The Gurren Brigade - Who The Hell Do You Think We Are!?!

Well, well, well! Aren't we all just a bunch of successful people? haha. My first day (If you can call 1600-0300 a day) has gone swimmingly as well so far. I ate some terrible fish and chicken with some green beans (galley food) and a few pork chops and broccoli for my fuel today. Completed most of my Week 1 Day 1 TRX workout before my elbow gave up and I strained some muscles too hard. The mobility required for that thing is on another level haha. I'm about to sit down and enjoy a night cap while I complete a Japanese lesson before dental routine and hitting the hay.

I'm super stoked every one is doing so well on their first day. Jodi I feel ya on the food front though, tomorrow I'll probably be burning up both my allotted cheat meals for the week since it's going to be the first off-work day in the past three weeks and were going out in town to check out the local places. Which of course means local cuisine, and I'm not sure when my next chance will be to get to eat out in town again so if I have to use them, might as well use them trying something new! That being said I've also been doing a bunch of online snooping for some Paleo recipes for normal foods that I love (especially stuff that involves noodles). I've found a few alternatives for the noodles besides the preparation heavy spaghetti squash that seem to fit the bill.

The first one is a pretty simple kitchen tool called a Spirelli, some of you may have heard or seen it before but not me and it blew my mind haha.

It's pretty straight forward, take a zucchini or squash and push it through that bad boy to make some "noodles". Looks pretty easy and fast which is what I'm all about. In regards to food that is haha.

This next one looks like a complete twin to real noodles and is apparently just as bland so you can flavor them however you'd like.

http://www.kelpnoodles.com/recipes.html

I'm talking about kelp noodles. I'm about to buy stock in these bad boys just because now once I find a Paleo/Primal alfredo recipe my world can be complete again hahaha. (any meat + alfredo is my most favorite food in the world next to garlic bread)

So yeah! If you're looking into Paleo/Primal like I know some of us are and are worried about noodle and bread separation like I was, here are some cheap and easy alternatives. Trust me when I say that Paleo/Primal is getting to the point where it's been around so long people are inventing Paleo/Primal versions of foods all the time haha.

With that, I'll leave you to a video of my reaction the first time someone told me about bread. Keep kicking ass Gurren Brigade!

If you find a alfredo paleo recipe, i beg you to share! I love alfredo to but I haven't found a paleo alfredo sauce. Spagetti squash sure does save me from cheating with pasta, pop it in the oven for a good 30 min you have an easy meal :)

Hey! Hey!! Hey!!! We here at the Gurren Brigade are all about gratuitous exclamation marks! If you mean it, you've got to exclaim it right?! Right! Welcome to our rag tag team of newbies PhDifferent (We'll call ya Bee, after your subject's name haha) and congratulations on killing your first day! I see you haven't become a zombie yet so that's good, we could use a soon to be Dr. to do doctor-ly things (I am not a smart man) haha. On a side note, bad puns are very much welcome here....

Excellent! Glad to be here, and gladder still that both gratuitous use of exclamation marks *and* (bad) puns are welcome, I excel at both! 

Bee checking in for day two! I'm already 'up and at it', writing away (been up and writing since 7:30am). I'll be hitting the yoga mat later, but no big fitness things today - tomorrow is sprints and BBWW, Friday is the Kettlebell again. Still, I wanted to wish everyone else an *awesome* Day 2! Kick some ass! 

A Level 3 Wood Elf Finding Her Way

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.†William G.T. Shedd

My People  :livid:

Current Challenge: Taking Time

@Bee, probably a silly question, but what does 'BBWW' stand for? People have been using it all over the site and I'm totally at a loss...

"Whatever doesn't kill me... had better start running."

Challenge: 1, 2

I would say there is no problem with joining Ayla - im not sure how many people we are allowed to have but Im sure Hero will be able to get it all sorted!!

So my (late) update about how my first day went ..... I hit my current goal of deadlifting my bodyweight!!! ... definitely a good way to start the challenge!! I have done a proper update in my own thread but I smashed yesterday and very happy with myself. Just a recap:

• Progress Goal - upped my DL weight, added an extra set on Press with a higher weight, and did goblet squats with a higher weight then last time. I would call that accomplished 
  • Habit Goal - I turned up to the gym despite a horrid migraine and worked through, so again i think thats accomplished.
  • Fuel Goal - Protein target reached, and overtaken! Accomplished
  • Life Goal - First Uni assignment for the semester submitted ON TIME - Accomplished!

Congrats to everyone else for smashing their first day - together we are going to achieve greatness!! haha

Congrats! Serious tip o' the hat for working through a migraine! Unless I get some sort of painkiller in me quick, I'm normally a vomiting mess with those things (er...TMI?). And, congrats on the on-time assignment submission! That always feels good :)

Oh, pick me pick me!!!!!!!!! (<-- please note the gratuitous exclamation marks for effect). Seems like an matrix of motivated mavens. Ok, I don't really know why gratuitous alliteration had to enter the dialogue, but it's awesome to read all of your enthusiasm so far! Would love to be part of the squad. 

Yesssss! Alliteration, another one of my favourite things! 

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.†William G.T. Shedd

@Bee, probably a silly question, but what does 'BBWW' stand for? People have been using it all over the site and I'm totally at a loss...

Beginner Body-Weight Workout :) I know, I was a terrible academic there - I should define the term before using the acronym! 

Beginner Body-Weight Workout :) I know, I was a terrible academic there - I should define the term before using the acronym! 

No worries! I'm sure it's already been defined multiple times on the site... :-P

Congrats on getting an early start!

Now, time to go do science...

5382848686_c3a2ce6678.jpg

"Whatever doesn't kill me... had better start running."

Challenge: 1, 2

Welcome all the newcomers to the group!

Progress Goal - upped my DL weight, added an extra set on Press with a higher weight, and did goblet squats with a higher weight then last time. I would call that accomplished

I have a hilarious picture in my head for "goblet squats" that I'm sure is not anything like what they actually are. Great work on your lifting!

Oh, pick me pick me!!!!!!!!! (<-- please note the gratuitous exclamation marks for effect). Seems like an matrix of motivated mavens. Ok, I don't really know why gratuitous alliteration had to enter the dialogue, but it's awesome to read all of your enthusiasm so far! Would love to be part of the squad. 

You can never have too many exclamation marks!!!ONEONE111!! Also, amazingly accurate alliterative aside you have there (whew that's a stretch). :joyous:

Forgetting To Define Acronyms First (FTDAF) is an epidemic in a lot of the literature I've read over the past four years.

5382848686_c3a2ce6678.jpg

XKCD for the win!

Level 1 Human Onion Knight

Str 1, Dex 0, Sta 3, Con 2, Wis 3, Cha 1

Threads: Introduction | Challenge | The Brigade

Other Sites: Fitocracy | MyFitnessPal

Hey now, that's the spirit we're looking for! No migraines or burpees are strong enough to hold us back! Nice job on working through pain Vixen and Snow. Shelbs excellent work on the Paleo willpower! I'd also like to give some recognition to our humble Meta over there for kicking his first day of the challenge in the ass as well even though he hasn't said anything yet. You guys didn't think I wasn't checking all of your challenge threads and battle logs outside of just our Brigade's thread did you? haha.

Let's also take a moment to welcome the new recruits! First up we have, Mango! She wants to be strong for the sake of being strong!! I think that kind of attitude fits pretty well into our little operation here, don't you guys? Next up is Ayla! She intends to push harder, and go further at every turn and to do that she'll need to get stronger and healthier much like the rest of us. Seeing as how we have two prime examples of that kind of motivation from yesterday, Vixen maxing her DL while dealing with migraines & Snow pumping out burpees while getting thrown around during some Krav Magra, I don't see why we can't make room for another similar mind. For our third batter, we have CentredLotus (Cee-lo? Hahaha just kidding, we'll call you Lotus)! Her aim is to find balance in her life by re-wiring her brain to eat and exercise better while more importantly spending more guilt-free time on improving herself and taking breaks to do the things she likes. Sounds like she's got a level-head to me and we could always use some more people to balance out my madness haha! Last but not least, the newest of our recruits, Grneyedmusiklvr (Musik)! A music teacher in the countryside she aims to become a role-model for her students in both health and nerd-dom! Not too shabby a pull of new members this time if I do say so myself.

Well with that out of the way I suppose it's time I reported on my second day. Today was my first day off from work in three weeks so me and my crew went out in town to explore. While out, we visited the Okinawan Peace Memorial Park and the Underground Headquarters of the Imperial Japanese Navy (I'll put some pictures up for you guys below). The park itself is extremely sobering, if you're unfamiliar with the Battle of Okinawa I highly suggest googling it and giving it at least a once over. To put some perspective to that though, their equivalent to our "Tomb of the Unknown" soldier (which holds roughly 50,000 American Military souls) holds 240,000 American Military, Japanese Military, and Japanese civilian souls. This was also only one of the many monuments in the park.

Moving back on to topic however, the Memorial Park was massive and while I can only estimate, I certainly felt like I walked/hiked/stair climbed (read crawled) about 15 miles, so realistically I know I did at least 10 miles. I'm pretty sure I shed about ten pounds in water weight in sweat alone haha, it was about 95 degrees Fahrenheit with 100% humidity out, damn tropical islands! We finished the park around 1300 (1PM) and hurried over to the Underground museum which was immensely interesting as it told the Battle of Okinawa, which put all the more gravity on the monuments we had just seen. After we'd finish our sight seeing, around 1600 (4PM), we realized none of us had really eaten all day. I'd made a strawberry banana smoothie (Paleo, of course) that morning but it certainly hadn't lasted most of the morning let alone into the afternoon. So after an hour, hour and a half drive back we tried to hit up a local ramen shop. Except, they were almost all closed until 1800 (6PM). We walked the strip looking for an open ramen shop for another 45 minutes (About another two miles of walking in, woohoo!) until we finally found one open; where I proceeded to indulge myself in my one of allotted cheat meals for the week. Now I'll spare the details because you're all doing kick ass and I won't be your pillar of temptation for breaking your diets but let me say one thing. I can never go back to instant ramen haha.

Anyways after our outing I came back home and proceeded to pass. the. hell. out. Now I'm up again, checking on you guys and getting ready to sit down with a drink and do another Japanese language lesson. Before I finish this post, however I'd like to take an interest gauge on something.

As Vixen knows I've been re-watching the Avatar: The Last Airbender series lately (A great series by the way if you haven't watched it). It's given me an idea for a Brigade activity we can all participate in and it might help all of us get to know each other a little better. I know the yoga/meditation gurus we have here will really enjoy this so it here is: We're going to open up the seven Chakras together.

"But Hero! what the hell are chakras and do I have to this?!"

The explanation for Chakras is below and no you don't have to do anything if you don't want to, just like leveling up your life this also is just another choice.

Anyways, onto Chakras:

"Chakras are nexuses of metaphysical or biophysical energy within the body. There are seven chakras, each situated at a different location in the body, albeit all located on a central vertical axis. It is derived from Hindu sacred texts. Each chakra has a purpose and deals with a different emotion. As such, each one can be opened and closed depending on a given individual's state of mind. When a chakra is open, energy is free to flow about the body. On the other hand, energy flow is restricted when a chakra is sealed. The chakras must be opened in a specific order, or the energy will not be able to flow. Guru Pathik used a series of connected pools as an analogy to illustrate the concept of chakras. These pools, representing the chakras, were connected by waterfalls and channels, and were initially blocked by algae or muck, representing an individual's own emotional debris. Due to this, the water, representing energy, stagnated and could no longer pass through the channels. When the clogs of algae were removed, symbolizing the opening of the chakras, it allowed the water to flow through the channels again, streaming through each pool fresh and clear"

In the Avatar, mastery of these chakras granted him overwhelming power. For us I think it might give us a clearer vision of ourselves and who we are, much like writing down our motivation did for our drive to better ourselves. So I'm suggesting that for every week we take a moment to write down or list out whatever that week's chakra details. Now since there are only six weeks, I figure we can just double up on the last week when our goals and habits are pretty well formed by that point.

So for example, we're in week one of our six week challenge so we would spend this week focusing on the first chakra. By focusing, I mean taking a few minutes to write something down and post it on here. If you meditate more on it than great! If you don't give it another thought, then no problem. So leading by example this is how I would/am do/doing the first one.

--------------------------------------------------------

First is the Earth Chakra, located at the base of the spine.

It deals with survival, and is blocked by fear. Let your greatest fears become clear to you. You may be concerned for your survival, but you must let those fears go.

My biggest fear is not leaving a legacy behind me, that when I die eventually I'll fade from memory. In Africa, there is a saying: "Every man dies two deaths. The first, when his body dies. The second when the last person remembers him dies." If I have to die, I only want it to be once.

My other fear is that I'll never live up to my full potential, that I may not be the best person I can be. Even just sitting here, thinking and writing about is giving me a hollow feeling in my gut. If there are great things that I can do then I want to do those great things. I don't want to miss out on them just because I wasn't living up to what I could be.

--------------------------------------------------------

A little soul bearing I know, but now you know me a little better right? If it's too personal don't worry about the "greatest fears" part, you know what those are on your own. You can try and do smaller fears, like for example, I'm terrified of heights and think skydiving is the stupidest thing ever. Again, if you think that this is the stupidest thing ever then you don't have to participate.

Finally, we're at the end of this long-ass post! It's okay, you can think it haha. As your reward here are those pictures I promised you: http://imgur.com/a/dF7tJ

They're mostly crappy phone photos but some of them turned out alright.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

Hey guys! My name's Julia. I think I'm the last to sign up on the google drive... I hope I'm not too late! 

I'm a college cyclist and musician studying electrical and computer engineering. I know, I'm all over the place.  :nevreness: 
I started the Paleo diet three weeks ago, and so far good results! My goal has been weight lose for the past few years. Now that I'm in the final stretch, I want to be stronger too! 

"Strong is what I need in my life to reach my full potential. Strong is what will get me through the pain of rocks along the way. Strong is what will beat up those thoughts in the back of my head that like to think otherwise. I will be strong."

Level 1 Gobelin Ranger, training with Warriors 

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 2|CHA 1

Accountabilibuddies: The Gurren Brigade --- Who the hell do you think we are?!

First Challenge

Alright! Another one! Welcome, aboard Julia! There's always room for those willing to fight! How've your first couple days of the challenge gone so far?

Thanks! Glad to be here.

I started yesterday with the goal to cut down sugar, add more vegetables to my diet, and to continue strength training. I tried Pilates for the first time yesterday and it was beneficial, so I'll continue going. Today, I had a "Boot Camp" class that focuses on strength training; I'll definitely be feeling that workout tomorrow. I cut back to 3 servings of fruit and brought in baggies of cucumber and carrots to snack on instead of more fruit. Tomorrow, I have a 6:30am ab workout and circuit training class right after. I plan on sleeping in my gym clothes so I don't feel unmotivated to get up, haha. 

"Strong is what I need in my life to reach my full potential. Strong is what will get me through the pain of rocks along the way. Strong is what will beat up those thoughts in the back of my head that like to think otherwise. I will be strong."

First Challenge

Haha nice! I might have to take a page out of your book and do the same, though I usually go at night after work haha. Maybe I can wear them under my uniform? Who knows! Good job on the three weeks of Paleo, keep it up and keep pushing! I'm doing my own caveat-ed version of a Paleo/Primal diet and I lost 6.5lbs (3kg) my first week! Though I shed and gain weight pretty fast so it's not that normal haha. The week before this one I only last about 2 lbs so it varies but it definitely works. I feel ya on the fruit though, I try to limit myself to one piece every couple of days.

As someone who actually went to Boot Camp you should let me know how those go! I'm interested in seeing what the civilian equivalents qualify as, I've seen a bunch of them popping up lately. Have you done a "Make it rain" drill yet? Those are the best and worst workouts!

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Today's challenge complete! Did my agilities along with some basic tumbling and the bbww. Feel really good now. Going to stretch it out then go play some minecraft with some buddies. Keep strong and moving on!

Belladonna Grneyedmusiklvr

Hobbit Ranger | Level 0

|| STR  || DEX  || STA  || CON  || WIS  || CHA  ||

|| grneyedmusiklvr || bodyspace ||

|| Challenges: 1 ||

•  

•  

That's right! Work hard, play harder! Good job on today! Keep pushing! Also if you make something cool in Minecraft post a picture! I can post it to imgur and get sweet, sweet upvotes for it bahahaha (While crediting the source of course!)

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Haha nice! I might have to take a page out of your book and do the same, though I usually go at night after work haha. Maybe I can wear them under my uniform? Who knows! Good job on the three weeks of Paleo, keep it up and keep pushing! I'm doing my own caveat-ed version of a Paleo/Primal diet and I lost 6.5lbs (3kg) my first week! Though I shed and gain weight pretty fast so it's not that normal haha. The week before this one I only last about 2 lbs so it varies but it definitely works. I feel ya on the fruit though, I try to limit myself to one piece every couple of days.

As someone who actually went to Boot Camp you should let me know how those go! I'm interested in seeing what the civilian equivalents qualify as, I've seen a bunch of them popping up lately. Have you done a "Make it rain" drill yet? Those are the best and worst workouts!

Oh man, I'm sure this civilian boot camp is nothing like real boot camp. But to this newbie, it definitely feels like a boot camp. It's about a minute of 3 different ab, arm, leg, or an entire body exercise back to back. Then a 15 second break. Then another different circuit all over again. We do 3 circuits? I think. So, short breaks, lots of reps.

What's a "Make it rain" workout?! 

First Challenge

Nice! That sounds like a pretty good workout, and true nothing will ever be like real boot camp. There's no whining, bitching, or moaning (I tend to do this to myself to get through my own workouts) there haha, trust me I tried and paid for it!

I've seen these "boot camps" around that are supposed to simulate a real one but I guess that's not what you meant, my bad! A "Make it rain" workout is something they do in Navy & Marine boot camps where they stuff towels in the bottoms and tops of doors of your living quarters; then they proceed to "beat" you (what we called punishment via exercise) in boot camp until enough sweat had condensed on the ceiling to start dripping. Mind you these were rooms large enough to accommodate 80-100 people including our head (bathroom for you landlubbers). Usually took about three hours or so and so far I've only heard of one civilian boot camp running them, that's why I was curious haha. 

As they say in Navy boot camp though, "You're going to leave here one of two ways: Stronger or Smarter" and boy did my division leave stronger haha.

Oh, they also had things called "Ice Cream parties" where they would bring in a gallon of ice cream and beat you until you it'd all melted. Those sucked as well haha.

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Nice! That sounds like a pretty good workout, and true nothing will ever be like real boot camp. There's no whining, bitching, or moaning (I tend to do this to myself to get through my own workouts) there haha, trust me I tried and paid for it!

I've seen these "boot camps" around that are supposed to simulate a real one but I guess that's not what you meant, my bad! A "Make it rain" workout is something they do in Navy & Marine boot camps where they stuff towels in the bottoms and tops of doors of your living quarters; then they proceed to "beat" you (what we called punishment via exercise) in boot camp until enough sweat had condensed on the ceiling to start dripping. Mind you these were rooms large enough to accommodate 80-100 people including our head (bathroom for you landlubbers). Usually took about three hours or so and so far I've only heard of one civilian boot camp running them, that's why I was curious haha. 

As they say in Navy boot camp though, "You're going to leave here one of two ways: Stronger or Smarter" and boy did my division leave stronger haha.

Oh, they also had things called "Ice Cream parties" where they would bring in a gallon of ice cream and beat you until you it'd all melted. Those sucked as well haha.

Oh my jeebers. I can't imagine. Props to you for going strong through it! 

First Challenge

Oh Wow!! thats crazy!! I had never heard of it before.

Most civilian bootcamps here are nothing even close to that - 'boot camp' just a catch phrase type thing.

Well done to everyone doing so well on the challenge!! my second day wasnt very eventful having been a rest day from the gym and also having no assignments due. Today however will be big - gym, assignment and hopefully high protein again. Trying to work out what snack to have before i hit the gym. What does everyone else eat before exercise?

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

Oh my jeebers. I can't imagine. Props to you for going strong through it! 

It's actually not as bad as you think, you spend so much time focusing your energy on the hatred you have for your Drill Instructors and fellow recruits that you don't actually notice the sore until after it's done lol. There's a lot of drama in boot camp that goes on that a lot of people don't realize, I hated half of my boot camp division at the time because if someone messed up during a beating we had to start all over again lol (Our Chiefs loved yelling "Oh look! _____ can't keep up! Hooyah Zero! That signaled that we started our count to X back at 0). I'm sure half of them hated me too though but we all ended up getting through it together. Boot camp was probably the easiest part of my Navy career and/or life. It's amazing how simple life is when you have people telling you where to be, what to do, and what time to be there haha.

Oh Wow!! thats crazy!! I had never heard of it before.

Most civilian bootcamps here are nothing even close to that - 'boot camp' just a catch phrase type thing.

Well done to everyone doing so well on the challenge!! my second day wasnt very eventful having been a rest day from the gym and also having no assignments due. Today however will be big - gym, assignment and hopefully high protein again. Trying to work out what snack to have before i hit the gym. What does everyone else eat before exercise?

Again, it's not as bad as it sounds when you're there haha. As far as eating before I workout, I usually don't. I like to fast before I workout and then eat 30-60 minutes afterwards. It helps to burn more fat and gain more muscle mass that way. If it's not plausible though I usually just eat some veggies (carbs for energy) or fruit (sugar for energy). Also if you're still having migraines this might sound ridiculous but I usually take Midol for it (or Mylenol [Midol+Tylenol] as I like to call it haha). As a man I obviously don't suffer the usual symptoms Midol treats but it's always done wonders for headaches and migraines for me.

Edit: Fasting is best for fat loss, and eating 30-60 minutes after is okay for muscle gain. While eating before is best for muscle gain and okay for fat loss.

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Thanks Hero. I usually dont eat beforehand either but was thinking about giving it a go. Usually i would eat at lunchtime, and then workout about 6 hours later without having eaten - was considering whether some energy shortly beforehand would help me get some of the lifts!

I dont think we have those here in Aus - but i do take Nurofen Plus (ibuprofen + Codiene) or Mersyndol (Paracetamol + Codiene + doxylamine succinate [Calmative]). These things are the only thing that I have found to dull the pain - nothing will get rid of it :(   In response to someone earlier in the thread - I only throw up when they get REALLY REALLY bad - like panic attack bad, but since i get migraines multiple times a week i have had to learn to work through them since I cant just hide in bed all day that regularly! I have seen so many specialists about it and they just have no idea. but at least this time around I am not using it as an excuse not to exercise

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Hrmmm, well in the USA Midol (Acetaminophen+Caffeine+Pyrilamine maleate) is usually an over-the-counter drug that women normally buy for menstrual pain. I take it because I used to get super-bad, nearly debilitating migraines, and one day my mom gave me some because we were out of Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and it worked wonders. Also, I don't know if you saw my edit but if you're trying to gain muscle mass, eating before hand is the best way to go about it, it also might help with your low blood pressure issues. Whilst if your goal is to lose weight, fasting before hand is the better way to go about it.

Lvl1 Human Ranger

Oh yeah just went back and re-read your edit. my main goal right now is to get stronger - i would ideally like a body recomp (more muscle/less fat but stay about the same weight) so i am eating at about maintenance and hoping since i am a newbie my shit will sort itself out haha. since starting I have gained a couple of kilos (~4lbs) but have lost inches so thats a good sign right?

But yes, I think i am going to try eating beforehand and see how that goes since fat loss isnt my main goal! I would say i could be described as 'skinny fat' at the moment :P

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines