GypsyHeart: road through the plains

Oh and I have done mini challenge 2!

I did these poses:

1. Half Moon Pose

2. Chair Pose

3. Child's Double Pec Stretch

4. Pigeon Pose

5. Plough Pose

which I found from this link someone handily posted on the challenge thread: http://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga_poses

It's great as you can search for the beginner poses!

Also I learnt yoga is so difficult!! I couldn't even hold the poses for long enough for the video to explain how to get out of them in the correct way! It was a really nice feeling though after, all my muscles felt nice and stretched out and relaxed. I would love to take yoga classes but I don't think I would have time to fit them in as I am so busy at the moment. I barely have time to fit in all my studying as it is. Definite possible future goal though!

+ 1 STR yay

I would love to take yoga classes but I don't think I would have time to fit them in as I am so busy at the moment. I barely have time to fit in all my studying as it is. Definite possible future goal though!

I like doing 'classes' off youtube. I used to do ones from a mix of people until I found one guy who is adorably earnest and who did the type of things I enjoy. For example, if I wake up and feel like yoga I do this, if at any point in the day my legs feel tight and ache I do this; if it's my shoulders I do this

I am still working on the 6am starts generally. Improving my mornings is something I have been working on for such a long time (actively on and off for years) and I thought making it a goal would give me the motivation to achieve it, but having tried for a week I think maybe I am still not ready. In the past year I have made huge progress in this area, but still more to be made. So deciding whether to rethink this goal or not, but still thinking about it! I have CBT therapy for my sleep so I going to try out a few more suggestions I worked out with my therapist and go from there this week, aiming for 7am starts at first. Thanks for keeping an eye on that goal though and I will keep you posted!

Rethinking it could be a good idea, maybe ease into the 6am by starting at 7am first and/or other suggestions.   And while it might take more than 1 challenge to complete, I think leaving it as one of your goals is a good way to track it, motivate yourself, and gain support from the NF community! We'll be rooting for ya :)

Also, good work on the poses.  Isn't funny how while during a challenge you get ideas for the next one?  I think I need to start writing those down so I dont forget haha.

Hey there. Just getting caught up on your posts from this week. The camp sounds fantastic: you clearly put in a lot of effort and got a lot out of it too. This challenge thing is kind of addictive, huh? :playful:  You can play around with yoga when you get a  free moment - it's great as a mood booster - and it's true, youtube is a source of inspiration. keep on trucking - you're doing great!

Hey Gypsy- I've been sort of following l'irlandaise around to cheer on as well..well, mostly be accident, but here we are! 

How are you doing this week? I hope you are doing great and not feeling too overwhelmed! 

Positive thoughts your way ;) 

I like doing 'classes' off youtube. I used to do ones from a mix of people until I found one guy who is adorably earnest and who did the type of things I enjoy. For example, if I wake up and feel like yoga I do

, if at any point in the day my legs feel tight and ache I do
; if it's my shoulders I do

Thanks so much for these classes Liz I loved them! I did the morning one and the shoulders one (I always get really sore shoulders!) and I am going to try the legs one next week when I have been on my feet day for hospital placement. The eagle crunches were so difficult I couldn't believe it when he kept making you do more! But so good for the muscles I will definitely be doing them again. Plus I can fit one in whenever I want to it's perfect! Any more recommendations gratefully received :)

Rethinking it could be a good idea, maybe ease into the 6am by starting at 7am first and/or other suggestions.   And while it might take more than 1 challenge to complete, I think leaving it as one of your goals is a good way to track it, motivate yourself, and gain support from the NF community! We'll be rooting for ya :)

Also, good work on the poses.  Isn't funny how while during a challenge you get ideas for the next one?  I think I need to start writing those down so I dont forget haha.

Yeah it's difficult to know where to set goals sometimes because of the balance of achieveability and making them too easy. But sorting my mornings out is so important to me I think you are right and I should leave it in there! I keep meaning to go through my goals and assign points and a grading system to each (which I will do soon I promise!!) but thinking maybe for the morning one I could award myself all the points even if I only get a C or above because it is such a big leap for me. Or do you think that's cheating a bit haha?

Hey there. Just getting caught up on your posts from this week. The camp sounds fantastic: you clearly put in a lot of effort and got a lot out of it too. This challenge thing is kind of addictive, huh? :playful:  You can play around with yoga when you get a  free moment - it's great as a mood booster - and it's true, youtube is a source of inspiration. keep on trucking - you're doing great!

Thanks L'irlandaise. And yeah the challenges are totally addictive - I think I'm in for life now! Hope your week went well too :)

Hey Gypsy- I've been sort of following l'irlandaise around to cheer on as well..well, mostly be accident, but here we are! 

How are you doing this week? I hope you are doing great and not feeling too overwhelmed! 

Positive thoughts your way ;)

Thanks for the positive thoughts :) and have some right back! And yeah I do find life overwhelming at times (like last week!) but this week has been much better. Starting to work through to do lists I find gives me a feeling of more control, and the easiest tasks can be done first - even doing washing and stuff - which gives me the sense of achievement and then the bigger ones somehow seem manageable when they didn't before. Plus I'm getting much better at catching myself being mean to myself and changing those thoughts so that's helping a lot.

Hey everyone!

Had a much better week this week than last week yay! Also can't believe two weeks have passed already. Times flies!

1. Go to the gym: I am planning this on Sunday so grade yet to be assigned!

2. 2 x work out at home: I did both workouts - both yoga as this is turning into my new craze! - Grade A

3. 7 x 10 bent knee press ups: I did this every day - Grade A

4. Get up at 7am: I managed this one day this week. Better than last week and a big achievement for me - Grade D

(7 or 6 A, 5 or 4 B, 3 or 2 C, 2 or 1 D, None E)

I am also progressing workwise as I have finished my first hospital placement of the year (intensive care) and passes both that and also the life support course we attended as part of it. I still have a few more lectures that I want to go through for the placement but hoping to get those done tomorrow.

And since doing the yoga stretches I have been thinking more about why my shoulders hurt so often, and looking in the mirror I have started trying to improve my terrible posture. I always knew I sat badly, but didn't realise how badly I stood until this week! So trying to remember to stand up straight. Not an official goal as I am not allowing to have anymore, but as I am hoping it will help the pain fair enough I think!

Here's looking forward to hopefully another successful week.

Edit: I did go to the gym (too hungover Sunday so postphoned til Monday but it still counts so grading myself an A. woop woop!)

Well done with this week, Gypsy! :)

And since doing the yoga stretches I have been thinking more about why my shoulders hurt so often, and looking in the mirror I have started trying to improve my terrible posture. I always knew I sat badly, but didn't realise how badly I stood until this week! So trying to remember to stand up straight. Not an official goal as I am not allowing to have anymore, but as I am hoping it will help the pain fair enough I think!

Ergh, I know exactly what you're talking about... *sits up straight* Hope that'll help with your back pain, I also like to stretch myself every now and then when I'm working by the computer.

Two weeks have gone by super fast! Soon it'll be three weeks, and then we're halfway done... Let's keep it going, then :)

. Plus I'm getting much better at catching myself being mean to myself and changing those thoughts so that's helping a lot.

Yes! I am glad you are catching yourself when you do think mean things about yourself. You are a freaking rockstar, sister. Don't forget it!

Had the best best time away on the weekend with the kids!! I had loads of fun and they had loads of fun too. We did rock climbing, obstacle course, ropes course, pond dipping, swimming, night orienteering and archery. My favourite bits were when one of the girls, Ella, finally reached the top of the rock climbing wall after lots and lots of encouragement, when we organised a girly night for some of the girls with lots of gossiping about the boys they liked on the trip and nail painting, lots of running around games like stuck in mud, and when all us coaches had a dancing session and taught each other lots of different styles of dance after all the kids had gone to bed! Such a rewarding weekend. And when I got back I missed having all the kids around!

Plus I am definitely counting the weekend as my work outs for the week as I have never done so much running, climbing, running, swimming, obstacle crawling over and under and inbetween and yes, more running after all the kids! My muscles ached so much after it totally counts as multiple workouts.

I have done my knee press ups for the day and am planning a gym day at the weekend and work outs during the week so determined to make this week a good one :)

Glad you had such a fantastic weekend! Kids are the most fun!

Well done for Week 2, and keep going strong!

How is week three going?  I'm checking in on our team today.  It's been inspiring to read the updates, even the ones where people have run into struggles but are hanging in there.  My newbies from the 1st mini challenge seem to have dropped out the challenge.  No updates since their first posts - but the Don't Look Backers seem to be going strong.  succeed, we shall!

Hi! I'm back to bother you! :D

Whoa! You're doing really, really, really great, aren't you? :D Many congratulations on that!

I'm terribly terrible at climbing, so congratulations on that too :)

It seems I'll get my inspiration from you, now!  :pride:

Keep going like this, GypsyHeart!

And a friendly koala bear hug to you!

Yes! I am glad you are catching yourself when you do think mean things about yourself. You are a freaking rockstar, sister. Don't forget it!

Yeah thanks Rogaecia!! I looked at your post everytime I struggled this week and it helped me feel better. Also it reminded me of the Pink song "So What" (I don't know if you know it?) And that is quite motivating as well in an attitudey kind of way so I think I will make it my new morning song to help me get going!

Well done with this week, Gypsy! :)

Ergh, I know exactly what you're talking about... *sits up straight* Hope that'll help with your back pain, I also like to stretch myself every now and then when I'm working by the computer.

Two weeks have gone by super fast! Soon it'll be three weeks, and then we're halfway done... Let's keep it going, then :)

And yeah three weeks already I can't believe it. Scary how fast time passes. I have found that my back has been better, so I am keeping going with sitting and standing well. It's easy to remember as every time I feel a twinge I adjust my posture, and I'm getting more used to it already. Do you do any specific stretches to help your back?

You're doing so fantastically well! And as to getting up early... it takes a looooonng time to adjust sleeping habits so every little bit you achieve is great!

Yes getting up early is such a 'mare! Why did I set it as a goal?? Still persevering though. I will tell you about my new plan in my update.

Glad you had such a fantastic weekend! Kids are the most fun!

Well done for Week 2, and keep going strong!

I find it so refreshing spending time with kids, as it's almost like they inhabit a different world with none of the stresses and strains of the one I live in. Arguments are brief and usually involve tears but resolve so quickly it's all smiles the next moment when things are forgotten. Some adults could learn a lot from that! And I also enjoy the opportunity for lots of silliness, especially with the younger kids. Making chicken noises and all giggling together, stuff like that. Hope your week is going well too!

How is week three going?  I'm checking in on our team today.  It's been inspiring to read the updates, even the ones where people have run into struggles but are hanging in there.  My newbies from the 1st mini challenge seem to have dropped out the challenge.  No updates since their first posts - but the Don't Look Backers seem to be going strong.  succeed, we shall!

Thanks for checking in mom2sjm! Yeah my newbies seem to have dropped out too. Ah well I suppose there will always be a drop out rate with things like this. Guess it means we have more time to look out for each other!

Week 3 update:

Goals:

#1 Go to the gym : Completed! Grade A

#2 2 workouts at home: Completed! One run, and one yoga session. Grade A (more on this below)

#3 10 press ups every day: Completed! Grade A

Life goal: Get up at 7 every day: No days achieved. Grade E

So not a bad week at all for me, with excellence in all my other goals being balanced out by my poor old life goal. I am pleased with all my other grades though as I have worked really hard to achieve them.

I went for the run with my friend. Those of you who followed me for my last challenge, remember when one of my goals was a 5k run, and I smashed it by running 7k, double the distance I had ever run before? Well this was the same run, and I was pleased with myself for how much I had improved. The first time I struggled, I was feeling it by the first leg of the run and I only just made it, running almost slower than walking pace by the end. This time I only really started feeling it by the third leg, and was still running at a running pace by the end, having run a bit faster all the way. My friend was impressed with me too! We are hopefully going for the same run this week and I am actually really looking forward to it. (Who knew I would ever say that!!) Oh and we were running in the rain which was actually really enjoyable. Nice and cooling.

I have formulated a new plan of attack for the mornings as I have been fading a bit where that is concerned. So that goes into action from Monday morning, and hoping that it will help. I have also made pancake batter this evening (yum yum) and promised all my flatmates I will cook pancakes for them at 7am so there's a good motivator to drag me out of bed. Fingers crossed it will work!

Here's to succeeding next week!

Sweet! "A"s across the board!You're rocking it. I've been flunking on my life goal too (I'm mean really, who wants to do math when it's sunny out!) :P Did your pancake incentive work?

Great job with the challenge, Gypsy!! You have a wonderful attitude, and I'm happy to hear that you're getting better and better at running! :) Try having a glass of water next to your bed, so you can drink it right away when you wake up. It's refreshing to drink it in the morning and helps you to get out of bed. But pancakes are alright, as well... Actually, they're more than alright :DD

Week 4 update:

Goals:

#1 Go to the gym : Completed! Grade A

#2 2 workouts at home: Completed! One run, and one yoga session. Grade A

#3 10 press ups every day: Done most days but I forgot a few. Grade B

Life goal: Get up at 7 every day: 4 days achieved. Grade B! YEAH!

(7 or 6 A, 5 or 4 B, 3 or 2 C, 2 or 1 D, None E)

Not a bad week this week for me at all! I think I am starting to get the hang of this whole challenge thing :)

Good gym session where I ran 5km in 35min (according to my friend "not a bad time!" Ran at 8.7km an hour. I normally run 3k at the gym so was pleased about pushing myself and achieving more, although I was definitely having a good day! For my other run, I ran with my friend again, and did our "two bridges run" as we call it, along the river. Last week I dazzled myself with how easily I did it, and this week it was SUCH a hard slog, and I ran slowly, completing it in 55 min (it's 4.1 miles or about 7k). I was proud of myself for manning up and finishing even though it was really hard, so almost felt as good as last week when I did really well! I know I put in so much more effort for this week, and it's actually really satisfying thinking to myself "It doesn't get much harder than that - if I can run when I feel like that I can do pretty much anything!"

Slightly contemplating doing some proper running training and making a half marathon one of my longer term life goals, maybe even a marathon but that's far too big to contemplate yet! It's just weird to think of me running properly, as at school I was always one of the least sporty kids, and apart from some dance briefly one year, I have never, ever enjoyed exercise. So a bit of a mental turn around and taking a while for me to get used to. What do people think about his one?? Answers please :) (also a weirdly scoutish ambition for me, something I never thought I would say!)

Doing a little weights at the gym too but realising I really need to research this more, and what exercises to do. I want to get strong arms, but also get rid of my flabby upper arms, and I'm not sure a few bicep curls are doing anything for that, so planning to do a lot of research on this front if I can find the time.

Yoga is also still going well. Hopefully that is improving my strength as well!

Life goal of getting up - this is my best score EVER!!! As in pretty much, the best I have done in this department in my life so far - not an exaggeration. I even ate some breakfast on two of the days. I normally have breakfast about twice a year not twice a week! So something in my new strategies must be working. Still an uphill battle though - here's hoping for next week to be just as good!

Thanks y'all for looking in to support me. I have not had time to go through anyone else's posts yet this week so hoping to do that in the coming one.

Oh year, I forgot to mention last week that I completed the mini challenge. I tried two new foods - olives, which I used to really dislike, and am coming to like now, and also chicory which I put in my salad. +1 CON. Although the challenge finished, I also tried anchovies this week, and also fresh figs. Plus I made my own stock from a chicken for the first time ever, and made my own soup for the stock. I have also been trying new salads which is fun. Todays was goats cheese, rocket, fig and bean sprouts. The one I made before had watercress, goats cheese, salami and chicory. They were both yummy, but the fig one was the best. I thought the goats cheese and salami went really well together in the first salad though so I will use that combo again. I also cooked lentils for the first time, although they were from a can, but it still counts a little bit! Definitely going through an adventurous cooking phase! It's lots of fun!

I also completed this weeks challenge of tidying up. I did half my room, and half the kitchen (including cleaning out the hoover and washing all the filters, and I am currently deliming the kettle) so adding the two half rooms together to count as one room. + 1 WIS

Will definitely find time this week to catch up with everyone else's journeys and reply to posts. Can't wait to hear all your news :)

You are absolutely crushing this challenge! It’s amazing how something like a running route can see-saw back and forth in how difficult it feels. It takes a lot of determination to finish a route when you feel like that. I think a half marathon would be a great long term goal. By proper running training, do you mean like going to a running clinic or talking to a coach?

I’m doing my early morning happy dance for you! Getting up early so many days in a week AND eating breakfast at least a couple times definitely warrants it. I think you’re definitely on the right track!