• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

Ensi's Challenge #2 - Finding Inner Peace

Way to go, Ensi! You're doing excellent on all your goals thus far!   :star:

Also, it's good to see there are artists on NF. Maybe we could do an art trade sometime? :)

Thanks! :) I've done better than yesterday: my mum and I went for a walk, I completed a kettbell workout and though I've eaten already around 80 grams of carbs, they've mostly come from good, clean food... which, for me, is more important than just eating as few carbs as possible. I nibbled some bun dough, because I had to bake, but I've decided it's OK to have one little treat every day. For now, that suits me better than no sweets at all. After all, I was in Succulent Adventurers group during my last challenge :D

Art trade would be fun! It's been years since the last time I did one :) What would you like me to draw? And what are your tools?

And now, some kettlebell information...

I usually make a list of 7 kettlebell exercises, and take that list with me when I work out. I have an interval timer in my mobile (I'd like to buy a proper one, though), and I do three sets with my kettlebell:

the 1st set: 7x 1 minute, 15 seconds of rest between exercises

the 2nd set: 7x 1 minute, 15 seconds of rest

the 3rd set: 14x 1 minute, 10 seonds of rest

That adds up to about... a little over 30 minutes, total. It's super funny, and I don't get bored :)

I'll edit today's final stats here later. See you!

Good workout! And I agree, a little treat is better than no-treat-zomg-eat-all-the-treats-nom-nom-tasty-guilt. ;)

Yay, art trade!!!!!! :D I mostly go with pen or pencil, although I've had some success dabbling in watercolor before. What could you draw for me? Well, I'm a fan of butterflys, horses, abstract, the ocean, fantasy.... ooh, I know! Draw me something iconically Finn (ish?)!

What shall I do for you in trade?

It's day 10! Stats: 1801 kcal, 126 g of carbs. Can't wait to get back home in a couple of days :)

You like horses! Brilliant, I love drawing horses :D I'll draw you a Finnhorse! They are pretty awesome, and a lot like Finnish people... Quiet, strong and stubborn. Maybe you could draw me a horse, or your favourite animal? Drawings of animals or nature are always welcome :)

So, Thor: The Dark World Trailer #2 is here. Expressing my feelings for this would require an inappropriate amount of caps lock and high pitched squealing, so I'm just gonna leave this here and go sob somewhere for the rest of the evening.

I won't be so subtle and just day OMG OMG OMG AAAGH THOR!!!! I can't believe I missed the trailer. I looks awesome.

Anyway. Definitely sign up for your gym at uni (my one costs probably the same and has exactly same terms). You'll love kettlebells class as it usually has a lot of variety every session. It's one of my favourite things in the world at the moment.

Glad to see you're doing well (and ice cream is awesome and I couldn't banish them from my life)(just enjoy with moderation...sadly).

Good luck! :)

I won't be so subtle and just day OMG OMG OMG AAAGH THOR!!!! I can't believe I missed the trailer. I looks awesome.

Anyway. Definitely sign up for your gym at uni (my one costs probably the same and has exactly same terms). You'll love kettlebells class as it usually has a lot of variety every session. It's one of my favourite things in the world at the moment.

Glad to see you're doing well (and ice cream is awesome and I couldn't banish them from my life)(just enjoy with moderation...sadly).

Good luck! :)

Yeah, subtle means boring so I KNOW RIGHT WAAAHHH HTHHOOORRR I'M TOO HAPPY TO FUNCTION I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR SOOO LOOOONG AND I'M CRYINGGG ALSO THIS GIF

tumblr_mr63abC4TW1snbw29o1_500.gif

(Nice to have you to share Sherlock and Thor feelings with, laurabzz :) )

Yep, I'm waiting for the university sports season to start next month... I'm happy to go back to studies in a few weeks! I'm gonna succeed this time, no mental breakdowns... Maybe :D And I can hardly believe how well I've succeeded in not eating that ice cream. Woah.

Anyhoo, it's been a long day and I want to go to bed, so here's the stats of day 11: 1700 kcal, 100 grams of carbs. I also went for an hour's walk/jog with my mum, so that's one workout session for the week. That means I only have one strenght training session left for exercise goal. Hurah!

As said, my eyes are tired and I'm tired and I'm going to bed now :) See you all tomorrow!

Working out will help you cope with studies stress, too. Just be sure to keep your routines simple and straight forward - there'll be enough on your brain again already, and you want the gym to be a place where you don't have to think about anything for a little while. :)

Horses it is! I will start working on yours ASAP! :D

Also: *explodes with excitement and anticipation of new Thor movie*.

Working out will help you cope with studies stress, too. Just be sure to keep your routines simple and straight forward - there'll be enough on your brain again already, and you want the gym to be a place where you don't have to think about anything for a little while. :)

Horses it is! I will start working on yours ASAP! :D

Also: *explodes with excitement and anticipation of new Thor movie*.

You're absolutely right, working out is great for handling stress! I actually have Rebel Fitness Guide, which I bought last year. I thought I might pick ready exercises from it for the gym :) I'll start working with the trade next week, when I get back to my apartment and scanner!

Um.... what exactly is thor fighting?  I'm familiar with the actual lore; not the comcis lore. 

... cravings? :DD OK, I don't really know. They're not really showing much of the villain here, only that he's not very good at driving that flying ship of his (he hits everything). I haven't read the comics, either, but I really like the movie universe and I'm thrilled to see, what's gonna happen to all the characters. :)

I haven't tracked eating today, I decided to take a day off. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

I ate some chocolate for breakfast, woot! Oh well, it was good and I don't feel too bad about it, since I went for a jog after it and otherwise I've eaten well today: I bought myself a cast iron pan and made a chicken stew with zucchini and red peppers, and had it with some goat cheese and peach slices. I love making foods with cast iron pans! You just let the food cook in a low heat for a couple of hours. The food cooks slowly and that makes the meat brilliantly tendered. Yammy! Now I have a big pile of chicken for a couple of days :) I thought I might take some pictures of the pan, as well as my kettlebells... I'll do that next week. I also biked to the library to return a few books, that took me an hour. It's been a nice day, all in all.

Well, now it's time to get back to my studies for a while. See you tomorrow!

That's why I like using a crock pot- I just let the food simmer for hours and meat just falls apart.  Was it dark chocolate?  I've found that if I have some small dark chocolate pieces lying around, they're sweet enough to stop cravings, but a few of them will taste bitter and gross.  It's a good in-between that I've found. 

I agree, terosx! Cooking is loads of fun :) It was just regular milk chocolate, blergh. I only buy dark chocolate myself, but mom had bought some milk chocolate. Now I've finally returned to my own apartment, so I can control my diet a lot easier! I just bought some 86 % dark chocolate, should I feel the need to have some. I just had some zucchini stew with tuna, yammy......

-And now follows a brief history of my food addiction. It's long, so prepare yourself, dear reader, or skip this part! :D -

I've been thinking about eating sweets lately... Since my mum told me this summer that she used to buy me chocolate back when I was a kid to cheer me up when I felt down. And that right there explained me my behaviour during my first years of school.

Back in primary school I ate one big bar of chocolate every day. I was depressed and ill, and chocolate... well, I ate about 200 grams daily. My behaviour was that of a chocoholic: I bought a lot of chocolate and hid it from my parents - the more I had at home, the better. It's only now that I see that back then I ate chocolate, because it made me feel safe. I was overweight, unsure of myself and my family had horrible rows. Chocolate was all that I had, which is kind of horrible! I kept eating sweets and chocolate through the years, and I stayed overweight. The situation got a little better a couple of years ago, though, but I still ate a lot and couldn't stop eating once I started. And then there was last winter.

Last winter I started having panic attacks. Before realising they were panic attacks, I thought that they were caused by food, which made me terrified of eating. At some point I only ate yoghurt: I was especially scared of nuts, because I had just eaten them a moment before one panic attack (during which I lay on the floor  absolutely terrified for half an hour: I had difficult time breathing and I was sure I was going to die). That was insane, because I had eaten nuts daily before that and I'm not allergic at all! But... When live gives you lemons, make lemonade, right?

I was too scared to eat chocolate or sweets, as well. I've never felt like not having candy before, so I used that for my advantage. And now I feel like, for the first time in my life, I have control over eating sweets. I can take one piece and stop there. All in all, I've really had to think about my relationship to food, and can now see that it has been a really emotional relationship. I'm trying to turn it into a healthy relationship and have emotional relationships with books, drawing an other stuff instead of eating.

- Here ends the lonf history blergh blargh -

Phew. I like to write. Anyway, stats!

Yesterday was day 13, 1426 kcal and 77 grams of carbs. I started to cut down on dairy, and that shows.

Today is day 14, 1429 kcal and 63 grams of carbs.

And right now I realise that I have only done one strenght workout this week! Hmm. I'll let it pass, I carried around heavy luggage today. :I 100 % next week, then.

Weekly stats!

Food? Tracked eating 6/7 days. I've stayed in calory limits most of the days, and I see that leaving dairy out of my diet helps me to keep the carbs in check. I've eaten a small sweet treat every day, but not more.

All in all, it wasn't a very succesfull week, but it has taught me a lot. I'm going to give it 70 %.

Exercise? I totally forgot exercise today because of travelling! :D 2/3 this week, but I've kept to my walking goal, so I'm giving it 75 %, right?

Mindfulness? 'Morning yoga' has turned into a short stretching session, so that's what I'm going to call it from now on. :D Mindfulness exercises are going well, especially yesterday. I felt slightly scared of travelling and living alone again, but with some meditation I was able to calm down completely, which felt awesome. And today on the train there was a girl, who ate chocolate with nuts... And I almost went nuts, but succeeded to calm myself down (nuts still scare me at times. It's almost funny, this nut phobia of mine). I'm still waiting to see, if my university sports offers yoga... All in all, I'm giving this week a solid 95 %.

Week #2 final score: 80 %

Next week I'm going to concentrate on cooking dairy free foods, do my exercises and study ahrd for my exam on Friday... Onwards! :)

EDIT! I got a little pissed because of one missed workout, so I just got up and did the Beginner Body Workout, and some kettlebell swings :D

Exercise: 3/3, which means that exercise is 100 % this week!

Week #2 definite score: 90 %

Hurah! :) AND OH MY GOOOD USAIN BOLT JUST WON 100 METRES RUNS YAYYYYY!!!!! *fangirl squealing*

Day 15! Stats: 1583 kcal, 63 grams of carbs.

I had some trouble sleeping last night, and my stomach hurt really bad this morning. I had the same symptoms last autumn, when I was stessed out... Well, travelling back to my apartment was a little exciting, which might explain it all. I've spent the day just calming down: a few mindfulness exercises and some yoga. I'm feeling better already, but I'm going to follow the situation for a couple of days.

Despite some stomach issues, it's good to be home. I bought some turkish yoghurt, which isn't as problematic to my stomach as some other yoghurt brands, and it's gonna do for now until I'm ready to drop all the dairy out. :)

Now I'm going to start with that art trade :D See you all tomorrow!

Hello! :) I'm sorry I've been away a couple of days... a whole week, actually? Woah. I've just had so much to do, so many people to meet and a couple of exams that I haven't had enough energy to log in here. Also, I'm having my period, which was a big surprise to me since I barely noticed my PMS symptoms. Sure, my stomach hurt and I felt tired, but there was no emotional breakdown like I usually have. That should keep me motivated, because I think all this is because I've started eating more vegetables and cut down on sweets. Anyway, things are getting more normal now and I will be able to keep logging stuff here as usual :)

That being said, the challenge is going well! I've done all the exercises this week (kettlebell on Wed, jogging on Fri and today I did a beginner body workout), I've tried some new recipes for cooking and concentrated on having vegetables and lean meat in my fridge at all times in case I'd feel like snacking. I still have some problem with dairy: if I have any yoghurt in my fridge, I'll eat that stuff like there's no tomorrow :D I see now that a simple "I try not to eat dairy" won't do. I have to learn new recipes and find alternative snacks for non-dairy days to happen, and that's what I will be concentrating on from now on. Today I decided not to drink coffee anymore, because I drink a lot of milk with it. I've replaced coffee with green tea. It has less caffeine than coffee, which should be good for my anxiety, as well. (I felt extremely tired earlier today, and realised that it was because of caffeine withdrawal! Let's see how that'll feel like the next few days... I'll keep drinking tea, since it has some caffeine, but not as much as coffee.)

Mindfluness, then. I ate some salmon today with cheese and black pepper and it was delicious. Last winter during my depression I barely tasted the food I ate, and eating was very stressful. But today... that salmon was just so good that I really just let it be in my mouth and try to taste all the yammy cheese and stuff. So it's going good, and I feel like food is becoming less of an issue as the time goes by :) I haven't tracked all the times I've done yoga, but I bought myself a new yoga carpet and I'm doing it daily when I feel like it. My university sports offers yoga classes this , so that solves one part of my goal :)

I'm just quickly going to grade this week 85 %. I still mostly struggle with my diet, but as said, I will concentrate on having good food available at all times. I feel good when I eat less dairy and sweets, which keeps me motivated. I won't track my eating anymore, I've done that for a few weeks now and though it has given me a lot of information, I'll try to fly solo from now on. :)

Also... About my website goal. I decided that learning HTML would be too much for now, so I just opened a dA-account! Here it is! For now there are only two drawings, but hey, I still have three weeks :D See you all tomorrow!

ART!  How's the stress going?  Never heard of Turkish yogurt.  How is it different from the regular kind?

Stress has gone away for now! I realise it might have been just another PMS symptom. Most of those troubles are all hormones. :D Turkish yoghurt is a fatty, yammy yoghurt: it has 10 % of fat in it. It's very popular among Finnish low-carb community, but I'm leaving it out, as well. Dairy just doesn't play too well with me. :P

Thanks for checking up on me, you both! I'll come check your challenge threads tomorrow, now I've spent almost 45 minutes writing here already... And I'm sleepy :D Gonna go read a book. Laters!

Wow sounds like you are doing really great with your goals! And great that you have learnt so much from tracking your food. If stuff you eat is making you feel rubbish then way to go finding ways around that and new recipes. With a little work you will totally be on top of your diet goal!

I love salmon too, yum yum yum. Pity it can be expensive so I don't have it as often as I would like.

And I loved your pictures! Couldn't read any of the Finnish comments though haha!

Good luck for next week and keep up the great work!

Thanks, Gypsy! Yeah, salmon can be expensive, which, on the other hand, makes it a delicious treat every now and then. Can't get bored, you know... : D And don't worry about the comments, there was just a 'friend' of mine who said I was stupid to even consider getting a pug, because they have respiratory issues. She does have a point, but she was unnecessarily rude and I decided to disable comments and just tell people that I don't have time for comments at the moment. That's true, actually. Studies take a lot of time and I'm prioritizing NerdFitness over deviantART comments, since coming here is also a little time consuming... which is due to the fact that I love to write, as you may have seen!! :D

Other than that, I've had a very good day. I felt upset because of the dA drama, and decided to let out some steam and go jogging. I started jogging after a warm up, and after I had cursed all the annoying comments to damnation in my mind, I suddenly realised that running actually felt kinda good today. I kept an easy pace and ended up jogging for 25 minutes straight! There was no pain in the knees nor did my chest tighten as it has done before. This is actually the second time I've gone running in a week: last Friday I jogged about 15 minutes. Maybe I'm getting back on my legs, so to say? I'd love that, since running is super fun, especially in the forest! I'll keep experimenting :) I also spent time with a good friend of mine and forgot about all the upsetting stuff. Hurah!

The only thing bothering me a little is that the virus is acting up again... It's not as bad as it has been, but I do feel a little tired. It usually activates when I'm stressed and tired, so I'm going to relax and have some fun the next few days.

When it comes to the diet: I'm not going cold turkey with coffee just yet, I need to stay focused because I can't concentrate on studying with all these withdrawal symptoms! I've noticed that if I have one cup every morning, it'll keep me in check and it's not too much :D Otherwise I'm happy to announce that my plan to have ready chicken portions in the freezer is going well and I just heated up a portion today with some mashed cauliflower. Yay!

Blergh. Now I'm going to study a little more. Here's a happy video for you :D

Ah, it's late and I'm going to listen to some music in bed, so tl;dr: It has been a very ordinary day, nothing special concerning the challenge. I did some yoga today and now I'm going to meditate for a moment. I also submitted another drawing on my dA account. :)

I think the article What if the Princess Doesn't Need Rescuing? was interesting. I've always had to listen to people asking me about boxing and lifting heavy weights... They say it's too manly for me. Well, you just gotta let the haters hate and keep doing your thing. That's how I see it!

I swear, my warhammer workout is NOTHING like that.

And if you're worried about coffee withdrawal because of the caffeine, perhaps start having some dark chocolate?  Choc has small amounts of caffiene in it.  When you're ready, that might be the gateway thing you can have to ween off of coffee.

I swear, my warhammer workout is NOTHING like that.

And if you're worried about coffee withdrawal because of the caffeine, perhaps start having some dark chocolate?  Choc has small amounts of caffiene in it.  When you're ready, that might be the gateway thing you can have to ween off of coffee.

Yeah, I'm sure it takes years to build enough stamina for a workout such as Thor's. o__o Nothing to be ashamed for! And thanks for the tip, I went and bought some dark chocolate (86 % goodnesss) and I'm going to replace my afternoon coffee with that from now on. I think I'll keep drinking coffee in the morning, but only one cup. It's no harm done, I'm sure, just trying to find a balance here. :)

At times I sound like someone who just can't decide what to do with her choices, but I'm trying to find what works through trial and effort. Actually I think I'm starting to find all the essential ingredients here: adding vegetables to my diet, replacing dairy with said vegetables and eating 4-5 times a day seems to do the trick for me. Leaving sweets and grains (no more oatmeal in the morning) has also helped a lot. I'm starting to notice a difference in how I feel: mentally, I'm more energetic and focused. I've studied almost three hours in total today and I don't feel exhausted. But it is the physical difficulties that have made all this possible, I think.

There was too much strain on my body last winter and it kind of broke down. I wasn't good at engaging myself in any long-term goals, and I could follow a certain diet for a week or two before getting bored. I could stop eating a certain way, but I couldn't get away from my body. It was frustrating, how my body just wouldn't be able to do the things that it used to. Actually, it was downright scary feeling so unable to do anything. I just felt miserable, until at some point I understood that recovering from such an exhaustion would take months (I could barely walk around our backyard without feeling like fainting).

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is where I learned to make a long-term commitment to my body. I just had to keep believing in recovery. I guess that's how long-term mentality works, right? I started telling myself things, like "it's OK you gained a lot of weight, it's not because you're stupid or weak, it's because you're depressed and sick. We'll fix everything and get better!", "Soon these months will have passed and we'll be a lot better!" and my all-time favourite, "This too shall pass". Thinking positively has been difficult at times, but meditation has helped a lot along with getting back to my studies. During this challenge, this kind of long-term mentality has helped me to make to snack on vegetables instead of eating some yoghurt and feeling bad about it. I'm not happy that it took such an extreme way to get this balanced, but can't be helped. Gotta look forward and make lemonade out of lemons. :)

Today I went running, and this is the third time since last Friday that I've run 20 minutes straight! So that makes my exercise goal 2/3 completed at the moment (since I went running on Monday), so during the weekend I'm probably gonna do the beginner body weight workout. Diet is going fine, too :)

Blah blah blah! tl;dr: 

Hey Ensi, thanks for stopping by my thread thought I'd come see how you are getting on. I can empathize with the feeling sick and down and not being able to set goals. The struggle to stay positive is difficult but glad you kept strong through the tough times. I found it a lot more difficult.

Glad to hear you are doing well with your goals, and congratulations on being able to run for 20 minutes straight! I don't think I've ever been able to do that, really amazing!

Thanks, Leeroy! :) I feel you, it's not easy to keep going when you're depressed. But then there's always the point, at least for me, when I get sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. That's when you just have to eliminate all the harmful stuff, look ahead and give yourself time to heal. That's important, I think. Difficult, but oh-so-important. :D

In other news, I went to see Pacific Rim yesterday evening. It blew my mind away and I woke up in the middle of the night after having a dream about fighting a Kaiju. :DD Serious fangirl feelings here, watch out! Also, they showed the Thor 2 trailer before the movie!! My 3D glasses didn't work and I sprinted out to get a working pair. (And this is why running pays off: you can get a pair of working 3D glasses fast.) There was a really cute guy giving the glasses, but I was like "OMG THOR IS THERE PLEASE MISTER GIMME GLASSES" and that's the story of how I never date anyone. :DDD

Yesterday I also had an entrance exam to creative writing... Not sure how it went, but there were 100 people trying and they only take 25 in. Uh oh. If I can't get there, then there's the Finnish language, the entrance exam of which is next Monday. So, today and tomorrow I will study like a hurricane (... destructively and in a noisy manner, flipping all the papers around?). I just finished a 40-minute kettlebell workout, and I'm feeling super about it :)) Had some pain in the stomach earlier in the morning, but that's probably because of all the exams. Otherwise I'm feeling very good, and had some chicken with smashed cauliflower. Yammy!

So what you're saying is I have to go watch Pacific Rim. I actually never thought about watching it for some reason. 

I love your long-term mentality thoughts. This is where I struggle a lot myself. I love your positiveness everywhere! This challenge seems to have a very good effect on you (which it obviously should do). 

I've dealt with depression ever since high school and yeah; I get the 'sick and tired of sick and tired'.  It's like you don't want to wallow but you just do.  There's an entrance for creative writing class?   I went my entire creative writing class having no idea if I sucked or not.

So what you're saying is I have to go watch Pacific Rim. I actually never thought about watching it for some reason. 

I love your long-term mentality thoughts. This is where I struggle a lot myself. I love your positiveness everywhere! This challenge seems to have a very good effect on you (which it obviously should do). 

You see, in some people, there is a soft spot for movies where huge robots fight giant monsters... :D I do have my complaints, but I was, to put it mildly, entertained the whole time. The fight scenes and special effects where the coolest things I've seen in a long, long time. I liked the actors very much, and even though some have complained about badly written characters and dialogue, I only agree with them to a certain point. I mean, the trailer promised some awesome robot battles and boom boom crash bang. That's what I wanted and that's what I got. Also, something about the atmosphere made the kaiju threat seem very real, which was awesome. Aaargh overload of the word AWESOME here, sorry! I've been studying the whole day, resisting the urge to put all the books aside and design my own Jäger... which I'm going to do after the exam tomorrow. :D

By the way, the soundtrack... Good stuff. Excellent.

And yes, this challenge is doing very good things to me, not to mention everyone's support here! It's very important to chat with people, who are going through the same obstacles, you know. So thank you for checking up on me every now and then, it always gives me a boost to see people wandering here! :)

I've dealt with depression ever since high school and yeah; I get the 'sick and tired of sick and tired'.  It's like you don't want to wallow but you just do.  There's an entrance for creative writing class?   I went my entire creative writing class having no idea if I sucked or not.

You're right about that, it's difficult to stop wallowing. x__x And when you get the 'sick and tired', you get even more frustrated because you can't stop wallowing! At that point, it's just better to do something creative to keep your mind off bad things...

There's an entrance in my uni. It's a very popular subject, and they simply can't have over 100 people in the courses that are all about small group projects. I'll hear from them in a couple of weeks, right now I'm concentrating on the Finnish exam that I'm taking tomorrow... If I fail in both those optionts, then I'll study art history, psychology or... or something. I hope I'll get either creative writing or Finnish, though. Nice to hear you've studied writing, as well! What kind of texts do you like to write? :)

Quick stats of the week:

I went running today, so that means I've done not only three, but four workouts this week. Hurah! 100 %

Diet? As I said before, I haven't tracked my eating since I decided to fly solo. Nevertheless, I've lost my crazy craving for yoghurt and dairy, and had max 2 portions of them daily. I've also learned to make some new vegetable snacks to replace dairy products. I ate some salmiakki today (it's Finnish candy, which is a lot like salty liquorice). No regrets there, it was delicious :D Overall, I'm feeling very good (and seeing some progress in the mirror), so I'm giving this week 90 %

Mindfulness, then. I feel like I need to meditate less now that I can exercise more (that keeps me calm), but I've a few minutes of yoga every day. Gotta love my yoga mat :D And I've really started to taste food again. Eating's becoming a happy thing again, it no longer scared me like it did at some point... When I make foods, I only concentrate on that and the process. So, this week is 90%

Week total: 93%

I'm starting to notice that I will need a little more precise goals for the next challenge :D I'll make that my mini goal now: Make more precise goals next time.

See you all tomorrow! Only two full weeks to go!