A long, long time ago in a far away town I first tried to steer my life in the direction of health and fitness, and while I never abandoned it completely I strayed a lot since then and never came close to where I wanted to be. Exercising as such never was a big problem, I almost always in my life did something, but eating....... That's is a whole other story. I've got a big problem to eat just because I'm bored or stressed, plus I'm able to eat A LOT in one sitting and once people've seen that, they think I need more than I actually do and shove more food on my plate than I'd taken myself.

MAIN QUEST: Leaning up (Loose the fat in skinny-fat)

If you see me on the streets you probably think me slim, but if I loose my shirt or you touch my waist that illusion crumbles away swiftly. I've been carrying my belly fat for about 15 years now and I want to get rid of it once and for all. Of course because I want to look good without a shirt on, but also for health reasons and because it limits my athletic potential. AFTER the fat is gone, my quest goes on to loose the skinny also and replace it with athletic. But that is far, far away.

Now to how I want to lean up, my supporting goals are:

Goal 1: Intermittent Fasting, twice 24 h a week

I've been fascinated with IF for quite some time now and some tige ago I incorporated one 24 fasting period per week. That worked out fine for me, so now I want to double it to two times a week. I also want to experiment a little more with the 16/8 eating window concept, but I'll make that an official part of the next challenge, I think.

Grading:               12 * 24h fastings - A

10 times - B

9 times - C

8 times - D

6 times or less - F

Goal 2: Make 95% of my meals paleo (including dairy though)

I've been eating almost only paleo breakfasts for a couple of weeks with sometimes one or two other paleo meal that day. So I'll should somewhere between 40 and 60% right now.

Grading:  95% - A

85% - B

75% - C

70% - D

less than 65% - F

Goal 3: Working on my calisthenics (Push-Ups, Pull-Ups, Dips)

This goal is mainly meant to preserve some muscle while loosing the flab. I'll exercise more than just those three, but since those are my weak ones I'll concentrate on them for measuring this goal.

Pull-Up will be greatest challenge here, but since I'm already good with chin-ups, it'll be manageable, I think.

Grading: being able to do the following on September 8th

3*30 Push-Ups plus 3*12 Pull-Ups plus 3*30 Dips - A

3*25 Push-Ups plus 3*10 Pull-Ups plus 3*25 Dips - B

3*20 Push-Ups plus 3 * 8 Pull-Ups plus 3*20 Dips - C

3*15 Push-Ups plus 3 * 5 Pull-Ups plus 3*15 Dips - D

anything less - F

LIFE SIDE QUEST: MA thesis (work at least 4 hours a day on it for 6 days a week)

My professor would probably throw a fit, if he knew that my thesis is just a side quest. But since that is only due to the organization of the challenge, it doesn't really matter anyway.

Grading: 144 h or more in total - A

120 h - B

100 h - C

80 h - D

60 h or less - F

Current Measurements for the Main Quest:

Body Fat: 20% (according to Navy Test), 16-17% (according to calipers)

Waist: 92 cm (36 '')

The path is laid out, now all that is left is following it.

the artist usually known as WALDGEIST

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

TeenWolf: #7

SHIELD: #8, #12, #13, #14, #15

Magicians: #9

"It's never too late, to become what you could've been!"

Considering that I have a reputation to eat things for breakfast other people consider lunch or dinner, that's probably how it's gonna be. :-D

It's about political attitudes in mass public, specifically all attitudes towards europe, european integration, the EU etc. I try to explain differences in those attitudes between people using a new theory about general political ideologies like pacifism, nationalism and others.

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Star Wars: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #5B, #6, #6B, #10, #11, #16, #17, (Current Callenge)

Initially I wanted to give an update once a week, but that seems so long now. Since I find everyday still too much, I'll settle for twice a week.

Midweek Report (Week 1)

Goal 1: Accomplished. Although it was a lot harder to fast on a day I didn't work. Not enough things to keep my mind wandering to food....

Goal 2: 100% Paleo those three days. Good start, but I've done that before, so just keep going. I was proud though, that I stayed strong for wednesday dinner. Not only was it the first meal after the 24h fast, so my craving was definitely enhanced, but I ate with friends at our bi-weekly pub quiz and even though they were eating pizza and ice cream around me I had a big salad plate with grilled feta cheese (and it was completely as delicious as the pizza would've been!).

Also, I talked with my boyfriend about the challenge and he accepted to support me (as long as he doesn't have to quit pasta) although he kept asking "Do you eat this? Do you eat that?". But that'll pass, I hope.

Goal 3: Worked out twice and after I had a set goal, I could actually do more than before. Already did enough push-ups and dips for a D. Pull-Ups are harder, though. Definitely room for improvement....

Side Quest: Definitely the worst of all. Only worked three hours in three days instead of the planned 12..... :nightmare: But I did have a few nice chats with other grad students in my department yesterday, which hopefully boost my motivation fro now on.

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

How long was the fasting?  I think the 12 hours ones are easier to do if you count sleep as part of the none eating time... LOL!  16 hours ones are still pretty hard for me.  I can manage it on the weekend when I don't have to go into work.  I have not tried to do 24 hours ones yet.  You'll have to share to let me know how it goes!

Oh man, pull-ups are super hard.  If you can do chin-ups, you can definitely do pull-ups!  One of these days I will have enough strength to do 1 pull-up!

And it looks like you had good days with your three main goals.  Writing always gets me, too.  But talking with others definitely helps! 

Good luck with your stuff!  You can do it!  You will get it done!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

How long was the fasting?  I think the 12 hours ones are easier to do if you count sleep as part of the none eating time... LOL!  16 hours ones are still pretty hard for me.  I can manage it on the weekend when I don't have to go into work.  I have not tried to do 24 hours ones yet.  You'll have to share to let me know how it goes!

[...]

And it looks like you had good days with your three main goals.  Writing always gets me, too.  But talking with others definitely helps!

I did 24 h, the first one was hard towards the end, but the second not so much. I could even go to the grocery store at the end of the fasting without any impulse buying!

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

End of the Week Report (Week 1)

Goal 1: Fasted wednesday and saturday (starting the night before) for 24 h. That's an A for this week, wooohoo! :victorious:

Goal 2: All meals eaten this week were paleo, except one: I went to a wine festival saturday night with my friends and ate a cinnamon-sugar-butter Crêpe from a booth there. That makes 95% paleo, which again equals an A for this week, yay! :triumphant:

Goal 3: Did my exercise 4 times this week as planned, even threw in some karate practice and stretching. So, that was a success, too, although I can't really grade it, because my grading system for this goal is only applicable after the challenge. So, I'll do pass/fail for the weekly evaluation instead: definitely Pass! :untroubled:

Side Quest: On to the bad news! "Setzen, sechs!" Which means an F. Qualitative speaking, I did make some progress this week. But it was the found-money-on-the-street-kind of progress, not the result of hard work. Quantitatively I did barely manage to reach the amount of time I wanted to on one day, let alone one week. Granted, I had other things on my mind (finding a new job, because the old one isn't really supporting me anymore) and I had to find some place where the summer heat can't reach me, but where I still have electricity and wlan, so under the next bridge or into the water wasn't an option.... :nightmare:

Plans for Week 2

-continue with goals 1-3

-make a detailed thesis work plan / to-do-list for this week and follow it every day

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Hi Waldgeist,

seems that I found another German guy here, even with similar problems and goals. Interesting to read your approach to fight the "skinny-fat".

Good luck for week two!

Current challenge 02/01-02/26

1. Reduce coffee consumption (1/28)

2. Stretching 3 times a week (0/12)

0%
0%

3. Sports 3 times a week (1/12)
8%
8%

4. Work on financial issues (0/10h)

0%
0%

Previous challenges: 1

Goal 1: Fasted wednesday and saturday (starting the night before) for 24 h. That's an A for this week, wooohoo! :victorious:

Goal 2: All meals eaten this week were paleo, except one: I went to a wine festival saturday night with my friends and ate a cinnamon-sugar-butter Crêpe from a booth there. That makes 95% paleo, which again equals an A for this week, yay! :triumphant:

Goal 3: Did my exercise 4 times this week as planned, even threw in some karate practice and stretching. So, that was a success, too, although I can't really grade it, because my grading system for this goal is only applicable after the challenge. So, I'll do pass/fail for the weekly evaluation instead: definitely Pass! :untroubled:

YAY!  Great Job on Week 1! ^_^  Best of luck on Week 2!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

You KILLED the first three goals! Congrats :D And I know that this week you'll do great on the side quest as well. I know some people had success with the pomodoro technique - did you ever try it? 

Level 2 Windspren Ranger. Syl for short :)
STR 3.5 | DEX 1.5 | STA 2.5 | CON 1.5 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 2.5

My first 6 Week Challenge thread

“And so, does the destination matter? Or is it the path we take? I declare that no accomplishment has substance nearly as great as the road used to achieve it. We are not creatures of destinations. It is the journey that shapes us. Our callused feet, our backs strong from carrying the weight of our travels, our eyes open with the fresh delight of experiences lived.†-- Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

Matschke78, bluekiwi1, Sylphrena, thank you for encouragements! :eagerness:

I know some people had success with the pomodoro technique - did you ever try it?

That sounds interesting, I'll try that out this week. Thanks for the suggestion. :welcoming:

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

A little late....

Midweek Report (Week 1)

Goal 1: Kept myself busy on Wednesday and didn't even think about eating 90% of the time. Also, I tried the proposal to exercise in the last hour of the fast (how nice that there was on article about IF published on NFjust the day before), it went well, might do that regularly now.

Goal 2: Paelotarian life goes well, but I already had my non-paleo meal for this week. I had a lust for doner kebab wedneday night, which would've been paleo if it were not for the pita it was wrapped in.

Goal 3: Increased the reps in all my exercises. Even doubled the Pull-Ups!

Side Quest: Improvement, slowly but surely. Thanks again to you, Sylphrena! I've used the pomodore techniqe and it keeps me working perfectly. Not the planned 4 hours as yet, but I might get there soon. :)

So, overall week two started good . :-D

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

I'm so glad you've found it useful! :)

I've been craving kebab lately as well. I'm not sure how paleo it is (I'm pretty confident Grok didn't have a Turkey fastfood joint around the corner) but around here you can order kebab salad. It's got all the components except for the bread.

Anyway, great job! The report looks really good.

Level 2 Windspren Ranger. Syl for short :)
STR 3.5 | DEX 1.5 | STA 2.5 | CON 1.5 | WIS 2.5 | CHA 2.5

My first 6 Week Challenge thread

“And so, does the destination matter? Or is it the path we take? I declare that no accomplishment has substance nearly as great as the road used to achieve it. We are not creatures of destinations. It is the journey that shapes us. Our callused feet, our backs strong from carrying the weight of our travels, our eyes open with the fresh delight of experiences lived.†-- Brandon Sanderson, The Way of Kings

A little late....

Midweek Report (Week 1)

Goal 1: Kept myself busy on Wednesday and didn't even think about eating 90% of the time. Also, I tried the proposal to exercise in the last hour of the fast (how nice that there was on article about IF published on NFjust the day before), it went well, might do that regularly now.

Goal 2: Paelotarian life goes well, but I already had my non-paleo meal for this week. I had a lust for doner kebab wedneday night, which would've been paleo if it were not for the pita it was wrapped in.

Goal 3: Increased the reps in all my exercises. Even doubled the Pull-Ups!

Side Quest: Improvement, slowly but surely. Thanks again to you, Sylphrena! I've used the pomodore techniqe and it keeps me working perfectly. Not the planned 4 hours as yet, but I might get there soon. :)

So, overall week two started good . :-D

YAY Looking great!  Yes, Steve's article in IF is really awesome!  Rawr Rawr on doubling Pull-Ups!  Keep going!  You are super! :D

I've been craving kebab lately as well. I'm not sure how paleo it is (I'm pretty confident Grok didn't have a Turkey fastfood joint around the corner) but around here you can order kebab salad. It's got all the components except for the bread

Depending on how you stand on the dairy issue I'd consider it 100% paleo without bread. I'd have taken the non-bread version wedndesday, but they only offerd that on a plate, not for takeout...

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

So, we decided to make fried mashed pumpkin on Friday (and it was delicious) and since my boyfriend told me he couldn't find any at his grocery store I tried mine before I wen to his place. Long story short, I found one immediately there while he went to another store at the same time and we both bought one. After that we had leftover fried mashed pumpkin made from the first pumpkin and another untouched one leftover. I ate the cooked leftover yesterday and looked around for paleo recipes to use the other for. The second I saw this Pumpkin Spice Cakes Recipe, I knew had to try it out.

Since I've never used coconut flour (although being a baking aficionado otherwise), I decided to do a test run before I do the real cakes. Basically I made a dough out of 50g flour, a little water and 2 eggs, divided it into four parts. Of which one I left as it was, one I mixed with a teaspoon stevia, one with a teaspoon honey and the last one with half a teaspoon of stevia and honey each. Baked it at 175°C for about 25 minutes.

The taste of the honey ones won with a longshot. But considering it was just plain dough with no topping, icing other other flavoring ingredients, they are all pretty good. Can't wait to try some variation here.

Somehow I can't attach a picture. Hopefully I can fix that, when I've made the Pumpkin Cakes

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Your goals sound absolutely amazing! And it's about the same end-result-goal we have, so I'll totally follow your progress along here! Also yay for being able to share German recipes with you :D

http://www.paleo360.de/rezepte/paleo-pizza/

Your mashed pumpkin reminded me of this one! Did you fry it in a deep-fryer or in the pan? I have about a kilo of leftover pumpkin sitting in my freezer and I have to get rid of that before the next pumpkin season starts, so I'd love to hear what you made with it!

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

http://www.paleo360.de/rezepte/paleo-pizza/

Your mashed pumpkin reminded me of this one! Did you fry it in a deep-fryer or in the pan? I have about a kilo of leftover pumpkin sitting in my freezer and I have to get rid of that before the next pumpkin season starts, so I'd love to hear what you made with it!

I've just read about this cauliflower-crust pizza a few days ago on an australian blog! I have to try it soon. But no, I did it differently. I used this recipe. It' pretty easy, we used about 1,3 kg of pumpkin, ate maybe 2/3 of it (two guys together) and the rest the next day.

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

The Pumpkin Spice Cake is delicious. It's moist and fluffy and if asked, no one would believe, there is no grain in it. A definite YAY for coconut flour! The drawback is of course the high price of that stuff. But if you consider that cake shouldn't be a major staple for anyone and therefore one shouldn't use it that often, it is okay. Helps you remind that cake is just a nice treat now and then.

I doubled the amount of pumpkin puree because we had so much and that worked out fine (After it was baken, I realised I could've used even more). So, this weekend we had fried mashed pumpkin, pumpkin spice cake aaaaand pumpkin cream soup at last. And I could still go on with it, seems like I've become a pumpkin addict. ;)

Also I used honey and stevia instead of mapple syrup, which worked out perfect.

post-19078-0-54241700-1376288938_thumb.g

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

End of the Week Report (Week 2)

Goal 1: Two 24 h fasts and both times I was considerably less bothered by hunger (just in the last hour on saturday)  A again for this week, wooohoo! :victorious:

Goal 2: One non-paleo meal again makes 95%. That's an A also. :triumphant:

Goal 3: Work out on 4 days and definitly improved. So that's a definite pass! :victorious:

Side Quest: I did do a lot better his week, but I still wouldn't call it satisfactory. A tentative D, might be right. :shame:

Plans for Week 3

-continue with goals 1-3

-go into the uni library everyday, less chance to procrastinate

1/3 into the Challenge Measurements for the Main Quest:

Body Fat: 19% (according to Navy Test) about 1 point lost, 16-17% (according to calipers) no change compared to two weeks ago

Waist: 90 cm, that's -2 cm compared to two weeks ago

Epic Quests

Challenges by theme

Goal 1: Two 24 h fasts and both times I was considerably less bothered by hunger (just in the last hour on saturday)  A again for this week, wooohoo! :victorious:

Goal 2: One non-paleo meal again makes 95%. That's an A also. :triumphant:

Goal 3: Work out on 4 days and definitly improved. So that's a definite pass! :victorious:

Woo Hoo!  YAY YAY!  Rawr Rawr!  Super Duper!  Congrats on a super week!  Good luck with Week 3!  Keep going strong! :D

I've just read about this cauliflower-crust pizza a few days ago on an australian blog! I have to try it soon. But no, I did it differently. I used this recipe. It' pretty easy, we used about 1,3 kg of pumpkin, ate maybe 2/3 of it (two guys together) and the rest the next day.

Cauliflower crust is such a good way to go paleo! I like to bake my cauliflower as is. You just toss it in some salt+pepper and throw it in the oven.

Im very intrigued by your fastings, looks like a good idea for the 6 week challenge. Good luck! :)

<Forest Elf>
Druid

Level 2

STR [0] | DEX [5] | STA [3] | CON [1] | WIS [3] | CHA [2]

Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist.
Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
GK Chesterson

Please follow me here on my current quest: Nim-aera, Set Yourself on Fire

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines