But, I can still stay reasonably within my "luxurious" - read: I'm short - caloric limit.

Outfit of Wedding

No progress - instead, browsing Etsy for things I hope I can wear when I'm at my goal weight. 'Cause nothing motivates me more than looking fine in a freakin' armoured hoodie.

I mean, what else would be more fitting for a knight who slays the Dragon Flabxia?

Holy! How come I didn´t know about armored hoodies!?

On the good side: these days could be considered as a well deserved rest and recovery time. And you are conscious of your goals while eating, so you are less prone to derail from it. =D

Well, again, it's a freaking funeral. Someone who was in your life is not there anymore. It's definitely exceptional circumstances, and your eating with your family like that symbolizes your nearness to them in the time of trouble. You do what you gotta do.

Now get back on track.