Journey of Jo Artemis

Jo Artemis

So, this is my second challenge and I'm excited! I really like the idea of an epic quest, so can't wait to get started. So, my main quest:

To find balance

Whether in my life and/or in myself, I hope to feel good, make healthier choices/decisions, and get stronger.

My motivation: honestly, I'm tired of feeling like crap and not doing anything about it. So, I've refined my goals from last time and we'll see what happens.

My goals:

1) I will be strong in body: this means that I will go to a yoga class twice a week, one day is already ironed out, the other depends a bit on my work schedule and may have to move each week. I will keep an account of everything using an excel spread sheet and also an app on my phone that will remind me to go. :) Grading: 12/42 days= A, 10/42 days= B, etc.

2) I will be strong in mind: this means I will try my hand at meditation, four days a week in the morning, Monday through Thursday. I'll also use a spreadsheet to keep track and that same app on my phone that I'm loving right now. I'll start the meditation at 1 minute and increase by 30 seconds each week. Grading will go by days, 24/42=A, etc.

3) I will be attentive regarding my food: this means that I'm going to watch what I eat a little more, but I want to get really specific and narrow my focus. So, I'll start with bread (since chocolate is almost completely wiped from my diet anyway). I eat a muffin for breakfast every day and occasionally some French bread, so I'm going to reduce the amount of bread I eat every week (though that means I'm going to have to find something filling that I don't have to cook to replace it...). If I eat bread 7 days a week at the start, then by the end I want to be down to 1-sh, and cut out bread 1 day per week.  

Life quest:

1) I will have discipline: this is something I really need to work on. Right now I'll focus it on my writing. I will write 1000 words on my current novel 6 days a week. I'll do this in the mornings Monday through Saturday, with Sunday off. Or I may work on something else, but that is if I feel like it.

That is about as much as I can handle at the moment, especially with school starting soon. Hopefully I'm not missing anything. Good luck everyone!!

I like your goals!  And your motivation :)  Getting tired of feeling horrible all the time was what got me started leveling up my life.  I have a very similar Life Quest, although yours is far more ambitions than mine (which is 300 words a day).  But I have summer classes, so I'm going to say that means I should cut myself some slack.  I think tracking your goals is smart, if you know you'll have to write something down you'll probably be more likely to follow through with it :)  Best of luck!

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Beautiful.

I think you have started on your balanced ways already by your description of your goals. I especially like the Mo-Thu focus leaving weekends more free. Any more thoughts on breakfast alternatives? Personally, I love eggs!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I like your goals!  And your motivation :)  Getting tired of feeling horrible all the time was what got me started leveling up my life.  I have a very similar Life Quest, although yours is far more ambitions than mine (which is 300 words a day).  But I have summer classes, so I'm going to say that means I should cut myself some slack.  I think tracking your goals is smart, if you know you'll have to write something down you'll probably be more likely to follow through with it :)  Best of luck!

Thanks! Yeah, that can be a pretty good motivator and I'm sure it's one a lot of people share. That's cool you have a similar Life Quest! What sort of stuff do you write? Hey, 300 words is still pretty awesome, and I can definitely understand how classes can eat up a lot of time. I just find I work better with writing bigger chunks at a time. I like writing stuff down because it gives me a focus for each day and also helps me track my progress/what I've done, of course. Thanks and best of luck to you too!

Beautiful.

I think you have started on your balanced ways already by your description of your goals. I especially like the Mo-Thu focus leaving weekends more free. Any more thoughts on breakfast alternatives? Personally, I love eggs!

Thank you! I'm still stumped on the breakfast foods. I like eggs but they don't really fill me up plus I get tired of them after a while. Plus, I really don't like cooking in the morning. :) I'm thinking of making paleo-style muffins, that way I can make a batch of them for the rest of the week and I don't have to worry about making anything in the morning. It's still bread, but I figure paleo muffins can be an exception.

I tend to not eat breakfast foods for breakfast.  People think I'm weird, but I'd rather eat chicken.  And I know eggs are supposed to be filling, but for some reason they just aren't for me.  But I've found if I hard boil a ton of them, I can pair a hard boiled egg with a piece of chicken that's been in the microwave 15 seconds, and that stays with me longer :)  Or some days I just eat a giant salad.  Then people think I'm really weird.

I prefer writing in bigger chunks at a time, too.   But, lately, I haven't been writing at all, due to being "too busy."  I figure the days I'm short on time, I'll stop at 300, but days I feel like doing more, I will go for it :)  I have a hard time putting a genre to what I write...YA adventure/fantasy, I suppose.  But I also write a ton of stuff about my goals/plans and their progress, because that really helps me focus and track progress, to :)

One day, your heart will stop beating, and none of your fears will matter.  What will matter is how you lived.

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Love this Jo!!!!

Do you have a blender? I love smoothie breakfasts.... it takes two minutes to throw things in there and pour it into a glass!

Also, great life goal! You are going to do so much writing! How fun!!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Week 1 Report:

Not done with the whole week, but thought I'd post what I've done so far.

1) I have gone to yoga once so far this week, and it seriously kicked my butt. I almost didn't go because I was so tired but I forced myself up and out. So I went and I enjoyed myself, and I already feel better for going (and more awake, ha ha). Really sore, LOL, but better, and stronger.

2) I've also managed to do meditation for one minute four days this week. Not sure if I'm really doing it right, although I did do some research on it before I started, and I'm not sure yet if it's helping, but I'm willing to stick with it. I am finding however that it helps me focus before I start writing, which is kind of cool. :)

3) This goal was probably easiest this week since I didn't really change anything (which is what I had planned). I ate tons of bread, but will start cutting back little by little over the coming weeks.

4) As for the writing, I've written 4k words (bad words, but better bad words than none at all). It would have been 5k but I missed a day, so I'll make that up on Sunday and have the other day as my day off from writing this week.

So overall pretty good for the first week. :) Let's hope I can stick with it the entire six weeks.

I tend to not eat breakfast foods for breakfast.  People think I'm weird, but I'd rather eat chicken.  And I know eggs are supposed to be filling, but for some reason they just aren't for me.  But I've found if I hard boil a ton of them, I can pair a hard boiled egg with a piece of chicken that's been in the microwave 15 seconds, and that stays with me longer :)  Or some days I just eat a giant salad.  Then people think I'm really weird.

I prefer writing in bigger chunks at a time, too.   But, lately, I haven't been writing at all, due to being "too busy."  I figure the days I'm short on time, I'll stop at 300, but days I feel like doing more, I will go for it :)  I have a hard time putting a genre to what I write...YA adventure/fantasy, I suppose.  But I also write a ton of stuff about my goals/plans and their progress, because that really helps me focus and track progress, to :)

LOL, that's actually a good idea about the breakfast. I think I'll stick with something more breakfast-y though. :) I don't like eating in the morning usually and the idea of food doesn't sit well with me but I know I have to eat something otherwise I'd never make it to lunch, so I may have to start small. Maybe an apple or something.

I feel the time crunch too. I'm trying to write first thing in the morning so that way I have it done and I can go about my day and get other stuff done. Otherwise I know it won't happen (or it'll be harder to get started). Sounds like you have a great plan! That's cool about the YA adventure/fantasy! If you don't mind my asking, what's it about? I write a bit of both, YA fantasy and adult fantasy. 

These goals look fantastic, Jo! Kudos to you for getting started on meditation, we can try (and try) to strengthen our minds this go around. X) What's the app you were mentioning in your intro?

Thanks! Meditation is proving to be an interesting challenge, LOL. I feel like I just sit there most of the time and I can't stop thinking about all these extraneous things. I figure the more I do it the better at it I'll be. :) I'm trying out a new-to-me app, Habitual. I'm not sure that I like it though. I have it set to remind me to do stuff at certain times and on certain days but it reminds me every day and I can't figure it out, so I may have to try something else.

Love this Jo!!!!

Do you have a blender? I love smoothie breakfasts.... it takes two minutes to throw things in there and pour it into a glass!

Also, great life goal! You are going to do so much writing! How fun!!

Thanks! I do have a blender, that's a good idea. I'll have to see what I can find to blend. What kind of smoothies/recipes do you like?

Thanks, I hope to get a lot of writing done!

LOL, that's actually a good idea about the breakfast. I think I'll stick with something more breakfast-y though. :) I don't like eating in the morning usually and the idea of food doesn't sit well with me but I know I have to eat something otherwise I'd never make it to lunch, so I may have to start small. Maybe an apple or something.

I feel the time crunch too. I'm trying to write first thing in the morning so that way I have it done and I can go about my day and get other stuff done. Otherwise I know it won't happen (or it'll be harder to get started). Sounds like you have a great plan! That's cool about the YA adventure/fantasy! If you don't mind my asking, what's it about? I write a bit of both, YA fantasy and adult fantasy. 

I used to eat an apple with almond butter for breakfast every day.  I still do so occasionally, because it is soooooooo good :)  I also like bananas with almond butter, although they can't quite compete with apples for me.  Find what works for you, and do that :)

I actually write better in the afternoon and evening for some reason.  I'm not really sure why...but I seem to write  better later in the day.  The novel I'm focusing on for this challenge is about an exiled orphan trying to save a family being held hostage by the people who conquered her kingdom.  How's your own writing going?  Any blogs/books/resources you particularly like?

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Thanks! I do have a blender, that's a good idea. I'll have to see what I can find to blend. What kind of smoothies/recipes do you like?

Thanks, I hope to get a lot of writing done!

Awesome!

I kind of just throw things into a blender... my friend has a bunch of great green smoothie recipes at www.thebettyrocker.com

Usually some fruit, some protein powder, some greens....whatever is around in my house! :)

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Week 1 Summary:

Okay, so it's the end of week 1 and the start week 2. Whoo! Time to take stock of what I've got so far:

1) Did not make it to my second day of yoga last week. So that would be 1/12 planned days so far. I'll have to make sure I go to my yoga class twice this week.

2) I did my meditation for 1 minute for four days last week, so that is 4/24 days. This week I'm increasing the time by half a minute. Should be interesting. :)

3) This one is an odd one to try to grade, as I'm trying to decrease not increase, but my plan is to eat bread like I normally do for the first 6 days of this week and then on day 7 I just won't eat it and I'll replace it with something else. I think I'll go with an apple to start and then go from there.  

4) I missed a day for this but I made it up yesterday, so I have 6k/36k words. Not bad for the first week.

And that's it for me. Hope week 2 is awesome for everyone!

I used to eat an apple with almond butter for breakfast every day.  I still do so occasionally, because it is soooooooo good :)  I also like bananas with almond butter, although they can't quite compete with apples for me.  Find what works for you, and do that :)

I actually write better in the afternoon and evening for some reason.  I'm not really sure why...but I seem to write  better later in the day.  The novel I'm focusing on for this challenge is about an exiled orphan trying to save a family being held hostage by the people who conquered her kingdom.  How's your own writing going?  Any blogs/books/resources you particularly like?

Ooh, an apple with almond butter sounds really good! I'll have to try that. It might take some trial and error but I'll find stuff I like. :)

Hey, whatever works! I know of an author who only writes between 8 and 12, though I can't remember that author's name unfortunately. That story sounds really interesting! You should definitely submit it somewhere once it's finished! The writing is going well. I plotted the story out a bit in advance and it's so much easier to keep going when I have a direction to follow. I recently read The Art of War for Writers and loved it. Definitely a good book to have on hand. What about you? Any you like?

Apple and almond butter is awesome!

Try Pears, plum and especially apricot filled with peanut butter.... It is far too good. =)

Great start! Keep it up!

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

Nice work in week 1!  Sometimes goals can be hard to grade, for those I just go with how I feel I've done/how much effort I've put into it.  Just do your best :)

Ooh, an apple with almond butter sounds really good! I'll have to try that. It might take some trial and error but I'll find stuff I like. :)

Hey, whatever works! I know of an author who only writes between 8 and 12, though I can't remember that author's name unfortunately. That story sounds really interesting! You should definitely submit it somewhere once it's finished! The writing is going well. I plotted the story out a bit in advance and it's so much easier to keep going when I have a direction to follow. I recently read The Art of War for Writers and loved it. Definitely a good book to have on hand. What about you? Any you like?

It took a lot of trial and error for me :)  I'm still figuring stuff out.  You'll find what works for you.  The reason I tend to not eat breakfast foods for breakfast is because most "traditional" breakfasts are either junk food, not paleo, or not filling for me.  Omelets work pretty, especially if you're eating dairy.  Even if you're not, you can pack them with meat and veggies, and they keep me full for hours :)

Someday I'd like to submit something I've written :)  But that involves finishing it...hence my writing goal this challenge.  I'll look up The Art of War for Writers, it sounds interesting!  I follow Chuck Wendig over at www.terribleminds.com (he swears like a sailor and it's hilarious, but don't read it with innocent eyes watching :) ).  I also like the book Writing Fiction for Dummies (Randy Ingermanson and Peter Economy), it has a good breakdown of all the components of a novel, and a lot of good writing exercises.  Randy Ingermanson has a website with some cool articles too, his Snowflake Method was what really got me started writing actual stories :)

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Oi, I keep meaning to post and then I get tired and say, "Oh, I'll do it tomorrow" and then I never do. Anyway, here is my progress. This is what, week 4? I have written about 20k words. I forget how much I was aiming for, but I'd say I'm well on my way there, and have even been managing to take a day off from it every week. The meditation is going semi-well. I have been doing it four days a week and increasing by half a minute, so by now I'm up to two minutes and thirty seconds. Sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't, but I think overall it's helping. Yoga is not going so well, but I kind of expected that. So far in four weeks I have only gone to the class three times, but I figure this is way better than the last challenge, so things must be looking up and that I'm building a good habit, if very slowly. And of course school has started so now it's twice as hard, but I'm determined to create balance in my life, so even if I only go once a week during the semester, I'll be happy. Giving up bread is going surprisingly well. I have gone three full days without bread (and have cut bread two days a week so far), and have replaced my bready breakfast with eggs and apple slices, sometimes a banana instead of the apple, but it seems to be working pretty well. Still experimenting and looking for something more filling, but I will get there. Anyway, that is my update. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Hey, Joe!  We've missed you!

Good job with your writing!  20k is good number :)  Meditation takes time to get used to, at least for me.  My brain won't shut up.  But I think it's starting to learn.  And even if you only get to yoga once a week, it's better than not going.  Also nice work in cutting bread, and replacing your old breakfast of bread.  We're all experimenting :)  Just keep messing around, sooner or later you'll find something that works for you :)

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Oi, I keep meaning to post and then I get tired and say, "Oh, I'll do it tomorrow" and then I never do. Anyway, here is my progress. This is what, week 4? I have written about 20k words. I forget how much I was aiming for, but I'd say I'm well on my way there, and have even been managing to take a day off from it every week. The meditation is going semi-well. I have been doing it four days a week and increasing by half a minute, so by now I'm up to two minutes and thirty seconds. Sometimes it goes well and sometimes it doesn't, but I think overall it's helping. Yoga is not going so well, but I kind of expected that. So far in four weeks I have only gone to the class three times, but I figure this is way better than the last challenge, so things must be looking up and that I'm building a good habit, if very slowly. And of course school has started so now it's twice as hard, but I'm determined to create balance in my life, so even if I only go once a week during the semester, I'll be happy. Giving up bread is going surprisingly well. I have gone three full days without bread (and have cut bread two days a week so far), and have replaced my bready breakfast with eggs and apple slices, sometimes a banana instead of the apple, but it seems to be working pretty well. Still experimenting and looking for something more filling, but I will get there. Anyway, that is my update. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Great update, and great to see you!

I agree with CB, meditation takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of practice so I think you're well on your way there :redface:

Three times yoga is a lot better than none, do you enjoy it?

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Week 6:

I was not nearly as active here as I was hoping to be this challenge. I'll have to try to do better for the next one. So anyway, a summary of everything I've done so far. Well, last week was bad and we'll just leave it at that. This week though is turning out fairly okay. Still only been to yoga a few times, not nearly as much as I wanted to, but that's okay. I think I'm going to turn my focus first onto my eating habits and focus fully on fixing that before I add on the yoga. Doing both while I work and go to school and all the other stuff I'm doing is too much right now, and I really want to fix my eating habits first. Anyway, Not much yoga, but I have done the meditation thing pretty well. I'm up to three and a half minutes, and I've done it four days a week like I planned. Some days are still tough, but it is getting easier with practice. I'm getting a lot of writing done, which I'm a bit surprised by, LOL. I've written 33k over the last six weeks. I've cut bread out quite a bit. Still have a ways to go, but by the end of the week I'm hoping to have only eaten bread one day this week (I'm mostly eating bananas and a handful of almonds for breakfast. I tried making my own oatmeal, and it didn't turn out so well, but I found a few other recipes I want to try). I'm really trying to go mostly gluten free just to see how my body reacts.

Hope everyone else is doing well this week!

Great update, and great to see you!

I agree with CB, meditation takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of practice so I think you're well on your way there :redface:

Three times yoga is a lot better than none, do you enjoy it?

Thanks! I think I'm finally starting to see a bit of difference in the meditation which I'm happy about. :) I do really like yoga. The problem is trying to force myself up and out to go (I like going to a class for the social aspect and just to get out and do something non-work-or-errand related, but it's such a pain sometimes) , so if I do continue it I may have to make some adjustments.

Hey, Joe!  We've missed you!

Good job with your writing!  20k is good number :)  Meditation takes time to get used to, at least for me.  My brain won't shut up.  But I think it's starting to learn.  And even if you only get to yoga once a week, it's better than not going.  Also nice work in cutting bread, and replacing your old breakfast of bread.  We're all experimenting :)  Just keep messing around, sooner or later you'll find something that works for you :)

Thanks! Oh, and thanks for the writing recommendations! I'll have to check those out. I didn't do so well with participating on the forum this challenge, but I want to fix that for the next one. I know how you feel on the meditation, my brain is always so cluttered with Stuff. :) I am rethinking my yoga schedule also for the next challenge. I'm kind of having fun experimenting with foods too. Currently I'm trying to cut a lot of gluten products and replacing them with other stuff (not just bread). I'm interested in seeing what happens. Hope you're doing well!

A bad week here and there is to be expected :)  The important thing is to do what you've done, and bounce back from it.  Overall, you seem to have done well with this challenge.

Making changes is a long-term thing.  I tend to hit a threshold of doing things and then just go "hahaha no" if I try to do too much at once.  So it might be smart for you to really just focus one one big thing (diet) rather than try to do that and add in yoga.  If it works for you, then it's a good thing to be doing :)  My mom was eating totally gluten free for a while, and is still almost gluten free.  Just be careful you don't sub another form of junk for the gluten-y foods :)  It certainly helped her feel better, so hopefully you'll see good results, too!

-Henri Junttila

My current challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines