My name is Chrissa and this is my world.

Chrissa

Wow Chrissa, you are the early bird to end all early birds! O_o   

No choice when you work on an airforce base and start at 05:30 every day. I'm also in bed by 8-9pm every night until hapkido starts in September. Then it's going to get rough.

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Looks like your rational self is fighting against your emotional one. You consciously know it is only matter of time for things to get better but that does not stop how you feel right now. It´s hard to tell yourself to feel well when your body biochemically screams otherwise but still, your conscious rational self is all you have to keep fighting on. If left by its own devices the emotional body will take the route of the immediate self gratification. That usually leads to no good.

Keep yourself accountable, busy and fighting the urges you know are wrong.  Remember that you are not alone, talk to your family, talk to us, write stuff down. The movie is a great idea. 

I think you are great. Please don´t give up.

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

I'm gonna agree with Zuel - it's something that I'm experiencing recently, too. Just try to plod along - step by step. You've done this once, and fuck it, you not only can, but you will do it again. If nothing else because you want it, you deserve it and you're gonna work hard and earn it.

Go and see Wolverine - enjoy some of the badass women in there, and Hugh Jackman.

You keep going, Chrissa. Re-read your signature quote, ponder it and return to your challenge strong. You got this, girl.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Log File 07.31.13, Day 3

04:43 Got out of bed feeling fairly well rested.

04:50 Took supplements with mouthful of almond milk.

05:20 Ate chia protein pudding flavored with organic baby food with cacao nibs added and a cup of black tea.

8:15 Cup of decaf, black.

09:00 Ate 1 granny smith apple with a small handful of shaved coconut and a bison pepperoni stick from the local butcher.

13:10 Ate mixed green salad with small baked chicken breast and other veggies. Homemade balsamic vinaigrette. 1/2 cup coconut water added to a can of plain Perrier.

17:00 Ate grilled steak with zucchini roasted with a little onion, peppers and baby carrots. Local grass-fed tenderloin on my bbq. Nuff said.

18:00 Cup of decaf black.

Further notes: Low on energy today, did get out and walk all afternoon. Kept myself distracted by making some homemade pesto, dressing and spice mixes. Started making some bolster pillows for the bed. Took hot bath in Epsom salts to help relax because we didn't go to the movie (He didn't feel like it.) 

Keep yourself accountable, busy and fighting the urges you know are wrong.  Remember that you are not alone, talk to your family, talk to us, write stuff down. The movie is a great idea. 

I think you are great. Please don´t give up.

I did pretty well keeping myself busy today like you suggested and yeah, I'm learning to talk about those feelings more than trying to fight them by myself. I'm not a quitter, these trials serve to make me stronger in the end. If anything, I got the right attitude to keep me going when all else fails. I really don't want to let myself down.

I'm gonna agree with Zuel - it's something that I'm experiencing recently, too. Just try to plod along - step by step. You've done this once, and fuck it, you not only can, but you will do it again. If nothing else because you want it, you deserve it and you're gonna work hard and earn it.

Go and see Wolverine - enjoy some of the badass women in there, and Hugh Jackman.

You keep going, Chrissa. Re-read your signature quote, ponder it and return to your challenge strong. You got this, girl.

Thanks for the reminder to look at my quote again. It should be my mantra right now. I'm very grateful to have people like you and Zuel here to help me get over these stumbling blocks. I can do this.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

I'm learning to talk about those feelings more than trying to fight them by myself.

This is something I am definitely learning the value of lately - there are things going on that I normally would deal with by overeating, withdraw and spiral into depression, but having a couple of friends who know what's going on that I can text or Facebook in a mad panic really helps.

I get the weight and clothes-don't-fit thing. It's depressing as hell. But you are Chrissa, this is your world, and you are six weeks away (ok, five and a half) from showing this world exactly how you are to be feared. Right now there are zombie dogs closing in, but they are NOT going to win this battle. You KNOW they won't.

Always kick higher

Epsom salt baths... Oh, sometimes those are worlds better than movies. Hopefully it will help you feel refreshed, rested and energized for the days to come.

I can do this.

And this.

You can do this. You have your answer - you inspire a whole guild of Monks, Chrissa. Let yourself inspire you. Keep on keepin' on. Doesn't have to be glorious, just has to be one step at a time.

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

Log File 08.01.13, Day 4

04:06 woke up and meditated for 15 minutes

04:42 Took supplements with mouthful of almond milk and had a cup of coffee, black.

05:15 Ate baked tomato stuffed with ground beef, onions and peppers with half an avocado.

09:00 Ate a handful of pork rinds with a spear of asparagus and 3/4 cup of blueberries covered in melted coconut butter and cinnamon.

13:00 Ate mixed green salad with steak and other veggies. Homemade garlic lime vinaigrette. Cup of decaf, black. Was still feeling hungry and had seconds of the salad greens with a little salsa and dressing.

14:30 Immersed myself up to my neck in Cold Lake for a good dose of cold thermogenesis. (There's a reason it's called Cold Lake, yes even in August it's really fracken cold!)

16:20 Ate 5 almonds and a few veggies while preparing dinner.

17:00 Ate roasted chicken and eggplant stew with a dash of Frank's and a can of Perrier. I did end up eating quite a bit of the skin while stripping the poor bird I cooked but she was local and pasture raised so it's definitely paleo. Had a teaspoon of coconut butter because I was craving dessert afterwards.

19:15 Hapkido was cancelled so my partner Hex and I warmed up and did Tabata intervals for our sprint session doing 4 rounds of arms, core and leg exercises. 30 sec work with 1 minute rest between. Hex now knows why people hate burpees and that he needs to work his back and core a lot more. Besides the strength I could definitely work on speed.

That's all for tonight, though I did get a message on FB from a friend of mine who wants to give me some venison tomorrow  :wub:  I'm thinking homemade jerky. Back to work in the morning so I'm off to bed.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Great goals and a great start. I hope your husband stays on board for the whole challenge. I know that I wouldn't be able to keep up my workout routine if my fiancee wasn't a gym junky too.

Human Warrior       Level 11 (80%)

STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 2 | CON 2.5 | WIS 3 | CHA 7
“Don't fear failure— Not failure, but low aim, is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail."

1. 23/10/14 - ride a wild Giant Tortoise... or at least see one (Isabela Island, Galapagos Islands)

2. 20/10/2014 (MASTER QUEST) - Grade to first dan (blackbelt) in Soo Bahk Do

3. 4/10/14 - hike the Inca Trail

Log File 08.02.13, Day 5

04:10 Got out of bed.

04:18 Took supplements with a cup of almond milk combined with the dregs from my coconut milk and a scoop of midori greens. Ate 2 prosciutto egg cups with 2 baby dills and some steamed asparagus.

04:45 Cup of coffee, black. Was feeling sluggish this morning.

07:00 Tasted some beef with mushrooms and onions and ate 2 pieces of bacon( not the good stuff) and a tiny bit of chicken.

08:00 Ate a granny smith apple with some smoked salmon, a handful of raw veggies and a few slivers of almond.

12:30 Started to get hungry early and snacked on some romaine and raw mushrooms.

13:05 Ate spinach salad with chicken, some olive tapenade and homemade mayo.

14:22 Cup of decaf, black.

16:10 While preparing meal had a spoonful of coconut butter and a few shavings.

17:20 Ate grilled steak with sauteed kale, onions and garlic drizzled with tahini. Cup of white tea and 3 blueberries.

19:10 Did Dumbbell Division workout with finishing move. Very happy with all planks over 1:30 and managed 40 burpees in the 4 minute allotment.

Further notes: I've felt so behind all day but I did manage to get outside and get some sun and walk barefoot in the grass. I had serious munchies during the day and caught myself a few times walking the line. I almost ate some raisins but read the ingredients while I had them in my mouth and immediately spit them out. I almost ate more of the crap bacon too but spit it out as well. It's a step in the right direction. I also succeeded in acquiring a rather fair amount of the deer meat I mentioned and I'm happy to say I'll be eating more than just the jerky. It's after 9pm so I need to get to bed so I'll leave it here.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Well, there's a few great things about this town that I really love. We have the "Millennium Trail" which is a paved trail right through town from one end to another and it takes you though the bush a bit in a few places. I bike it often on my days off for a really good workout. Every few blocks there seems to be a playground, there are 3 near my house. My favorite one though is on top of a big hill so getting to it is a great warm-up. Up there besides the usual playground equipment is a basketball net and tennis court. I haven't tried tennis yet but shooting some hoops is always fun and a good climb on the equipment including some balance work across the top of the benches. The gym at the base has an indoor rock climbing wall that's sometimes open to the public and in the next town (about a 30 min drive) there's another climbing wall that has auto-belayers. I may just go for my belay certification come winter if I have time around my hapkido training. The best part of living on the Alberta prairie though is local grass-fed beef, veggies from the farmer's market and pastured chicken and eggs. Then if you got the right connections there's moose, elk, deer, fish and bear to be had. We really have the ability to eat well up here! 

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Log File 08.03.13, Day 6

04:48 Woke up a little late, I think it's because I had tea before bed and woke up to use the toilet at 1:30.

04:52 Took supplements with mouthful of almond milk. Ate 1 proscuitto egg cup with 1/2 avocado, a small amount of chicken on mixed greens with salsa and veggies.

06:50 Drank a yerba mate tea and nibbled on 2 small mushrooms and a tiny piece of chicken.

08:00 Ate a very small (4 in) greenish banana with chia pudding made with cacao nibs, coconut shavings and 1/2 cup blueberries. Cup of Sanka, black. (I am wondering if I should avoid this at work. It's the only decaf they have but ewww, instant.)

10:15 Snacked on a small handful of blueberries, a little romaine, a pickle spear, a few almond slivers and on a dare I ate a teaspoon of cinnamon. It was a slow day and I was getting bored. Boredom munchies suck especially after rushing through my usual easy morning routine to get out the door.

10:30 Drank some herbal tea with a little coconut milk and distracted myself by reading while on break.

12:05 Nibbled on a little more romaine, another pickle spear, a few banana pepper rings and tasted a piece of pork. I really hate it that I couldn't control the munchies today but at least I kept them paleo. I ended up making the decision to go home early (it was an offer) at 12:30 instead of hanging around the kitchen a few more hours where I'd be bored and tempted.

13:20 Ate broccoli with a few baby carrots and leeks steamed with a little coconut oil and a can of tuna for lunch. Coffee, black.

14:00 Kept self busy by working on sewing project until I ran out of materials. Snacked on a half serving of pork rinds, a teaspoon of coconut butter (it's getting addicting, first jar I've ever bought. I think I'll have to start keeping it near the nuts and limit myself.) and drank 1/2 cup almond milk. Decided I needed a new distraction and got up and out for a walk.

16:10 Stopped by the butcher shop to buy some gluten free turkey sausage and ended up sampling a cooked rib (no sauce) and a few pieces of buffalo pepperoni.

17:25 Ate 12 shrimp coated in homemade pesto with oven roasted cauliflower. Decaf coffee, black. While prepping meals I also snacked on a piece of the ham I was dicing and 4 thin spears of asparagus.

Further notes: I am a little annoyed with myself about the munchies the past two days and I hope to find better ways to circumvent them in the future. I'm just glad to be able to keep myself in check with what I am munching on when my willpower runs low. I feel so busy all the time and yet I also lose a lot of time when home by browsing online. I may have to start limiting my blog and article reading for a while and stop browsing so much. I also feel like I am always prepping food at home. I'm going to start asking Hex to help with it more when he's on days off and take out larger amounts of meats to cook so I don't have to spend so much time on daily cooking. Almost bedtime I need to go unwind. Today was rest day and there's a workout for us tomorrow after dinner.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Avoiding munchies when you're constantly surrounded by food - that is one epic battle. You're doing really well though!

And yes; browsing eats time. Serious amounts of time. Sometimes so much it's actually scary.

Always kick higher

Log File 08.04.13, Day 7

03:55 Got up.

04:04 Took supplements with water

04:10 Breakfast: Diced ham with cauliflower mashed with spinach, avocado, a few carrots and some bone broth. Decaf, black.

06:00 Ate handful of blueberries, a few strawberries, olives, hot peppers, 2 pieces of bacon and a little romaine.

08:00 Snack: granny smith apple with a pepperoni stick. Green tea. Also munched on 3 more pieces of bacon and a little chicken.

09:50 Snacked on a few almond slivers.

10:27 Continued to pick at veggies and meat throughout the morning. Resolved to make sure when I settle on a career it does NOT involve food service. Also realized I should skip the tin of sardines later that are supposed to be with my lunch salad because I had enough protein.

11:15 Cup of decaf green tea.

13:05 Lunch: Mixed green salad with garlic lime vinaigrette.

15:02 Mission Try Stand Up Paddle-boarding Complete! Though I got a mild headache while waiting in the 30 minute lineup. Possibly due to the heat.

16:08 Cup of decaf and one pistachio.

17:02 Dinner: Leftover steak with stir fried leeks, Brussels sprouts and a tiny bit of pepper bacon for flavor.

18:15 Dumbbell Division Workout, skipped the finishing move because we both were exhausted and struggling through the workout. We decided in lieu of the pull ups we can't do we'll be doing body rows and work up progression.

Further notes: I believe the munchies today had a lot more to do with what we ate for breakfast. Hex reported being hungry right after as well. I found it helped to remind myself that I need to leave at least 4 hours between calorie intake for my liver to get rest as part of fixing leptin problems.

Well, it looks like you're still making good decisions when it gets to be too much. Even if it's not going the way you necessarily want it to, it's still not bad. Nobody ever gained weight off of too much broccoli, you know?

I know, but it's the bacon that isn't helping.  I am going to start telling myself that it's a paleo fail if I eat it because it's not the good bacon. To keep myself away from the breakfast sausage that likely has gluten in it I tell myself it's zombie fingers because that's what it looks like. I should have taken a picture. LOL.

Avoiding munchies when you're constantly surrounded by food - that is one epic battle. You're doing really well though!

And yes; browsing eats time. Serious amounts of time. Sometimes so much it's actually scary.

An epic battle indeed, too bad I need this job right now or I would GTFO. It will help strengthen my willpower though so I must keep going. And I agree, I seem to lose track of time completely when I start browsing online especially on stuff I don't really NEED.

Anyways, getting late so I'll try and post the week end evaluation in the morning. We've definitely made progress this week but I don't like the momentum I seem to be losing at the end here. I am learning though and already plan to keep breakfasts to the stuff that seems to keep us full all morning. I'm thinking of mostly just alternating the chia pudding and egg breakfasts all week since they work best for us.

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

It´s amazing how descriptive your logs are! Just keep doing them! the more conscious you are, the more effective your willpower will be. I´m glad you are having a strong start even if you feel you are losing some steam at the end of the week. You have the second week to make things better!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

End of Week 1 Evaluation

Weight: 150.5 lbs

Neck: 13.5 in

Waist: 33.5 in

Hips: 38.75 in

Goal 1: Eat 100% Paleo

Subject did very well keeping to the dietary restrictions as per detoxification protocols. The meal plan was not followed perfectly but adaptation kept within parameters and helped curb cravings and keep her on track. The following recommendations will allow for improvement.

• Trying not to snack in between the four scheduled meal times.
  • Avoid eating anything questionable. If you have to ask if it's Paleo, it likely isn't.
  • Continue to learn what works while following meal plan-and more importantly, what doesn't.

Goal 2: Do strength training 3 times per week.

Subject attended all three training sessions this week with her partner. She was unable to do the pull ups and adapted by doing reverse pull ups. She also kept up with the rest of the regimen getting in a HIIT session and plenty of recreational activity. Most remarkably, she got to try stand up paddle boarding given her first opportunity instead of just being interested in it. However, she did fail to do the finishing move for two of the workouts. Recommendations for improvement:

• Avoid upping weight for another week just to get the basic movement down and avoid injury.
  • Take full amount of rest between reps to allow for proper recovery.
  • Push harder, try to do the finishing move even if exhausted and see how far it goes. It might be surprising.

Goal 3: Keep a log.

Subject successfully logged her progress all week. The only problem was a picture fail for this evaluation. That being said, it has been decided to not take one at all this week and maybe not until the mid-way point so that the difference may be more dramatic. The only room for improvement is perhaps to better highlight the difference between scheduled meals and snacking. One recommendation:

• Try to find a way to post logs faster or earlier so that they are not being finished just as subject needs to sleep to allow for winding down more.

Life Quest: Replace retail therapy with recreation:

Subject avoided excessive shopping by leaving her cards at home and carrying minimal cash. She also worked on a few craft projects to near completion only to be hindered by lack of materials and her own sense of perfectionism. Subject also was able to clear out some of her reading list and start on a book she's been meaning to read. Unfortunately, subject is having trouble managing time for said projects and continues to collect more articles and get sidetracked by browsing shopping sites online. She also gets ideas while reading/making things and gets sidetracked by them unable to focus on the current task. Recommendations:

• Finish current task until unable to go any further with it, focusing on completion.
  • Browse less, save less and free up time to do more.

Overall evaluation: Week 1

pass stamp

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

Log File 08.05.13, Day 8

04:49 Woke up late.

04:50 Took supplements with mouthful of almond milk. Breakfast: Chia protein pudding with organic baby food, coconut shavings and a cup of coffee, black.

09:33 Snack: 7 thin spears of asparagus dipped in mustard and horseradish with 10 almonds and a chai tea latte made with coconut milk.

11:30 Ate 3 strawberries, a few sliced black olives and some lettuce.

12:57 Lunch: Moose burger on top of arugula with veggies, 2 baby dills, mustard and homemade mayo.

14:00 Went for a 30 minute bike ride with Hex and spend additional quality time afterwards.

16:30 2 cups of decaf, black and nibbled while doing meal prep.

17:10 Dinner: 1 link of Chorizo sausage (may have contained gluten but was last of it and it's good quality from local butcher) with mashed butternut squash and a few salad greens dressed with garlic lime vinaigrette. Had a scant handful of coconut shavings and herbal tea for dessert.

Further notes: Whew, what a day! Woke up late so I didn't get to post evaluation this morning. I pretty much ate and got out the door. I feel I did really well today. My meals all kept me full longer and I barely munched at all. I did notice something wonderful however, a few small victories over my cravings. I made a nut and cheese spread with cream cheese and was not tempted even to taste while mixing it with my hands. I also was able to look at the desserts more than once today and not feel any sugar cravings at all. Evil zombie bacon was avoided completely, it's as ugly as the sausage to me now. I also noticed my skin improving, I have less breakouts and I haven't had the low energy that's been bugging me in the afternoon. This is very encouraging!

Level 3 Human Monk

Current Challenge

-Johnny Cash

I am really jealous of your meat access.

For the gluten worries, we have a butcher right close to our house, and the staff there are very friendly and open to talking about allergens.  (no filler in the breakfast sausage, but filler in the big sausage coils?  ::sadface::)  I would think that since you are a regular customer, they would want you to feel confident in your purchasing habits and in their product.  

Way to finish with a strong first week.  You can do eet!

Half-Giant Monk

current challenge

"Promote yourself, but do not demote another." Yisroel Salanter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines