snark drives home

snark

Hi all, I'm somewhat of a baby assassin with some simple goals, but I'm really looking forward to seeing where I can go and continuing to be inspired by you all.

I'm currently in the middle of an approximately three-month work assignment spending most of my time about six hours' drive from home (I'm home every other weekend). This is my second summer with this assignment, and I'm doing my best to be emotionally and physically healthier this year than last, between eating healthier (carting a toaster oven with me) and exploring the area by going on hikes and checking out the local sights on my day off. This challenge ends almost exactly when my work assignment does, and then I am spending a couple of weeks in Europe with my boyfriend, hopefully as a happy, healthier version of myself. Onto the challenge...

My main quest is to do a pullup. This isn't something that I expect to do in six weeks, and it's as much a symbol of the overall strength and body that I'm working toward as it is a specific quest. I love the idea of functional strength, of being able to pull up my own bodyweight.

Goals:

1. Bodyweight workout at least three times each week, including dead hang, bent-arm hang, and negatives on various days. I'm generally trying to get stronger, but I'd like to have some focus on pullup-related work. Reward: +3 STR. Grades: A - 15+ workouts; B - 13-14; C - 11-12; D - 9-10; F - 8 or fewer.

2. Stretch daily, particularly including shoulder mobility. My shoulders have always been pretty inflexible, and they have just gotten worse from my copious time sitting at a computer. I think having some mobility and also just more awareness of my shoulders will make a difference down the road. Reward: +3 DEX, +1 STA. Grades: A - 35+ days stretching; B - 31-34 days; C - 28-30 days; D - 26-27 days; F - 25 or fewer.

3. Eat more protein--specifically 70/80/90g/day, increasing every two weeks. I don't eat enough protein (probably obvious based on those goals). Along with the repair/muscle benefits, I could stand to lose a bit of weight, and I found during the last challenge that I make better choices overall when I focus on getting protein and veggies. The veggies are pretty easy for me, protein is tougher. Reward: +2 CON, +2 WIS. Grades: A - 33+ days reaching protein goal; B - 30-32 days; C - 28-29 days; D - 26-27 days; F - 25 or fewer.

Life leveling goal:

4. Get comfortable on my bike, by riding at least three times a week. I know that this is a physical thing, but my biggest barriers here are mental and emotional. I'd really like to be able to use my bike to ride down the street for a shopping trip or to dinner, but I'm completely freaked out any time there's a car nearby. My work assignment is in a location where I can get some good practice fewer cars than my home town, so I'd really like to take advantage of this opportunity while it's still available. Reward: +1 CON, +1 WIS, +1 STA. Grades: A - 15+ rides; B - 13-14; C - 11-12; D - 9-10; F - 8 or fewer.

Edit 8/1/13: Added grading system and reward points, with 14 total points due to late start after illness for the first three days of the challenge.

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

Welcome in the assassin guild! Your goal toward the pull-up seems solid and well thought already, congratulation on that! I especially applaud for the shoulder mobility goal, that's a great addition to your training. Do you have any exercises in mind already? I'm always looking for new shoulder mobility exercises :)

Good luck for your goals, I hope you will like it here!

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Thanks to all of you for the good wishes.

I've had a really bad start--yesterday I felt really wiped out for seemingly no reason, and today I have felt nauseous for a good chunk of the day, starting about two hours into my six-hour drive. I am eating what I can and will make sure I get into bed early, and I guess I'll see how I'm doing tomorrow. Along with my own stuff, I'd really like to be following and encouraging all you guys, but I think that needs to wait, as well--I hope everyone else is doing well so far!

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

I like how your work assignment terminates at about the same time as this challenge. You can count down the days for both. Sorry to see you had a tough start, but tomorrow is another day, and next week is another week! 

Your overall goal to do a pull-up is shared by my wife, so I'll be cheering you both on!

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

Aha! FOUND you!!! Yep, that's how good my assassin skills are ... :ph34r: I like  the goals and am looking forward to following you this challenge too. Hope you're feeling back on top of the world soon!

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

What up fellow baby assassin! Hope the drive is almost over? My shoulders are darn stiff as well. What are your favourite shoulder stretches?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Thanks all! I really appreciate the positive thoughts, and I seem to finally be feeling better today. I'm working at least ten hour days while on the road, so I have been focusing on getting through those and then resting as much as I can. So I suppose today is effectively the start of my 5.5-week challenge! :)

I like how your work assignment terminates at about the same time as this challenge. You can count down the days for both. Sorry to see you had a tough start, but tomorrow is another day, and next week is another week! 

Your overall goal to do a pull-up is shared by my wife, so I'll be cheering you both on!

I'm a huge fan of the dual countdown, too! Also, once I'm actually spending more of my time at home, that will be a big change, so it will be great to have the built-in opportunity to set new goals.

Also, are you a geologist? I'm an engineer for an environmental consulting firm, so I spend a bunch of time with geos.

What up fellow baby assassin! Hope the drive is almost over? My shoulders are darn stiff as well. What are your favourite shoulder stretches?

It doesn't take much to stretch them, so it's hard to say so far! I really like the first two in Starting Stretching for my shoulders and upper back, especially after a long drive.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

I have my pull up bar at about chest height right now for doing bodyweight rows on, and if I grab onto the bar with my hands behind me and step forward I get a great deep shoulder stretch.  It feels heavenly.

Oh that's an awesome tip! I have an over-door pullup bar with a length of PVC hanging down for bodyweight rows, so it will be somewhat less stable than a regular bar, but it seems like it should work if I'm picturing this right.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Thanks, teros!

I had an okay day yesterday after my declaration that I felt better. I (barely) met my current protein goal (70g)--I was still eating a little oddly because of the stomach issues, but wanting to hit the goal really forced me to put some thought into pulling together a nourishing and protein-filled dinner. I ended up doing an abbreviated bodyweight workout because I really wasn't 100%, which was definitely more obvious once I got started--full warmup, one set of each exercise, then cooldown (with shoulder stretches). Yesterday was definitely a day where I met the letter of my goals but not really the spirit, but I am glad that I at least went through the motions, since that's really what I needed to get back on the horse after feeling so crappy for a few days. 

Today, I'm definitely getting my butt on my bike after we're done for the day, even if it's just for a few minutes. We'll likely have a short day tomorrow (yay 6-day weeks, I am probably jinxing myself by saying this), so I'll try to do both bike time and workout fun, then bike and/or a hike on Sunday.

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

As hoped, yesterday was much more solid. I felt a lot better, ate my protein, rode my bike, and stretched, and I feel excited for this challenge, rather than sick and guilty! 

I think I set these protein targets pretty well--they are challenging enough for me to really think about what I'm going to eat so that I get there, but they feel attainable with food I am comfortable eating.

Riding was scary, as usual, but I really feel like forcing myself to just face those fears regularly will help a lot. We'll see, I guess!

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

As hoped, yesterday was much more solid. I felt a lot better, ate my protein, rode my bike, and stretched, and I feel excited for this challenge, rather than sick and guilty! 

I think I set these protein targets pretty well--they are challenging enough for me to really think about what I'm going to eat so that I get there, but they feel attainable with food I am comfortable eating.

Riding was scary, as usual, but I really feel like forcing myself to just face those fears regularly will help a lot. We'll see, I guess!

Great going! Whyever would you feel guilty for doing so well! ;) The human mind is a weird thing sometimes!

Have you tried a protein supplement to help you reach those ambitious targets?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Week 1 (or 0.5) summary:

As described earlier in this thread, I had a rough start--I felt really nauseous for the first few days and was just working to get some food into me. I finished off okay, with some good protein intake for the last few days, a workout on Saturday, and an awesome hike yesterday (not part of the challenge, but it was fun and gorgeous!) Because of this, I set up the grading for my goals to basically just be out of 5.5 weeks rather than six, with only 14 total points on the line--I'd rather be pushing for awesome grades for a slightly shorter period than starting myself off in the hole.

Goal 1: Bodyweight workouts. I did what I could on Thursday, and started myself back on the 'normal' track on Saturday.

2 total so far.

Goal 2: Stretch daily. Again, got a late start and then built up starting on Thursday.

4 total so far.

Goal 3: Eat more protein. Goal for this week was 70g daily. I had a rough couple of days with the whole eating thing, so I met this goal on four days.

4 total so far.

Goal 4: Ride my bike. I am a total baby about this, I just make every excuse not to deal with my bike fears. After my ride on Friday, I had decided to ride both weekend days and just didn't. That is the whole point of this goal, though, so hopefully it will push me to get out there and get over my fears a little.

1 total so far.

Great going! Whyever would you feel guilty for doing so well!  ;) The human mind is a weird thing sometimes!

Have you tried a protein supplement to help you reach those ambitious targets?

Thanks! I was hoping to see where I can get without a supplement, to actually focus on what I am eating rather than just using a crutch to get me there, but I am having to push to even get to 70g, especially with my limited food prep options in the hotel room. (For example, I have my toaster oven and have been cooking eggs with various veggies, but I'm pretty sketched out by the idea of cooking meat without an actual kitchen sink to clean up with--bathroom sinks just aren't made for washing dishes.) So I think after I go home this weekend, I'll probably go back to bringing my blender with me for the next couple of trips and find some protein supplements to experiment with--thanks for the suggestion. :)

Level 4 Adventurer

current challenge

Try sprinkling these over what you're making. I've never been a fan of powders. :)http://manitobaharvest.com/category/13/Hemp-Hearts.html

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Hey Snark!

Grats on your transfer to the Assassins. Love your new goals... especially the bike one. I love riding my bike. When the weather's nice (or at least not, seventh level of he!! roasting), I ride to the mall, to work, the grocery store...

How's the challenge going so far?

DefiantlyLiterate

Slaying life dragons daily

Ranger, Level 2

STR 4.5 | DEX 4 | STA 2 | CON 6 | WIS 6.25 | CHA 3.5

Team #ZAP | #ZAP FacebookTwitter

Current Challenge

1st | 2nd

Get stuck into raw almonds and peanuts, if you can. They are also very transportable for those of us who spend a LOT of time on the road. Glad you're feeling better.

Race/Class: Level 4 Hiberno-Amazon Ranger

STR = 13, DEX =3, STA = 11, CON =8, WIS = 13 , CHA = 8

First challenge:late-but-willing-to-try/

Second challenge:clearing-a-path-to-greatness/

Third challenge:stronger and braver

Current challenge:tightening the screws

Get stuck into raw almonds and peanuts, if you can. They are also very transportable for those of us who spend a LOT of time on the road. Glad you're feeling better.

Absolutely LOVE raw almonds. Used to think they were blah, but now have gotten used to them. Great for quick bursts of energy!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines