• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mrgso

-dramatic voice- Mrgso will be the next NINJA WARRIOR!!!

Hello there, this is my 4th challenge. I'm really looking forward to this one. I think the gaming/quests style will really help me to keep with my goals. Anyway, here goes...

My main quest: To compete in (not necessarily win, although that would be amazing!) ninja warrior. Obviously this is a long term quest since I have a looooooooong way to go.

Physical Stats:

Height:5'6"

Weight: 240lbs

(see sig. for RPG stats)

Level 1: 15 skill points until next level

1. Work on the nerd fitness beginners push ups/pull ups routines every other day. (20 reps, 3 sets push ups every 2 minutes, etc.)- +5strength

2. begin and stick with couch to 5k program. do running on off days(non-push ups/pull ups days)+5Dex

3. Continue to make healthy choices meaning mostly whole grains, fruits, veggies and lighter meats(no junk food or soda. ) both at home and after I return to school. +3CON +2WIS

Motivation:

I'd like to prove everyone who said "yeah right you can't!" horribly wrong.

winner.jpg

As soon as I saw Ninja Warrior, I was like "This will be a thread a follow!" :)

Very smart to put a good upper body strength goal in there as that seems to one, if not THE, more important aspect of challenges.

I look forward to seeing your progress!

OOh fellow Female Ninja Warrior fans.

I usually stare in awe. Cant wait to see your progress.. I too saw ninja warrior and hit reply.

Wow, ninja warrior is some serious stuff! Best of lucks with that..

And this far, how are you doing? Push-pull movements are -for me- very hard, but the progress you see when training specially for them is great. 

Also, remember that if you need any advice, the ZAP thread is there for you! There is a lot of helpful people there.

Thanks for the support guys! (And girls!) It took me a while to find an active group of people with similar interests to keep me going but it looks like this is it. :)

Anyway, here's an update.

-On week 4 of eating healthy and it's going great! Last week was hell but now it seems like I don't even want junk anymore. Hopefully the habit has been broken and the cravings are over. >< We'll see.

-running: did first day of couch to 5k on the 30th, yesterday I did some unplanned walking on the cape cod canal, walked about 3 miles total and snatched my brother's bike(he let mexP) near the end and biked a mile. Didn't get to do the 2nd day of couch to 5k today. I wimped out cuz of the rain. Really disappointed in myself. for that. I plan to do it after work tomorrow rain or shine though. Not giving myself the chance to think about it. 

- upper body strength: on the 29th I pretty much just played on the playground w/my 11 year old brother. We played around with some parkour stuff (holy crap I can actually do a vault np! Now it's just time for a form check. And to think I was scared of hurting myself. xP) Also realized that I actually have no problem pulling myself up at a certain angle. He dared me to climb up onto a bridge on the playground(we were the only people there, it was dusk.) so I put up a leg, put my hands on a bar right above where my leg was and pulling, putting the weight on the leg until i was up high enough to put the other foot up. Then I just swung myself over the bar. The bridge was very similar to this one. http://www.adventureplaysystems.com/cart/images/products/LG-Bridge_Arch-Bridge.jpg It's interesting because the muscle group I was using was the same ones i use to hold up my 5lbchunk of metal(mellophone) for 2 or 3 hours at a time during marching band. The back side of my arm muscles on the other hand are basically useless. :( Can't even get one pull up or push up out. When on a rowing bar, that short one --->https://www.naturalplaygroundsstore.com/images/ChinUpBars.jpg I can pull myself up about 3 times and I can currently do about 10 dumbell rows with a french horn in it's case(not sure exactly how much it weighs...probably around 8-10lbs.
tonight I did 12 wall push ups, 2 more than last time I tried. (originally I'd go through 4 sets of 20 with little difficulty then move on to incline push ups and wonder why they hurt so bad. They key here was actually doing the wall push ups with perfect form every single time.

Another thing, just for fun I decided to test my grip strength out at the playground. It was a good laugh. You know those things that you hold onto a bar and swing yourself across to another platform?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PiI0OgFjcY (showoff) Well I grabbed onto it, swung myself and went flying off of it as soon as my feet left the platform. XD Too much inertia for my grip I guess. We got a loooooooong way to go. Good thing I'm only 20 and have lots of time to work with. (more worried about the show going off air than about getting too old.)

So...things to reach for the rest of the challenge: consistency- I did a lot of good stuff but it wasn't a specific workout, didn't go according to plan and was hard to track. I want to try and do the alternating running/strength training like I listed above. Fun stuff can either be extra or worked into but not instead of the plan. :)

Ninja Warrior rocks! You have a great attitude, and I love how you're looking for new ways to improve :)

Playgrounds are sweeeeet. I'm happy to see other people on NF invading them :D Good luck with your challenge!

Playgrounds are awesome!  I rarely go alone, as I don't want to appear scary to kids/parents, but when I can borrow a friend's kid they are a blast, and a great workout.

Good job on the pushups, and the eating well!

Update: So I tried out the 2nd day of the couch to 5k program today. Didn't go as well as last time. :( Lungs felt really restricted until I finally got to the point where I had to stop and gasp for air about 20 minutes in. :( (And I'm not known to quit either.) 

Possible contributing factors:

-it was significantly hotter than the first run

-This time I had just got out of an eight hour, very busy work day(my day starts off with stocking 13 mini kitchens w/muffins,bagels,juice,butter,applesauc,milk,forks,knives,etc. In under an hour.) as opposed to the fresh start last time I tried

-I switched to a different app b/c the first one wasn't working right. This one gave 90secs of walking time instead of 120

But the thing that bugs me most was that I felt like my lungs were being squeezed.Although I am not a runner yet, I've run significant distances before(HVZ player here. :) ) Tried taking deep breaths both while running and walking and it seemed like my lungs just couldn't keep up. So weird. Anyone know what the heck happened?

PS: I did continue to walk the rest of the distance and then some. Gonna try again tomorrow morning when it's cooler I guess.

Not a runner here but probably the higher temperatures were contributing to a less efficient air exchange. The lack of humidity in the air also makes it more difficult, waaaaaay more difficult. I'm pretty sure that runing when it's cooler would help.

So...running re-take, 5th i started over on day 1 of the original program.(I like it better, I just wish it weren't so glitchy. :( ) 6th i did about 3 miles of light walking just to stay in the game and today I tried week 1 day two and to my amazement it was actually kindof easy! Sure it didn't feel like that while I was running but as soon as I caught my breath (took about 30 seconds as opposed to the previous 2 minutes a couple of weeks back before I was walking almost every day) I wanted to go back in for more!

I was scared that 8 weeks was not enough time to get me running a 5k but maybe this thing really works!

Side note, I freaking LOVE working out to slacker radio's "Champion's Theme" station. As a nerd and a band geek it kinda makes me feel like a badass. (hey whatever works right?) Like that hero music from the movies? That

s my theme song playing for me. Not really, but well you get the point. >< Strength training's going pretty well too. It's slow progress but it's progress. I just think of people having fun crawling around on things like monkeys and feel bad that I'm unable to do it (well, I get jealous to be exact)and that motivates me to keep going.

Eating healthy has basically become a habit. Not concerned about that now. It'll be much more of a problem in the last week of the challenge when I'm back at my college's 5-star buffet. (anything you want for just one swipe. and unfortunately I LOVE food. I'll just have to tell myself that healthy food tastes just as good and that ice cream bar is just not worth it. Keep my eyes on the prize.)

Just some more stats:

Bust: 46 inches

Waist 44 inches

Bottom:49 inches

Thigh:28 inches

Arm:17.5 inches (at thickest point), 12 inches after the initial flub section. xP

Height:5'6"

new updated weight: 232lbs

So I slacked off a little this week.:( Shit happened, i missed some workouts and ate bad at a party. But the good news is it was only 5 days before I got my butt back on NF and was newly inspired to keep going. Tomorrow's a new day.I'll probably re-do week two of CT5K just so I don't hurt myself or anything. Can't wait to start working out again tomorrow.:) On a side note, I've reached the point where rows are too easy but i do not have a pull up bar/ easy access to one at a playground. Any suggestions for things that could be used for incline pull ups(or whatever we want to call them, I'm still worrying over my french horn that's in the repair shop/my audition in a week and a half. :( (can't think clearly.)

I guess that's the reason we work on creating habits in the challenges.  So we don't have to think to perform & we can slack what we want : we'll allways get back in form.

I would suggest  Bench Dips  since you will allways find material to do them on: benches, the bathtub, etc , etc 

It's more aimed at the triceps, so even if it's not a compound exercise, you'll still be happy to have done them once you get material to try pull-ups, or inverted bodyrows.