TRX

There are suspension trainers which are similar to the TRX but far cheaper on places like amazon. Failing that there are also guide on how to make your own suspension trainer on youtube. If you want a genuine TRX they come up on ebay but they are normally expensive, a cheap one would likely be a knock off.

• Like 1

1 Challenge completed.

I just did a review of my WOSS knock-off I got from Amazon. It was $32 and worth every penny. How can the people at TRX sleep at night charging $250 for some nylon webbing and handles? I like mine for rows and push-ups. Eventually I'll try my hand at dips, and once I get my gym remodelled and I can hang them from the ceiling I'll do neutral grip chins for sure.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

You can get a set of EliteFTS Blast Straps right now for $66. They're on sale.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put in my 2 cents.  If you look at the story behind the TRX the original was made using straps and parts from other things laying around while the creator was on a deployment.  With all fairness and after looking at several different ones the TRX is a very solid piece of equipment and im not trying to knock it.  If you can afford it by all means go for it and im sure you would be happy.  I made one my self using 2 10' long 1" thick cam buckle nylon straps ($5.80 at Walmart) and a 13' X 1" strap (Ratchet tie-down for$3.50 at Walmart) and a 1" pvc pipe ($2.00 at menards) and it works fine.  The main things you have to think about when making one is that using knots weaken the straps by up to 50%, any load on the straps above 75% of the breaking strength permanently damages the strap (example: 600lbs breaking strength with a knot is now 300lbs breaking strength with permanent damage happening at 225lbs)  .  Im planning on remaking my diy trx not using knots and instead sewing the straps but even with my diy I still get a good workout and am quite happy.

Since last smoke: (Created by Catspaw)

http://htmlpad.org/emclinuxnosmoke/

I mean you can do 98 percent of excercises on a set of hangable gymanstic rings and only cost you like 70 bucks versus 100 to 130 bones.

Have you tried Ebay or Craigslist?

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

There is also the Jungle Gym XT it's $100, so still pretty expensive when you compare to making your own. But it has good reviews, and most reviews I have read they say they like it better than TRX.

I got a JungleGym XT at the end of summer and I love it!  I did buy the wall anchors and set it up in my garage, I am 350+ lbs and was afraid a simple inner door would not hold LOL.  Yes it cost $100 plus $25 for the anchors but if you think about it and use it once per week for a year it still breaks down to less than $2.50 a week, less than a happy meal even.....and a much better and healthier investment:)

And in the last 6 weeks using 2x a week on average I have already seen great results: upped all my movements by 5 each set, so by 15 total....aka added a whole extra set.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

I have the Jungle Gym XT that I got off ebay for $30 and was in amazing shape.  The trianing video is decent but as others have mentioned you get better resources off the internet to build a routine that works best for you.

the J Gym gets a higher rating then the TRX in my book just because of the independent straps.

You can get a set of rings on ebay for 20-30 bucks.

Well played sir well played haven't bought a new set i about 4 years bought ones from ring training back in the day for 70 bones each and they have lasted forever.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2