"Winter is Coming"

Guillaum, more or less. Currently, my problem is that I think on smoking as I think about cheat meals: if I don't smoke the rest of the week, why couldn't I smoke one cigarette two or three afternoons? That's what makes me crazy. And I've been more than a month without smoking, I don't miss it physically, but I don't think I could be without smoking the rest of my life, I think that soon or later I will stablish the same relationship that I have with alcohol (2-3 beers per week) or sweets (1-2 sweets on birthdays). But, anyway, at the moment I will stay off.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

UnterDennis:

I don't meditate myself. I pray in the evening when I lie in bed. This is pretty repetitive so at some point I don't think anymore but I'm still awake. Kind of hard to describe!

So since trying to not think isn't helping maybe you could think the same thing every evening or morning whatever works for you. Doesn't have to be a prayer, maybe a poem or I guess even a song text. While your brain is thinking something over and over again it kind of goes into auto drive like when a song is stuck in your head.

You could also listen to the health and comedy show episode 10 interview with Eva Twardokens. They had some interesting things about meditating on there. I think it was about halfway in.

- Abtacha -

Challenges: #1, #2, #3, #4

"Conquer yourself and the world lies at your feet."

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever, and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

- Saint Ausgustine -

Oh, I forgot. The second day log:

I have to choose a healthy habbit, and I've thought on post-workout snack, but I'm doing a research in order to calculate the macronutrients I need (based on my weight, etc).

breakfast (6:00 a.m.) ~ 380 Kcal

coffee (120 ml) + milk 1,5% fat (100 ml)

cherries (100 g)

2 hard-boiled eggs

15 almonds

[strength workout (8:45 a.m.)]

squats - 51 kg - 5x5

bench press - 31 kg - 3x3

barbell row - 27 kg - 5x5

[bodycombat (9:30 a.m.)]

post-workout (12:15 p.m.) ~ 250 Kcal

black damned coffee (no sugar, no adds)

2 plums

1 sardines can + 1/2 tomatoe (100 g)

turkey breast (slices) (50 g)

I'm still hungry.

lunch (3:00 p.m.) ~ 560 Kcal

stir-fried veggies {mushrooms (50 g) + tomatoe (160 g) + onion (40 g) + carrot (50 g) + green pepper (40 g) + 1 egg}

pineapple (250 g)

endive + 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds + olive oil

black coffee (120 g) + milk 1,5% fat (100 g)

afternoon snack (6:00 p.m.) ~ 365 Kcal

1 cucumber (160 g) + 1 tuna can (60 g)

1 apple (130 g)

15 almonds

[bodypump (7:00 p.m.)]

legs (1st) 20 kg

legs (2nd) 7,5 kg

bench 10 kg

back 12,5 kg

biceps 7,5 kg

triceps 4 kg (dumbells)

shoulder 3 kg (dumbells)

dinner (8:30 p.m.) ~ 260 Kcal

mix vegetables (corn, beans, pepper, onion) (200 g)

cauliflower (200 g)

1 peach (100 g)

I'm fucking hungry.

So I eat a non-fat yogurt + another peach.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Room for another late-comer? We just bought a house and have had relatives here all week helping us move so I missed the first day. I've been following NF and working out for about a month. Here's a link to my challenge.

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/34741-elastoman-competes-with-himself/

A bit about me: I'm 32 and work part time receiving produce deliveries at our food co-op (lot's of lifting and moving boxes). I also work on a couple veggie farms during the growing season here in Madison, WI. Eat pretty cleanly, but have always been a carb addict. Been cleaning up my diet over the past month but this week with family visiting was not so great. Excited to get back on track. Bad joints are my primary impediment to working out; I'm currently nursing a strained knee suffered while doing bodyweight squats last week. Oh and I love GoT and ASoIaF. Will check back in later to read everyone's challenges. Let's do this!

• Lvl 1 Wood Elf Ranger
  • Male, Age: 32
  • STR 2 - DEX 3 - STA 2 - CON 2 - WIS 2 - CHA 3 
  • 1st Challenge
  • "The Dude abides."

DD: Thanks for reaching out, it seems we may have a lot in common. I figured I could probably cut out drinking entirely for this challenge, but then it would probably be like a Lent thing (I'm not Catholic, but you get the idea) where I would just stop for a while and then go back to it as much as ever. I thought for me a better way would to be just to gradually ratchet it down over the course of a few challenges so it's more of a long-term lifestyle change that will stick.

As far as meditation, what I tried for the last challenge was probably pretty much Soto style, from what I could gather over the Interwebs. I would basically just go into a corner, facing a blank wall and sitting on my jury-rigged zafu and zabuton (a couple of couch cushions and a snuggy). I would try and count my breaths, starting over whenever a thought or earworm would creep in (I'm a musician, so the earworms are pretty bad sometimes). I would rarely get past 3 breaths, usually just one or two, and most of the time it just felt like I was sitting and thinking, which is not really the point. So, was I doing something wrong, or was it just a matter of not being at it long enough? I think for the next challenge I might make a few changes: 1. Invest in proper meditation cushions so it's more comfortable, 2. Do it after my shower rather than first thing after waking up (especially after a late night it felt like half the time I was just trying to not nod off). I read somewhere that first thing in the morning was best because that's when the mind is the least cluttered, but I didn't find that to be the case - my mind would still be racing from whatever I had been thinking about the night before, and 3. Look into joining a zen Buddhist group/congregation in town to see if they'd be able to help and keep me honest.

Do you have any thoughts about any of that? I would definitely like to hear about your experiences, or any other pointers, to apply to my next challenge when I think I'll try again.

My intent for giving up drinking for six weeks is definitely not to give it up for good. Lately, and over the years off and on, I start to have increasing trouble with moderation. Giving it up altogether can be rather easy. The hard part for me is having two, but not ten. I think for my next challenge, I might actually do something like, two drinks on Friday evening, and that's it. I guess I'm going to ratchet up to the level I want to be at instead.

For meditation...

I remember when I started my first zafu was a pillow case with old T-shirts stuffed in it. No zabuton. I just sat on a carpetted floor. Also, it never really gets comfortable, you get used to the routine, and maybe over time your legs get a little more flexible so that you can sit stably, but even after five-six years (sometimes off and on) my legs will still fall asleep if I go past twenty minutes. The important thing is to get the posture right, and sit in a stable position. Counting your breaths is okay. I usually just concentrate on the sensation of breathing, follow the breath, as they say.

Meditation is a skill. There is a reason they call it practice and consistency is better than forced effort. All those things that don't seem like Zen, thinking too much, song stuck in your head, thinking about work... everyone on the cushion deals with it, even old Zen masters. But with experience, those things start to fade into the background and your thoughts, emotions, worries, etc. become more like a flow. You're less likely to get stuck on something and when you're away from it you're away from it. You'll probably notice with practice that your emotions are just as intense, sometimes moreso, but they fade faster.

To respond to your points/questions:

1. Zafus and Zabutons make sitting easier, but practice will still be just as hard. The main thing they do is create a space for you to practice in which is a good thing. Of course you can do this with your improvised zafu anyway. Maybe if you keep to your practice, you can reward yourself with a Z&Z.

2. One of my favorite sayings from Shunryu Suzuki, one of the leading zen roshis who brought Zen to the West, is that when practice is difficult that is when you should practice most. He also emphasizes consistency in his book. For time of day, pick a time that you can do everyday and stick with it. No matter what time you pick it will be hard sometimes, and easy others. Just stick to it.

3. Yes. If you can find a Sangha nearby I'd recommend going. The most important thing in practice is sitting daily. But a Sangha is great for getting initial instruction and for when you need to recharge, share the experience, or at any point you decide to get really serious about it and do a retreat or Sesshin. This reminds me I should pay a visit to my own Sangha soon. All the Zen folk I've known so far are really nice, well-balanced, and grounded people. Don't be intimidated by them.

Some books I'd recommend:

Love&Work by Charlotte Joko Beck - great, practical guide to soto zen for beginners

Zen Mind, Beginner Mind by Shunryu Suzuki - my go to book, but it might take a liitle bit of practice before really appreciating it

I usually hate to be evangelical, but I do love talking Zen. I'll get down from the pulpit now.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

UnterDennis:

I don't meditate myself. I pray in the evening when I lie in bed. This is pretty repetitive so at some point I don't think anymore but I'm still awake. Kind of hard to describe!

So since trying to not think isn't helping maybe you could think the same thing every evening or morning whatever works for you. Doesn't have to be a prayer, maybe a poem or I guess even a song text. While your brain is thinking something over and over again it kind of goes into auto drive like when a song is stuck in your head.

You could also listen to the health and comedy show episode 10 interview with Eva Twardokens. They had some interesting things about meditating on there. I think it was about halfway in.

That's a good alternative. Many other schools of Buddhism pray, or chant mantra. Rinzai zen has its famous koans: questions like "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" etc. Another strategy is to meditate on any saying in order to hone your intentions.

We might all benefit form meditating on our motivations for getting through the six week challenge.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

Oh! Finally I saw this while reading the news at lunch today. Thought it might be of some inspiration to House Stark.

8 Habits Of Insanely Fit People - http://huff.to/1c9VNS4

Alright, I'll stop bothering everyone today. I type too much.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

So today I was fussed out by a "fitness" guru who said that walking 1.5 miles in the morning was a craptastic goal. Now, this person is looking at me and can see that I'm a little irked by his random comment (as well as that I'm not in shape). I try to explain to him that this is a challenge to get me moving and in the habit of waking up and exercising. I hope that I might be jogging/running by the end of the six weeks, but he thinks that I should start with trying to run my first 5K! I don't know. Did I choose a too simple goal? Maybe I did the exact opposite of what I did last time I tried a challenge (I made it too amitious last time). Sigh.

Also, bee sting still kind of hurts to the touch. Stupid bee :( I'll start double posting my challenge here starting tomorrow.

Have a good evening!

One of the greatest discoveries man makes, one of the greatest surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do. -- Henry Ford

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Battle Chronicles of Sacculina

Sacculina's Wordpress

So today I was fussed out by a "fitness" guru who said that walking 1.5 miles in the morning was a craptastic goal. Now, this person is looking at me and can see that I'm a little irked by his random comment (as well as that I'm not in shape). I try to explain to him that this is a challenge to get me moving and in the habit of waking up and exercising. I hope that I might be jogging/running by the end of the six weeks, but he thinks that I should start with trying to run my first 5K! I don't know. Did I choose a too simple goal? Maybe I did the exact opposite of what I did last time I tried a challenge (I made it too amitious last time). Sigh.

Also, bee sting still kind of hurts to the touch. Stupid bee :( I'll start double posting my challenge here starting tomorrow.

Have a good evening!

To hell with that "fitness guru"! As long as its challenging to you now, its worth doing. If it was too easy you'll know soon enough because it will get accomplished and you can step it up next time around.

Don't stress about it. He may have been trying to help motivate you even, although in a negative awkward douchy football coach kind of way. Do your 1.5 mile walk, then do 2 if you feel up to it. Maybe the goals will be easier than you thought and you'll be running a 5k in no time.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Have a good evening!

No way! Walking 1.5 miles is an awesome goal! Killing yourself by jumping into a 5k could just demoralize you. I think slowly ramping it up is a smart approach (that's what I have to do!).

To hell with that "fitness guru"! As long as its challenging to you now, its worth doing. If it was too easy you'll know soon enough because it will get accomplished and you can step it up next time around.

Don't stress about it. He may have been trying to help motivate you even, although in a negative awkward douchy football coach kind of way. Do your 1.5 mile walk, then do 2 if you feel up to it. Maybe the goals will be easier than you thought and you'll be running a 5k in no time.

I totally agree with this! As soon as 1.5 is too easy, do 2 the next week, then 3 the next week, then jog every few minutes, etc.

Don't let anyone bully you into working out how they think you should! You do what feels right to you, just because it works for them doesn't mean that's how it works for everyone.

Hobbit Newb

No stats for nubsChallenge 1"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

Sacculina: Dont worry about what that guy says...go at your own pace. You know your body better than anyone. Keep at it!

Abtacha: My legs are killing me today too. Leg days always make me feel good and bad. I hate the hurt but love the reminders of how hard I worked

Arro_w: I have a weekend project now! Im totally going to try and make some almond milk

Elastoman: Welcome!

D_D: read the article...very interesting # 3 is always the hardest for me.

Day two, repost. I am really inspired by everyone's hard work so far, even two days in you are all so serious and awesome!

Second Day roundup:

-Woke up super late cause I stayed up horribly late on emergency graphic design work....oh ridiculous people! HIRE ME FULL TIME. 

AHEM! Anywho...

I still ate breakfast this morning though, protein rich! So goal #1 CHECK.

I went on a 3 mile walk with friends, which was great. Goal #2 CHECK.

And last but NOT least, I went to boot camp and did not throw up, so Goal #3 CHECK CHECK CHECK! 

In between of course I had some Indian Dal for lunch, and for dinner roast chicken and veggies.

AND I had some freelance work so I got moneys, so going toward life goal CHECK :)

I got so caught up keeping tabs on House Stark that I forgot to post today's stats.

Goal1: Exercise three times a week. No exercise today, its a resting day. Tomorrow I'm gonna do my usual circuit (the BBWC but with some weights), then maybe practice my dead lift and bent over row form, and some brief work on the core to keep it in shape.

Goal2: Healthy eating, I entered my intake into MyFitnessPal ( thanks to Blue Kiwi and Perrin_Aybara for getting me informed), a really useful and easy food and exercise diary, and I downloaded the app so I can keep tabs on the go. Here is the output:

Calories; Carbs; Fat; Protein; Sodium; Sugar

Totals 2,152;    249;    66;   143;      2,994;     79   

I'm a little on the low end today for calories. I overshot yesterday so I'm okay with that. Its still in the range I set for my self. I definitely got my protein in, wow! Carbs and fat are low, that's good. Sugar and sodium need to come down. In the future I'll swap out a processed/canned food for something fresh and that should take care of it.

Goal 3: Figure out goal three. This weekend I'll retry yesterday's workout, see if my weight/reps improve, and maybe set a solid fitness goal for that workout routine.

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge

Day two! So I didn't get much exercise today, other than laps from my desk to the printer a bunch. For breakfast I had Irish Breakfast Tea, lunch I had part of a steak and carrots, and dinner I had a side salad. I might have killed all this by having a couple drinks but I still feel like I did a good job. I didn't have any coffee or soda today!!! And I'm acting like a normal human being!

But yeah I'm feeling good about this. I feel if I can continue this into next week I'll have done really good.

(Edit: spelling. Typing on my phone is actually quite difficult).

Day 2 update:

Goal 1: 20/20/420. Three eggs, three bacon strips, AGAIN. Condo is reeking of bacon at 5 pm. The last of it gets used up tomorrow, and family is shopping tomorrow morning while I work - I'm giving them a shopping list of lots of vegetables that will go well in an omelet (plus more eggs). The plan is to pre-sauté them tomorrow night and have things ready to go for the next few days.

Goal 2: 10/10/60. Picked up mother-in-law from airport this evening and she immediately suggested my wife and I go out for a bit. Had 2 beers for a weekly total of 2.

Goal 3: 0/18. The evening outing pushed the workout to tomorrow morning - I'll have to set an alarm, but hopefully I'll manage.

Side quest: 6/6/? Still doing fine with this, but it makes it harder to keep up with my NerdFitness forum - if I've neglected to respond to your many supportive posts, and give you all some of my own, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Level 2 Dúnedan Assassin

STR 3 DEX 1 STA 2 CON 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

Previous challenges: 0.5 1

Current Challenge: 2

Hey folks! I thought I'd check in for the day...

So I'll call today a success, even though I meant to wake up early and exercise, I can push it till tomorrow instead. Anyhow, the clean eating went really well, especially considering this week work is crazy for me. For breakfast I had a banana-berry smoothie with hemp protein powder, for lunch some kale coconut milk soup/stew on rice, for supper a cabbage/wild rice/tofu stir fry, and for... snack? second supper? I had a salad with some falafel because I was still hungry (although that may have just been fatigue setting in). Anyhow, I've got the alarm set for early tomorrow morning so I'll have time to make up my run from today (though, I did fit in about a 1/2 hour bike to work, but I typically do so it's not really part of my mission).

I love all the great topics that have come up thus far! Darwins_Demon & UnterDennis - I empathize with you about the drinking issue... I've recently starting brewing from grain and I find it really fun and rewarding... but it also sustains my (not great) habit of drinking 2 or 3 beers most nights of the week... those are definitely calories I don't need! Anyhow, I'll try cut it back to only two nights a week or so, but I have holidays coming up so I'm really going to be challenged in that! Arro_w - great recipe for almond/cashew milk! I totally agree with the kombucha tip to ween yourself off pop... who doesn't need more intestinal flora?! Maybe I'll try sub in kombucha for some other beverages I typically have. Anyways, keep up the great work everyone!

Level 0 Wood Elf Newbie
first challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34547-fear-cuts-deeper-than-swords/

STR 1.25 DEX 0 STA 3 CON 3 WIS 1.25 CHA 2

My intent for giving up drinking for six weeks is definitely not to give it up for good. Lately, and over the years off and on, I start to have increasing trouble with moderation. Giving it up altogether can be rather easy. The hard part for me is having two, but not ten. I think for my next challenge, I might actually do something like, two drinks on Friday evening, and that's it. I guess I'm going to ratchet up to the level I want to be at instead.

For meditation...

I remember when I started my first zafu was a pillow case with old T-shirts stuffed in it. No zabuton. I just sat on a carpetted floor. Also, it never really gets comfortable, you get used to the routine, and maybe over time your legs get a little more flexible so that you can sit stably, but even after five-six years (sometimes off and on) my legs will still fall asleep if I go past twenty minutes. The important thing is to get the posture right, and sit in a stable position. Counting your breaths is okay. I usually just concentrate on the sensation of breathing, follow the breath, as they say.

Meditation is a skill. There is a reason they call it practice and consistency is better than forced effort. All those things that don't seem like Zen, thinking too much, song stuck in your head, thinking about work... everyone on the cushion deals with it, even old Zen masters. But with experience, those things start to fade into the background and your thoughts, emotions, worries, etc. become more like a flow. You're less likely to get stuck on something and when you're away from it you're away from it. You'll probably notice with practice that your emotions are just as intense, sometimes moreso, but they fade faster.

1. Zafus and Zabutons make sitting easier, but practice will still be just as hard. The main thing they do is create a space for you to practice in which is a good thing. Of course you can do this with your improvised zafu anyway. Maybe if you keep to your practice, you can reward yourself with a Z&Z.

2. One of my favorite sayings from Shunryu Suzuki, one of the leading zen roshis who brought Zen to the West, is that when practice is difficult that is when you should practice most. He also emphasizes consistency in his book. For time of day, pick a time that you can do everyday and stick with it. No matter what time you pick it will be hard sometimes, and easy others. Just stick to it.

3. Yes. If you can find a Sangha nearby I'd recommend going. The most important thing in practice is sitting daily. But a Sangha is great for getting initial instruction and for when you need to recharge, share the experience, or at any point you decide to get really serious about it and do a retreat or Sesshin. This reminds me I should pay a visit to my own Sangha soon. All the Zen folk I've known so far are really nice, well-balanced, and grounded people. Don't be intimidated by them.

Love&Work by Charlotte Joko Beck - great, practical guide to soto zen for beginners

Zen Mind, Beginner Mind by Shunryu Suzuki - my go to book, but it might take a liitle bit of practice before really appreciating it

I usually hate to be evangelical, but I do love talking Zen. I'll get down from the pulpit now.

Re: drinking: yeah, I also don't want to give it up entirely. It just wouldn't have occurred to me to try and give it up temporarily and then slowly ratchet back up. I do notice that if one imagines a willpower status bar, for me there's a lot less expenditure involved in deciding that the evening is not going to be a drinking night as opposed to deciding to just stop at one or two (I'll usually rationalize and justify having a third once I've started). For me the habit has mostly been to feel satisfied at 3, but sometimes if out with friends or over an extended period I'll sometimes go over that (but not for this challenge, So Say We All!). So, you may be on to something, and if I find this to be a big struggle I may give your method a go.

Thanks for the thoughts on zen and meditation - it all makes a lot of sense, and is inspiring me to want to get back to it. Personally I'm at a place where I've become quite skeptical about organized religion, which is part of why the zen variant of buddhist practice in particular is so appealing to me - the rigor combined with no external things to believe in or think about seem a good fit at this point. I will check out the books you recommended, it seems everyone I hear from raves about the Suzuki one.

Level 2 Dúnedan Assassin

STR 3 DEX 1 STA 2 CON 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

Previous challenges: 0.5 1

Current Challenge: 2

Day 2 Summary

Starting to hit my diet wall, I've never stuck with a diet past 3 days. The carb cravings are so intense  :grumpy:

Food:

Breakfast - another scotch egg, this time with organic ketchup, yum

Lunch - fasting

Dinner - My pot roast! (finally) with some garlic cauliflower mash

Desert - A mango, so ripe and juicy!

Exercise:

I didn't feel like leaving the house today so I busted out my stationary bike pedals and did that for an hour while playing animal crossing  :redface:

Does anyone else eating Paleo get cravings for carbs? How do you deal with them?

Hobbit Newb

No stats for nubsChallenge 1"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

I must say that yesterday, before going to sleep, I felt very anxious and I finally ate some cheese, two more yogurts, a glass of milk and nuts. I usually have this problem at nights and it's something I would like to solve before the end of the challenge.

For meditation...

One of my goals is to be more mindfulness. I think I'm going to focus in be aware of every meal I take and every bite of food, but I had been thinking on meditation too. I have the same problem as many people, I lose my mind and then I discover myself thinking on whatever that happened to me that day. I go to the beach every afternoon and I usually sit looking at the sea, but I can't call it "meditation" yet, maybe for the next challenge.

Does anyone else eating Paleo get cravings for carbs? How do you deal with them?

Me, and I don't deal with them: I canalize them on other food (at least now). I've read that the carbs cravings appears only during the first week. I'm on my second non-wheat day (not straight paleo, I drink milk and eat cheese, yogurts ... dairy in general), in which one are you?

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Sorry guys, I'm late showing up.  I got through everyone's threads yesterday and discovered I can't post from my Kindle.  :(  I made notes though but it may take me awhile to catch up.

A little bit about me:  I'm 45, married for almost 25 years, have 2 children and 2 grandchildren (one born last week and one almost 3).  I've read a ton of articles on this site and attempted a challenge last year.  I fizzled out after a couple of weeks.  Oh yeah, I have one confession to make.  I had no clue what "House Stark" was but liked Eddie's thread so thought I'd join the group.  The good news is I was looking for something to read for fun and a guy at work is bringing me the first book.  Hopefully, that's ok and you won't kick me out.  ;)

Today's my official first day so here's my workout (Hopefully someone can help me link my thread.  I can't figure out how..lol).

10 squats

10 push ups (I'm doing modified ones on my knees - hoping to be able to do "real" ones by the end of the challenge)

10 lunges (5 each side - they're getting easier so I may bump it up next week)

15 sec. plank

30 jumping jacks

10 pull ups (I'm doing a modified version using my table)

15 sec hollow body

15 sec Superman

5 sec wrist stretches (I'd love to start handstand work but my left wrist is really tight.  I'm hoping these stretches will help and I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone has).

Have a great day!

Welcome home, Jacqui. Do you have a personal topic to follow your progress?

By the way, I've been thinking that we could have all our challenge topics in one post. Maybe it could be easier follow all of them.

battle log | epic quest

MEMENTO MORI

Wow!  This topic has been booming yesterday!  I was trying to keep up with the reading on my phone, but wasn't able to post due to travel (15 hours of traveling yesterday).  Instead of posting here I finished a short story to complete the life challenge.  So here is my summary:

Day 2-

Workout:

Nothing: Due to my travel time, I wasn't able to get in my Zombie 5k workout.  By the time I woke up I was already below 8 hrs sleep, and by the time I got home I was exhausted, the gym was closed, and it was too dark to safely run outside.  Today, however, there will be no excuses!

Food:

Breakfast: nonfat, non flavored greek yogurt, packet of oatmeal

Lunch: raw zucchini spaghetti with raw onions, tomatoes, cooked tofu, and three tablespoons of pesto sauce (I swear, I still smell like garlic, and it was so freaking good!), and "Klingon Blood Wine" with was carrot juice with a few other veggie add ons.

2nd Lunch: Chicken, apple, walnut salad.  Because I was good on calories at this point, I added a tablespoon of ranch dressing

Dinner/Coming Home Meal: Homemade chicken noodle soup and four grapes.

Writing:

I did complete a very very very short flash fiction, which is what I was doing instead of posting here.

Summary:  I'm not going to fuss over missing the workout, though it does make me a little bummed.  With the hours I was traveling, I'd have to deprive myself of sleep to have gotten it in.  Food I did so well on, except the noodles in the soup so late in the day, which I'm trying not to eat any carbs at all past breakfast.  However, it was homemade by my mom, but the serving was petite.  According to MyFitnessPal, I was 20 something calories under my goal, so SCORE!  Finally, since I did take the time to write the story, the life goal is also complete.  SCORE MORE!

And there is so much here I'm not eve sure where to begin responding!  Welcome all fashionably late Starks!  (Especially you, Arya.  I had always wondered what an awesome team Danny and Arya would make if they teamed up in the books, and now we get to find out before Winds of Winter.  And Jacqui, welcome and be prepared to be converted to the books, and good luck on your challenge!

Also, this is such an active supportive team; if all of us keep it up for the rest of the challenge, I believe we can all make it to the end!

Okay, I'm going to get my day going, and report back on the day 3 summary.

Day 2 down, 40 more to go!

PS: Someone mentioned something about the carb/dairy cravings?  I've had that problem A LOT, and it's the main reason I don't want to go full-hog paleo.  What I did was start my breakfast with good carbs and dairy (greek yogurt with honey and oatmeal) to curb that craving while having all day to burn the excess sugars off. Also, from eating that raw zucchini spaghetti yesterday, I found it was really filling and curbed the carb craving because it tricked my mind into thinking I was eating carbs.  Maybe looking into how to shred zucchini like noodles would help?  Good luck on resisting today!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them" ~Einstein

Half-Elf Ranger, Level 2, Assassin Level 1

Str: 3  Dex: 1  Agi: 3  Con: 3  Wis: 2  Cha: 1

Current Challenge: Targaryen Begins Her Jedi Training Anew

Snowfox: Crossfit is so challenging. My long term goal is to start doing crossfit workout regurlarly. I did them for a little but lack the stamina so Im hoping to get myself to that point

Believe me, I had no athletic background when I started. I lack stamina/endurance too! That's WHY we do it - to improve :) It doesn't require you to be athletic before you begin - you'll get there by scaling the workouts and giving it your best every day. You'll see improvements as you stick with it! Good luck!

Multiclassed Knife Dancer [Warrior Monk Range-sassin and Druid-in-training]

"Tiny, but FIERCE!" -The Dresden Files

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Challenges: 1 | 2 3 | 4 

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Say hi IRL: Instagram Facebook NF Profile

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines