Blaze Runner

Blaze

You have a great mindset and are doing awesome!

Correction:  I WAS doing awesome.  Until I twisted my right ankle and did something horrible to my left foot.  The ankle is tolerable, not bad at all, comparatively speaking.  I fell at around 5.  We still went out to eat and to comedy sportz afterward, and now I'm home with a bag of frozen corn on my foot and I can hardly walk on it.

Sucks.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Spent yesterday afternoon at the ER.  The good news is that nothing's broken.  The bad news is that I have to pay for all of that.  *sigh*  Anyway.  I've been icing and elevating and I took the day off today because the RICE treatment is supposed to go for the first 48 hours, which includes today.  I can hobble around my apartment fairly well today, as compared with yesterday when I could barely lift my foot.  Having a twisted ankle on one side and a sprained foot on the other makes for an interesting waddle.  I've got crutches that should help when I venture to work tomorrow.  And I've got an ankle brace and a wrap, and a nice icepack wrap thing. 

I'm actually more hopeful today that my recovery won't take too long.  Not sure when I'll be back to running, but I do have a poor neglected bicycle that may be a better option in the short term.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

“Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.”   Vincent Van Gogh

Helloooooo!   I can walk!  It's not pretty.  Very penguin/duck-like in the way I waddle side to side, but it doesn't really hurt unless I take a full step on the left foot.  Putting too much weight on the ball of the foot is ouchie.  

So on other aspects of this challenge.  After I cleaned so diligently for my cable guy last Tuesday, something that took a few hours, I hadn't felt the need or urge to continue.  BUT all that cleaning certainly proved useful this weekend when I had unexpected guests helping me after my bit of clumsiness.  So today I decided to pick up where I left off and get MORE clean.  I chose the bedroom and set my timer for 5 minutes.  Ended up cleaning for 10.  Yay!  

I've tracked all my points today.  Was getting sloppy there, too.  Pity parties need lots of comfort food and I'd been wallowing a bit, but today I came really close to my goal and had more fruit and veg than usual.  Usually I eat nowhere near enough of them.  

And I'm reporting in here, so that's three of the 5 things I'm supposed to cover this challenge right there.  Running is off the table, but I'm about to investigate some strength exercises that can be done without too much foot involvement.  I'm sure I could continue to do my ball pushups, no feet required.  ^_^  I just need to figure out replacements for the others, switch to more core and upper body focus.  I'll report when I figure that out.  

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Checking in, gonna be up at my dad's for the weekend, resting and relaxing.  I really need some rest and relaxation after the past few very busy weeks I've had.  And bonus, there's a Packer game to watch on Saturday night, so I'm all set.  ^_^

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I had my weekly Weigh Watchers meeting last night after work.  Missed last weeks because of the injury.  The good news is that I didn't gain anything over my 10 days of inability to exercise.  Stayed exactly the same, which they spun as good and I'm trying to think of it that way too.  I certainly could have gained a bit while I was having a little pity party for myself.  I am sick of being stuck at this weight though - been hovering here for at least a month.  

So, I picked up my usual paper tracker from the meeting, which was about getting enough sleep and about tips for grocery shopping - don't go hungry, or tired, or rushed, and always go with a list.  The goal I set for myself this week, and it's one of my goals for the six week challenge but one that I'm not great at, is to track every point, plus and minus.   In point of fact, I HATE having to write everything down all the time.  But everybody says it's the best way to be aware of what I'm eating and control it.  So I'll track.  But I really want to get to a point in my life where I'll eat sensibly and maintain the healthy weight that I've achieved without having to think about points and calories and stuff.  

I also have the mini-goal this week of steering away from processed foods and toward whole foods more often.  That seems like a good step in the right direction.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

In point of fact, I HATE having to write everything down all the time.  But everybody says it's the best way to be aware of what I'm eating and control it.  So I'll track.  But I really want to get to a point in my life where I'll eat sensibly and maintain the healthy weight that I've achieved without having to think about points and calories and stuff.  

+1  Tracking is useful, but a pain.  Hopefully you'll either get to the point where you don't have to think about it...or to where you enjoy/don't mind the tracking.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

+1  Tracking is useful, but a pain.  Hopefully you'll either get to the point where you don't have to think about it...or to where you enjoy/don't mind the tracking.

It is indeed a pain.  But Weight Watchers has this tracking system for your iphone or whatever, which I don't have.  They also give out these paper trackers at every meeting, and this week I'm trying to make use of mine to the fullest extent.  One day tracked including work-out.  

I did the revamped Get On the Ball workout, which was actually pretty challenging:

20 Curl to Bridges - which works the calves and gluts and back and abs, all in a nice combo move.

30 Push-ups - I'm Level 2 on this one because it carries over from before.

20 Ab Roll-outs - challenging and also involves the arms

20 Alternating Extensions - this one I leveled up in tonight, works the back and the balancing act works the core too.

Frog Stand - I may be crazy for wanting to be able to do a frog stand, but ever since I heard of it, it seemed like a cool way to challenge myself.  Tonight I figured out how to track it.  Level 1 is 60 seconds with just the big toes on the ground for balance.  Working on building up my arm and wrist strength this way.  

I experimented with my bike today, went around the block no problem for the foot, so tomorrow I might be a little more ambitious and ride over to the bike shop to get my tire pressure checked.  Round trip is one mile.  But it's supposed to be really hot tomorrow so I think that's a good starter goal.  

I put on my running shoes for my workout, and they seem to give me best support for my foot with the arch injury.  I think I'll wear them to work tomorrow.  No more crutches or canes or wraps or braces.  Just me and my running shoes.  Gosh, I really wanna run....  which is weird.

All I need to do now is clean for 5 minutes and my challenges will all be covered for the day.  Feeling kinda awesome about that. Better go clean something before I let the euphoria go to my head.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I'm having hit or miss days.  Not that the whole day is a hit or miss, but that I'll hit on some goals and miss completely on others.  Today I gave up on point counting, but I had a good, sweat-inducing workout with the ball, I didn't clean anything but I'm reporting on here like I should.  And I got some other stuff done that needed doing tonight so feeling pretty good about that.    We'll see what I hit and/or miss on tomorrow.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I've had a fairly productive weekend, and on top of that I think, I hope, I expect that I'll have dropped a pound or two when it comes time to weigh in on Monday evening.  I've been stuck at this weight for a month at least, hoping there'll be some more downward progress.  I wanted to think of a good, fangirl-ish way to represent my weight loss, like a cooler system of measurement, but I'm kinda blanking on this. Regardless, I've calculated that I have achieved 24% of my total goal for weight loss.  So that's not bad.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

On Monday I missed hitting the official WW 20 pound mark by 0.2 pounds.  Hopefully I'll achieve that by next week Wednesday, since Monday's a holiday, no meeting.  I also just noticed that I have enough posts now to be considered a 'recruit' instead of a 'newbie'.  Yay!  

It's weird.  The other night I dreamed I was running.  Through the snow.  In shorts and flip-flops.  But I was running.  And in my dream it was a wonderful feeling.  Actual running never felt so good.  But I'm taking it as a sign that I WILL run again.  Foot is slowly improving, and as soon as this ridiculous heat spell goes away, I'll be biking at least.  I really need me some cardio pretty soon.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Taking the opportunity to go kayaking and swimming today with a friend.  Lots of activity that I've been missing lately.  And my friend is very weight conscious too so I know that we'll be eating fairly healthy for supper too.  ^_^

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

The past couple days I've been able to go down stairs like a normal human being, almost.  And today I went for a walk at lunch that was close to 2 miles.  It felt pretty good except for maybe the last half mile started to bother my foot a little.  But there's definitely improvement.  I'm actually thinking that I may be able to do that Glo Run thing after all, in a couple weeks.  Not running it, but I think I should be able to walk the 5k without killing myself.  We'll see how my foot feels tomorrow and keep working on getting back up to speed, so to speak.  I never ran that fast anyway.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Okay, I'm going to try this Hard Hat challenge thing.  My goal is to exercise for 15 minute every day.   Without knowing of the challenge's existence, I walked for 40 minutes on my lunch hour Tuesday.  Last night, knowing of the challenge, I went to bed just before 11:00 and then guilted myself into getting up and jogging on my mini-trampoline for 15 minutes.  I actually slept really good after that...  Didn't think I would.  But it's a good challenge for getting me back into exercising after being unable and/or unwilling for the past month, so here goes.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

I never wrapped up.  I suppose I should do that. 

Lack of ability to actually run seriously hampered my efforts to be a scout.  But my main quest is still on track at least.  Weight loss continues to happen because I continue to remind myself that I'm not actually on a diet that has a fixed start point and end point.  Rather, this is me changing my life and my habits toward something better and long lasting, no matter how long that takes.  If I stumble one day, it doesn't matter because the next day I'll do better.  Realizing this, and not just trashing everything after a rough spot, entitles me to +1 WISDOM, I think.  I feel quite wise over the fact that I've been on Weight Watchers since February, and despite the fact that I haven't lost as quickly as I'd like, I HAVE lost, and I haven't quit.   ^_^

As for my specific goals for this challenge...

1.  I will run 3 times a week, and continue to Train for my 5k.  

Well.  Big fat fail, but not really my fault.  I'm miffed about not being able to do my 5K, not even to walk it.  But my doc showed some concern about the fact that the foot is still slightly swollen and occasionally problematic after a month.  She wants me to come in for an MRI next week and then maybe she'll have me be completely off the foot and on crutches.  To which I say...  ah, nope.  I hate crutches.  I'm healing, I'd say back up to 85% of where I was.  After this winter and the possibility of buying a treadmill, we'll see whether or not running is still on the table for next year.  Not sure how to grade myself on this one.  I think maybe a point each to DEX and STA, just because I was doing it those first two weeks.  I was committed.

2.  I will check in Every Single Day.  

I did not check in every single day.  As the days progressed I checked in less and less often.  But in my defense, I really didn't have much to say, not being able to run and all.  For checking in about half the time, I'm gonna grade myself a C, so another 1.5 to WIS

3.  I will track my points like a BOSS.  

I did not track my points quite like a boss, but I did track a lot more often that I used to so that merits a solid C and CON +1.

Side Quest

Strength training was an utter fail.  Started a couple programs but didn't stick with them.  It was very hot here.  I don't have AC and I really don't want to be doing strength in an 80+ degree apartment.  So...  yep.  F

Life Quest

This one was very nearly a fail.  I did clean from time to time.  But the habit building didn't happen.  So maybe CHA +0.5  

And there we have it.  I should probably mention that as I can't run and who knows how long it will be until I can, I've been considering jumping ship.  More specifically, I've been scoping out other guilds to join.  I'm no Druid.  No Monk.  Definitely not a Warrior or a Ranger.  Scout and Assassin are the guilds that fit me best, along with the 'all-around fitness' aspect of Adventurer.  In my heart, I feel like I might belong in the Assassins guild.  If I could do parkour, I would do parkour.  I love watching people do that stuff.  I also love rock climbing and  I started off my year in January doing that.  Improved quite a bit over just a couple months, and now that I'm a bit lighter than I was at the start, and getting lighter all the time, there'll be less of me to drag up the wall and it'll be that much easier.  I'd like to be more agile, and I still have this odd desire to be able to do a frog stand - which is hand balancing, which is so Assassin's guild.  I think I'll mosey over there and see what's what.  I'd be, like, the lowest level assassin ever, negative level assassin ^_^, but all I can do from there is keep leveling up.

Blaze the Bounty Hunter

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines