• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ayla

Playing Life on Hardcore

Main Quest: Get in shape to play life on Hardcore difficulty setting

• I will increase the maximum reps and hold times on every excercise in the Beginner Bodyweight Challenge
  • In general, I will get stronger and more flexible. I'll be able to do such herculean tasks as:

Open surprisingly heavy doors without stumbling

Do big girl pushups

Carry groceries up the three flights of stairs to my apartment without getting winded and sweaty

Have weird, acrobatic sex

Lift heavy things without having to whine for my fiance's help

Current Missions

1. Eat Like a Person Who Isn't Actively Trying to Kill Herself

I will eat one fruit with breakfast and one green vegetable with dinner. And... this hurts to say... I will give up cheese for this challenge.

A: I did it!

B: I missed 2-3 fruits and veggies/ I ate cheese once or twice

C: I missed just a whole crap ton of fruits and veggies and ate cheese more than once or twice

D: I ate more fruits and veggies than normal, but I really didn't follow through and I just kept on eating cheese like it was my job

F: I didn't even try.

2. Exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY

I will alternate between the Beginner Bodyweight Workout and Yoga.

On a side note: When I do the Beginner Bodyweight Workout tomorrow, I will be testing my max reps and holds instead of doing the circuits. I will record my numbers here. I'll do it again on the last day of the challenge so I can post how I improved. I'll also post "before" pictures. I don't own a scale or measuring tape so this is how I'll be measuring success for this challenge.

A: Success!

B: I missed a few days

C: I really missed more than a few days

D: I exercised more than normal, but I really didn't follow through

F: I totally crapped out.

3. Take a Walk After Dinner

I will take a 15 minute walk after dinner every day

A: Hell yeah! I walked like a pro.

B: I missed a few days

C: I really missed more than a few days

D: I took a couple walks, but I really didn't follow through

F: Absolute failure. You couldn't even take one freaking walk, Ayla? Jeez!

No excuses. I can do this.

Solid goals. I am hoping things will get kicked up a notch in the bedroom too. Not quite ready for acrobatic, but I'll settle for frequency at the moment.

I'm working on frequency, too haha. It's just hard to want to have sex with anybody when you don't feel good about the way you look and you don't feel at your best either physically or mentally. It sounds silly, but I feel like if I could increase my flexibility and just be able to be proud to show off that I could do something interesting with this here body, it would bring some excitement back into the prospect of having sex. Right now I just don't really look forward to sex.

Here's hoping that'll change for both of us!

Ayla awesome goals. I think lots of us are hoping for an increase in bedroom antics after this challenge. Being the big girl that I am too much time in the bedroom isn't really interesting for me at the moment. I am hoping to love myself and wear my skin a little more proudly when these 6 weeks are up. Good luck to you.

DAY 1: I am so excited to get started!!! I'm currently sitting here eating blueberries (fruit with breakfast: check) and trying to wake up a little bit more before I do the Beginner Bodyweight Workout. With my fiance out of town and thus not in bed tossing around and scream-snoring, I thought for sure I'd get enough sleep, but I guess not.

As I mentioned in my introduction thread, I'm not only doing this 6-Week Challenge, but I'm also doing an in general 30 Day Challenge which includes things like waking up early, being productive, and getting in shape. I'm on Day 3 of that challenge, which means that I've already worked out twice in the past two days. That was probably my first real exercise in well over a year. The BBWW just killed my thighs, so wish me luck with my maximum reps of squats and lunges today!

So anyway, I'm just updating here to kind of get me on track and pumped for the day. Plus, I realized I left off my Life Side Quest and my Motivation! So here they are...

Life Side Quest: Find my fiance a new job here so he doesn't have to drive an hour and fifteen minutes to work and back every day.

Motivation: I want to be proud of myself. I don't know if I've really ever felt proud of who I am or what I've accomplished. I want to be a healthier person who is full of energy, who takes care of herself, and who can say "I worked so ridiculously hard, I followed through, and I accomplished something important and tangible and real." I want to start taking ever opportunity to push harder, get further, and improve in ever aspect of my life. I want to start surprising myself with what I can do. Starting now, I am going to be the kind of person who I admire.

I'll be back in a few hours with my max reps and hold times and my "before" pictures. I'm excited to see how far I can push myself.

Sounds like some solid goals to me. That's some good motivation too. I have to agree with princess grit and wideeyed. Getting the bedroom antics kicked up would be very nice indeed ^.^

Did it! Ok here http://imgur.com/a/kEMfI are my before pictures. Not looking the best ever. I'm going to be honest, I had a bad moment when I looked at those pictures. But it was only a moment. After that I got kind of excited because in just 6 short weeks I'll be taking those pictures again and I KNOW it's going to be better. I'm psyched to see the difference.

And these are my max reps and hold times. Disclaimer: My thighs, as I said, are KILLING me, so I'm not sure if my squats and lunges are really the best I can physically do or if it just got too painful. I'm wondering how long it'll take before I'm no longer excruciatingly sore haha. That day will be the best update ever.

Squats: 49

Push-ups (on my knees): 10

Lunges: 32

Dumbell Rows (with 16 lb weight because that's what I have laying around): R 29; L 20

Plank: 40 seconds

Jumping Jacks: 70

My upper body strength is something I really want to work on. After this challenge I hope to have enough improvement in that area to feel comfortable maybe starting to do some real lifting. I cannot yet even do one big girl push-up. I get halfway down and then my arms just crap out. And my left arm is so much weaker than my right arm it's ridiculous. I joke all the time that it's just a club; it's so weak and I have so little coordination with it that it's almost completely useless. Maybe I can build up some strength and coordination in my useless left limb during this challenge. I honestly just feel totally weak whenever I try to do anything even remotely challenging with my arms, but that's going to change soon.

Hey Alya,

Thanks for your book recommendation! I 'm reading the synopsis on Amazon :)

I laughed so hard while reading " Eat like a person who is Actively Trying to Kill Herself"     xCukw7m.gif

You have a good autoderision sense, I like that!

I'll be following your adventures, congrats for your first day!

Regarding what you said about sex :

http://jamesclear.com/start-succeed 

http://jamesclear.com/identity-based-habits

The second article is really interesting. I think that if you consider yourself as someone who is doing greatly for example in your eating pattern, you'll end up acting to fit this identity.  I think it can be applied to anything in life.

DAY 2: Yesterday I got done everything that I wanted to get done and it felt great. And then... I went out to, what I only later realized was, a party and things got a bit out of hand. I'm not happy with myself because that's not who I want to be and this morning was rough for me. Hungover, on no sleep, I laid in bed beating myself up and feeling like shit. I tried to convince myself that I didn't need to do my goals today. But you know what?

BULLSHIT!

I see what you're doing, self. You're trying to sabotage me. But it's not going to work because I'm the kind of person who works out no matter what, even when she's hungover and tired and feels bad about herself and all she wants to do is curl up in pajamas and play Kingdom Hearts all day. I'm the kind of person who feels good about who she is even if she sometimes makes mistakes. And I'm proving that to myself today by being. that. person.

It doesn't matter that I woke up late. It doesn't matter that I don't feel good. It doesn't matter what happened yesterday. I can harangue myself all day for getting out of control last night, but that's not goddamn productive. I'm going to go about my day happily and cheerfully and confidently whether I like it or not.

I'm accomplishing my goals today and there's nothing I can do to stop me.

I'm going to get dressed and bravely fight my way through Shoprite purchasing reasonably priced, healthy foods and smiling at anyone who dares cross my path. I'm going to scrub the dishes until I wear a hole through them. I'm going to fold the laundry so fucking crisply that it'll give my fiance paper cuts. I'm going to get a pedometer and go on a walk that's so long that it easily counts as both my workout and my after dinner walk and I'm going to relax and enjoy it if it kills me. I'm going to make my fiance's resume and it's going to impress the goddamn pants off people. And I'm going to stop feeding myself dirty fucking lies about how I'm not a good person or a likeable person or a strong person. Who the hell do I think I am treating myself that way? I deserve love and forgiveness and that's what I'm going to get.

Fuck you, self. Go crawl back into whatever filthy, stinking hole you slithered out of and leave me alone. You're not bringing me down, because today is a new and absolutely beautiful day and I'm too busy enjoying it to pay any attention to your nonsense.

I will report back later and I fully intend to tell you that I did everything I said I was going to do and that I had a good day and that I'm proud of my accomplishments. Boom.

Hi!

i liked the rant you had at yourself!

i saw that when you did dumbell rows you had 29 on your right and 20 on your left hand.

my suggestion would be go weak hand first and then go the same rep amount on you strong side.otherwise you will not have semetrical lats and that doesnt look good :P

with the party and drinking i know what you feel like i have completely cut alkohol from my life, apart from 2 weeks ago i went on a holiday in spain and it was aholidays with2 friends of mine and well we just went to party, i drank alcohol every single day for a whole week, and gained 2kg arg.

anyway back to my strick diet.

hope you stick to your goals!

good luck

I did it!!!!! I am so so proud of myself today because I am becoming the kind of person who doesn't give up on things and because I am becoming the type of person who can forgive and be nice to herself. I got no sleep last night, obviously, so I'm just exhausted. I'll do a better update about what happened today tomorrow. I'm just waiting for my fiance to finally get home and I'm looking forward to just chilling out and feeling satisfied with my accomplishments for the rest of the night. I can't wait until my fiance gets home so I can annoy him by insisting we watch a movie and then falling asleep five minutes in.

DAY... what is it? 5?: I disappeared out of my own thread here for a bit because I was busy getting active in my team's thread. We've gotten huge and, as awesome as that is, it seems like we're kind of moving back to our own threads for daily updates so as not to confuse each other haha.

So... what happened... Not a lot, I guess. My sleep schedule got knocked off course, which was no good, but I managed to uphold all of my goals every day (except for yesterday when I ordered mac and cheese without thinking and then couldn't resist taking a couple bites; but I swear it was only like 3 bites and then I tossed it). Then yesterday I had to wake up early to go to the beach so I'm back on track now.

Today I ate a peach for breakfast and got my BBWW in during the A.M. like I'm supposed to. I increased the weight on my dumbbell rows to 20 lbs today, also. 16 lbs wasn't making me feel the burn. I had a small turkey and pickle wrap with nuts and dried cranberries for lunch. Then my fiance and I went to see The Wolverine (he is HUGE into comic books and comic book movies and movies in general, so there was no way we were going to miss that) and I brought myself along a nice plastic bag of mixed snacks. Nuts, a few squares of chocolate, and a few pieces of beef jerky. It was ridiculously delicious and I was actually hungry when I ate it. I know eating small amounts frequently throughout the day isn't necessarily better for your metabolism, but it works well for me because I love food. It allows me to eat a large variety of food without eating too much.

Now I'm going to go clean the kitchen. Then I get to take my walk while it's still light out, which is great because I've been behind the past few days. And when I come back, my fiance will have dinner for me! I guilted him into doing the cooking tonight by telling him how his family is always saying that they think it's bullshit that he never cooks for me since he went to culinary school and it's what he does for a living haha. He promised to make a green veggie a part of the meal.

On another fitness-related note, I'm really excited because I'm getting the Rebel Fitness Guide and Vibrams for my birthday this month. I can't wait!

Well now I have a new goal in life, marry a chef, all my cooking problems would be solved! Hahaha. Good work on your challenges! Keep it up!!

Also a pro-tip about vibrams, when I got my first pair they felt so nice on my feet (I have pretty bad plantar fascitis (super flat feet) from running barefoot a lot when I was a kid) that I ran for about three miles non-stop. The next day my calves were so shot I could barely walk haha. Heed the warning on them and break them in slowly. Start with walks for 20-30 minutes at a time, then an hour, and then wear them daily if you can. After a couple weeks to a month your calf muscles should be used to them by then for running purposes but it varies from person to person.

Can I just say that the tights in your before picture are AWESOME. I want. (I also want the awesome silk-screened Nike x-ray ones, but I feel like I have to become a faster runner to justify spending that much money on workout tights!)

I also am lucky to have a partner who cooks, and cooks well. Unfortunately, he has the metabolism of a rabid greyhound, so I come home to: but I made cranberry duck with roast duck-fat potatoes and a wine sauce. It good! You can just have a small portion.

Hahaha.

Keep on kicking ass! You might want to start with wall push-ups or stair pushups to begin with, and focus on proper form. I used to do the splayed-elbow pushups, and it's been super-frustrating to try to correct my form after so many years of doing them incorrectly!

Ash: Personally, I would prefer I hadn't eaten it at all haha. But thanks a lot!

Hero: I'm going to be honest, I was kind of already planning to ignore the website's warnings. Since I'm not planning to tackle running for a few months until I'm in better shape (I'm going to be using them for walking for now, and at the gym with free weights in the near future when I can get a gym membership) and I already do almost everything barefoot, I figured I didn't need to worry about it. But let's be real, I have a crappy ankle and I'm pigeon toed. That's probably a recipe for disaster no matter how much I'm sure I'm going to love the shoes immediately. I needed that reminder to be careful!

stray cat: At least he cooks for you. I have to beg haha! Thanks for the lovely compliments on my leggings. I especially loved that compliment because I actually made those myself! Which is good news because you can make yourself a pair if you want, too. It's really fast, easy, and cheap. You just need a pair of leggings, freezer paper, and some fabric paint. All I did was find a picture of bones that I liked and then I laid my freezer paper down on top of the leggings to mark out how big I needed to draw them. Then I drew them out on the freezer paper and cut it for a stencil (super easy, I can't even draw). Fun fact about freezer paper: you can iron it onto fabric! So I ironed on my freezer paper stencil and painted. If you use white like me, it's probably going to take a bunch of layers so that adds some extra waiting/drying time. And actually, I added a layer of glow in the dark fabric paint on top. That's obviously optional, but it looked SO cool in the dark until the pain stopped working after a few washes. Then you just wait for it to dry, remove your stencil, and you're done! I actually also made this shirt to go along with it, although that was much more complicated and I can't take too much credit for it because I basically stole the design from someone else's tshirt I found online. Let me know if you decide to go for it!

Pretzle: Thank you! I don't think I've ever heard that word used to describe me before. Way to brighten my day!

Oh and DAY 6: I just want to say that yesterday marked the day that I had worked out every single day for 1 full week. What up, world!

Today I woke up really late and what's stupid is that I made a conscious decision to do that last night. Waking up early is not one of my official goals for the challenge, but it's something that I need to do in general life and something that helps me make time during the motivated part of my day to get my goals done. I've managed to get by with my goals even with my sleep interruptions so far, but I can't say I'm positive that will continue. Bad, Ayla. Stop making excuses for sleeping in unless you REALLY need the sleep (I really didn't need last night's long sleep, which is what makes it even dumber).

I'm spending the day away from home again today and I have to leave really soon. Curses! So here's the plan:

Finish my fiance's resume RIGHT NOW. It's almost done. Shouldn't take long.

Work out BEFORE I leave. I don't have much time, so it's going to be a little more cardio-esque than what I would normally do on a non-BBWW day (yoga or a long walk). I'm just going to turn on some music and dance around until I get my heartrate up and start sweating. I'm lucky it's non-BBWW day because my rules for non-BBWW physical activity are pretty loose as long as I get moving around.

Grab some fruit for a snack (I missed breakfast) and GO!

Take my walk when I get home.

Unfortunately, today is my fiance's niece's grad party and my food options are probably not going to be great. So the goal is portion control, portion control, portion control and NO DESSERTS. If I can't find any green veggies, I'll be having one as a snack after my walk.

Wish me luck.

Oh and DAY 6: I just want to say that yesterday marked the day that I had worked out every single day for 1 full week. What up, world!

Your profile pic is perfect for this quote. :smile-new:

For when you're out, I like the idea of saying "I don't eat that" instead of "I can't eat that," even if it's just to yourself. Seems to make things easier.

Sounds like you had a stressful day yesterday - I hope it all went well!

For when you're out, I like the idea of saying "I don't eat that" instead of "I can't eat that," even if it's just to yourself. Seems to make things easier.

Damn that's good, I might steal that haha.

Let us know how you're 6th day went Ayla! Keep kicking ass!!