Sammiejune29 Embraces her Environment

Awesome progression! Ans as wolfie said, you don't have to have a life goal if you are not inspired. With or without it you'll do awesome for this challenge, I'm really happy to be able to follow your challenge once again :)

Thanks Nuala!! I was definitely missing the inspiration for that life goal. And I'm super excited about my other goals so I think this will lead to an overall more successful challenge :D

Wow, what incredible pics! You've been getting some serious work done.

Thanks!! I still can't believe all the progress I've made, especially when I look at this last set of pics. And not just with fitness, but I'm happier with my life now than I have been in a long time and I know NF has been part of that :D

Be careful with the 5 minute jumping sessions.  You'll be surprised at how much even a single minute of continuous jumping will wipe you out.  It might be more manageable to pick a few types of jumps and then add them to or substitute them for some leg stuff in your BW workout.

If you go ahead with the time based goal, make sure you break the 5 minutes up into manageable chunks of time, and then give yourself some rest periods between.

I'm not sure my jumping sessions are necessarily continuous. Lol. Also, I added this to my challenge outline but the 5 min isn't a strict goal that I'm setting with a timer or anything. Its just to stop me from counting 15 seconds of jumping as a session. If I work really hard on jumping for 4 min but am too tired to keep jumping safely anymore then that still counts.

On Monday my jumping session kind of went like this:

Jump over a pillow a few times. Add a second pillow on top. Jump over it a few times. Broad jump and try to land on my welcome mat (precision). Run and leap over the pillows a few times with each leg. Jump and try to get my hand flat on the ceiling a few times. A couple more precision jumps. Jump up the stairs one step at a time. Add a third pillow. Jump over it a few times. Jump up onto orange stool (about a foot high) a few times.

It was a lot of fun. I can't wait to do another session today :D

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

Update time!!

Goal #1 - BW Workouts

Haven't done a BW workout yet this challenge. It will happen later today. I will explain more below.

This was the last BW workout I did which I wanted to share as a starting point.

Saturday's Workout (July 27, 2013)
Warm up: 100 jumping jacks
3 Circuits (46 min 15:06 / 12:27 / 13:02)

BW Squats: 13/13/13
Inclined Push-ups 4th stair (5th stair): 6(4)/5(5)/4(4)

Weighted Lunges (25lb in each hand): 10(10)/7(7)/5(5)

Hanging Knee Raises: 4/4/6

Dumbbell Rows R(L) 25lbs: 7(7)/7(7)/7(7)

Lying Abductions (15lb weight) R(L): 9(9)/9(9)/9(9)
Plank (hands): 90s/70s/60s
Jumping Jacks: 30/30/30
Stretches (12 min)

BW Squats: I think my problem with these may be related more to my flexibility than my strength. Its really hard for me to keep good form, even if I'm using a door to assist. I think this week I really want to take a series of flexibility photos like Nuala did to really see where my flexibility issues are. I know for a fact that longsitting is nearly impossible for me. 

Pushups: I wasn't able to do any upper body work for about 2 weeks due to my arm/shoulder injury last challenge. I lost a lot of progress on push ups and I was discouraged for a while. Its finally starting to come back now. I still don't think I'm quite where I was before (since I can't do a pushup on the third stair, though that only happened once) but I'm feeling much less discouraged. I was mostly annoyed because pushups are one of the things that I've been working hardest on.

Weighted Lunges: I love these. They have easily become one of my favorite exercises. I don't know why. And my new dumbbells are awesome. No more trying to add weight with the wrist/ankle weights (and spending half my workout taking them on and off). Also, holding the 25# DBs is great for my grip strength. (I'm hoping to move up to 30s soon) Talk about multitasking!! I've just been so much more excited about my workouts in general since getting the DBs. Don't worry too much though. I still love all my BW exercises too ;)

Hanging Knee Raises: So far this is one of the only core exercises that I can do and doesn't irritate my back or make me dizzy. The biggest problem is that my grip strength (I'm doing these hanging from my pull up bar) tends to give out before my abs. But its still a good exercise.

DB Rows: Almost ready to move to 30lbs. Almost. I'm aiming for 3 good form sets of 8 before upping the weight.

Goal #2 - Jumping Practice

Did 5 min of jumping practice on Monday. I've made leaps and bounds of progress already. I can now jump onto a stool that is 12 inches high and over 3 stacked pillows (prolly about 14-15 inches high) when last week I had a really hard time jumping onto a step (which are generally about 7 in high) 

Goal #3 - New Recipe

Daniel and I made a dinner date for tomorrow night. We are going to cook something new and yummy probably using the squash I picked yesterday from our garden (not the one from the pictures, the other one that we have, lol) I just have to either find a recipe or come up with an idea before tomorrow. I'm excited!!

Life in General Update

We had our second practice pitch for our company yesterday. The presentation went amazing!! They were very impressed by how much progress we had made since the last one and were nitpicking because they didn't have any major concerns.

However, in order to get our presentation up to snuff I got very little sleep Sunday night (read 4-5 hours) and got up at 6 am Monday morning. I worked on the presentation pretty much from 6 am till 11:30 pm only taking breaks for food and my jumping session. I was originally planning to workout on Monday but I was still sore from Saturday's workout and I knew I wouldn't get as much sleep as I needed/wanted that night and so I figured working out would be more harmful than helpful.

Yesterday was just one of those days where I was not on my game. I was tired and cranky all day and so I decided to go watch Doctor Who with my cute nerd instead of working out. It was a good decision. (Mentally this is what I needed) He and I haven't gotten to spend a ton of time together the last week or so cause we've both been busy. And I will be out of town next week and he will the following week so I'm glad we got some together time. So the plan is to workout tonight sometime between 4 and 6. :D

Great job on all of your goals and on the presentation! Whee!

I agree that squats have always been 'too easy' for me as well. Maybe holding each squat for longer?

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Goal #2 - Jumping Practice

Did 5 min of jumping practice on Monday. I've made leaps and bounds of progress already. I can now jump onto a stool that is 12 inches high and over 3 stacked pillows (prolly about 14-15 inches high) when last week I had a really hard time jumping onto a step (which are generally about 7 in high) 

Great start with the jumping!  I think you'll find that at least half of the battle is becoming confident and comfortable with what you're doing.  :)

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Hey guys!!

I have a huge favor to ask. If any of you have ever planned an event (or hired an event planner to help you plan an event) can you please fill out my survey? It will take 5-10 min and you will be entered to win a $15 iTunes gift card. An event can include fundraisers, awards banquets, weddings, parties, showers, conferences, workshops, etc. Basically anything where you have to send out invitations. Lol

https://aytm.com/r97aeb1

Goal #1 - 3 BW Workouts/week

So Weds my nerd and I had decided on dinner around 6:30 (since he was going to lift around 5). I was supposed to get home around 4 and have plenty of time to workout. However, I had more stuff to do regarding my jobs than I had expected and got home around 5:25. Pushing back dinner would have been fine except we had decided to go see The Wolverine and the showing was at 7:20. Not very convenient for a 6:30 dinner. So I blasted through my workout and made it to the restaurant at 6:35. The food was delicious and the movie was good! It was a great evening :D

Wednesday's Workout (July 31, 2013)
Warm up: 100 jumping jacks
3 Circuits (30 min 9:24 / 10:48 / 7:36)

Weighted Lunges (25lb in each hand): 8(8)/8(8)/8(8)

Inclined Push-ups 4th stair (5th stair): 5(5)/5(3)/4(1)

Wall Sits: 70s / 60s / 50s

Dumbbell Rows R(L) 25lbs: 8(8)/8(8)/8(8)

Plank (hands): 80s/60s
Stretches (5 min)

I think I'm about ready to up the weight to 30lbs for lunges and DB rows. Its convenient that I'm at the same weight for both cause it means I need to take less weights with me when I go visit my family next week.

Pushups are still being annoying but getting back to where I was. Skipped the third set of planks in the interest of time. Also cut my stretching time in half but I still stretched.

Also got a foam roller during the two week challenge break. Haven't gotten to use it as much as I'd like yet, but I like having it for when I really need it.

Goal #2 - Jumping

Had a really great jumping session today :D Daniel and I were both jumping around and playing with movements in the apartment. I have some videos to share soon! I was practicing side ways jumping onto things and over things. Also running and leaping over things. I tend to have problems with fluidity of movement. I have the habit of running up to something then stopping, assessing and then jumping onto it instead of making it one movement. Also Daniel was showing off by jumping up the stairs. He can pretty easily jump onto the 4th stair and just barely make it onto the 5th stair. He can pretty much jump onto anything from standing that is around waist height (countertops included). CRAZY! This is definitely where I get my inspiration for jumping.

Goal #3 - Recipes

I made a really really awesome dinner tonight for Daniel and I :D He helped a little. :lol: Pretty much all he did was cut up the veggies. I'm not very efficient at chopping up anything cause I haven't a hard time being imprecise (and it doesn't really matter if they are the same size pieces or not, lol) There will be pictures!! Right now the forums are being mean and not letting me upload. :(

Daniel seems to end up benefitting from a lot of my goals. Lol (he likes this)

Great job on all of your goals and on the presentation! Whee!

I agree that squats have always been 'too easy' for me as well. Maybe holding each squat for longer?

Thanks!! Squats aren't too easy, I'm having problems doing them with good form. I think its because my mobility sucks!

Nice update, progressing already!

Thanks Rybo :D Progress is a wonderful thing ;)

Nice job!!!

You're jumping goal makes me want to go jump... good thing I'm embracing chaos this challenge and can allow myself to get distracted by all the shiny things.

*adds "jumping" to training schedule*

Glad to be an inspiration ;) Daniel makes me want to jump, I make you want to jump, you make baby Wolverine want to jump and the cycle never ends...

Nice starting point for the BW workouts! 

I actually jumped a bit as part of my warming up today because of your jumping goal ;)

Yay for jumping :D I hope you had fun!

Great start with the jumping!  I think you'll find that at least half of the battle is becoming confident and comfortable with what you're doing.  :)

Confidence and comfortability are definitely more of a problem than actual ability. Lol. I know my legs are strong enough. Its also coordination. Sometimes I can clear the obstacle but its not pretty. Haha

Awesome!  I can't wait to start trying to jump over things instead of just practicing jumping :D  Maybe next challenge.....

Sammie, leading us all astray with jumping awesomeness.

Jumping awesomeness for the win!! Wheeeeeee :D I started with jumping over pillows. Definitely was a confidence boost :)

Daniel seems to end up benefitting from a lot of my goals. Lol (he likes this)

Ha ha ha.  He's going to cry if you two ever decide to move apart from each other... ;)

Glad to be an inspiration ;) Daniel makes me want to jump, I make you want to jump, you make baby Wolverine want to jump and the cycle never ends...

I was jumping for Baby W. just yesterday.  I would jump and he would LAUGH and LAUGH and LAUGH.  I choose to believe this was NOT because I have hilarious jumping technique...

Wolverine

Level X Mutant

So I dunno how I missed your challenge all this time, I swear I read and commented on it already, but apparently the lords of the intertubes are against me following along? Anyway, awesome challenge! And those are some great progress pics!!

I feel ya on the pushup stalling, I felt like I was stuck at the same point forever and trying to push harder just led to a sore shoulder (not a good sore). And then all of a sudden my progress shot up without me really changing anything, it was weird. So I shall be hoping for a sudden burst of progress to come your way some time soon (normally I'd offer to share mine, but I kinda like it and want to keep it...)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

yay for jumping :)

and yay for general awesomeness too btw!!

:)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

How has all that jumping around been going? ;) I'd be interested in seeing if you made any improvements on the squats. I did a few over the last few workouts and between those and walking lunges, I was pretty stiff for most of the weekend!

sicil

Level 4 Xeph Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 15 | STA 12 | CON 10.5 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 8.5

Current Challenge: Lucky In Love

#4 Finding Zen#3: Preparations For Battle | #2: Ninja School | #1: Lapsed Ninja

"You're welcome on my boat. God ain't." - Firefly

Friday was supposed to be a workout day but I got up at 6 am after 4 hours of sleep to finished preparing for our practice presentation. This time we listened to each other's presentations so I was there from 9 am till almost 4 pm. Then Daniel and I had to come home and pack, we grabbed dinner and then drove 3.5 hours to Daniel's mom's house. We got there at 10 pm and there was no way working out was a good idea with how tired I was.

We spent all day there on Saturday outside and playing with Daniel's nephews (ages 10, 8 & 6). The last time I saw them I had just joined NF and started getting in shape. This time was WONDERFUL!! I could pick them up and really play with them. I definitely want to stay in shape and get in better shape so I can play with my own kids like this some day. That is what is really important to me :D

Saturday's Workout (August 3, 2013)

3.5 Miles of Kayaking (so much fun!!)

Swimming

Lots of running around playing with Daniel's nephews

Climbing and jumping on a playground with them (1/2 a jumping session)

Volleyball with the nephews

By the end of the day I was exhausted and sore EVERYWHERE!! So no formal workout. But I got a pretty well balanced workout in so I'm going to count it towards my 3x's a week goal.

Sunday

Sunday by necessity was a rest day with the exception of 1/2 of a jumping session. I didn't have enough energy to do more than that. When I wrote my jumping goal I wasn't thinking about how difficult it would be to get jumping sessions in while home with my family. They don't approve of the idea of me jumping. They think I'm going to hurt myself. Plus, my grandma doesn't want me jumping in her house except the basement, but the basement's ceiling isn't very tall. I'm doing the best I can but it certainly makes it more difficult. But I practiced jumping over a stool without hitting my head on the ceiling which was an interesting challenge. Lol

Monday's Workout (August 5, 2013)
Warm up: 60 jumping jacks

5 min of jumping - focus on keeping feet together while jumping over stool
3 Circuits (49 min 14:29 / 15:04 / 17:15)

Weighted Lunges (30lb in each hand): 5(5)/5(5)/5(5)

Inclined Push-ups 4th stair (5th stair): 4(6)/4(6)/4(6)

Wall Sits: 70s / 60s / 60s

Dumbbell Rows R(L) 30lbs: 4(4)/4(4)/4(4)

Lying Abductions 15lbs R(L): 12(12)/12(12)/12(12)

Plank (hands): 70s/70s/60s
Stretches (10 min)

Foam Rolling (5 min)

Jumping went fairly well despite being confined to my grandparents basement. Weighted lunges with 30lbs per hand were A LOT harder than 25lbs per hand. Especially regarding the grip strength necessary to hold the dumbbells. But I don't think my grip strength is holding me back. Dumbbell rows were also extremely difficult with 30lbs. Not sure if I was actually ready to move to 30lbs yet.

The following are the pictures from last week when I cooked dinner for Daniel and I. Sorry for the giantness of the pictures. The gallery on NF is still not letting me upload things :(

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

I have a squash growing in my garden! :D

IMG_1481.jpg

Remember the adorable puppy we got Daniel's nephews for their birthday?

Rocky the Boxer

This is what he looks like now! I can't believe how much he has grown in the past few months!

IMG_1517.jpg

We went kayaking on Saturday. It was so much fun! I really missed kayaking last summer!

IMG_1536.jpg

And here is a pic of Daniel after when we got to the beach :D

IMG_1532.jpg

And this is Daniel being awesome :D This is what I aspire to be able to do!!

We were playing around and jumping and what not and Daniel decided he was going to try to do a handstand. More than the handstand, I love how assassin-like his bail out was when he started falling sideways.

I like your jumping vids- and that Daniel got you to try something new for them!

Daniel's bail was definitely assassin-y! He'll have a solider handstand if he works on hollow hold some - if you're facing the wall, your toes should be the only thing touching it - looks like his collapse was because he broke at the hips/knees. But awesome anyway! :)

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines