"Winter is Coming"

Alright. Day one is almost done! I hope House Stark had great one.

1) Goal one - success, I went to the gym, spent 45-60 min there, and broke a good sweat. I could have had a better workout though. I tried a new workout, but it didn't quite get my heart pumping like it should have. However, it may help me with my third goal. Wednesday's workout will be the usual circuit workout so I can burn some calories.

2) Goal two - I'll call it a partial victory. I ate a total of ~2500 calories. Although I usually overestimate to give myself some flexibility, this is not a good start and will be fixed in the future. Part of the problem is that I am waiting for my August paycheck to go grocery shopping. I was not entirely prepared for a day of proper eating. Breakfast was fine, but when I got to work I had no food stashed in the fridge so I went to Subway. I'm not sure on the calorie content of those subs so I estimated (of course, they don't give you all the information at the counter, just calories for a plain 6" sub). I estimated the sub to be about 800, but checking the content online its definitely higher with the cheese and the chipotle sauce. There wasn't nearly enough protein on the sandwich either. Arrgh! I am staying out of there at all costs.

Tomorrow morning I am taking the extra time to gather some good food from home to take to work, at least some frozen veggies and some good protein. I a couple of days I'll pick up a fresh notebook to start keeping track of everything properly as well.

FYI -- I went to IU just like Jared. He ate Subway everyday because he lived in the apartment above it, or at least that's the tale I heard.

3) So I mentioned in this morning's post that I did 18 ( almost 19) pushups without resting. I could make a six week goal of doing (hmm) 40(?).

Here is the workout I did: (the goal for each exercise is 3 sets of 8 for each)

Bench Press 115 lbs. for 2 x 8 + 3 reps

Squat 120 lbs. for 3 x 8 reps

Inverted Row,  for 1 x 4 + 3 x 2 + 1 reps. (on the Smith machine with the bar at the #6 position, about the bottom of my ribcage)

Bicep Curl 45 lbs. for 1 x 8 + 2 x 2 + 1 reps.

Military Press 55 lbs. for 3 x 8 reps

Shrugs 55 lbs. for 3 x 8 reps

The workout I was trying to do had bent over rows (instead of inverted rows) and deadlifts in it. I attempted the form for the bent over rows with just the bar, but it was awkward for me and my back felt a little weak. After that I new I wasn't doing deadlifts yet. I finished the workout with a few core and back exercises:

Inverted Crunches 20 reps (thanks Guillaum for reminding me that these exist this morning)

Teaser/Toe Touches 20 reps

Opposing arm/leg extensions ( not sure what the real name is, but its a nice little back exercise) 10 reps each side

Good Mornings 20 reps.

I think another good six week goal 3 would be to set weight and rep goals for this workout. I'll try it again this Saturday and see where I stand then.

Any suggestions?

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Sorry about the multi posting!  I hit the wrong button and my computer decided to post a bunch.  I'll try and figure out how to delete them.  Anyway!

Day 1 is almost complete for me!!

Workout:

1. Advanced Bodyweight Circuit- 35 mins
  2. Hill Sprints- 20 sec 6 times for a total of 2 mins of sprints

Eating:

1. Breakfast: 1 bacon, 1 hardboiled egg, 1 small bowl of fruit, 4 pieces of sourdough toast
  2. Lunch: kid's burger, french fries, 1 scoop of peanut butter ice cream
  3. Dinner: plat of veggies, half a chicken breast
  4. Snacks: green tea, 1 serving soy milk

Writing:

The flash fiction story for the day is half finished, but the day isn't over quite yet.

Summary:

The workout was good, though it did kick my butt (my body was going "what the freak are we doing??"), and in the future I hope to increase the number of sprints and the decrease the circuit time.  Food wise, I forgot how many calories sourdough toast has, so I probably won't be eating that again.  The burger, ice cream, and fries was my going away meal from my time in the mountains, so I made the meal at lunch a few hours before my workout.  I went right back on track for dinner and tomorrow's food.  And the writing should get easier as the days go on.  I'm used to writing longer pieces, so flash fiction every day is a double challenge for me.

The single step in the journey of a thousand miles is complete.  Now only 41 more days to go!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them" ~Einstein

Half-Elf Ranger, Level 2, Assassin Level 1

Str: 3  Dex: 1  Agi: 3  Con: 3  Wis: 2  Cha: 1

Current Challenge: Targaryen Begins Her Jedi Training Anew

Hi fellow questers!

Okay, so I know I'm a day late starting, but to be fair, I only found out about this (amazing?) website today. After seeing the theme of this group thread and, of course, the inspiration that the mother of dragon always elicits, I thought I'd keep the theme going and be the lone wolf... joining the pack! Hopefully there is room for another in this band of travellers. 

My thread is here: http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/34547-fear-cuts-deeper-than-swords/

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie
first challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34547-fear-cuts-deeper-than-swords/

STR 1.25 DEX 0 STA 3 CON 3 WIS 1.25 CHA 2

I just read through everyone's challenges. I definitely picked the right team. I can see a lot of the fitness challenges I have faced or am facing with all of you.

Eddie keep it up. When I started college I was 330 (or possibly more). The things you're doing now will start to add up.

UnterDennis. I regularly battle with my drinking. I love beer, and brewing, but I'm giving it up for this challenge to make sure I've still got the upper hand on it and I'll definitely drop a few pounds as a result. Also, what type of meditation are you doing? I practice Soto Zen and can give you some pointers and/or talk about the meditation experience with you. It definitely has some subtle but really positive benefits.

I could go on, but I need to sleep and let my muscles re-build.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Prima non datur et ultima dispensatur.

Hi! I'm a Stark too. I realised that we were on a new challenge yesterday afternoon, so I'm starting today. Here is my challenge (it's a work in progress yet because I want to do something achievable) and here is my battle log.

Something about me ... since June I've gained almost 10 kg, a lot of bad habits (lol) and I've lost a bit of self-steem. I think I'm here to change this. Now I have a lot of motivation, so I hope I could end the challenge successfully.

Oh, I must say that I'm from Spain and my English is ... well, you know what is said about us. What I mean is that I'm sorry, but I have not a very fluid English, but I will do my best in order to communicate with you, guys.

I'm reading UnterDennis' topic, 'cause I've problems with breakfast too.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

Targayen:

Good idea! Will add my Day 1 below. Love your workout! Will be adding some sprints to my none BW days once I got used to it and don't feel sore all day long.

Eddie:

Great first day I see! On to #2!

ClockworkTerrier:

good start! Just hang in there and do better tomorrow.

Arrow_w:

Welcome to the group! Like your goals. Especially your motivation!

UnterDennis:

Love your life goal! I'll definitely have to work on that in the future.

Darwins_Demon:

Your workout sounds good to me! Maybe you could put 1 dead lift as your goal and keep working on the form for the next couple of weeks and then add weight.

arya stark:

Welcome to the group! Love your quest!

daggart:

Welcome to the group! Your English sounds fine to me, but I'm German so what do I know...

Day 1

...Is almost over for me.

And I hit all my goals...yay for me!

20 min cardio on the elliptical

Breakfast:

Salmon, cucumber, kohlrabi, kombucha

Lunch:

5 small sausages, spinach

Dinner:

Chicken wings (homemade), carrot sticks

And in the afternoon I spend about 45 min playing in the garden with the kids.

I just finished my Day 2 workout...almost didn't make it down the stairs.

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Hello everyone!

Just joined the group, here's my challenge thread. Going to post weekly summaries there, I'll post daily here though. I just started reading the books, I'm only about half way through Game of Thrones, so no spoilers please!  :playful:  The House of Stark is so perfect for this challenge, we really are stronger together, and winter is indeed coming.

Here's my Day 1 Summary:

Food

Breakfast - Scotch Egg

Lunch - Fasted

Dinner - Popeye's Chicken*

Workout

Beginner Body Weight Workout

1 set, assisted squats and knee push-ups

*I made a lovely pot roast that was supposed to take 5 hours...7 hours later it's 9 p.m. and it's still not done. I didn't have anything else prepared for tonight, so the boyfriend and I decided on fast food. I made it pretty much Paleo though! I had 'naked chicken' and cole slaw, no grains  :redface:

Hobbit Newb

No stats for nubsChallenge 1"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

Kami:

Welcome to the group! I hate it when recipes don't work out like they should. Especially when you didn't prepare a plan B. congrats on the progress you already made.

- Abtacha -

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Hello all! I gave my allegiance to House Stark this afternoon.

I'm starting a graduate program in physics this fall (mid-September), and I'll also be working on a low-residency MFA in poetry, so I'll have very little time for much else. So I have the summer to build good habits and get fit. Absolutely need to look good shirtless on the beach before fall quarter starts! (I'm in California, so you know it's going to happen.) Here's my challenge thread. Wish me luck!

ClockworkTerrier: You got this! (And you are SO going to love that book, and the ones that follow. Don't let it get in the way of your goals though. Seriously, you can't put them down.)

Guillaum: Ned Stark//you//Stannis Baratheon is a good look. Or think of Robert in his prime. All the best!

Targaryen: My life goal is writing too! It's not as ambitious (although I'm a poet, and some might say we're generally less productive!), but I'm trying to write at least an hour every day. I've found it easier to quantify by the amount of time, but that's probably because verse is flakier than prose.

superultrakami: Eeep, long cook times! I made brisket curry the other day and I had to leave it on the stove for six hours before it was done! (I wish I had a slow-cooker!) I'm going to stick to chicken for the most part because it's usually so much quicker to make.

Well, DAY 1 was a SUCCESS! Got my workout on, went walking for an hour, and ate primal. On to Day 2! Keep it going everyone!

Beneath the gold, the bitter steel.

ZonaryTurnip's first challenge: Level 1 Turnip!

Hi everyone,

I'm a little late to the party..even though I had joined the spreadsheet a few days ago. Seems like I wasn't utilizing everything like I should. I'm Sacculina. This is the second challenge I have joined, but should be the first that I complete. I think my previous challenge(s) were a bit too ambitious for my poor body to handle. I ended up giving up after a few days. I want to try and put an end to that, mainly because I have been able to watch my mother and grandmother become immobile for the most part due to weight and I don't want to be that way. I refuse.

The link to my challenge is here: Sacculina's Quest

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

Hi everyone,

To those I had already met, congrats on your first day of chalenge. As far as I can see this is a winning team ! To the new additions, welcome I'll check on your quests as soon as I can.

Repost of my first day:

Day 1: the grocery labyrinth

I realize that my main challenge will be my nutrition quest. I had not understood what it means to eat only fresh foods until I entered the supermarket with that intention, today: it's F*****ing Hard ! everything is somewhat transformed, so I'll have to be not to severe with myself.

Is almonds milks Bad ?

Is peanut butter evil ?

Are flat breads treacherous bitches ?

Perhaps, but they are not my enemy as mutch as frozen pizza is, one fight at a time !

I did the beginner body weight workout in the evening; when I finished I felt extremly fatigued, must means I'm doing something right. And I did my bike ride !

So, still 100%, starting strong.

Upcoming challenges:

Today I'm leaving for a 3 day bike ride, I'v packed only good food and no cigarette. Hopefully, that will make those tree day easier (being on the road, in nature, without temptation). I'll report back when I return, hopefully with astonishing results.

Self motivation quote  :pride:

From now on, every day I wanna be able to say: « Today, is the healthiest and fittest day of my life ».

Level 1 - human adventurer

currently vanquishing the abdominal fat dragon with the help of House Stark

&nbsp;<p>&nbsp;

Guillaum,

Congrats for your efforts, we are many who are fading with our "kitchen" problems. Take it easy. Even if processed foods like almond milk is bad for you, as you said the main problem is pizza and stuff like this. Try to cut them first, and then cutting on other processed foods will be easier.

I saw that you are trying to give up cigarettes too. I quit 35 days ago (last Sunday I lighted one cigarette for a friend, but I didn't smoke it) and I'm not sure if I would like to be a non-smoker (I like smoking with a coffee :numbness: ) but I'm with you. We will face the anxiety together.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

I'm currently reading Alan Car's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It has helped me in the past, and I hope it will help me now. He speaks of something witch I think could be usefull to some of us, especially those of you who try to cut on things such as caffeine or fast food.

I'll try to explain it as best as I can:

The general attitude when fighting an addiction (either physical, like cigarette and coffee or mental, cheese burgers and cookies, or both) is to think that you are making a sacrifice, that you are depriving yourself of something good, something you need. And so you apply all your will power to resisting that tempting cigartte, that greasy pizza.

This attitude is bound to make you fail 100% of the time. Why ? Because each time you make a sacrifice, each time you deprived yourself, you increase the value of the thing you try to stay off of, until you used up all your will power and decide that it is not worth it to stop caffeine or cigarette since it's a torture not to smoke or drink coffee. You are self-brainwashed into thinking that your cigarette or your coffee is good for you, that you cannot live without it. How can you resist your own mental brainwash !

Instead, you got to remind yourself of the reason why you wanted to stop eating this or smoking that and remind yourself that every time you stay off of coffee and cigarette, you reap benefits far greater than what a cigarette or a pepsi could ever provide you ! Not having that cola is better on all acouts than having it because if you resist long enough, the cravings will disappear, and you will have benefits only.

Me, I stop smoking because it is killing me slowly. What is greater ? : the 5 minute pleasure of one cigarette or the pleasure of being healthy all the time ? Easy to answer ! So I don't think of that cigarette as that good relaxing thing I enjoyed after meal etc..., I think of it as that thing that was chaining me to my sofa, that thing that presided over my bad eating habits: when I go a day without it, I'm not depriving myself, i'm not sacrificing anything: I'm freeing myself.

So there you go: my 2 cents about motivation, I hope It may help some of you getting a new outlook about cutting on specific foods or substances, I think it is particularly good against caffeine as it is also a drug.

Daggart - Funny you should mention that, I was just in the process of writing this post. If you're not sure you wanna be a non-smoker I suggest you read Alan Car's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. I know how self-help book soud: cheesy. But you should really give this one a try.

I'll say that: You think you like a cigarette with your coffee, but you don't, you brain washed yourself into thinking that. What you like is the stopping of the nicotine withdraw. The only other way to feel that is to go 5 days without cigarette. This is the base thesis on Alan Carr's book. Perhaps It helps you, perhaps not... But in any case, yes, let's face this together !

Level 1 - human adventurer

currently vanquishing the abdominal fat dragon with the help of House Stark

&nbsp;<p>&nbsp;

Good Morning to the North.

I can definitely feel yesterday's workout in my back, shoulders and legs. Today's a rest day so I'm gonna take it easy and focus on getting good healthy food to build up that muscle and keep my metabolism high.

I just ate for breakfast:

2 oz. (dry) steel-cut oats (w/ tsp butter and a dusting of sugar and cinnamon) ~ 250 cal.  ~5g protein

1 medium sized grapefruit 104 cal. 1 g protein

1 whey protein shake 95 cal. 22 g protein

total: 449 cal. 28 g protein

ClockworkTerrier: I know how it is with the caffeine. I have been tapering down over the last couple years. I'm at least not drinking nearly a pot a day any more (except for an occassional crazy day), but on most days I've got it down to one or two cups in the morning. Maybe a cup of tea in the afternoon. Hang in there.

Daggart and Guillaum: I quit smoking a few years ago. You definitely are freeing yourselves. A really good motivator for me was noticing how much less often I was out of breath during a workout or just climbing some stairs. If you feel like you need one, just take a deep breath and remind yourself how much cleaner that breath feels.

Targaryen: Awesome workout. I've only done the beginners BW workout, at most with some weights added, and at no point when I finished was I ever thinking "Sprints would be a good idea right now." Keep it up.

Arya: Of course Arya just dives right in. Bold move. Props.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Hi, everyone,

I just saw the ASOIAF-themed group and knew I had to join! Loved seeing all of your quests -- ambitious, but you all are young, you can do it. As for me, I'm just trying to replace a few of the bad habits I've picked up over the years with good ones that will get me into the best shape of my life - hopefully it's not too late to do so (I turn over a decade in December, one that by some counts qualifies as middle-aged, even though I don't feel that far out from my college years). I'm putting in a link to my challenge in my signature, read all about it if you want to, and look forward to the challenge!

Hey UnterDennis! Don't worry about age -- you're only as old as you choose to be. My friends/family from my martial arts studio range from 20-45. We CrossFit together, parkour together, do kung fu together, and are running our first Tough Mudder in September. You can be in the best shape of your life at any age! Don't let it hold you back. :)

Multiclassed Knife Dancer [Warrior Monk Range-sassin and Druid-in-training]

"Tiny, but FIERCE!" -The Dresden Files

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Challenges: 1 | 2 3 | 4 

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Say hi IRL: Instagram Facebook NF Profile

Sorry, I'm running a little behind! Work has picked up and I don't like to be on the computer at home -- 9 hours during the day is enough! So here's my belated intro:

I'm Snowfox (twitter: @snowfoxbandit, if any of you want to connect that way!). I've been reading NF for a year and a half but am new to the forums! I'm happy with my weight but not with my body composition or my strength -- I want to be leaner and stronger, and eventually narrow my focus on adding some more muscle mass.

Since I was the asthmatic bookworm growing up, I have no athletic background, and I think the biggest thing holding me back right now is my mind. I just don't believe that I can personally do anything physical! I hate running and the weight machines at the gym in college weren't exciting in the least.

In the past year or two I've started doing crossfit out of my garage, which has done wonders for my strength and confidence, but I'm still not over my mental hurdles (and I can't do a pull up, though I'm so close!). I also do a little kung fu and parkour (which is good, since I am terrified of falling) and am hoping to sign up for krav maga classes by fall, pending more financial security. :) (I'm a recent college grad, so money's tight.)

Really psyched to be here with all of you! I LOVE aSoIaF and the GoT show on HBO, as well as just about everything else nerdy. One of my kung fu/crossfit friends has a huge white German Shepherd -- like Ghost. :)

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Day one! The toughest and most important part of the journey is taking the first step. So my family went on a walk this evening. Okay it was in flat suburbia but still I was out and moving. I had a mostly paleo day, so yeah me! Not completely paleo but still a good start. And I already screwed up my last goal, two glasses on Mtn. Dew. 

The exercise and eating paleo at the moment I feel confident with. The caffeine is gonna be really hard. Probably about 80% of my liquid intake is either Mtn. Dew or coffee... gods please help me.

But for day one I consider this a good start. I'm gonna work on some art then head to bed and see what tomorrow and day two brings.

Hi Clockwork Terrier! Have you thought of trying to add some green tea with honey in as a substitute for one of your other caffeinated beverages? That way you're still getting a boost, but it's much better for you (and the honey will help if you're not a big tea fan)! Good luck! :)

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Hey House Stark!

I'm a bit late to the fight but hopefully thats all right with all of you.  Been a long time lurker and reader of the blog but this is my first challenge.  Today is my first real day, posted my thread last night, went for a run this morning like I said and gonna do my workout pretty soon here.  I hope your workouts and challenges are all going well!  Great job linking everyone's challenge on the first page Guillaume, I was wondering how i'd be able to keep track of everyone else. 

I hope to be able to contribute and that you all don't mind me being a little late!

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/34418-joes-fresh-start/

Theres a link to my challenge thread.  

Gonna go do my workout!  

Congrats to all those who had a great first and second day!

UnterDennis. I regularly battle with my drinking. I love beer, and brewing, but I'm giving it up for this challenge to make sure I've still got the upper hand on it and I'll definitely drop a few pounds as a result. Also, what type of meditation are you doing? I practice Soto Zen and can give you some pointers and/or talk about the meditation experience with you. It definitely has some subtle but really positive benefits.

DD: Thanks for reaching out, it seems we may have a lot in common. I figured I could probably cut out drinking entirely for this challenge, but then it would probably be like a Lent thing (I'm not Catholic, but you get the idea) where I would just stop for a while and then go back to it as much as ever. I thought for me a better way would to be just to gradually ratchet it down over the course of a few challenges so it's more of a long-term lifestyle change that will stick.

As far as meditation, what I tried for the last challenge was probably pretty much Soto style, from what I could gather over the Interwebs. I would basically just go into a corner, facing a blank wall and sitting on my jury-rigged zafu and zabuton (a couple of couch cushions and a snuggy). I would try and count my breaths, starting over whenever a thought or earworm would creep in (I'm a musician, so the earworms are pretty bad sometimes). I would rarely get past 3 breaths, usually just one or two, and most of the time it just felt like I was sitting and thinking, which is not really the point. So, was I doing something wrong, or was it just a matter of not being at it long enough? I think for the next challenge I might make a few changes: 1. Invest in proper meditation cushions so it's more comfortable, 2. Do it after my shower rather than first thing after waking up (especially after a late night it felt like half the time I was just trying to not nod off). I read somewhere that first thing in the morning was best because that's when the mind is the least cluttered, but I didn't find that to be the case - my mind would still be racing from whatever I had been thinking about the night before, and 3. Look into joining a zen Buddhist group/congregation in town to see if they'd be able to help and keep me honest.

Do you have any thoughts about any of that? I would definitely like to hear about your experiences, or any other pointers, to apply to my next challenge when I think I'll try again.

Level 2 Dúnedan Assassin

STR 3 DEX 1 STA 2 CON 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

Previous challenges: 0.5 1

Current Challenge: 2

Hi Clockwork Terrier! Have you thought of trying to add some green tea with honey in as a substitute for one of your other caffeinated beverages? That way you're still getting a boost, but it's much better for you (and the honey will help if you're not a big tea fan)! Good luck! :)

I actually love tea but don't usually don't have the time and coffee is already made when I get to the office, but I'm gonna try and make an effort to get up earlier to make some.

Almond milk (and nut milk in general) is SUPER good for you, but buying it at a store is considered bad since it is so processed. 

Solution: Make your own! It is crazy easy, and pretty cheap! I am allergic to milk (and almonds) but I make cashew milk all the time and it is delicious! Here is a great recipe for almond milk:

Here’s what it takes to make nut milk:

Almonds

Water

Sweetener/flavorings if desired

A blender (regular or high speed)

Yes. That’s it. And there’s barely any recipe to remember — only a ratio. It takes one cup of nuts to four parts water to make a batch of nutmilk. To this, you add the seasonings you like: for plain nutmilk, add a dash of salt, no more. For vanilla almond milk add a few dates and a teaspoon of vanilla. And so on. I usually use cashews, as I said, but almonds are super healthy and most people can eat em, so here's a recipe:

Vanilla Almond Milk (yields 2-3 cups or so)

1 cup almonds, soaked 8-12 hours beforehand if it’s possible
4 cups water
6 dates or 1/4 cup agave
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or the contents of a vanilla bean)

Procedure:

Begin by soaking your nuts in some water, if you can. Eight hours is ideal, but an hour is fine if that’s what you’ve got!

Next, rinse off your almonds and discard the soak water. Add the almonds and the other ingredients (water, dates, vanilla) to a regular blender or a VitaMix. Blend them on high speed:

Let it go for a minute or so.

At this point, you can serve the nut milk exactly as is — you’ll simply have to give it a good shake before pouring!

If you prefer a smooth texture, though, you’ll want to give it a strain. To do this, you’ll need a large container, and some cheesecloth. Or if you plan to make nut milk on a regular basis, go ahead and invest in a nut milk bag!

To use, simply place the the nut milk bag or cheesecloth over the mouth of your container, leaving a generous overhang and allowing the strainer to droop about halfway down into the container. Hold in place w a rubber band.

Next, pour all the almond milk into the container, so that it drips through the cheesecloth/bag and into the container below. Then leave it alone for an hour or two and BAM! All the 'milk' will be strained and you are good to go, raw, delicious 'milk' :)

Also, when quitting soda I would grab Kombucha as a substitute: it is fermented, so I don't know how everyone feels about that, but it has lots of super healthy gut flora and is delicious and fizzy, and helps you to forget your longing for horrible cola :)

Day 2

10min elliptical

Beginners BW workout 3 sets of ten

Breakfast:

Zucchini squash, 5 small sausages

Lunch:

Sardines, Kohlrabi, cucumber

Dinner:

Beef liver, zucchini squash, spinach, kombucha

Went for a walk with the kids this morning.

My legs hurt like hell. Walking down the stairs is like walking on eggs because my legs start shivering so bad. I hope this gets better before my next workout or I will be even worse on the second workout than I was on the first. If it doesn't hurt it doesn't help, I guess.

Hope your days are going as planned so far! Keep going!

Welcome to all the new members of HOUSE STARK! This group is really growing strong. Well, we need everyone we can get since winter is coming.

- Abtacha -

- Saint Ausgustine -

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines