Right.  So here it is.

I attempted another challege a few months ago, and failed.  I was trying to do too many things at once.  While I think taking away the attribute points is a bit extreme (and while I'm confused about how people could be confused about calculating them--it's not very complicated) in some ways I think it is a good idea.  It might help me, anyway.

Here's the background for my challenge.

I've been a 1st Kyu Brown Belt for more years than I care to remember, and that needs to change.  Pretty soon, I'll be leaving for college and I won't be able to continue at my studio.  Basically, it's down to now or never.

Also, I broke my collarbone about a month ago.  It's lots better now, and I have an appointment with the bone doctor in a few days.  Hopefully, he'll clear me to go back to regular class (although I know he won't let me go back to sparring and Krav Maga for a while).  Anyway, I'm going to use the break as a way to ease into the exercise/diet plan I have scheduled for myself.  I want to wake up before school (5:45-ish), practice karate, and shower.  I'll go to class without eating breakfast, because I've started doing IF (8 hours eating/16 hours fasting).  When I get home, I'll either strength train or run, depending on the day.  If I have karate class in the evening, I'll go.

It's a lot and I'm starting from a bit of a stand-still because of the collarbone, but I had good momentum before the break and I'm trying to recapture that.  Plus, I'm not starting all this at once.  I'm working up to it all as the break (and my doctor) will allow, which will let me ease in and hopefully stick with it.

So.  The challenge.

MY QUEST, AS I HAVE CHOSEN TO ACCEPT IT: Get my black belt by February.  Which means get recommendations to test in December, appear before the Board of Review in January, Pre-Test in late January/early February, and test in Feb.

FIRST MISSION: Practice karate every morning M-F, and do bagwork on the weekend.  Weekday morning workouts should be strictly 30-45 minutes total (includes warm-up and cool-down).  Weekend workouts can be any length.

SECOND MISSION: Strength training every M-W-F after classes, and running on Tu-Th.  This will be AS ALLOWED BY DOCTOR/BREAK.  There aren't any time constraints on the strength workouts--just however long it takes to finish my routine.  Tuesday running will be straight endurance--30 minutes of running.  Thursday running will be intervals.  On the weekends, I will go for a long walk.

THIRD MISSION:  Attend as many karate classes AS ALLOWED BY DOCTOR/BREAK.  Hopefully, this will immediatly include all Mainstream classes.  I'll be watching Krav, and hopefully will be able to go back to Krav, Sparring, and Self-Defense sometime in the next month.

LIFE MISSION: Keep records of EVERYTHING.  This is something I have trouble with (and something I won't be able to score myself on later Challenges without) so it's going in.  Every time I workout, it goes in my notebook.  The start and end times go in.  So does everything I did.  Every time I weigh myself, it goes in.  Any thoughts, worries, panicked moments, etc. go in.  Every Monday, I will post The Week In Review on this thread.  I won't be posting more often than that just because it's more convenient to write everything in a notebook.

There we go!  That's my Challenge, and this time I'm sticking with it!!

Current weight: 161.2

Also, I'm going to score myself even though I won't be getting anything (points) out of it.  It's fun, and it gives me motivation.  I'll give myself a letter grade in every Week In Review, and then I'll average 'em all at the end to get my overall grade for each mission, and for the Challenge itself.  Eeeee, just the thought of all that math is making me happy :love_heart: :love_heart: :love_heart:

FIRST MISSION

A: workout every day as planned

B: miss 1 day

C: miss 2 days

D: miss 3 days

F: miss 4+ days

SECOND MISSION

A: workout every day as planned

B: miss 1 day

C: miss 2 days

D: miss 3 days

F: miss 4+ days

THIRD MISSION

A: go to every class possible

B: skip 1 class I could've gone to

C: skip 2 classes

D: skip 3

F: skip 4+

LIFE MISSION

A: record everything and post the Week in Review on time

C: didn't record everything OR missed the Week in Review

F: didn't record everything AND missed the Week in Review

There.  Now I'll be graded.  And everyone who knows me knows that I won't settle for anything less than an A :eagerness:

Hey there, this looks kick-ass! Just curious, why are you adding krav to your training? Don't get me wrong, I love krav, but as a lot of the moves are illegal in karate, aren't you worried about accidentally responding cross-style?

"Whatever doesn't kill me... had better start running."

Challenge: 1, 2

Hey there, this looks kick-ass! Just curious, why are you adding krav to your training? Don't get me wrong, I love krav, but as a lot of the moves are illegal in karate, aren't you worried about accidentally responding cross-style?

Thanks! Krav is in there mainly because I love it(: At my studio, doing any Krav during a sparring match would be illegal, but part of the black belt test is a self-defense demo. I can use Krav there. I'll probably use a lot of Krav there, actually, because my demo partner is the Krav instructor.

It'll be a while until I can go back, though, because I actually broke my collarbone during a Krav class. I landed on my side wrong :P

Week One Review

Mission One: F.  I got up Monday and Wednesday to workout.  Fail.

Mission Two: NA.  Hopefully I'll be starting this week.  Maybe.  First I'll be coming up with a routine that'll work for me.

Mission Three: A.  I went to watch Krav Tuesday and Thursday

Mission Four: C.  I was late posting this, but otherwise I'm doing okay.

Current Weight: 160.8

Not a particularly auspicious start, but I'll get there.

You can always revise your goals a bit now you have tried it for a week so that you can take smaller steps to make smaller changes.  It all adds up at the end!

Good luck!  You are doing great! :)

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Week Two Review

Mission One: F.  I practiced more than I have any other week (M, W, Th), but it was still just barely an F.  But Week Four is gonna be my week :D

Mission Two: A.  Only running, but I ran Tu and Th!!!!

Mission Three: C.  I skipped Krav on Thursday, but I went Tuesday.

Mission Four: C.  Yeah, I was just a tiiiiiiiny little bit late with this review.  But my journal was good, so I get a C.  I think I'm gonna put reminders on my phone so that I actually write these xD

Week Three Review

Mission One: F.  I only practiced karate at home on Friday (practiced jump kicks, and think I did improve some.  Not that that would be hard xD).  Private lesson on Monday, but that doesn't count toward the Mission.

Mission Two: C.  As of right now, I'm only doing the running.  I think I'll add in strength training once classes start, when I'll actually be settled into a routine.  I'm hoping once my schedule is back to normal, I'll work out more regularly.  I only ran on Tuesday.

Mission Three: D.  I skipped Krav both days.  My brother was leaving soon, and I wanted to spend time with him.  That's my excuse, anyway.  I'm giving myself a D instead of an F  because I did go to my private lesson, which counts for something because I actually DID something there, instead of just sitting on my a$$ like I would for Krav.

Mission Four: A.  I actually managed to post this review on time!!

You can always revise your goals a bit now you have tried it for a week so that you can take smaller steps to make smaller changes.  It all adds up at the end!

Good luck!  You are doing great! :)

Hope all is going well!  Good luck with Week 4 :D  Rawr!

Thank you, it is going quite well!!!!! Not as well as I had hoped, but my expectations were kind of really high.  I'm happy with how it's going though(: 

Tigera, how's it going?!

Surprisingly well, all things considered!  Thank you for asking(:

Random note: Going to Krav has been hard lately because all I do is sit there and I'm a lazy girl who doesn't want to get up off the couch and drag her sorry self down to the dojo to do nothing.  But, the other day it actually did help.  I watched them do a drill in class where everyone paired off and got one focus mitt.  The partner with the focus mitt held his partner's leg, and the partner with the held leg tried to jump up and hit the focus pad with the knee of his leg that was still on the ground.  (If anyone understood that, you deserve virtual cookies.  I'll get them ready).

Anyway, I actually used the concept when I was working on my jump kicks.  I put one foot up on the base of my heavy bag, then tried to jump properly with the other leg.  I tend to curl my torso up and duck my head when I do jump kicks (it makes me glad I have long hair--whenever I duck my head, my ponytail hits me in the face.  Which means I always know if I did it wrong and I can fix it), so it was a way to work on that. :D

I watched them do a drill in class where everyone paired off and got one focus mitt.  The partner with the focus mitt held his partner's leg, and the partner with the held leg tried to jump up and hit the focus pad with the knee of his leg that was still on the ground. 

That sounds like a pretty advanced move... are you training for level 2/3?

Week Four Review

Mission One: F.  Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.

Mission Two: C.  Running on Thursday only.

Mission Three: D.  Krav no, private lesson yes.

Mission Four: C.  A week late.  :nightmare:  Oh well.

Week Five Review

Mission One: C.  Whoo!!!!  I missed Friday and Saturday, but otherwise I did good.  And I'm really realizing that I'm grading this one too harshly.  But, anal as I am, I'm not willing to change the grading criteria halfway though.  So, I'll just make it a bit more reasonable for the next challenge.

Mission Two: D.  It's switched!  Now, instead of running without strength training, I'm strength training without running.  Because currently, I don't have access to a treadmill.  That'll change in a few weeks (hopefully).  Anyway, I did the strength training on Wednesday.

Mission Three: D.  Again, no Krav but I did go to my private lesson.  And....I think I'll be able to go back to my mainstream class within a week!!  More about that below.

Mission Four: A.  I actually managed to post this review on time!!

And now I'm going to take a moment to complain about my orthopedist. I was supposed to have an appointment last Thursday, where I hoped that he would clear me for my mainstream karate class (I know I won't be able to back to Krav for at least another month).  Anyway, there was some kind of emergency at the office, which I understand.  They canceled my appointment, which I get.  They canceled everyone's appointments so they could deal with whatever happened.  Then they rescheduled me for TWO WEEKS LATER!!  That I don't understand quite so much.  I've been waiting 10 weeks to go back to karate, and now if I want actual doctor approval, I'm going to have to wait another two weeks.  I heard that, then went down in the basement to run through my katas.  For the first time since I broke my #@!%ing collarbone.  And it felt great.  I'll be doing that again today, and if it still feels fine then I'm going to go back to class, actual doctor approval be hanged.  I'll wait on pushups and drop kicks and my roundoff until he clears me, but for punching air I think I'm fine now.

End of rant.  That felt good.  :orange:

And now I'm going to take a moment to complain about my orthopedist. I was supposed to have an appointment last Thursday, where I hoped that he would clear me for my mainstream karate class (I know I won't be able to back to Krav for at least another month).  Anyway, there was some kind of emergency at the office, which I understand.  They canceled my appointment, which I get.  They canceled everyone's appointments so they could deal with whatever happened.  Then they rescheduled me for TWO WEEKS LATER!!  That I don't understand quite so much.  I've been waiting 10 weeks to go back to karate, and now if I want actual doctor approval, I'm going to have to wait another two weeks.  I heard that, then went down in the basement to run through my katas.  For the first time since I broke my #@!%ing collarbone.  And it felt great.  I'll be doing that again today, and if it still feels fine then I'm going to go back to class, actual doctor approval be hanged.  I'll wait on pushups and drop kicks and my roundoff until he clears me, but for punching air I think I'm fine now.

End of rant.  That felt good.  :orange:

I just have to say, way to stick with the challenge despite your injury! Keep it up and I can't wait to see how much ass you kick in the next challenge once you get your doctor's clearance!!!

I just have to say, way to stick with the challenge despite your injury! Keep it up and I can't wait to see how much ass you kick in the next challenge once you get your doctor's clearance!!!

Thanks!!! :D  I'm excited for the next challenge too.  And for tonight.  Because I'm going back to my first karate class since I broke my collarbone.  I'm pretty sure it's gonna hurt, but in a really good way ^_^

Week Six Review

Mission One: B.  Yay, highest yet!!!  I only missed Saturday(:

Mission Two: D.  Only on Sunday.  Bleh.  I need to work out a new schedule for this stuff...

Mission Three: B.  No Krav, but I'm back at mainstream!!! Finally!! And private lesson.

Mission  Four:  C.  Late review, but plenty accurate notes (which allow the review to be late)

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines