Cheechoe vs. THE WORLD

Cheechoe

Ah, I know the feeling. Glad to see you're back into doing TKD regularly. How's the knee feeling?

Yes, my knee is going fairly good so far. Sometimes it feels very wobbly: Mainly when I'm doing jump spin kicks and landing on that leg. :hurt:

Nice workout, what did you do with the battle rope?

Thanks! :joyous:  I did alternating up-down motion for the first 30 sec, then in-out motion for the last 30 sec of each round. Oooooohhhhh, those things will RIP you up! Good for ALL the arm muscles and core!

Oooh, hate when that happens. Technically I can have a full night of sleep (8+ hours) but if I dream too much during that time I feel no rest at all...

I know, isn't that weird? I thought we only dreamt in REM: surely we'd be getting rest. But the brain doesn't feel rested. Grrrrrrr....

Yay for spontaneous programming! As long as you're up and moving, it's all good.

I've never mixed raw eggs or egg whites into a smoothie before. How is it?

Yes, I'm a sucker for programming my workouts. I have to have it organized in rounds, sets, or time. Otherwise I feel all over the place.

Eggs are awesome in a smoothie! Not only can you NOT taste them, but they add creamy-ness to the texture; less ice-y and more smooth-y. You should try that! GET THAT PROTEIN!!!

GastonEggs.gif

So! How does one program for a martial arts workout? And since you coach how do you handle the programming for that? I have no idea how one would go about doing this or how you would structure a class. More details? Yeah? Or perhaps a one on one where you kick my butt for the betterment of me? :)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

WEDNESDAY:

(Another day off! This girl is happpppppy! )

Breakfast: Coffee, Smoothie - blueberry, mango, 1 raw egg, protein powder, almond milk, creatine

Snack: Veggie juice with wheat grass and spirulina

Lunch: Smoothie - banana, almond butter, cocoa powder, protein powder, egg whites, coconut almond milk, L-carnitine

Aaaand afternoon coffee :)

Snack: Small smoothie - banana, avocado, unsweetened yogurt, egg whites

Dinner: Smoothie - cranberry, rhubarb, spinach, protein powder, almond milk,

And a cup of veggie juice with greens

Workout 1:

Gym cardio routine - 4X 1 minute rounds of :

jumping forward and back squats

walking planks

sit-ups

burpees - modified

Followed by rounds of core work:

lame attempt at dragon flags

bicycle sit-ups

30 sec plank

Workout 2:

70 min bike ride. I felt SOOOO good outside! There was a storm a-coming so the breeze actually cooled me off. I forgot what that felt like.

Workout 3:

Advanced TKD class. Instructor had us do all of the black belt patterns 1st-3rd degree twice each. (18 patterns)

Then power kicking drills (front kick, turning kick, side kick)

Then we put our gloves on and boxed for several rounds.

Niiiiice and sweaty. Just howz I likes it.

The next 2 days will be tricky because I have to work. Frozen smoothies dont last for a 12 hour shift. I'm going to have to make some that I can put in cups with lids and keep them in the fridge in the break room. I'll just bring a backpack of all my food crap. Haters gone hate.

So! How does one program for a martial arts workout? And since you coach how do you handle the programming for that? I have no idea how one would go about doing this or how you would structure a class. More details? Yeah? Or perhaps a one on one where you kick my butt for the betterment of me? :)

Ooooohhhh, this is easy, my friend. And don't tempt me - I LOVE to instruct.

Mostly, I make it up off the top of my head. Not to sound pretentious, I do this for several reasons: 1) the amount of students that show up is a factor -  you can't do the same things with a big crowd that you do with a small one. 2) the age group that shows up - sometimes there are more kids so you have to deal with the attention spans (or lack thereof) 3) the rank range of the class - sometimes it is only higher ranks and sometimes there are white belts through black belts.

For you I would def do one on one: 1) because we need to battle and 2) you are very detail oriented and thrive on specifics when it comes to technique.

If you are ever in Houston I would love to take you to a class or give you a one on one lesson (may turn into PVP).....

I can open up the Dojung whenever I want so that would make the ball in YOUR court. :joyous:

Nah, it's amazing. The more I study programming, the more convinced I am that it's actually very simple. All it is is setting your schedule and sticking to it. We do it here on Nerd Fitness all the time, we just call it something different. So, really, all I'm doing for other people is what I've been doing for myself this whole time.

Which is to say that you're awesome for figuring that one out so quickly. :)

Nah, it's amazing. The more I study programming, the more convinced I am that it's actually very simple. All it is is setting your schedule and sticking to it. We do it here on Nerd Fitness all the time, we just call it something different. So, really, all I'm doing for other people is what I've been doing for myself this whole time.

Which is to say that you're awesome for figuring that one out so quickly. :)

Yeah, like I was saying earlier, I need to organized my workouts by sets, rounds, or time. Once you start thinking like that it's easy to apply that to another's needs. You have to have a good eye for those needs, though.

Dawwww, thanks Kish - YOU'RE awesome. :)

THURSDAY:

Rest day! No workout. :(  For some reason I thought I needed sleep?

Breakfast: coffee, Smoothie - banana, blueberry, 1 raw egg, protein powder, L-Glutamine

Snack: MOAR COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........

Lunch: Almond milk mixed with chocolate protein powder and an Odwalla Strawberry C-monster juice thingi

Snack: Veggie juice mixed with wheat grass and spirulina

Snack3: Pre-mixed protein shake diluted with non-fat milk. (They are too syrup-y for me to drink straight up)

Dinner: Smoothie - banana, almond butter, cocoa powder, egg whites, protein shake

I put a lot of almond butter in my dinner smoothie because I was worried I didn't reached a sufficient caloric intake for the day.   [Yeahhh....that's why ;) ]

Ehhh, it should be ok since this was a complete rest day. I was fairly busy at work, but never really got my heartrate up.

BTW, I should mention this whole week I have been taking vitamins and supplements just in case I am deficient in any nutrient; namely iron. I tend to be borderline anemic so I make sure I take iron when I don't get enough meat. (I haven't yet come up with a smoothie containing meat that I would actually want to ingest.) [Charissa - your input here would be welcomed :) ]

On my list this week have been:

Iron

fish oil

multivitamin

Cal/Mag

The top 2 I've been taking twice a day, as long as I have a full stomach. I try not to take them in the morning or around when I have coffee because caffeine inhibits the absorbtion of several vitamins (specifically iron, calcium, vit

D, and potassium - and I wouldn't want to just pee out the supplements I've been keeping up with).

Soo, seeing as it's near impossible for me to give up coffee, I just have to be hyper-aware of when I drink and when I take.

Anywho, I've also been chugging along at my water challenge. All these liquids have kept me surprisingly full. Weird.

I'll update for today a bit later :)

FRIDAY:

Pre-work Workout!!! WOOOOO!!!!

Gym

Circut work - 5 rounds of:

25 KB swings (25#)

25 thrusters (15# DB)

1 minute jump rope

25 walking lunges

*between each round I did 10 burpees and 10 push ups

...I dunno, because I felt like adding it

**Edit- They were more like Flurpees. Upper body still so weak!!!

Followed this up with 4 rounds of:

40 yoga ball situps

40 curtsy squats

Gahh, I wanted to do 5 rounds to make a nice round number of 200 each, but I ran out of time. Had to go shower lest they shun me at work. This is one reason why pre-work workouts frustrate me.

Anywho, I felt like I had a surprisingly decent amount of energy which is really weird for 3 reasons:

a) I hadn't had many calories the day before

B) I only had black coffee for breakfast

c) I actually had to get blood taken for my annual check-up so I don't lose my health insurance. Sure, it was only 4 tubes, but that's probably 12-15cc of blood I lost. (And that's why I fasted this morning)

weeeeeird.

285.gif

Soooo....

Had an after workout smoothie (we'll call breakfast) - banana, blueberry, almond butter, 1 raw egg, protein powder, L-glutamine, L-carnitine

Went to work. Drinking all the waterz. (and coffeez)

snack: veggie juice w/ wheat grass + spirulina

Lunch: Protein shake with almond milk and a Strawberry C-monster Odwalla

Snack: Mango Kombucha

I gotta tell you, I was actually really missing meat today. I longed for something hot and savory.

But then I told myself -

Brain: "Self, you only have to do this for 7 days! You have had 29 years so far of eating whatever and hopefully way more to go.....surely you can suck this up for another 2.5 days!"

Stomach:  "No! I don't wanna! I need animal protein and other meaty meat-meat things! Grrrrrr"
Brain: "Oh Gah, where is the self control?? There are other nerds waiting to see what you make of this challenge!"

Stomach: "MEAT!"

Brain: "Bu...."

Stomach: "MEAT!"

Brain: "Will you shut up if I give you some savory broth?"

Stomach: "fine."

And so it was: Stomach got it's wish of some miso-soup broth (which was INDCREDIBLY salty so I didn't even finish it.)

When I get home I intend to have another smoothie then hit the hay. I have to be at the Dojung early in the morning for hardcore workout!! :)

Damn you are strong, girl. I don't handle liquid calories well, they just don't satisfy. I've tried the smoothie thing and it fills me up but 2 hours later I'm looking for more. The chia protein pudding I came up with is my answer to that, and I kinda had to find something to replace eggs for breakfast a few days a week because I was just getting too much by having them everyday. Being Paleo these 3 weeks I find myself missing cheese the most. Luckily next week I am re-introducing it to my diet to see what it does to me. Hopefully nothing much so I can enjoy a little now and then. I miss my cauliflower crust pizzas.

Level 3 Human Monk

STR 8, DEX 4, STA 7, CON 8, WIS 6, CHA 5

Current Challenge

“Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight."

-Johnny Cash

Damn you are strong, girl. I don't handle liquid calories well, they just don't satisfy. I've tried the smoothie thing and it fills me up but 2 hours later I'm looking for more. The chia protein pudding I came up with is my answer to that, and I kinda had to find something to replace eggs for breakfast a few days a week because I was just getting too much by having them everyday. Being Paleo these 3 weeks I find myself missing cheese the most. Luckily next week I am re-introducing it to my diet to see what it does to me. Hopefully nothing much so I can enjoy a little now and then. I miss my cauliflower crust pizzas.

Awww, Thanks!  :redface-new:

Yeah, I definitely have to have some fats in there to feel satiated. THANKS TO YOU, I tried coconut butter today! (I always see you eat a couple of spoonfuls for your daily intake - I didn't even know that stuff existed)  It was so MMMMmmmmmmmmmskdurghfk jahdfgkrhb jhdbg.....'

I mixed frozen banana, frozen blueberries, about a tablespoon of coconut butter, about a tablespoon of unsweetened yogurt, egg whites, and almond milk. Sooooooooooo nommy. 

I also have an entire blender full.....it's not a small cup my any means.

You are doing great with your diet. I think you have more restrictions than I! We can both look forward to next week!!  :triumphant:

:o four tubes of blood?!?

*...faints....*

Get it together, Warrior!

gulliver3.jpg

Oh Shite, how are we going to get him up??

SATURDAYYYYY!!!!       :tickled_pink:

Workout:

Woke up earlie and went to mah Dojung. I met with a close friend who is testing for her 4th Degree in October. So we trained hardcore together for 2 hours. About 75 minutes of patterns and 30 minutes of breaking. The breaking wasn't much of a workout for me; I was mostly helping her with her technique. 

BUT AFTER (This is for you, Kishi)

I did my 2000 punches! BAM!

Like I was saying, I like to be organized about my workouts so this is how I went about it:

10 sets of 10:                                                               # of Punches                                                                                   # of Punches

Right Side Facing                                                                     Left Side Facing

Rt Jab                                                         100                        Lt jab                                                              100          

Rt jab, Lt cross                                            200                       Lt jab, Rt cross                                                200

Rt jab, Lt cross, Rt hook                              300                       Lt jab, Rt cross, Lt hook                                  300

Rt jab, Lt cross, Rt hook, Lt uppercut          400                       Lt jab, Rt cross, Lt hook, Rt uppercut              400

1,000                                                                                             1,000

TOTAL PUNCHES:    2,000              

I don't know which hurt more: my lats, or the stinging sweat in my eye.

After this I had a nice relaxing Saturday. I spent a lot of time with my nephews. We watched Nemo and spoke whale for about an hour afterward. 

I was feeling lazy on my day off so in the evening I decided to go for a run. 

OMIGOODNESS, that was the best run I had in a while!

It was getting dark so it was just me, the path, the street lamps, and my buddies The Gorillaz. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4wkPoVILSQ

This is how it went down.....

I listened to the rhythm of the music and told the earth to embrace to impact of shoes. My breath was steady. My stride was long and deliberate. I saw the moon place my shadow just inches ahead of me: I will not let her beat me. The air is still and I pierce through, disturbing the stagnancy. The confused humidity flustered behind me, trying to refill my wake. I will not slow down. 

Sprinklers in my path cool my skin. This route was made for me. This is my domain. Oh sh*t!  My ipod got wet ! Gahhhhhh....!!!!!!!

Anyway, I ran on at that pace for 4 miles. It felt AWESOME. My hip and my knee were fine. I haven't had a good run like that in a while. I think running in the evening without the direct sunlight helped. 

Stretched and showered, but now I'm still PUMPED. I need to get some sleep tonight because I have to get up super early for work tomorrow. 

Oh, food.

Breakfast: coffee

Snack: premixed protein shake (I was still at my Dojung)

Smoothie: banana, almond butter, cocoa powder, egg whites, protein powder, almond milk,  L-glutamine

Snack: smoothie that I described to Chrissa above

Snack: veggie juice with wheat grass and spirulina, Odwalla strawberry C-monster

Dinner: smoothie - blueberry, rhubarb, spinach, protein powder, yogurt, almond milk, L- glutamine

Only one more day of this quasi-cleanse!!! Then MEAT!!!! :)

So far, I think I've given Todd a run for his vegan money!

(vegan money...?)

Funny, I didn't think you TKD folk believed in handwork. Those are just the swingy things that get in the way of your feet, right? :D

Anyway, that is awesome that you got to get a good run in. I especially like the way you describe it; it felt like I was running along with you. I've been in places like that.

Also, fantastic job on getting the punches done.

Good luck to your friend on her upcoming testing!

2,000 punches? Awesome! Whatever imaginary opponent you were fighting is most likely dead. ;)

I haven't been in an evening run in forever. Did you feel that cool breeze outside? It was great!

Awesome job with your cleanse! ONE MORE DAY!

LEVEL 6: ZOMBIE WARRIOR

STR: 11 | DEX: 10 | STA: 6 | CON: 6 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 6

~ 1st Challenge: HERE!

~ 2nd Challenge: Check it out!

~ 3rd Challenge: Iket721's Warrior Challenge!

~ 4th Challenge: ket721's best-challenge-ever!

~ 5th Challenge: Back to the Basics!

~ 6th Challenge: Can't really think of a clever title challenge!

~ 7th Challenge: ike's consistently consistent challenge

Funny, I didn't think you TKD folk believed in handwork. Those are just the swingy things that get in the way of your feet, right? :D

Anyway, that is awesome that you got to get a good run in. I especially like the way you describe it; it felt like I was running along with you. I've been in places like that.

Also, fantastic job on getting the punches done.

Oh, No No No No No. That's WTF TaeKwon-Do. That's these guys:

WTF_Taekwondo_1.jpg

WHY WOULD YOU FIGHT WITH YOUR HANDS DOWN LIKE THAT?!?!?!?! THEY DONE EVEN WEAR GLOVES!!!!!

And I don't understand why they wear those big chest guards.

No sir, I do the original style, or ITF Taekwon-Do. This is us:

You're right, way less punching typically, but we definitely use our hands. If fact, that's how I broke my arm the World Championships in Canada last year. I wasn't sparring, but I was doing a 4 boards knife hand. (I'm behind the friggin tall Australian master - who kept asking me to dinner, btw ;)  )

That break got me a silver medal for the USA. I couldn't spar at that World Championship because I had just had my knee surgery exactly 1 month before that tournament. (Tore my ACL -Notice the right knee brace under my Do-Bok and the limping away).

Anywho, I was in a cast for 2 months after that. Can you imagine me limping around Canada in a knee brace and arm splint? It was a catastrophe. Buuuuuuuuuut that didn't stop me from seeing Ottawa! :)

Good luck to your friend on her upcoming testing!

2,000 punches? Awesome! Whatever imaginary opponent you were fighting is most likely dead. ;)

I haven't been in an evening run in forever. Did you feel that cool breeze outside? It was great!

Awesome job with your cleanse! ONE MORE DAY!

Dude - DO IT! Go on an evening run! like 8-9pm is awesome!

And thanks, the last day was haaaaaaaard.   :)

Alright-y. Sunday.

Nothing much to report. I had to work all day, so no workout.

I was extremely tired after about 4pm and the rest of the day took

forever.JPG

(Yes, I said it like that.)

Breakfast: coffee, smoothie - blueberry, banana, almond butter, almond milk, protein powder, 1 raw egg

Snack: quad grande soy latte (yes - you read right - QUAD, BABY!!)

Lunch: Veggies juice with wheat grass and spirulina

Protein shake

Snack: Hibiscus Kombucha

Dinner:  smoothie -Banana, almond butter, coconut butter, cocoa powder, yogurt, egg whites, protein powder, almond milk

more veggie juice

So I ended the week of the Vegan Battle! Todd Ingram DEFEATED!!!

tumblr_meoap2uXQM1ractwko1_500.gif

BAMF!!!!!!!!

Half way done!

Okay, moving on to Week 4. This time, my opponent is Roxie Richter.

tumblr_mhctbzaV6q1qb05aco3_250.gif

She has a kind of a "weak spot" on her knee. Nudge, nudge, wink wink. Say-no-more.

In order to defeat her, this week I need to do some serious knee rehab.

1. Everyday I am required to do 200 squats and 100 slow kicks. WHETHER I WORK OR NOT!!!

-The squats can be regular, weighted, or curtsy.

-The slow kicks can vary, but at least 50 each leg.

2. All other workouts have to have major knee strength building components: e.g. - walking or weighted lunges, squat kicks, dead lifts, rowing machine, slow kicks, rowing machine, etc.

3. All diet restrictions will continue (no carbs) and water consumption must be maintained.

Ready-Set-GO!!!!

MONDAY

Workout 1: Kickboxing routine which included squat jumps and squat kicks ~ 60 min

Followed this up with 5 Rounds of:

40 deadlifts (2- 15# DB)

40 cursty squats

40 yoga ball sit ups

40 yoga ball bridge pulses

ZOMG my hammies were on FIRE!!!

All good stuff

Workout 2:  70 min bike ride

Workout 3: Went to TKD school for and hour

Did 4 sets of 25 slow kicks each leg (200 total) with 25 modified pushups between each round.

(I jammed my wrist at work last night, so it hurt to do push-ups/planks right now  :grumpy:   )

Workout 4: Went to advanced TKD class in the evening

Did all gup patterns, step-sparring, and ended with circle self defense techniques.

Sooooo, Im tired now and happy my tummy had meat again today.  :highly_amused:

Very nice, Cheechoe!  You're just nailing this challenge left and right - very inspirational! :) (And I may have to steal one of the many recipes for those smoothies of yours.  Once I remake that cinnamon-almond butter. :P )

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Very nice, Cheechoe!  You're just nailing this challenge left and right - very inspirational! :) (And I may have to steal one of the many recipes for those smoothies of yours.  Once I remake that cinnamon-almond butter. :tongue: )

Thanks, RP! I hope the energy keeps up for the second half!

...And I'm still willing to buy me some o dat homemade yummy-goodness.  (you know, just a tub or two....)

Ah, I see! Sometimes it's harder for me to spot the differences and subtleties between various forms of TKD, so thanks for the education.

Also, you should have broken plates with the Australian dude. Just sayin'.

For your goal this week, have you considered bridges? Even glute bridges can be useful for working strength on the knee without putting a lot of pressure on the joint itself. Also, wall-sits.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines