Red Ash Rises

RedAsh

Jinkies, you Monks all write intimidatingly huge, detailed posts and sound dreadfully experienced! A’ight, enough discomfiture, let’s do this thing, music intro and all.

Main quest: Tie the loose ends of my eating and exercise experiences so far into hard knots of habit.

Focuses: improve my strength and agility, reduce my fat percentage, and improve my Wing Chun practice. Currently time is precious (no better time to build flexible habits that respond to my lifestyle, right?) but that's probably not going to change and I need habits that yield and mould to my lifestyle rather than clash with it. 

Motivation: I have come a long way from being a diminutive, squishy, dumpling-like teenager. It’s required much heave-hoing of the “I’m not the type of person who can do this†mentality, and thinking that others are somehow better or more entitled to fitness, health, and the contentment that comes from a bloody hard work out.

This year has felt good. The first two challenges allowed me to experiment with how my body and lifestyle respond to wilful change, and to feel hugely more empowered over how I look and feel. I’m content. I have been slowly trying to let go of the mentality of having something to prove (except to myself) and I have a way to go yet, but it’s getting there. Getting on this empowerment buzz is my motivation.

1: Many strands make strong rope

At least 3 hard workouts a week, and do something physical every single day.

('Hard' meaning minimum 30-40 minutes at moderate-high intensity. ‘Something physical’ could be playing with poi or whips, Wing Chun practice, yoga, etc.)

I know there are some forms of exercise I enjoy doing (bodyweight exercises, running), and some that I am intrigued (/intimidated) by that I would like to try (plyometrics, acro, weights).

I’m going to pull together all the exercises and routines that I know I enjoy and are within my comfort zone to start off with, and incorporate at least one new/scary form of exercise to try during this challenge. I am considering joining a gym. I’ll get back to you on that front.

2: Tightly twisted cord

Eat 1600 to 1800 calories daily, with at least 25% from protein, maximum 20% from carbohydrates.

I’ll attempt to keep tabs on body fat percentage; currently around 18-19%. This diet goal means my 'strength' goal will be more about capability than muscles, but that's fine.

3: Whip-sharp

Wing Chun practice at least three times a week.

I currently only have time to attend Wing Chun classes sporadically, which will improve exactly when this challenge finishes (brilliant). I’ll make the most of what I can attend for now, and practice alone or with friends for the times I can’t attend class. Kicking drills are fun.

Life quest:

I have to write my Masters thesis up as a paper for submission to a journal by mid-September, to include in a scholarship application for a PhD. That is going to be hard; I'll see what I can do.

Level 3 Monk

STR[8]  DEX[6]  STA[8]  CON[10]  WIS[8]  CHA[7] 

Current Challenge

Hey, welcome in! Please don't be intimidated by us; we're just a bunch of nerds whose idea of fun is going out and getting punched in the face. Nothing wrong with that at all. :D

Empowerment is as good a reason as any to get into working out and to keep going. Now, the trick is to keep going. We'll do everything we can to help you with that from here.

Good to have you here Red. Hope you get a lot from the Wing Chun classes, even thought they won´t be as consecutive as you would like.

Good luck and success with your Thesis!

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Should update! So far so good on goals 1 and 2, although I got a rather big tattoo on my back yesterday so I'm going to be reducing any exercises for a few days and focusing on legs and arms. Can still do planks and hanging leg lifts and things like that, as long as I'm not doing much involving explosive movements.

Goal 1: Done one hard work out this week, and the others will be today and Saturday.

Goal 2: Check

Goal 3: Nein... I've spent 45 minutes on Wing Chun this week and have a meeting during the time I would go to my Friday class. Sigh, c'est la vie, I'll practice basics at work and do a lot of kicking as part of my hard work out today.

Getting there!

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Poi? POI?! YOU DO POI?! <333

I love you!

I haven't played with poi in forever, but I love 'em so much! I should pick 'em back up once I'm done slaying my first dragon. XD

Congratz on the new tattoo, and hopefully it heals up nice and well so you can get back into explosive movements and more intense exercises. :3 

Welcome to the Monastery and best of luck with your thesis!

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

@Kishi Oh man, your galifreyan avatar pic is awesome!

I had to go to source material to translate it, and even then it took me a while- I'm not very good at it, but am kinda tempted to learn it properly!

Level 4

Wood Elf Assassin

STR: 12| DEX: 2| STA: 2| CON: 7.75| WIS: 9| CHA: 5|

Current challenge:

Agreed Kishi, I've been holding leg lifts, V-sits, plank variations, and fun things won't stretch the skin. Ha, agreed with Robin as well about your Gallifreyan name.

Mouse, poi, yes! Fire and glow fun times.

Tattoo is being fine, I will start exercising more normally after about a week but still a fair bit I can do in the mean time, especially since legs are entirely unaffected.

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

If we knew your name we'd wield power over you. As it is, we can only wonder Kishi who?

In other news, exercise is going adequately, but I can push myself a bit more (intensity good, duration good, repetitions per set low, repetitions per week adequate). 

Diet is the same, calories are going well but I eat rice from time to time and more veges would be good.

Wing chun is not so good, haven't yet practised much this week, will do that today! Without classes (or friends to spar with) it's less fun, but I've been away from class for ages and will be away for another week because of travelling! C'est la vie, I'll fight my own shadow.

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Tattoo healing, goal 1 going well (albeit with shortish periods of intense exercise, only 20-30 minutes three times a week, but much easier to motivate myself to do). Goal 2 good for calories, pretty much eliminated sugar, still having some wheat/brown rice but not excessively. Goal 3... adequate. Doing practice for a short while a few times a week but it's not the same without the class and I really miss sticky hands practice and sparring!

I accidentally wrote the first verse of Jabberwocky in Gallifreyan instead of writing my article (thanks for the inspiration Kishi) but made a few small steps towards working on the article since then.1000308_10153068625780284_1203160685_n.j

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

So I may have eaten a chocolate and raspberry souffle with ice cream today. Going from very little sugar in my diet to that led to MANIC times; most amusing.

Exercise is regular, if still not as intense as it could be, but I'm prioritising the regularity for now. Something daily, and more intense at least 3 times a week. I'm currently mildly stressing about things, so more intense exercise may help ameliorate that. Clappy push-ups are hard!

Wing chun goal 3, and article life goal are exactly the same as the last update. So far the article has been an exercise in creative procrastination and avoidance strategies. Exciting times.

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Good week so far! Got 7 hours of shading on my tattoo today. I feel like giving myself bloody +3 endurance just for that. Also I ate a burger from a fast food place during a break (craved blood sugar for the constant ouch), but I'm not going to beat myself up over it. I've had a little bread some days this week, and some days without enough veges, but overall diet is fine and calories maintained.

Went to first Wing Chun class in a few weeks on Monday (found out my Sifu had been visiting Melbourne at the same time I was there) and it was really great! Practising when I'm not there has helped me keep onto-it in terms of sticky-hands and sparring practice, and last week's bridges challenge helped me sail through the warm up quite comfortably (turns out a particular sequence involving holding a lowered push up, bridges, and side planks are what wear me out the most). Looking forward to practising my punches for this week's challenge.

Made a little progress on my life challenge article write-up. Found some journals to which I could submit, so I have an idea of specific format, and I've started doing reanalysis of my first experiment. Yuss, finally got some (mild) momentum!

I'm going to take the heavy exercise easy for a few days while I heal up, so will only do two intense exercise sessions this week, but will still do some light/isometric stuff and stretches.

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Two proper work outs this week, and vague upper body pseudo-workout today from finishing off the punchy times challenge. Didn't do much on the 'something physical every day' front, will work on that more next week.

Tattoo is behaving itself and not being especially annoying.

Also I ate cake twice this week (once at a dinner party, and also some celebration cake at work for two of my group members doing a year of volunteer service as helpline counsellors, so I had a slice out of solidarity). Cake. So good. No remorse.

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Exercised twice this week so far, should get third one tomorrow, but one of those wasn't particularly intense. Also helped a friend to move this morning, so lots of heavy boxes and stairs felt like I was keeping physical enough on an off day. 
Diet has been less good a few days this week, with parties involving carbs. Need to make sure I keep myself full enough before going to events to not feel the need to snack while I'm there!

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Yesterday I did some more kicks as a warm up before class, we ended up doing more kicks than usual during class, and I was paired up with a bouncer for our practice, so... ow. Was really great practice and exercise though.

Diet has been generally good, with a little bit of chocolate and ice cream over the weekend. I'm attempting intermittent fasting to see what my body thinks of it (read a few journal article abstracts about it; most of them are rat studies with a few human studies, but the general consensus seems positive).

Body is sore but feels good, and feeling fairly on track.

Level 3 Monk

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines