No registered users viewing this page.

GypsyHeart

GypsyHeart: road through the plains

Week 5 update:

Goals:

#1 Go to the gym : Not completed

#2 2 workouts at home: Not completed

#3 10 press ups every day: Not completed

Life goal: Get up at 7 every day: 6 days achieved. Grade A! WOOOHOOO!

(7 or 6 A, 5 or 4 B, 3 or 2 C, 2 or 1 D, None E)

So kind of a funny week in terms of goals this week! Totally nailed the getting up goal, except one day where I was very hungover, so very proud of that. I think it's because I started really using my daylight lamp properly in the mornings which really helps. I was a bit skeptical about the light therapy idea at first, but it actually really works for me. Getting up in the morning becomes a natural thing instead of impossibly difficult and a huge fight every day. I actually really like getting up early and having that extra time in the morning. It's a nice feeling.

As to my other goals, they slipped a bit this week. Partly because I was really busy, so for example my friend and I didn't have time to go for our usual run. And partly because I got a nasty cold on Saturday morning, and the weekend is normally when I go to the gym and do my second workout due to have a bit more time those days. So I cancelled both in favour of getting better. I don't want to have to take time off hospital placements, and I felt that if I kept on powering through I would just get worse and worse and then have to take a lot of time off to get better properly. (my usual strategy with illness, and an utterly rubbish one!) So I have confined myself to bed as much as possible for the past two days and am feeling a lot better, so hopefully will be totally back to normal in a few days.

The press ups I admit I just forgot about, I could perfectly well have done them. Will get on it next week.

So going into the last week of the challenge this week! And starting to think about possible goals for my next challenge which I am excited for!

Not entirely sure what to put as my fitness goals though. The trouble is although I would like to be able to commit to more time spent exercising, realistically I don't have time to gym more than once a week, and do home workouts a couple of times. With keeping up all my medical work, choir and orchestra rehearsal commitments which will start again in October, and general social seeing friends, birthdays etc it's just not realistic to expect myself to do more. But having the same fitness goals as this challenge of the same number of workouts seems very boring as it was similar for my last challenge as well.

I don't really want to do a diet goal either, as I eat really healthily generally so it would only be changing it for the sake of changing something, which will not be of any real benefit. I thought for a bit about trying paleo as a lot of people on here, and Steve, seem really for it. And while I can see that it's great for some people, I don't really get on board with the whole "grains are bad for you thing", and I couldn't live without dairy. So I don't think it would turn out great haha. And Steve also says if something is working for you, great, keep at it! so I shall take that advice and not change my diet.

What I would really like to be able to do is keep on running, and also increase my arm strength and get rid of all the flab on my upper arms. But there was a nerd fitness article that said if you want to build muscle, you shouldn't do lots of cardio as then you burn too many calories to build muscle. So I don't know if setting an arm strength goal and a running goal is counter productive?

Sorry for rambling on, but I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on the matter!

What I would really like to be able to do is keep on running, and also increase my arm strength and get rid of all the flab on my upper arms. But there was a nerd fitness article that said if you want to build muscle, you shouldn't do lots of cardio as then you burn too many calories to build muscle. So I don't know if setting an arm strength goal and a running goal is counter productive?

Sorry for rambling on, but I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on the matter!

I'm a beginner in this fitness lark myself, Gypsyheart, but I think Steve in one of his recent blogs talks about goal setting and a key is to decide on one main (fitness) goal at a time. It makes sense, given the short time span of a challenge. What about choosing to focus on running and improving times or distances for the next challenge. Then you can come back to arms when you're satisfied that you've made the progress you want with running. I'm kind of doing the opposite and focusing on strength training, but I am building intervals on non-strength training days. the interval sessions are a lot shorter than the strength sessions and they don't feel like "work" as a result so it also helps with motivation and finding time for the sessions themselves.

Hope you're feeling fully recovered from the cold. You're absolutely right to put your energy into recovery!!! Hugs for week 6!!!

GypsyHeart, you are amazing!

I'm sorry for disappearing again, hehe, but, seriously, you are awesome! I'll definitely be looking up to you in the next challenge.

Congratulations on your goals achievements! :D

Will you be with us in the next one or with the rangers? :)

Keep it up and, for the sake of the future of health in your country, do your homework, hehe.

A huge teddy panda bear hug!

Hello everyone!

Well it's the end of another challenge already. Time passes so quickly.

Unfortunately this week I had appendicitis and had to have surgery to have my appendix taken out! So I was obviously unable to carry on completing any of my fitness goals due to being ill and then recovering from the surgery.

I am much better now however and slowly recovering to full health.

Unfortunately our internet is also not working at home, hence the period of absence.

However I am going to try and post my end of challenge summary and do my stats update tomorrow.

And working on my goals for next challenge which I will definitely be participating in.

See you all soon! 

Ok challenge summary time!

My goals were:

1. Go to the gym once a week (E/A/A/A/E)

2. Do home work out twice a week (E/A/A/A/E)

3. Do 10 bent knee press ups everyday to work towards being able to do a proper press up (D/A/A/B/E)

My life quest:

Get up at 6am every day (and go to bed at 11pm each night). (E/D/E/B/A)

(7 or 6 A, 5 or 4 B, 3 or 2 C, 2 or 1 D, None E)

I have grades for 5 weeks, as this last week I have been unable to exercise on medical advice, and the painkillers I was made my very droswy so I have been sleeping a lot because of that and also to recover! On the second last week when I had the nasty cold and didn't get my excercise done it wasn't entirely my fault, so I have let myself round the grade totals up rather than down.

Final grades

1. B (Max 4 STA) + 3 STA

2. B (Max 4 DEX) + 3 DEX

3. B (Max 4 STR) + 3 STR

Life: C (Max 3 CON) + 2 CON

Mini challenges completed: 1B (+1CHA), 2 (+1 STR), 3 (+1CON), 4 (+1 WIS) (stat points added on at the time)

Level up! *insert catchy tune* Level 3 achieved.

I feel that when I put my mind to it this was a very successful challenge. And even with some weeks of illness and a bad first week, I have still done very well! I am especially proud of my getting up in the mornings goal. You can see the improvements in my grades through the weeks, and I worked hard at it to get the final A!!

So happy with that and looking forward to the next challenge!

See you all soon folks.

GypsyHeart, you're so amazing!

Despite of  not-so-glorious first week, you did absolutely great on the following weeks. I'm so happy for you! I can even hear some bard saying:

"Beware, o terrible creatures that lurk in the shadows, for no challenge cannot be overcome by GypsyHeart, the Brave!"

Hehe, seriously though, congratulations! :D

Keep it up for the next challenge!

A koala bear hug to you!

Late to the party I am, but I am finally catching up after too long.  Congrats on the awesome work even with getting your appendix out!  Look forward to following your next challenge too.

Hey Gypsy wish I was able to spend more time online this challenge, as a result of not having internet I missed a lot! Well done on your results, you put in great effort and held it togetheg despite the curveballs thrown in your path.

Best of luck for your new challenge!!

Hey Gypsy wish I was able to spend more time online this challenge, as a result of not having internet I missed a lot! Well done on your results, you put in great effort and held it togetheg despite the curveballs thrown in your path.

Best of luck for your new challenge!!