• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AddisonNemeth

AddisonNemeth begins the road to the Dark Tower

My name is Addison and I'm a 23 year old female who's primary goal is weight loss and building muscle. This is my second challenge. My first one wasn't exactly a success but it wasn't a failure either. I learned a lot and almost completely build a habit of strength training 3 times a week.

Due to a changed format of this challenge I decided to make my epic quest a little more... story like.

And being a huge Stephen King fan I could not pick anything else than Dark Tower.

So here it goes... My quest is to reach the Dark Tower. My Dark Tower is to be the best me I can be. (fit, strong and around 144 pounds in weight). I am only starting my journey and I know it will be long and full of pain and sacrifice. But it is my destiny and I will stop at nothing to achieve my goal.

My quests for this 6 week challenge are very much in sync with what Roland had to go through in the first Dark Tower book.

“The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.â€

The man in black has to be stopped. I can't allow him to best me cause if I do it will mean I forgot the face of my father. But to achieve that I have to catch him.

Part 1 of my quest is the daunting walk across the dessert. Every day I will walk in a brisk pace for an hour. (that comes up to 42 hours in 6 weeks, I might add some weekend walking to make it full 48 hours)

During my chase of man in black across this desert I will be only able to eat what I can carry, pick, or hunt. Which means only food available to me will be meat, dairy, fruit and vegetables. Nothing processed, no fast food, no gluten. However just as Roland managed to find some “fancy†food in Tull I will allow myself to consume trace amounts of bread or pasta or something else containing gluten a few times in those 6 weeks. But only in extreme situations and literally no more times than fingers on one hand.

To survive the journey and defeat the slow mutants, demons and other traps that man in black has left for me along the way I will have to be strong. I will therefore continue on my 3 times a week strength training sessions. I will attempt to transform my body into a weapon just as Cort taught all the aspiring gunslingers back in a day before the world moved on.

My life quest is a look back to Rolands days as a young boy in Gilead. To become the gunslinger Roland worked harder than anyone. He wasn't as fast or as smart as some of his friends, he didn't have any special abilities but he had clear mind. He knew that to achieve his goals he could not procrastinate. That every minute not spent on making himself better was a minute wasted and lost forever. I must become more like Roland to reach my Dark Tower. For every hour spent on relaxation (tv, internet, ps3) I must put an hour of Man Jesus honest hard work. All in. Work hard, play hard and do not procrastinate. Cause we all know that those who waste their time on trivial things get extra lashes from Cort. And trust me I don't want that.

In further posts I will explain in greater detail my workout plans, new eating habits and other stats. If any of you have any questions or advice, or just wanna chat about Stephen King and other nerdy stuff please do not hesitate to message me.

Addison.

last challenge has taught me not to trust my scale. I know last month was one of my worsts. I know the first 4 weeks of previous challenge i worked hard and managed to turn some of my fat into muscle. I have finally got back home from holiday and checked my weight today morning. 95 kg. (i want to go down to 65kg) more than I thought but as I said I am done with listening to this scale. I will take pictures and just do the best with what I've got when it comes to working out and eating healthy. and on this note we are back to my story as gunslinger in a pursuit of man in black.

The first stop on my way was Tull. this town brought me many challenges. I was unable to do my hour of walking every day due to scourging heat (Poland had over 40 degrees Celsius and not the tiniest breeze. I think a bunch of ppl actually died of heat strokes and all of the media was insisting on ppl staying home as much as they can. at one point there was 43 degrees in my town and 35 inside of my house. oh and no air con.) I therefore have 2 hours I will have to do over weekend or something.

Tull has a bar where food is being served. and what they have is what you get. which ended in some gluten consumption but that was something I knew would happen and planned for it. on monday I had a good paleo breakfast but lunch and tea consisted of pierogi from my grandma. And I would have to be suicidal to tell my grandma the last day I see her for six months that I refuse to eat food she made. (for those of you who are unfamiliar with what perogi are they are polish dumplings. a filling of, in this case, cabbage and dried mushrooms which is actually pretty healthy and paleo, wrapped in little pockets of dumpling like pastry and boiled in water). Tuesday was a day of my travel back to England. Once again I had a healthy 100% paleo breakfast of meat and beetroots and than I got in a car for 3 hours. My parents took me to traditional polish restaurant for lunch and again my choices of paleo food were limited but I tried. most of my meal was healthy meat and sauerkraut salad but due to my upcoming flight and knowing i wont have a chance for a decent dinner I had some potatoes. Sadly alcohol is rather a must in situations like this but instead of beer I opted for mead which is slightly more paleo I think lol. my best airport food option was a small ham and cheese sandwich.

I did my workout on monday however and I feel every muscle in my body. I decided to embrace the pain tho. I shall learn to love it. as some smart person once said "sore is the new sexy" :D

After dealing with all the challenges of Tull I thought being back home would make things easier. But I underestimated the cruelty of Walter (man in black). He has set multiple traps for me here. I found a can of pepsi in my fridge, there are sweets that belong to my kids everywhere, the only food I have in the house that's even remotely paleo is some frozen chicken and eggs that might be good, but its not confirmed yet. there is a ton of things like bread and cereal however. oh and my girlfriends mother is coming over for dinner which in the past always resulted in ordering take away. on top of that today i have to work out, unpack 4 x 15 kilogram bags, do grocery shopping and look after my kids cause they don't have school anymore. I also have to try and squeeze an hour of brisk walking in there.

But Roland had to overcome Walters traps too when he was leaving Tull and through his incredible strong will he managed to come out of it without a scratch. And so will I. Because in this quest Roland is my mentor and my father. And I will not forget his face just because of few tricks and traps man in black has set for me. I am more than that. I am a gunslinger.

Addison

Addison your goals and story are fantastic! I really like how you took something you loved and applied it to your fitness and life goals. I too am a Stephen King fan, although way way way behind in reading his stuff. I always like what I read or watch from him so I'm sure you'll push me to read more. 

I definitely will be following your challenge progress because it's so interesting! I'm looking forward to reading about your goals more and seeing how your days go. 

So today I took time to play around with the attributes for the role playing part of this challenge. That also gave me an idea to have some nice grading system for my quest. If I understand well every challenge 15 points is for grabs. So I will award myself 4 STR points if I manage to get all the strength workouts done. Now total number of workouts in this challenge would be 18 so 4 points for all 18, 3 points for 15 2 points for 12 and 1 point for 10. Anything less than that 10 does not deserve points.

For my diet goal I will also award myself 4 points. This time in constitution. Now I have no idea how to grade it yet and it’s late so I won’t be getting into it now. What I might do is give myself points from 1-4 every week. 4 if I ate completely paleo. If I had gluten or alcohol or sweets or sodas I would take a point off for every of those non paleo things.  Then after 6 weeks I would add up those points and take a mean out of it. This would be my attribute award.

My third goal is walking. Here clearly points go to stamina. 4 STA points for 42 hours of walking, 3 for 38, 2 for 34 and 1 for 30. Anything lower than 30 again does not deserve any points. 2 extra DEX points if I manage to walk 48 hours.

Now my productivity goal will not be graded because not always I will be able to track it. (I will be on holiday and traveling and partying. Its summer after all) this goal for now is there to remind me to move my ass of the couch. Once I get into habit of being more productive in general I can set myself more specific productivity goals with grading systems.

If any of you have any idea of how to improve my goals or my tracking techniques please let me know.

Support always needed lol

Addison

PS. This one is especially for KingLeeroy. You asked me what is my grading system and there you have it. Thank you for pushing me into doing this. Long days and pleasant nights, stranger.

I love the way you're keeping your story going in the updates! Makes it a lot of fun to read. I hope you've successfully rectified the food situation at your house by stocking up on paleo friendly items to surmount temptations. I know I had to flat out ban the foods that I was weakest to, just for a little while, to "detox" from the, when I was starting my diet.

I have forgotten the face of my father, and I cry your pardon. The past few days (but especially yesterday) it seemed like not only man in black but also all gods past and present have been plotting against me. On Wednesday I did my workout and it went very well. I managed to avoid most of Walters traps (pepsi, lack of food in the fridge) but we did end up ordering dinner. Just curry tho so it could be worse. I had half of it for dinner on Wednesday and half for breakfast on Thursday. And Thursday is when everything fell apart. My fish died, my dog was sick all over the kitchen and I had to clean it up (I have huge vomit phobia and usually my girlfriend takes care of things like that but she was at work) and on top of that I have found out that my best friend, who is on holidays in Egypt, was rushed to the hospital there cause she was vomiting all night and passing out from pain. She has barely any access to internet so all day long I had no idea whether she is ok or not. And I was freaking out. In the evening I have finally managed to find out that it’s just some weird Egyptian disease and with right medication she will be fine within few days. Needless to say I was worried as hell and eating healthy was the last thing on my mind. I had very bad meal choices and a considerable amount of alcohol. My old self would say “I messed up. What is the point? I might as well eat badly for the rest of the week and start again on Monday.†But I’m a rebel now and a gunslinger. So today I woke up and did everything right. I had a paleo breakfast, I’m going to work out (even tho life threw some more physical pain at me but that will be over in about 5 days) and I’m cooking my favourite paleo chilli tonight. Hopefully my bad luck will soon turn.

Glad to see you are still going with the prose, glad that you are doing well with you paleo stuff! Sorry about your fish and dog puke sounds awful. Hope you have a good weekend!

First week of this challenge is done. It went both well and badly. My diet went south a bit as I previously mentioned but I bounced back quite nicely. I did all my workouts and even tho I had plenty of issues with my walking goal (traveling all day, Poland’s heat wave, personal issues etc.) I managed to squeeze in a few hours. Every Sunday I will post a stat report on how the week went with my grading for diet and productivity.

Walking - 3/42 hours

Diet score – 0/4

Exercise

Rows       Squats                push ups     lunges    planks

1x8          14-20-16-10      7-8-8-8-7         14        23 sec

2x8          14-20-16-10      8-8-8-8-8         26        27 sec

2x8          14-22-16-12      8-10-8-8-8       34        42 sec

Productivity – I did quite well this week. With unpacking and cleaning up the house. Walking  also made me feel more productive. I was unaware how far I could get in an hour. It gave me great clarity of mind and a feeling of purpose. I discovered things about my neighborhood I didn’t know and saw some cool stuff along the way.

Overall it wasn’t a bad start. Tomorrow is Monday and I will dominate it just as planned.

Addison.

Sounds like a very solid start to me. It wouldn't be a challenge if you could do it all the first week--you have a very strong foundation for the next five weeks!

This desert seems to go on forever. Still the only signs of the man in black are the campfire remains I come across every night. They mock me, constantly reminding me about the incidents of Tull and bad choices I made. But dwelling upon a past or future is not what I was taught to do. Past is over and future is Ka and Ka takes care of itself. What I have to care about is now. And now I have a desert to cross. Its early morning, raining as if gods were trying to drown the human race and my walk yesterday left me with the biggest blister on the side of my foot I have ever had. But if I had to stop at any sign of discomfort I would need 5 lifetimes to reach that tower. On a bright side I am deliciously sore basically everywhere and my damned scale showed that I apparently lost 2 kg this week. This week I must go back to my basics and stay on track with this desert. My only focus is walking, eating right, and working out. Wherever you are Walter, here I come. And that’s a promise of a gunslinger.

Addison.

PS. Anyone has any advice on how to deal with blisters? When I noticed it yesterday I pierced it and got rid of the fluid. It stopped hurting and I forgot about it. However when I woke up today morning it was hurting really badly. I assumed more of the fluid got collected in it but it didn’t. What can I do to get it to stop hurting (I tried on every single pair of shoes I own. Nothing even remotely helped and I have at least an hour of a walking to do today.) I put a plaster on it for now. Is there any cream or method to make it better of do I just need to leave it alone and let it dry out on its own accord? Any help would be appreciated.

Addison, 

Way to go in the first week! Of course there will be bumps but you're handing them nicely. I too struggled with my diet in the first week and I know I can only learn from it and try for a better week 2. 

The blisters, usually mine hurt when the raw skin is open to the air. A band-aid (or plaster? I think they're the same) will help with the pain. As will Neosporin or any other antibiotic ointment. I'd keep it covered with some cream during the day and if it's not too painful let it air out at night or at least before bed. The blistered skin should dry and then be easy to remove, but usually for me it's the raw underpart that's painful.

Even with your setbacks, you're doing such good work and making such progress! You should be proud of your determination and inner strength.

Bouncing back is a huge part of success. I'm slowly getting used to the fact that a day of huge success won't get me to my goal and I day of complete failure won't make those goals unreachable, it's the average of your efforts over time that will matter.

So the second week is over. I know I didn’t post much but my life just got crazy busy so I cry your pardon. A few things I noticed. My diet is my biggest challenge. Also I might have to change my exercise routine soon. I am getting bored of it and it’s harder and harder to motivate myself to do it. Even tho I am seeing the results.

Walking  - 14/42 (did 9 hours this week. Almost caught up with the hours I didn’t do in week one.) (actually just got back from a 2 hour walk which brings my number to 11 hours this week and being completely caught up with my walks for the past 2 weeks. I'm really proud of myself.)

Diet score – 0/4 (some days I would eat very paleo some days would be total failure. Partying and ordering my food caused me to have such low score)

Exercise

Rows           squats             push ups           lunges          planks

3x8              14-22-16-12   8-10-10-8-8       43                 26sec

2x8              14-24-16-12   8-10-10-10-8     23                 35sec

3x8              14-24-16-12   8-10-12-10-8     20                 33sec

Productivity – did well. Lots of cleaning up and other productive tasks that I have to do before my vacation next week.

Now this week was quite hard. I just couldn’t make myself do anything. But I did. I did all my exercises even tho instead of my usual “mon wed fri†setup I did “tue thu sunâ€. I really like my walking goal cause it allows me some quiet time as well as to listen to some more Dark Tower on audio book. I really need to work on my diet. But my stomach doesn’t always agree with Paleo. After couple days of no gluten I usually get a terrible stomach ache which forces me to eat gluten as it’s the only thing that helps it seems. Last couple of days I didn’t eat much at all and what I did eat was half paleo half not. Well yesterday I had yoghurt and some spaghetti with a paleo spaghetti sauce. And today I had black coffee, more of the sauce (without noodles) and a twinkie that my friend got me from Egypt. So on one hand not that much food but on the other hand not really good choices either. As usual I will update my weight tomorrow and see how the progress continues.

Long days and pleasant nights.

Addison

Don't worry about the paleo, it doesn't work for everyone. Better to find out what your body likes using this as a tool.

As for exercising boredom is a killer for most routines. Maybe alternate different exercises or use an activity as a replacement?

I too notice that my body does better with some carbs, so I've been adding some in and feeling better. If I go paleo full out I get headaches and feel tired, which I know is partly because I'm "kicking the habit" but I don't really see any big changes in myself like others suggest. So I decide how to eat based on how I feel and the freedom of choosing has really helped me on the scale. I have been eating 100+ carb grams but I also have options to decrease them if I choose. 

Good luck and remember your body knows better sometimes, and paleo can be adjusted, it's ultimately up to you :)

ok so today is monday. apparently i lost another 1.3 kg last week. there is a certain issue with me continuing this challenge however. past 2 days I barely ate at all. for some reason I am not feeling well and can't eat any food without feeling sick. due to lack of calories and I think exercise I have been in a lot of muscle pain as well. my back is killing me and it stopped being "oh i had a hard workout" and now its just "this is really bad. I can barely walk". today I got a terrible tummy ache from lack of food i guess. so what I'm going to do is lay off my exercise for the rest of the week, and eat normal non paleo food until i feel better and i can get back to my diet and exercise routine. hope I will get better soon. wish me luck

Addison.

Honestly a proper diet is the hardest thing to nail down because of how all or our bodies react to things. More then just the fact that some people can eat anything some people have issues with certain foods and all sorts of stuff. I'd play with your diet till you find something that sticks.

And if your body is telling you to lay off a bit, do it. Whole idea of this thing is to get healthy.