My name is Chrissa and this is my world.

Chrissa

As promised, I am back for my second challenge and this time I'm coming into it a bit more prepared. Since my first challenge I have let myself continue to go back out of control and I am highly disappointed in myself for it. Because of my lack of vigilance I have begun to show signs of exposure to the deadly toxins of the "Standard North American Diet" or SNAD-virus. These signs include increased appetite and mindless eating, headaches, lethargy, acne, poor sleep, bloating, weight gain and digestion issues. My husband has also shown some of these symptoms as well as respiratory problems due to exposure. If treated immediately the effects are reversible but left unchecked, full infection is imminent.  A 6-week Detoxification Protocol and Strength Training Regimen has been recommended for full recovery.

virus biohazard

Detoxification Protocol

Dietary Restrictions:

-Subject is to eat following the normal restrictions as outlined in the Paleo diet.

-Subject is to limit consumption of caffeine, nuts, seeds, fruit and permissible dairy.

-Subject is to follow the 6-week Operation Slim Down Meal Guide with minimal modification.

Drink plenty of water to help flush the toxins from the body.

Rest. Proper sleep is necessary for the body's recovery during the detoxification process.

Failing to follow these recommendations will result in the failure to reverse the effects of exposure and possible full infection.

dumbbells

Training Schedule

Monday: Recreational Activity

Tuesday: Dumbbell Division Workout

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Hapkido/ HIIT

Friday: Dumbbell Division Workout

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Dumbbell Division Workout

Activities should include: frisbee, swimming, cycling, indoor wall climbing, kayaking and other activities designed to get the heart rate up while having fun. On rest days it is further recommended to remain active with stretching and moving frequently at a moderate pace. It is also a good time to practice combat techniques so that subject will be fit for battle once the healing process is complete.

Subject is to report here on 07.28.13 at 20:00 for initial evaluation and every Sunday at the same time for re-evaluation. 

Motivation

Main Quest: Recovery
From the articles I have read recently in desperation to regain control, my main problem seems to be leptin resistance. My main goal for the next six weeks will be getting my leptin back in order by taking the advice of this article. Now, we all know there's no underpants collecting here! I'll be taking action with the following missions:

1. Eat 100% Paleo for the entire 6 weeks. It sounds hard but nothing worth doing is easy. I really want to make my main goal possible and this is the best fix there is. The primary reward for mission completion will be +5 Constitution.
  2. Do strength training 3 times a week. I've had dumbbells around for a while now and have yet to start using them seriously. I've mostly stuck to body weight exercises because of my familiarity with them. I've fallen off of my good workout habits in general and this is my way to level up training. Full completion of this mission will be rewarded with +4 Strength, +2 Stamina and +2 Agility.
  3. Keep a log. I know my logs are usually quite detailed and I tend not to leave anything out of them. I haven't logged anything since the last challenge ended and that's part of where I fell off the wagon. I am adopting Zuel's simple and clean logging style this time and forgoing the extra work of inputting everything I eat and do into MFP. I tend to obsess over macro nutrients and calories too much when I use that method and I am not very pleasant to be around when all my downtime is used up with the inputting and obsessing. Mission reward will be +2 Charisma for being less anal and more relaxed.

Life Quest: Replace Retail Therapy with Recreation

We have about $8000 in credit card debt to pay off before we can start saving for our first house and move out of the parent's basement. (Embarrassing at our age, I know.) I am very bad for using retail therapy when I am feeling down on myself or to fight boredom when I'm trying to keep my mind off of eating. Meanwhile, my reading list isn't getting any shorter and I have all these unfinished projects and ideas sitting around that would do just as well to keep me entertained while possibly even supplementing my income. I've been lazy here and going for the quick fix instead of taking the longer, more fulfilling path. 

As a side note my husband is also unhappy with the weight he's gained in the last few months and is going to be my silent partner for my challenge. He'll be attempting to go Paleo and join my strength training for the next 6 weeks with me. His added support will help keep me accountable and we tend to push each other harder when working together. With him as my wing-man, we will survive this outbreak and take some zombies down!

umbrella

Parameters set. Initiating program...

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Easy, there. If you start groaning and shuffling, though, we're gonna have to do something about it..

You mean let the aikidoka practice, right? Right?

Anyway, like Kishi said, those are some awesomely specific goals. Good luck eating 100% paleo! I know I'd never be able to do it (I love oatmeal too much) and I'm constantly amazed when people can and do pull it off!

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Fantastic challenge~! >w<

So looking forward to seeing your challenge progress. Way to go on eating 100% Paleo~! You can do eet!

I'm with you on seeing that effects in more than one way from a standard diet - my boyfriend and I have both noticed that we get hyper-emotional (him anxious, me insecure) when we eat too many refined carbs. Since cutting down on them again, we both are able to feel a lot better and a lot more mellow.

Hope both you and your husband will chase success/recovery/non-infection. ... I'mma go stock up on canned tuna and shotguns now. Just in case. 'Cause now I'm freaked out.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

WWWoooooaaaahhhhhh with evaluation report !!!

Get decontamination going and power recovering !

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Easy, there. If you start groaning and shuffling, though, we're gonna have to do something about it.

Such an amazingly detailed and specific challenge! Spousal support makes it all the sweeter. We got your back, so get ready to roll.

The shuffling and groaning will come if they keep working Crossfit into our Hapkido sessions while they are casual over the summer. I intend to push myself on my home workouts as well. There might be other shuffling and groaning after the challenge as well if he keeps up the workouts with me and we build some nice muscle.

You mean let the aikidoka practice, right? Right?

Anyway, like Kishi said, those are some awesomely specific goals. Good luck eating 100% paleo! I know I'd never be able to do it (I love oatmeal too much) and I'm constantly amazed when people can and do pull it off!

:friendly_wink: Hapkido...yeah. As I said above. 

My usual diet before falling off the wagon was about 80% Paleo and I was able to maintain it for several months at a time once I got going. I've never gone for the full 100% but it's only six weeks then I can add in a treat now and then if I even feel like it anymore. I'm not even thinking of a treat as in sweets but the occasional Greek yogurt, cheese or kefir. I remember what it was like not to crave sweets, I loved it. I thought honey and most fruits were too sweet and didn't enjoy them as much. I want to feel it again. I used to love my daily oatmeal breakfasts but then I discovered two equally yummy concoctions in my own kitchen. Coconut Chia Protein Pudding and Cauliflower Porridge. Sounds very odd but I'm willing to give the recipe to anyone who wants to give them a try.

I'mma go stock up on canned tuna and shotguns now. Just in case. 'Cause now I'm freaked out.

That was the point to this theme for me. I need to freak myself out to get back on track. Desperate times and all that. When it comes to your health it really is life or death and I fear at the rate I've been going with the sugar and caffeine I'm going to burn myself out. Or worse, end up diabetic.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and I wish all of you the best of luck on your own challenges. I've had a peek at them and they look awesome. Monks gonna dominate this challenge for sure!

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Project Chrissa 0

The primary evaluation really hit home for me tonight. I'm a lot farther gone than I realized. Like every good zombie apocalypse, knowing the full situation makes it so much worse. The odds are definitely stacked against us and it's time to fight for our very survival. Tomorrow I am ready to meet this challenge head on. 

Project Chrissa activated.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

That was the point to this theme for me. I need to freak myself out to get back on track. Desperate times and all that. When it comes to your health it really is life or death and I fear at the rate I've been going with the sugar and caffeine I'm going to burn myself out. Or worse, end up diabetic.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and I wish all of you the best of luck on your own challenges. I've had a peek at them and they look awesome. Monks gonna dominate this challenge for sure!

Freaking ourselves out is sometimes the best way to do it. It is scary, but you're right - we only get one shot at this. We gotta make it our best.

I'm really happy it won't take that burn out or diabetes diagnosis to convince you to act. You're steps ahead just by deciding to act now rather than later.

You kick this creeping infection in its gross and yucky backside!!

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Ack!  I nearly missed your thread! 

Love the theme, Chrissa.  It may be super nerdy, but conversations about how we'd cope with the collapse of civilization (whether it be via economic, violence or zombies) have been a pretty good motivator to keep my wife and I moving.  Also, hapkido may be one of the greatest anti-zombie self defense styles out there.  If you snap the knee, a casual stroll can keep you ahead of the flesh-eating masses.  Just sayin'.

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Log file 07.29.13, Day 1:

04:00: Woke up from a dream that I ate some cake and ruined my challenge before it even began. I was filled with a moment of relief when the fog of sleep cleared and then the headache hit me full on. I had gone to sleep at 21:00 the night before and made sure I was properly hydrated so I do not understand what brought it on.

04:15: Took supplements with a mouthful of almond milk and had a bowl of chia protein pudding flavored with cinnamon and organic baby food (apple, sweet potato and berry) and a cup of decaf, black.

08:00: Headache still persists, had trouble focusing on simple tasks. Took an Advil with a cup of decaf green tea.

09:30: Ate some turkey jerky with raw asparagus dipped in homemade mayo and a handful of other veggies including a few sliced black olives and a small pickle spear.

12:50: Ate arugula salad with some chicken breast, olive tapenade and homemade vinaigrette dressing.

14:15: Got home from work and took a 2 hour nap.

17:10: Ate Beef and broccoli stir fry with a side of leaf lettuce drizzled with tahini.

18:00 Took a light 3 km walk with Hexeter (my husband) and was feeling a little better. I intend to go to bed by 21:00 again at the latest.

Further notes: While getting dressed this morning I was hyper-aware of how tight my pants have gotten. The headache was an unexpected curve ball but it helped kill any desire I had to snack between my planned meals today and I think I owe some of my success to it. While I definitely expect to feel pretty crappy the first week or two while my body detoxifies, I know that today was too soon for it to be the reason behind my persistent headache.  I suspect it was more likely the side effect of ingesting something toxic in the past few days. 

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

04:00: Woke up from a dream that I ate some cake and ruined my challenge before it even began.

This made me laugh; I know that feeling! You know you're taking your challenge seriously when you even have nightmares about not following through. Don't worry; those too-tight items of clothing will have nothing on you in a few weeks. If they try and convince you otherwise just wave that katana at them.

Always kick higher

I've been there too with clothes going tight again. It's a great form of motivation, actually. "You fit before, clothes! I will make you fit again!" At least, it was for me.

And yeah, toxicity and the body and the like. It's not fun. It can be endured, though, and if it helps you control your eating, then all's the better.

Yay Chrissa! Your theme and challenge are great!

Further notes: While getting dressed this morning I was hyper-aware of how tight my pants have gotten. The headache was an unexpected curve ball but it helped kill any desire I had to snack between my planned meals today and I think I owe some of my success to it. While I definitely expect to feel pretty crappy the first week or two while my body detoxifies, I know that today was too soon for it to be the reason behind my persistent headache.  I suspect it was more likely the side effect of ingesting something toxic in the past few days. 

Everything can be reversed for good, specially because your situation does not seem as hard as it was during the last challenge. Things are looking up. Seize the moment!

You have all my support, brave Chrissa. Battle that infectious decease!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Log File 07.30.13, Day 2:

03:30 Got out of bed and meditated for 10 minutes

04:00 Took supplements with almond milk and ate 4oz grass-fed beef with onions and peppers on top of salad greens with homemade mayo and a cup of decaf, black.

08:00 Ate 1 cup cut strawberries and blueberries with 10 almonds and a few coconut shavings in 1/2 cup coconut milk. Tasted piece of herb-baked chicken breast.

8:45 Ate 8 shrimp. I couldn't resist they were brought to me fresh from the steamer, luckily plain and very Paleo!

13:00 Ate can of smoked herring with 1/2 an avocado, steamed asparagus and baby carrots with a side of celery sticks with salsa.

14:10 Feeling low on energy, had a cup of oolong tea.

17:15 Small piece of baked chicken breast with eggplant florentine and a cup of decaf, black.

18:30 Dumbbell Division workout session A

• push press: done with 5 lbs, going to try upping to 10 for next time.
  • pull-ups: unable to do yet so after each attempt did negatives.
  • push ups: 12, 9, and 10. It was hard after the pull up attempts.
  • side planks: right 00:58, 00:45 left 00:54, 00:50
  • no finishing move done because workout finished partner.

All around a pretty successful day. I'm wiped now so going to hit the showers and crawl into bed.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Awesome theme!  Really well organized and tied to your goals beautifully.

Kishi!  Coffee isn't the enemy and it won't tolerate your character assassination any longer! ;)

lvl 4 Astartes Monk STR 8.5 | STA 9.5 | CON 6.5 | DEX 7.75 | WIS 10 | CHA 7.25

"Burn the Calorie, Kill the Workout, Purge the Apathy"

Push Up Challenge: Yellow Belt (36)

Wow Chrissa, you are the early bird to end all early birds! O_o   

=D Very good second day. All that food reads amazing: both delicious and healthy. Specially the shrimp.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Today I'm having a bit of a rough patch, still sticking to my guns but I'm off work today and my energy is low. I got outside for a walk downtown because I needed to buy a few things and spent a little more than I anticipated so I'm still having trouble with my retail therapy side quest but it's still better than eating crap. The hardest part today is how awful I feel about myself, I think it's depression and I've been fighting it for months. Mostly right now I am feeling very down on myself because most of my clothes don't fit. I feel fat. I know it's a matter of time and it will come but right now it really sucks. Today is our rest day so maybe we'll go see Wolverine tonight. We noticed it was in the theatre when we walked by yesterday. Hopefully it will help me de-stress a little.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines