SkyeRose gets Inspired

SkyeRose

The Main Quest

A few years ago someone asked me to describe my life and myself in one word, after months of thinking I reached the decision that my word is Inspire.  

Each and everyday I aim to inspire others in my work and most days I achieve this however I am not so good at being inspired. I see something and go "WOW that is amazing inspiration and I should do that" then I never do.

I want to live an inspired life. I want to see things, be inspired and act upon the inspiration. 

Inspiration 1 - My Husband (que - ahhhhh)

My husband began working in the mines around 4 hours from home almost a year ago. During the first few months he gained about 5kg. He noticed the change and was not happy with it so he started to work out and clean up his diet. Over the last few months each time I see him (once a fortnight) he is looking healthier, fitter and sexier. Each time he comes home I want him to think that I am looking better too. Plus I want to be able to keep up with him when we work out together. 

Goal 1 - Complete the Advanced Bodyweight Workout 3 times a week

A - An average of 4 times a week

C- 3 times a week every week

D-  An average 2 times a week 

E - An average Once a week

F- Never

Inspiration 2 - Lexphoenix

Being the Underpants Gnome that I am, I was reading all the new posts for this challenge to get ideas for my own goals. I saw the animal flows on Lexphonix's most current goal and a light bulb went off in my head. That looks AMAZING. I have been dancing now for 3 years and have just started gymnastics. As I am currently doing gymnastics I can not afford dance as well. I was struggling to work out a way to join these 2 loves and find something new to try at the same time. In my last challenge one of my goals was to try a gymnastics class and now I am hooked. I want to continue attending the class this challenge (I have already paid for 12 weeks to enforce this). I also want to collect some underpants! I want to find out more about animal flows and hopefully by halfway through the challenge I can begin to try some things out. 

Goal 2 - Continue to attend my Gymnastics class

A - No classes missed. Stop collecting underpants and attempt some animal flows for at least 4 weeks of the challenge
C - No classes missed. Stop collecting underpants and attempt some animal flows for at least 3 weeks of the challenge
D - 1 class missed and still collecting underpants with maybe trying animal flows a few times
E - 1 class missed and still collecting underpants. 

Inspiration 3 - Dancers

beach-beautiful-dance-dancing-flexibilit
I began dancing in my early 20s and I love it. I missed all the childhood classes and short of my own personal time machine I can not go back and take the lessons again. One of my best friends was a ballet dancer and her flexibility is amazing even though she no longer stretches regularly, add to that the new woman at gymnastics who is a dancer and incredibly flexible and I am officially inspired. I want the flexibility to do more complex contemporary moves. I am currently working with my dance friend to choreograph a few new dances and I want to keep up with her. I want to do a mix of yoga, dynamic and static stretches each morning and after every workout.
Goal 3 - Flexibility work 6 days a week
A - 6 mornings per week (20 minutes) for the entire challenge plus after each workout
C - 3 mornings per week (20 minutes) plus after each workout (totaling 6 days per week)
D - 3 mornings per week (10 minutes) plus after each workout
E - after each workout

Life Goal 
In between challenges, Elastigirl posted a Nighttime Blackout challenge and I joined the challenge. I have struggled with this however I have found that I am getting more sleep and being more productive with my time in the evenings as I am also trying to be in bed by 9:30. I want to continue this for this challenge. I want to add to this goal that I want to sleep without any background noise. Since my husband has started working away I have struggled to sleep and each night I have to have some sound playing in the background in order to fall asleep. By the end of the challenge I am hoping to fall asleep at least once without any sound. I am hoping continuing with the blackout challenge will help with this. 

Skye Rose - Seeking Balance 
Current Challenge

Inspiration and genius--one and the same. - Victor Hugo

Fall seven times and stand up eight - Japanese proverb

Have fun with the animal flows!  I played around with some last challenge (again, inspired by Lex :) ), and I had a blast.  It's amazing how challenging and strength intensive all of the low-to-the-ground work actually can be, even when it otherwise looks simple. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Fun goals. I agree, those animal flows are amazing. I can be inspired by your night time blackout goal. It seems like that is one habit I establish and then just as quickly drop. I'm hoping to keep it up after last week (though Friday night was a fail)

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Workout one - the baseline

I did the advanced bodyweight workout today and I want to track my progression throughout the challenge.

One leg squats - 10 each leg

Bodyweight squats - 20

Lunges - 10 each leg

Step ups - 20 up 2 stairs at a time

Assisted pull-ups - 5

Assisted chin-ups - 5

Assisted dips - 10

Push-ups - 10

Plank - 45 seconds

I was only able to do 2 circuits today and I am hoping to increase this throughout the challenge. In my next workout I am going to rest more between each set to see if that helps me to complete 3 circuits.

I did yoga this morning and stretching after my workout. I am going to get my husband to take some photos of my stretches when he is home next so I can see progress in my stretches as well.

Now to keep this motivation up for the next 6 weeks.

Current Challenge

Fun goals. I agree, those animal flows are amazing. I can be inspired by your night time blackout goal. It seems like that is one habit I establish and then just as quickly drop. I'm hoping to keep it up after last week (though Friday night was a fail)

I am hoping to keep it up as I am feeling better. Funny though last night I was watching the clock and trying to use every possible second I had. I think I finally put the laptop down at 21:31.... I couldn't put it down before then as I might miss something (yet I don't know what I might miss in those last few seconds that would be life changing)

Current Challenge

Today was a rest / stretch day. After the last challenge where I was tired all the time I have built active rest days into my program. So I woke up with yoga and played with dance moves and animal flows this afternoon. I had a heap of fun.

I think I am going to pick 1-2 dance moves and animal flows to work on so I can make progress in a few areas rather than no progress in a lot of areas. Any suggestions here would be great.

I also started the fly lady challenge and completed all my goals for that too. My husband will be impressed with how clean the house looks when he gets home.

Current Challenge

I'm so happy to see someone else enjoys the animal movements! I thought maybe people were getting tired of me talking about them, lol. As for where to start, I posted a few links in an older thread:

I love using animal movements/ground work in a variety of ways.  Mike Fitch has a lot of great tutorials on his blog. Here's a few other resources I've used:

Flow Fit

Animal flow demos

Animal flow transitions

Animal flow warm up

TACGYM

TACFIT progressions

I use some for my warm up, as part of my workouts, and cool down. I don't think most of these are about getting stronger, but more about learning to move your body in concert. Once you start perfecting movements, they can be really great for improving strength endurance. What I love most about them is that they are just plain fun!

The animal flow links go to playlists that have some of the basics. Mike considers the "ABC's" to be the ape, beast, and crab movements, but you can start wherever you feel most inspired. You'll probably have some that you enjoy more than others. I hope you continue to have fun with them!

I'm so happy to see someone else enjoys the animal movements! I thought maybe people were getting tired of me talking about them, lol. As for where to start, I posted a few links in an older thread:

The animal flow links go to playlists that have some of the basics. Mike considers the "ABC's" to be the ape, beast, and crab movements, but you can start wherever you feel most inspired. You'll probably have some that you enjoy more than others. I hope you continue to have fun with them!

These were AWESOME! I spent a good hour doing them on Tuesday night instead of the marking I was meant to do. I also showed off my awesome new moves to my husband and he was impressed. I am going to enjoy doing these regularly. 

Current Challenge

Week 1 - Summary

Goal 1 - C. I did the workout 3 times this week and slowly built up to 3 circuits of the advanced bodyweight workout. 

Goal 2 - A. I went to class and rocked some cartwheels and round-offs. I also did some work on the uneven bars (I was so excited that I could hold myself up on these! No cool moves as of yet). I collected some underpants this week but I also tried a few of the animal flow movements - this was a lot of fun. Next week I am going to string a few together and work on that as I prefer that than repeating the same movement. 

Goal 3 - A. I have only missed 1 day this week and can already see an improvement in my flexibility. 

Life goal - Done! Every night this week I have turned off the iPad and the TV by or at 21:30. I am sleeping better and finding it easier to fall asleep (I am now dead to the world before 5 minutes has passed). Next week I want to see how I go falling asleep with no background noise. I will try to sleep for 10 minutes and if I am still awake put the noise back on. I am going to increase this wait time each week but I am hoping I will be asleep before then. 

Current Challenge

Crappy workout today :(

I started with good intentions but began to feel sick during my first circuit of the advanced bodyweight workout. I was not impressed and almost gave up. I finished all 3 circuits, very slowly, with lots of breaks. It took close to an hour. I was impressed with the effort even if I had to go back to push-ups on my knees.

I need to make another doctor appointment to find out why I am burping so painfully during exercise. I went a few months ago as I was burping all day, every day to the point I couldn't hold a conversation. We changed my changed my diet and added some supplements and all was good until about a fortnight ago. I am struggling to stay motivated with both the exercise and my diet at this point. This weeks mini goal will be to make that doctors appointment and continue stretching as that is not causing any problems.

Current Challenge

Good for you for keeping at it even when you felt blech. Sorry you are feeling blech, that is miserable. Trying to do the right thing, and then feeling sick for it, just isn't fair. Hope the Dr has some answers for you

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Another unproductive day, my husband came home for the weekend and has left the dreaded 'man flu' in his wake. I am not a true believer in the 'man flu' phenomena however this strand is horrible. I know from previous experience that not all strands are the same as this is not the first time my husband has been kind enough to share however the complaining I hear from him is like he is dying regardless of how mild the man flu. Sadly this time the complaining was warranted.

I missed gymnastics tonight and my run and my workout and ate takeaway .... Not a great day and I still feel awful. I also didn't make the doctors appointment I was meant to. So tomorrow no workout goal, I just need to make the doctors appointment, eat a little better and survive...

On a side note tomorrow I have to take 75 students (12 year olds) on an excursion to the gardens and the planetarium. This involves walking through the gardens and up to the look out - hoping I survive ....

Current Challenge

Survived the excursion that including hiking through gardens for over an hour and one student being sent home with an allergic reaction to a plant.

Booked the doctors appointment and going today (I took the day off to get well).

Despite being unwell I did. My stretching for the day and have been practicing different flows that other rebels have posted as part of their challenge. I am loving this.

Current Challenge

Week 2 - Summary

Goal 1 - D. I don't like typing a D - as a teacher I feel I have failed something :( I missed only 1 workout due to my 'man flu' and I am hoping to make this up next week. 

Goal 2 - D. ;( Not happy about this as I can only do 1 make up class and I have to miss this week's as well for a family function. I get to do my make-up call though this week so it wont be another D. I have tried out a few new animal movements and flows which was fun. I love surprising myself with what I can actually achieve. I also went to the park and today and practised my hanstands, cartwheels and round-offs. My handstands are getting vertical for about 1 second at the moment but I am very excited with this progress and I did a one-handed cartwheel today! YAY :) Plus my round-offs have improved as well. 

Goal 3 - C. Despite not being well I have kept up with the stretching most mornings. I am getting closer to the splits each day (I still think this is weeks or months away but I am motivated by my progress) 

Life goal - Done! I didn't try sleeping without background noise yet but getting there (I turned the volume down this week). 

I went to the doctors about not feeling well and burping during exercise. They think it is emotional as I have been having a bad few weeks so I did some counselling yesterday and I do feel heaps better - a good cry and some chocolate seems to have helped. I completed the full advanced bodyweight workout this morning - the first time in 2 weeks .... with only 3 burps! So excited that I spent the afternoon in the park, jogging, walking, playing on the swings and cartwheeling! My dog gave me funny looks while I did my cartwheels (I thought they were great). 

Here is to a better week!

Current Challenge

Hey well done in Week 1 and don't let your Week 2 get you down. 2 steps forward one back is always progress!!

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

I hope your week goes better and you get a chance to relax! Have you ever tried meditation?

I have tried mediation and I REALLY struggle with it. My brain doesn't like slowing down. But it is an idea and it might be time to try again.

What has been good this week though is talking. I have talked in months about what is actually bothering. I have been ignoring my feelings and avoiding talking about them. I have had a few big discussions now with my husband and I feel heaps better. It is nice to have it all in the open and now things can start to change.

I started my fitness journey a few months ago and I am happy with this however there are a number of other things I am not happy with and need to change. First step is to be more playful and creative on a daily basis. I am trying to take some of my workouts to the park and less set - focusing on what inspires me. I still want to do at least 2 of my weekly workouts that follow more of a routine but my weekend workout is moving to the park.

Outside of fitness I am going to try to do something fun everyday while teaching - this might make the day nicer for the students as well. Started this yesterday and dressed up like an alien for the morning. I teach 12 year olds and they thought this was awesome.

Public holiday today so I am off to the park for a picnic and going to practice my cartwheels and handstands into forward rolls.

Current Challenge

Okay ...

I haven't been on here in a few weeks and haven't even been reading others posts. I feel I have missed half this challenge! 

My motivation has disappeared over the course of this challenge and I have struggled every step of the way. I have completed the advanced bodyweight workout 2-3 times per week and stretched about the same. I have yet to miss a gymnastics class and have been dancing regularly. I would say though each workout is a half-ass effort and I am giving up too easily.

So I know that there are only a few weeks left but I am already looking at what to change about my goals to make them more motivating and about my routine so it is easier to stick with.

Hopefully this week will be better - I am going to post more and have some more positive posts too. 

Current Challenge

Okay ...

I haven't been on here in a few weeks and haven't even been reading others posts. I feel I have missed half this challenge! 

My motivation has disappeared over the course of this challenge and I have struggled every step of the way. I have completed the advanced bodyweight workout 2-3 times per week and stretched about the same. I have yet to miss a gymnastics class and have been dancing regularly. I would say though each workout is a half-ass effort and I am giving up too easily.

So I know that there are only a few weeks left but I am already looking at what to change about my goals to make them more motivating and about my routine so it is easier to stick with.

Hopefully this week will be better - I am going to post more and have some more positive posts too. 

The workouts may not have been as intense as you wanted, but you still managed great consistency.  The best thing for me to stay motivated and work hard is to post on others threads,. Hearing what others are doing is great motivation. Does competition work  for you? Maybe think of a PVp to do with someone.

I am still here. I have been slack in updating and have struggled a lot this challenge. I can not believe a new one is starting today - I am going to come up with new goals and start again.

The last 2 weeeks I have focused on doing 5-10 minutes of yoga everyday and have choosen a handful of exercises that I want to improve in and I am testing my max on these once a fornight and this is working realy well. I have in a much better place then where I was during the last challenge and I will start again - fall down 7 times and get up 8!!!

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines